• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bruce Allen adamant that KC will be back next year

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Cousins to be Tom Brady not Andrew Luck. Take less money so we can build a defense and pay your WRs
we already can do that easily for the next 2 years

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Cousins to be Tom Brady not Andrew Luck. Take less money so we can build a defense and pay your WRs

Nice concept.. But Brady has ALREADY made upwards of $100M in his career. This does not include endorsement deals and money outside of the NFL. Kirk would have to be franchise tagged this year and next year to make half what Brady has.

Even IF we tag Kirk, we still have $40M in cap space before and cuts or reworks. I dont think Kirk getting paid is going to be what hinders this team.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice concept.. But Brady has ALREADY made upwards of $100M in his career. This does not include endorsement deals and money outside of the NFL. Kirk would have to be franchise tagged this year and next year to make half what Brady has.

Even IF we tag Kirk, we still have $40M in cap space before and cuts or reworks. I dont think Kirk getting paid is going to be what hinders this team.
Brady also has a wife that has made twice what he has. Its easy, we you have more money than Trump, to say I'll take a pay cut to fund others.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replying with, "Under the right set of circumstances" can be interpreted many ways. I'm only speculating but KC and his agent have sat down and hammered out what they think his value is. Unfortunately, his resume does not support what he and is agent likely think KC's value is. While KC is one of the best options at QB this summer, the timing of his FA status couldn't have come at a better time.
He hasn't won a playoff game. He couldn't beat a Giants team who had nothing to play for. While he did play well in the GB game which was ultimately the turning point for the Packers this year, it wasn't the same GB team who finished the season and tore into the playoffs. Other than breaking a few Redskin passing records, and improving his overall skill set which improved his play, what has KC done to deserve $22-$24M per year with huge guaranteed money?
Easy answer, not much. But I say pay the man and put all the pressure squarely on KC to not only perform, but take his game to another level which I believe he will be driven to do and by doing this, I truly believe this will be the start of building a new culture in DC that fans can be proud of.

HTTR!

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He couldn't beat a Giants team who had nothing to play for.

The Giants did have one thing to play for in that game. Making sure a division rival did NOT make it into the playoffs. If anyone thinks Mara wasnt stressing to the players and coaches, he wanted them to end the Redskins season, they are delusional.

The entire Redskins roster came into that game with a sense of... we got this, they wont even show up. The Giants beat the team, not just the QB.

If you really dont are about the outcome of the game, you dont play your star QB and risk injury to him. You dont leave your #1 WR in the game well into the 4th quarter. Ther Giants wanted that game and while a loss wouldnt put them out of the playoffs. A loss would be like disappointing dad, which might have been worse.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants did have one thing to play for in that game. Making sure a division rival did NOT make it into the playoffs. If anyone thinks Mara wasnt stressing to the players and coaches, he wanted them to end the Redskins season, they are delusional.

The entire Redskins roster came into that game with a sense of... we got this, they wont even show up. The Giants beat the team, not just the QB.

If you really dont are about the outcome of the game, you dont play your star QB and risk injury to him. You dont leave your #1 WR in the game well into the 4th quarter. Ther Giants wanted that game and while a loss wouldnt put them out of the playoffs. A loss would be like disappointing dad, which might have been worse.
I think the Gnats had a boating trip on their mind if you ask me.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Gnats had a boating trip on their mind if you ask me.

If that were true, Eli doesnt even play, Beckham isnt in the game in the second half.

Look I know its real easy to say.. Kirk lost a game to a team that had nothing to play for. But the reality is, the Redskins lost a game that we took for granted and the Giants wanted to win period.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no denying that Cousins still makes some critical mistakes (including picks sixes), but he has certainly improved in this areas since his early days. He also still needs to improve during critical games against good teams. Nobody is denying this. The Red Zone issues - eh - he is just one part of the problem.

My point would be that he has progressed & can also progress more in these areas. If you get rid of him don't just assume that you won't have similar issues with other QBs. There is plenty of room for improvement w/ Cousins & I think that the risk in this area far outweighs the risk of going w/ a different QB and hoping that they don't have the same bad luck that they have had w/ QBs for the past 20 years.

I'm not disagreeing with you, as I said. I think Kirkis morew than willing to do things that will continue to forward his understanding and improvement of his game. Still, I don't see posters who are somewhat apprehensive or hesitant when it comes to Kirk getting big money as foolish or KC haters. There are some valid concerns about Kirk imo, but as I see it. The Skins best option is to get him under contract and I don't mean that in a negative or just settle type of way. Kirk can ball and I think the Skions can win with him.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
compete means being in the mix year in and years out with a legit shot at getting there even winning

Yep. But again Alex Smith gets there year after year, Carson Palmer and Andy Daulton did too. All three had really good teams around them. The key to playoff success year after year is to have a really solid team and then have a QB who can take them to the top. I firmly believe Kirk can be better than those guys, better chance of that then finding someone better in the middle of the first round.

Last edited:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not disagreeing with you, as I said. I think Kirkis morew than willing to do things that will continue to forward his understanding and improvement of his game. Still, I don't see posters who are somewhat apprehensive or hesitant when it comes to Kirk getting big money as foolish or KC haters. There are some valid concerns about Kirk imo, but as I see it. The Skins best option is to get him under contract and I don't mean that in a negative or just settle type of way. Kirk can ball and I think the Skions can win with him.

Yep & there is no doubt some risk here, but that will pretty much be the case for all but a handful of QBs. People also need to get past the whole dollar amt. It is the cost of having a good QB & is unavoidable & unless you get very lucky in the draft (e.g. Wilson or Prescott) & have a young, cheap QB & even that is short lived. QBs are not necessarily paid based on where they rank overall in the NFL - it is more a question of timing and the shortage of good QBs.

As long as the Redskins somewhat protect themselves with Cousins overall deal & don't go nuts with the overall guaranteed money I think things should be good for both sides & for us as fans. No need to overthink this. I think that basically we are in agreement. HTTR

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this one on the comments section of WP article. Good catch by this poster:

As to #3, its all but impossible to predict college QB success in the pros. Just for grins, last year my son and I spent an hour tracking the fate of 1st and 2nd round QB picks over the last 20+ years. It's it's an ugly record. Bottom line is getting a good QB via the first two rounds is a crapshoot at best; getting a great one is a miracle.

1994 - Trent Dilfer and...wait for it...Heath Shuler.
1995 - Kerry Collins, Todd Collins, Kordell Stewart
1996 - Tony Banks
1997 - Jim Druckenmiller, Jake Plummer
1998 - Peyton Manning (#1), Ryan Leaf (#2), Charlie Batch
1999 - Tim Couch (#1), Donovan McNabb (#2), Akili Smith (#3), Daunte Culpepper, Shaun King
2000 - Chad Pennington
2001 - Michael Vick (#1), Drew Brees, Quincy Carter, Marques Tuiasasosopo
2002 - David Carr (#1), Joey Harrington (#3), Patrick Ramsey
2003 - Carson Palmer (#1), Byron Leftwich
2004 - Eli Manning (#1), Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, J. P. Losman
2005 - Alex Smith (#1), Aaron Rogers, Jason Campbell
2006 - Vince Young (#3), Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Kellen Clemens, Tavaris Jackson
2007 - JaMarcus Russell (#1), Brady Quinn, Kevin Kolb, John Beck
2008 - Matt Ryan (#3), Joe Flacco, Brian Brohme, Chad Henne
2009 - Matthew Stafford (#1), Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Pat White
2010 - Sam Bradford (#1), Tim Tebow
2011 - Cam Newton (#1), Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick
2012 - Andrew Luck (#1), Robert Griffin III (#2), Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weedon, Brock Osweiler
2013 - EJ Manuel, Geno Smith
2014 - Blake Bortles (#3), Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garropolo
2015 - Jameis Winston (#1), Marcus Mariota (#2)

I count maybe 5 - 6 greats in there, depending how one defines great, and maybe 10 good/very good, maybe another half-dozen serviceable, a lot of total busts. That's out of 72 guys drafted in the first two rounds. For every Peyton Manning there's a JaMarcus Russell....

Wow - for anyone advocating trading Cousins & using the draft to find his replacement you may want to think twice about that.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. But again Alex Smith gets there year after year, Carson Palmer and Andy Daulton did too. All three had really good teams around them. The key to playoff success year after year is to have a really solid team and then have a QB who can take them to the top. I firmly believe Kirk can be better than those guys, better chance of that then finding someone better in the middle of the first round.

look i am sorry but when i say compete thats is what i mean . i cant predict appearances

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look i am sorry but when i say compete thats is what i mean . i cant predict appearances

Will you ever admit that the method of trying to win Super Bowls, which is ever team's goal, with a middle of the road QB will limit your chances when compared to the team with a top 10-12 QB so therefore it's not been a proven strategy? Are you even capable? :scratch: I honestly do not understand what more you need to see. Alex Smith goes home and Ben Rothlisburger plays on nearly every January.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will you ever admit that the method of trying to win Super Bowls, which is ever team's goal, with a middle of the road QB will limit your chances when compared to the team with a top 10-12 QB so therefore it's not been a proven strategy? Are you even capable? :scratch: I honestly do not understand what more you need to see. Alex Smith goes home and Ben Rothlisburger plays on nearly every January.

if you read above , you will see that i did that i did . an avg qb does limit your chances , but that is a long ways from saying you absolutely need an above avg one . now i saw a joe flacco win and he hasnt done nothing since

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I still don't see where you admitted that but whatever. I guess the rub is sure you can do it with a Flacco but as you said it happened only once. So if it's rarely successful in my opinion it is a failed strategy so it's stupid to go down that road. Not sure you agree with that statement, interested in getting your thoughts.

With that said I think we both agree Kirk is not that type, he is better and has the potential to be even better than he's shown.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I still don't see where you admitted that but whatever. I guess the rub is sure you can do it with a Flacco but as you said it happened only once. So if it's rarely successful in my opinion it is a failed strategy so it's stupid to go down that road. Not sure you agree with that statement, interested in getting your thoughts.

With that said I think we both agree Kirk is not that type, he is better and has the potential to be even better than he's shown.
it hasnt happened just once in the 51 years of superbowls

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it hasnt happened just once in the 51 years of superbowls

You are right, it has happened a handful of times. In 51 years. And again none of those average QBs got close again. In 51 years it has happened a handful of times, isn't that enough evidence?

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And of course in the case of several of these average QB (Ryp, Flacco) they played like great QBs in those title years. When they reverted to, well, Mark Rypien, their teams had no chance.

Going with an average QB and trying to be a contending team year after year has failed far more often than the strategy of getting a good QB and riding that player as you build a team around him. That's pretty much the end of the story IMO.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 25 years I would take one Super Bowl right now. We can worry about two and three after we get to one.