• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns ask Deshaun Watson to play Senior Bowl, Watson declines

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why wouldn't Cleveland trade that pick to bolster other positions, so when they draft their future QB he isn't on his ass every play

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I don't think Watson is worth taking with the first pick. I am thinking he is more an option for Cleveland at 12. That is where I suspect they might have to make a call on him.

Myles Garrett is probably going first but it sounds like people are already scrutinizing his effort and questioning whether he can be the next Von Miller.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I don't think Watson is worth taking with the first pick. I am thinking he is more an option for Cleveland at 12. That is where I suspect they might have to make a call on him.

Myles Garrett is probably going first but it sounds like people are already scrutinizing his effort and questioning whether he can be the next Von Miller.

Garrett's only skill is rushing the QB.....he will need some coaching because teams have success running right AT him.

He'll be fine eventually, but I wouldn't expect him to be lights out as a rookie. Of course they could always make him a pure rush end I suppose.

For some reason I think a lot of the QBs drop in this draft sort of like the Aaron Rodgers/Alex Smith draft.......

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson rolled up the BAMA defense back to back years people. On the biggest stage. Anyone know of a QB that has more than 3-4 TDs on BAMA's defense the past 2 years.

And the Tim tebow reference was comical. He didn't go for 8 TDs and over 800 yards passing with 1 INT against a big bad BAMA style D over 2 games.

Watson is a pretty special player. I think he goes top 3. Something tells me the Browns are going to take L Fournette

Didn't Johnny Manzeil do the same thing? Roll up the Tide in back to back years and went 1-1 against them. With his victory coming on Alabama's homefield.

Vince Young rolled USC's defense which was a team people were saying was the best college football had ever seen up to that point and on their homefield no less.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Johnny Manzeil do the same thing? Roll up the Tide in back to back years and went 1-1 against them. With his victory coming on Alabama's homefield.

Vince Young rolled USC's defense which was a team people were saying was the best college football had ever seen up to that point and on their homefield no less.

USC didn't have a BAMA type D. Johnny Manziel beat BAMA in BAMA. Tebow didn't roll anyone up in championship games. He didn't do anything close to Watson and not against a BAMA D either.

Johnny Manziel is an idiot and going to Cleveland didn't help him either.

Comparing Manziel and Tebow to Watson is funny. All you got to do is watch.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few things here...

1) Chad Kelly in 2015 had a 4 touchdown game against Alabama in a victory scoring 43 points. He followed that up in 2016 with 3 touchdown passes in an almost victory again scoring 43 points. So if we are going to look at a comparison of the 2 Chad Kelly had 7 total touchdowns but 0 interceptions and 780 yards passing. So no Watson is not the only one to have success against this Alabama defense over the last 2 seasons.

2) I gave the Tim Tebow reference just to show that stats don't mean success at the NFL level. Heck even having the ability to rise up when you absolutely need a play doesn't mean success. IF you are not an accurate QB that does present a problem in the pros. And for Watson there are some major concerns about his accuracy. On top of that he has thrown 30 interceptions over the last 2 seasons. That is just ridiculous. There are QB's in top college programs that can go an entire career without throwing the 17 that Watson did just this last season. That is just an unheard of number for a QB you are talking about going top-3.

3) Browns are not going Fournette 1st overall. Maybe at 12 if he somehow made it that far but with the last top-3 RB they took being a huge bust there is just no way they take him. I would honestly be willing to make a pretty sizable bet that he won't be the choice.

Ole miss had their number for sure but who else? It's rare to do that is my point.

Tim Tebow didn't light up good college defenses. He was a game manager in that situation and he was a good DT QB in college. That all changed at the NFL

Watson and Tebow is a terrible comparison. Some people were worried about Jameis' accuracy after his 2nd year.. He's doing ok now as a 22 year old.

I think Watson is a lot like Mariota and Dak Prescott. Not as polished as Dak but has the rest of the tools Dak has

He's the best QB coming out. Not sure where he get drafted tho

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chad Kelly might even be a decent NFL QB if he can bounce back from injury. I bet buffalo tried to get him late in the draft

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC didn't have a BAMA type D. Johnny Manziel beat BAMA in BAMA. Tebow didn't roll anyone up in championship games. He didn't do anything close to Watson and not against a BAMA D either.

Johnny Manziel is an idiot and going to Cleveland didn't help him either.

Comparing Manziel and Tebow to Watson is funny. All you got to do is watch.

Sure, Johnny's an ass, but I wasn't comapring him to Timayyy! or to Watson. I was taking your reasoning that Watson was gonna be a baller in the NFL (and you might be right about Watson) because he had a couple good or great games against Bama. And saying there's another player (Manzeil) that basically did the same thing against Bama. He's yet to set the pro football world on fire. Say what you will about Manziel not comparing to Watson. He balled against Bama both times just like you say Watson did.

Texas A&M at Alabama Box Score, November 10, 2012 | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Alabama at Texas A&M Box Score, September 14, 2013 | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Last thing I'll say about this. I watched both A&M/Bama games and the recent Clemson/Bama game. The player who I thought most showed that he was gonna be a baller in the pros was A&M's Mike Evans.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, Johnny's an ass, but I wasn't comapring him to Timayyy! or to Watson. I was taking your reasoning that Watson was gonna be a baller in the NFL (and you might be right about Watson) because he had a couple good or great games against Bama. And saying there's another player (Manzeil) that basically did the same thing against Bama. He's yet to set the pro football world on fire. Say what you will about Manziel not comparing to Watson. He balled against Bama both times just like you say Watson did.

Texas A&M at Alabama Box Score, November 10, 2012 | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Alabama at Texas A&M Box Score, September 14, 2013 | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Last thing I'll say about this. I watched both A&M/Bama games and the recent Clemson/Bama game. The player who I thought most showed that he was gonna be a baller in the pros was A&M's Mike Evans.

Johnny didn't have the mental part. Game over

Tebow didn't have the arm or the vision for the NFL.

Watson might have some accuracy issues but I chalk it up to him making lazy throws.

He's got everything Dak has besides incredible decision making. Can't coach that - it's more instincts

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny didn't have the mental part. Game over

Tebow didn't have the arm or the vision for the NFL.

Watson might have some accuracy issues but I chalk it up to him making lazy throws.

He's got everything Dak has besides incredible decision making. Can't coach that - it's more instincts

Fair enough.

I just hope the Skins keep Kirk Cousins and don't do anything to try and acquire Watson.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the 40 games they've seen in college aren't enough to grade him out I hardly think playing the Senior Bowl is going to help them figure it out

This is pretty shortsighted and ignorant. Coaches like to get there hands on a player if they can. Why would you trust a bunch of Cleveland Browns' scouts?:scratch:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is pretty shortsighted and ignorant. Coaches like to get there hands on a player if they can. Why would you trust a bunch of Cleveland Browns' scouts?:scratch:
He will be at the combine. That's all he needs to do. And it's more than enough

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will be at the combine. That's all he needs to do. And it's more than enough

The combine is different. They don't get to coach him for a week and through a game there.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The combine is different. They don't get to coach him for a week and through a game there.
I think it's pretty clear Watson is a good dude and super coachable. I agree that most players benefit themselves by going to these types of games but I just don't think Watson is one of them

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's pretty clear Watson is a good dude and super coachable. I agree that most players benefit themselves by going to these types of games but I just don't think Watson is one of them

Graduated in 3 years

I love seeing that about a player

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure why the Miller comp is there. Garrett is much heavier no? If anything he's more Justin Houstonish from what I have seen.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people say Jevon Kearse and that might be better. He is longer than Miller.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I responded to your original post because of what you said about the Browns wanting to see him. It is an advantage for them to get their hands on him for a whole week.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Big difference though between spending an entire week with a guy talking to him constantly compared to hearing from coaches/teammates/family members that he is a good dude. I hear about plenty of people who are good people but that doesn't mean I actually know them as well as I could.

And just because he is a good dude that is coachable doesn't mean he is a good fit. I listened to an ex-scout talk about it last night and he said that there is no other event like the Senior Bowl. Coaches/GM's/Scouts never have more access to players than at this event. They might get a half hour meeting at the combine then another hour or so private work out kind of time. Here at the Senior Bowl there are no real regulations on how long you can talk to a player from what I understand. So even beyond just the Browns getting to coach him for a week it is the other teams getting more access to him.