• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns ask Deshaun Watson to play Senior Bowl, Watson declines

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame um but I think it sends the wrong message more often than not.
Way to many now play for the $$. I'd prefer to draft a guy who loves the game of football and the competition.
Why would you risk a poor performance or an injury if you're guaranteed to be a first round pick?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You risk injury because there is no better place for players to get evaluated by teams than the Senior Bowl. Teams get to see you go against some of the top players in college football and see who truly separates themselves. Yes the tape is still the biggest part of the evaluation but this is also one of the first places they get to interview and really get to know these players personally.

Also this is a great place for small school kids to make a huge name for themselves. Quite a few small school prospects at the Senior Bowl this year and a few you will see rise into the top-3 rounds because of this week.

Again good points, but if you're projected to go 15 or higher...as an agent I wouldn't risk my player.

It's perfect for smaller school SRs or guys that might be projected late 1st and later to increase their stock. IDK if he's a SR or not, but a guy like Tim Williams from Bama would benefit from playing in the game. Really just a chance for him to meet with coaches and they can gauge if this is really a long term trouble type player or a kid that made a stupid mistake.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again good points, but if you're projected to go 15 or higher...as an agent I wouldn't risk my player.

It's perfect for smaller school SRs or guys that might be projected late 1st and later to increase their stock. IDK if he's a SR or not, but a guy like Tim Williams from Bama would benefit from playing in the game. Really just a chance for him to meet with coaches and they can gauge if this is really a long term trouble type player or a kid that made a stupid mistake.

Yeah there are some prospects that probably don't benefit from something like this. I do think Watson could benefit because the QB class is just not set yet. I've seen 3-4 guys all being the 1st QB taken. So getting that extra boost over the others by being at the Senior Bowl could make all the difference. Plus a QB is still protected at the practices so limited exposure to possible injury.

Players I don't think needed to but did are OJ Howard, Dawuane Smoot, Ethan Pocic, and Taywan Taylor. Honestly the others I do think the Senior Bowl can only help them. The rest have a lot of question marks to their games that need to be answered.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: at the stupid Browns.

As if putting up 8 TDs and over 800 yards passing with 1 INT in 2 games against the most NFL ready defense in college football on the the biggest stage isn't enough.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now all Watson needs to do is keep all the hobos away from Jimmy Haslem, and he should avoid quarterback hell.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As if putting up 8 TDs and over 800 yards passing with 1 INT in 2 games against the most NFL ready defense in college football on the the biggest stage isn't enough.

He did look damn good against Bama in both games. Wonder if his decision making will be questioned leading up to the draft? 30 int's in 30 games is a lot.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure the dude will be a bust at the pro level anyways.

So he seems a lock to be drafted by the Browns

The only thing for sure is the Clowns will make the wrong decisions on draft day. It's what they do. Just look @ their past draft history.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tim Tebow put up huge numbers in college as well against some incredible SEC defenses. 2 great games doesn't eliminate the questions about his accuracy issues for most of the season where he was missing wide open WR's. It doesn't eliminate that he threw 17 interceptions this year and 13 last year. There are questions about accuracy and decision making that he needs to be able to answer.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would you risk a poor performance or an injury if you're guaranteed to be a first round pick?
like I said...I think it sends the wrong message MORE OFTEN THAN NOT.

besides....I watched Watson and I feel sorry for any team that values his play as 1st round ability.
This guy IMO needs seasoning with a clipboard in his hand. Way too many poor decisions with the football to play immediately at this level.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breaking news...

Deshaun Watson just announced if the Browns draft him he will retire.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like I said...I think it sends the wrong message MORE OFTEN THAN NOT.

besides....I watched Watson and I feel sorry for any team that values his play as 1st round ability.
This guy IMO needs seasoning with a clipboard in his hand. Way too many poor decisions with the football to play immediately at this level.
It's not uncommon for a first rounder to sit for a year. Even Aaron Rodgers did that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not uncommon for a first rounder to sit for a year. Even Aaron Rodgers did that.

True but if the Browns draft him people are going to be impatient to see him play. They have nothing else on the roster. Rodgers had a nice built in excuse to sit on the bench and learn in he had Favre ahead of him. Same with Brady having a quality starter in Bledsoe and Rivers with Brees. Fans get impatient though when they see that 1st round pick QB sitting on the bench and some mediocre at best QB continues to play

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but if the Browns draft him people are going to be impatient to see him play. They have nothing else on the roster. Rodgers had a nice built in excuse to sit on the bench and learn in he had Favre ahead of him. Same with Brady having a quality starter in Bledsoe and Rivers with Brees. Fans get impatient though when they see that 1st round pick QB sitting on the bench and some mediocre at best QB continues to play
We don't know for sure who the Browns will take. Watson isn't a given and maybe he sits behind Brees for a year or two. Who knows? I know the thread is about the Browns expressing interest but that doesn't mean much unless they actually draft him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah there are some prospects that probably don't benefit from something like this. I do think Watson could benefit because the QB class is just not set yet. I've seen 3-4 guys all being the 1st QB taken. So getting that extra boost over the others by being at the Senior Bowl could make all the difference. Plus a QB is still protected at the practices so limited exposure to possible injury.

Players I don't think needed to but did are OJ Howard, Dawuane Smoot, Ethan Pocic, and Taywan Taylor. Honestly the others I do think the Senior Bowl can only help them. The rest have a lot of question marks to their games that need to be answered.

I think this in bold is what the game has evolved into.

IDK if he's a lock to go top 15. If I represented Watson, I probably wouldn't encourage or suggest that he play, but if he wanted to play I wouldn't discourage it. I agree the QB race is close enough where a good performance could change his draft position.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You risk injury because there is no better place for players to get evaluated by teams than the Senior Bowl. Teams get to see you go against some of the top players in college football and see who truly separates themselves. Yes the tape is still the biggest part of the evaluation but this is also one of the first places they get to interview and really get to know these players personally.

Also this is a great place for small school kids to make a huge name for themselves. Quite a few small school prospects at the Senior Bowl this year and a few you will see rise into the top-3 rounds because of this week.
This holds true for most players, but Watson has nothing to prove by playing another college game. He has led his team to the NC game 2 years in a row. He beat tOSU and Alabama this year to get the NC. He can prove his self worth at the combine, but I don't blame him one bit for not playing in the Senior Bowl.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure for lesser players. In Watson's case, he doesn't need it. If 40 games of major college football, including two great performances in consecutive championship games against the best "franchise" in the land aren't enough for the Browns, then there are other issues that need to be addressed.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is still a lot of great evaluation they could do if he was at the Senior Bowl. They can get to know him personally over a week's period. They can get him into their playbook earlier if say they did decide to draft him and see how he handled it. All you can see on tape to a degree is the talent of the player. You don't get to know the person that is the player. While I'm sure they will do their due diligence in checking his background and such before the draft nothing quite like getting that 1-on-1 time like you can at the Senior Bowl.

All of that benefits the Browns, but possibly shrinks the number of other interested teams. Team visits and workouts are all part of the process; teams can get to know the player better then.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see you working Deshaun. Nice try young man. But you cannot escape your future as a drone in the factory of sadness.

Browns coach Hue Jackson said on Sunday that he won't hold Watson's decision against the QB.

"There are going to be other guys that are not participating either, so I won't hold it against him," Jackson told cleveland.com. "I don't think that's the right thing to do. He's still a draftable player, there's still a process we have to go through to evaluate him and see if he can fit here with the Cleveland Browns."

200_s.gif

Report: Browns asked Deshaun Watson to play in Senior Bowl

Watson needs to say something to piss that organization off so they won't draft him.