• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brown, Bell and the next CBA

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Needless to say that these two were able to exploit holes in a system designed to prevent the types of behavior Antonio Brown and Le'veon Bell not only got away with but for which they're in the process of being handsomely rewarded.

Will the owners view this as something to be addressed in the next CBA, or will they pass it off as exceptional circumstances due to demand for the rare talents of Brown and Bell.

I really do not think most players could afford to have bitched their way into dictating a specific sign and trade like Brown, or voluntarily sat out their way to free agency like Bell, but there do seem to be some vulnerabilities revealed that could hurt teams over the long run.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really sure what you're arguing...

So some player doesn't want to play for a team (for whatever reason) and decides to forfeit the money paid in his contract, and then signs or gets traded to another team? What the fuck is the problem? If an organization can't retain a key player, well... capitalism?

ANY player SHOULD (and have, this is NOT the first time) be able to bitch their way into another contract or team. Their value? Whatever some other team is willing to pay.

Not really sure what your point is Diamond... but it seems to be a fairly weak one.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the Franchise Tag basically forces a player to stay with that team and the player gets no say in the matter I see 0 wrong with what Bell did. If anything I can see players fighting for a change to the FT where a team can only use it on a player once. That way you're forced to play with that team for that year but they can't screw you again the following year by tagging you again.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Brown...the Steelers have nobody to blame but themselves. They simply let him get carried away with himself and did nothing to stop it. A lot of this falls on Tomlin's shoulders. Bell's situation is different in that he's so delusional in what he believes he's worth, and was willing to leave $14 mil or so on the table in hopes of a bigger deal. Some team may do it, but I'm sure most fans are hoping their team doesn't.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, if there's anything that should be addressed in the next CBA, it's the inherent abuse potential of the franchise tag.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Brown...the Steelers have nobody to blame but themselves. They simply let him get carried away with himself and did nothing to stop it. A lot of this falls on Tomlin's shoulders. Bell's situation is different in that he's so delusional in what he believes he's worth, and was willing to leave $14 mil or so on the table in hopes of a bigger deal. Some team may do it, but I'm sure most fans are hoping their team doesn't.

Never in my wildest imagination did I think we could get him for what we did.

I was thinking a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th.Was hoping to keep all 3 1st rounders and we did.

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really sure what you're arguing...

So some player doesn't want to play for a team (for whatever reason) and decides to forfeit the money paid in his contract, and then signs or gets traded to another team? What the fuck is the problem? If an organization can't retain a key player, well... capitalism?

ANY player SHOULD (and have, this is NOT the first time) be able to bitch their way into another contract or team. Their value? Whatever some other team is willing to pay.

Not really sure what your point is Diamond... but it seems to be a fairly weak one.

Brown was under contract for three more years. Does that not mean anything?

Also, the guy did not forfeit jackshit. I'm not sure where you got that notion.

You really have no issue with how he handled the situation?

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, if there's anything that should be addressed in the next CBA, it's the inherent abuse potential of the franchise tag.
Think the fear of abuse is much exaggerated IMO. Don't feel most teams feel it's wise to use the tag multiple times on a player. That expensive as heck. Also as Cousins showed it can work in the player favor. Only effect a very small percentage of players and those players are well set as is.
Think the players need to find a way where the middle class of players don't get shafted by one or two players gobbling up more then their share of the pie.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think the fear of abuse is much exaggerated IMO. Don't feel most teams feel it's wise to use the tag multiple times on a player. That expensive as heck. Also as Cousins showed it can work in the player favor. Only effect a very small percentage of players and those players are well set as is.
Think the players need to find a way where the middle class of players don't get shafted by one or two players gobbling up more then their share of the pie.
It’s the same ppl who support kaeps endevour and believe he’s blackballed while Reid is not. Think that we should feel bad for players blowing millions. Guys set for life by only doing a few years of work, who piss it away. We should prop them up more.

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd gladly get "abused" for $14 million.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s the same ppl who support kaeps endevour and believe he’s blackballed while Reid is not. Think that we should feel bad for players blowing millions. Guys set for life by only doing a few years of work, who piss it away. We should prop them up more.

Franchise tag and Kaep situation are 2 totally different topics

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cousins situation worked because of the position he plays.

In Bell situation, he plays RB where teams consider you done soon as you hit 30. The top QB's are usually playing at a high level well into their mid 30's

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never in my wildest imagination did I think we could get him for what we did.

I was thinking a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th.Was hoping to keep all 3 1st rounders and we did.
Brown's value has dropped because of age and being a locker room distraction. I doubt he puts up big numbers with the Raiders.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Needless to say that these two were able to exploit holes in a system designed to prevent the types of behavior Antonio Brown and Le'veon Bell not only got away with but for which they're in the process of being handsomely rewarded.

Will the owners view this as something to be addressed in the next CBA, or will they pass it off as exceptional circumstances due to demand for the rare talents of Brown and Bell.

I really do not think most players could afford to have bitched their way into dictating a specific sign and trade like Brown, or voluntarily sat out their way to free agency like Bell, but there do seem to be some vulnerabilities revealed that could hurt teams over the long run.
The Steelers are Fucking Bitches who were too scared financially to pay their players.

Pay attention.

Maybe the other owners should vote to send the Steelers to the AAF after the mockery they made of the entertainment business which they've all created just so people can watch players like Bell and Brown.

The fuck is wrong with you? Blame your team. They acted like cunts and caused all of this.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Acting like the 2 are the same is much more ridiculous.....
No , you miss the point. It’s the frame of mind of the ppl who support the notions. Not surprised you missed it. Usually when convos regarding Kaep and others heat up you make comments then disappear.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing it more and more across the boards on here

SteelersPride continue to act like it is a crime to have different opinion than he does on topics.