• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns get Watson

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the range of outcomes take

Not so much with the latter. The teams that get their franchise guy generally hang on to him for most of his career

Perhaps you meant there aren't many that become that kind of guy...idk.
Ok. Give me a list of current QBs who have stayed on their team for more than 5 years

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to get on record with something other than snark…..

This is an absolute steal for the Browns. We are talking about a guy that when on the field is almost inarguably one of the top 10 players in the NFL.

And to get him for 3 firsts rounder plus a little change, while still being able to keep Baker and spin him off to recoup some of what was just sent away, is huge.

Obviously there is a big off the field hit that the Browns will have to absorb. But in 3 years the on the field impact will likely vastly outweigh the off the field impact. Watson in Stefanski’s system with the Browns run game should give the Browns a top offense for the foreseeable future.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. Give me a list of current QBs who have stayed on their team for more than 5 years

Because we have had a decent amount of franchise guys retire of late

Both Mannings
Rivers
Big Ben
Luck
Brees

If you go around the league when a guy has hit the team that landed him generally keeps him most of the way is my point.

With the transition we have a fair amount of younger guys leading the way

Burrow
Lamar
Mahomes
Herbert
Carr
Dak

And even guys like Stafford and Ryan who have had mixed success stuck with their original team for all or most of the way. Obviously Russ and Rodgers as well.

So basically I'm at over half the league has had an "it guy" and in those circumstances they keep him.

Watson is only available because he wanted out. Generally the qb and the teams find a way to make it work.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns are set to give Watson a new five-year, $230 million contract, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter. He would receive $184 million over the first four years of his new contract -- a $48 million raise over what he was scheduled to make under his current contract.

The full $230 million is guaranteed, sources said, setting a record for highest guarantee given to an NFL player.

Boy...If that don't make you sick

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, id take baker in pgh
good thing you're in the cheap seats then.

I do miss Across the Field and his takes after Bakers first season in Cleveland. Hell, I'd hide too.

Baker is a shithead with average NFL talent. Cleveland taking him 1 overall was sooooo Cleveland like

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Both Mannings
Rivers
Big Ben
Luck
Brees

If you go around the league when a guy has hit the team that landed him generally keeps him most of the way is my point.

Burrow
Lamar
Mahomes
Herbert
Carr
Dak

And even guys like Stafford and Ryan who have had mixed success stuck with their original team for all or most of the way. Obviously Russ and Rodgers as well.

So basically I'm at over half the league has had an "it guy" and in those circumstances they keep him.

Watson is only available because he wanted out. Generally the qb and the teams find a way to make it work.
It seems like you created your own narrative there instead of answering the question.

I guess we'll see how this plays out. Browns are going to be scary good if Watson doesn't bust

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyreek Hill was a risk when the Chiefs drafted him. They gave him $100,000 in guaranteed cash and a 5th round pick. Browns are risking three 1sts and $230,000,000. If Watson busts this will be the worst trade in sports history.
It is a ton of risk for sure but there was WAY more risk not signing him. Bc where does that put them and no Baker:
This season: if Watson went to ATL, they could go after a 37 yo Matt Ryan, keep Keenum or Mariota. Bridge QB and they aren’t winning anything.
Next season draft a rookie and hope he is the real deal, a ton of risk and if it does workout best case scenario they compete by 2025-2026 where all this young core is 4 years older. The rebuild has already happened the last 4 years, they have the players and are good financially for the next couple years.

A lot of risk for sure but more with no Watson and no Baker then even more risk giving Baker a long-term deal at $35M/year

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a ton of risk for sure but there was WAY more risk not signing him. Bc where does that put them and no Baker:
This season: if Watson went to ATL, they could go after a 37 yo Matt Ryan, keep Keenum or Mariota. Bridge QB and they aren’t winning anything.
Next season draft a rookie and hope he is the real deal, a ton of risk and if it does workout best case scenario they compete by 2025-2026 where all this young core is 4 years older. The rebuild has already happened the last 4 years, they have the players and are good financially for the next couple years.

A lot of risk for sure but more with no Watson and no Baker then even more risk giving Baker a long-term deal at $35M/year

Yep. The core is mostly in their prime. The only thing missing was certainty at qb

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good thing you're in the cheap seats then.

I do miss Across the Field and his takes after Bakers first season in Cleveland. Hell, I'd hide too.

Baker is a shithead with average NFL talent. Cleveland taking him 1 overall was sooooo Cleveland like
Have you seen our qb room dude? Baker might be an upgrade. Plus he makes funny commercials. Work with me here.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Both Mannings
Rivers
Big Ben
Luck
Brees

Burrow
Lamar
Mahomes
Herbert
Carr
Dak

& actually he did get resigned by his original team before he went all dickwad!
So if that was your argument/point. He would be on your list as well.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Browns are fucked with this move.
Year one is basically their throwaway year since they are expecting him to be suspended.
After that. He will avg 55 mil a year for the next four years. All guaranteed. Which means all the worthy people when they want their extensions will want more money & many wont be afforded. So you would look to the draft, except you are missing a ton of worth in the next few years of the draft. So even if Watson in those years plays like a top 5 QB. You will become the new Houston Texans. IMHO.

Now couple all of that with Watson being a me, me, me guy. Well. Good luck guys! :suds:

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Browns are fucked with this move.
Year one is basically their throwaway year since they are expecting him to be suspended.
After that. He will avg 55 mil a year for the next four years. All guaranteed. Which means all the worthy people when they want their extensions will want more money & many wont be afforded. So you would look to the draft, except you are missing a ton of worth in the next few years of the draft. So even if Watson in those years plays like a top 5 QB. You will become the new Houston Texans. IMHO.

Now couple all of that with Watson being a me, me, me guy. Well. Good luck guys! :suds:

There is likely a very good reason they kept their other 3 top 100 picks they have this year. They still have a decent amount of depth that is team controlled and a good dozen of their core is on tap through 2024. Some of it depends on where the cap goes.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 30,055.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats fair.

I just think its fair to say that the Watson trade is Boom or Bust and has the largest range of outcomes of any trade in recent memory. You guys are getting a franchise QB with a decade ahead of him or more of great play. But there really arent that many teams in the NFL that keep franchise QBs for a decade.
He's gonna be great for them but his "situation" isn't good at all. Females are gonna be bashing the Browns and all.