• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns ask Deshaun Watson to play Senior Bowl, Watson declines

Kumquat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You risk injury because there is no better place for players to get evaluated by teams than the Senior Bowl. Teams get to see you go against some of the top players in college football and see who truly separates themselves. Yes the tape is still the biggest part of the evaluation but this is also one of the first places they get to interview and really get to know these players personally.

Also this is a great place for small school kids to make a huge name for themselves. Quite a few small school prospects at the Senior Bowl this year and a few you will see rise into the top-3 rounds because of this week.

All true. Carson Wentz was not much of anything until the senior bowl. The Cowboys got to know Dak because he was head of the opponents in the senior bowl as well.

That being said Watson will likely want to skip it since he is already trending towards a first round pick, wrong as it may be.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's that moment when you see a hot girl talking to a guy and she says, "What do you do?" And he says, "I play in the NFL, I'm a QB for the Cleveland Browns." And then you step in and say, "Hi, I'm 'insert name' and I 'insert anything'." and you get a free bang.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson just won a national title and has little to gain and much to lose by playing in the Senior Bowl. His situation and that of Wentz and Prescott is markedly different.

Also...Cleveland holds the first pick. He has to do something, anything. I hear he has John Elway and Eli Manning on speed dial.

Kumquat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson just won a national title and has little to gain and much to lose by playing in the Senior Bowl. His situation and that of Wentz and Prescott is markedly different.

Also...Cleveland holds the first pick. He has to do something, anything. I hear he has John Elway and Eli Manning on speed dial.

If they don't take Miles Garrett with the first pick they might as well just close the franchise.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a glimmer of hope in Cleveland's play last year

No you didn't. Those were tears of despair from the players you saw.

When the sun hits em just right they glimmer.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson rolled up the BAMA defense back to back years people. On the biggest stage. Anyone know of a QB that has more than 3-4 TDs on BAMA's defense the past 2 years.

And the Tim tebow reference was comical. He didn't go for 8 TDs and over 800 yards passing with 1 INT against a big bad BAMA style D over 2 games.

Watson is a pretty special player. I think he goes top 3. Something tells me the Browns are going to take L Fournette

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson rolled up the BAMA defense back to back years people. On the biggest stage. Anyone know of a QB that has more than 3-4 TDs on BAMA's defense the past 2 years.

And the Tim tebow reference was comical. He didn't go for 8 TDs and over 800 yards passing with 1 INT against a big bad BAMA style D over 2 games.

Watson is a pretty special player. I think he goes top 3. Something tells me the Browns are going to take L Fournette

Few things here...

1) Chad Kelly in 2015 had a 4 touchdown game against Alabama in a victory scoring 43 points. He followed that up in 2016 with 3 touchdown passes in an almost victory again scoring 43 points. So if we are going to look at a comparison of the 2 Chad Kelly had 7 total touchdowns but 0 interceptions and 780 yards passing. So no Watson is not the only one to have success against this Alabama defense over the last 2 seasons.

2) I gave the Tim Tebow reference just to show that stats don't mean success at the NFL level. Heck even having the ability to rise up when you absolutely need a play doesn't mean success. IF you are not an accurate QB that does present a problem in the pros. And for Watson there are some major concerns about his accuracy. On top of that he has thrown 30 interceptions over the last 2 seasons. That is just ridiculous. There are QB's in top college programs that can go an entire career without throwing the 17 that Watson did just this last season. That is just an unheard of number for a QB you are talking about going top-3.

3) Browns are not going Fournette 1st overall. Maybe at 12 if he somehow made it that far but with the last top-3 RB they took being a huge bust there is just no way they take him. I would honestly be willing to make a pretty sizable bet that he won't be the choice.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems foolish to me. Watson is not rated half as well by scouts as he is by fans and sportwriters. Good news for someone who is curious in taking a shot on him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All true. Carson Wentz was not much of anything until the senior bowl. The Cowboys got to know Dak because he was head of the opponents in the senior bowl as well.

That being said Watson will likely want to skip it since he is already trending towards a first round pick, wrong as it may be.

That's a bit overstated. Wentz was the starting QB for two championship teams at North Dakota State going into the senior bowl. Fans may not have been aware of him, but scouts were.

Dak was a fall-back option for the Cowboys after they missed out on earlier targets.

Kumquat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a bit overstated. Wentz was the starting QB for two championship teams at North Dakota State going into the senior bowl. Fans may not have been aware of him, but scouts were.

Dak was a fall-back option for the Cowboys after they missed out on earlier targets.

Dak was a fall back option but they may not have pulled the trigger if not for the senior bowl. It's all speculative anyways.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did look damn good against Bama in both games. Wonder if his decision making will be questioned leading up to the draft? 30 int's in 30 games is a lot.

That stat for any college QB should be the one that has NFL scouts scratching their heads. And watching a ton of film.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That stat for any college QB should be the one that has NFL scouts scratching their heads. And watching a ton of film.

Exactly. And I wonder had Clemson lost that title game where exactly would his draft stock be right now.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. And I wonder had Clemson lost that title game where exactly would his draft stock be right now.

Not to be the contrarian, but Peyton Manning threw 33 picks in 45 college starts

They way he performed against Bama twice is a more important measuring stick for me, than how he looks in the combine or in Senior Bowls, etc.

I hated Goff coming out mostly cause he didn't win big in what was a bad Pac 12

I think there is a lot to be said about a QB that wins at the highest level vs the toughest Comp in college

(Im not counting Tebow/Run and shoot type gadget QB's)

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too big for my tastes... especially for a college QB with pro aspirations.

Part of it had to do with getting into come from behind shootouts with other high powered offenses that led him to force the ball. Other than the semifinal game vs Ohio State, his multiple INT games came against Pitt (43-42 L in a 52-70, 580 yard day), Louisville (42-36, comeback W), Florida State (37-34 comeback W), and the early season game vs Troy (30-24 W).

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of it had to do with getting into come from behind shootouts with other high powered offenses that led him to force the ball. Other than the semifinal game vs Ohio State, his multiple INT games came against Pitt (43-42 L in a 52-70, 580 yard day), Louisville (42-36, comeback W), Florida State (37-34 comeback W), and the early season game vs Troy (30-24 W).

Still exhibits a carelessness with the ball that pro defenses will take advantage of. Big question for the team that takes him is if that is a characteristic they can coach him out of.