• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brown, Bell and the next CBA

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I choose not to discuss things.
giphy.gif

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found a few quickly. Wasn’t hard

No one said weeks and months, that’s you.

And once again who are you to tell me how I should post?

If I want to make 5 comments on a thread and never comment on that thread, WTF are you to tell me otherwise?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And once again who are you to tell me how I should post?

If I want to make 5 comments on a thread and never comment on that thread, WTF are you to tell me otherwise?
Moving the goal Posts. Have fun bud:suds:

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Steelers are Fucking Bitches who were too scared financially to pay their players.

Pay attention.

Maybe the other owners should vote to send the Steelers to the AAF after the mockery they made of the entertainment business which they've all created just so people can watch players like Bell and Brown.

The fuck is wrong with you? Blame your team. They acted like cunts and caused all of this.

Scared to pay their players?

The Steelers made Brown the highest paid WR in the league in 2017 within a month after his Facebook live nonsense in the playoffs. He agreed to take most of the money up front and got upset only after Beckham and Landry signed their deals last season.

The Steelers offered Bell a more than fair longterm contract, but it wasn't enough for his selfish ass. They were willing to pay him 14 million to play last last season, which he refused while repeatedly lying to the team about his intentions of playing.

It's astonishing that people are defending those pieces of shit. There was nothing even remotely professional or ethical with the way they went about their situations.

But, hey, they 're "getting theirs" and that's all that matters. Right?

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Steelers made Brown the highest paid WR in the league in 2017 within a month after his Facebook live nonsense in the playoffs. He agreed to take most of the money up front and got upset only after Beckham and Landry signed their deals last season.

The Steelers offered Bell a more than fair longterm contract, but it wasn't enough for his selfish ass. They were willing to pay him 14 million to play last last season, which he refused while repeatedly lying to the team about his intentions of playing.

It's astonishing that people are defending those pieces of shit. There was nothing even remotely professional or ethical with the way they went about their situations.

Wasnt Bell at the time offered the highest contract for a RB as well?

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reforms I would investigate are:
(a) cut the rookie deal to 3 years.
(b) cut tags to 1.

The reason I bolded above is I would like to see if the math works out for the players. On the face of it, it seems like you'd have some players going only 3 years instead of 4 . OTOH, this would shorten the cycle on the use-and-replace system that the teams use to get all they can out of a guy on contract 1 before cutting/tagging/allowing-FA (of course Belicik is the absolute master of this). It would likely cause depth issues, the teams may have to negotiate more 2nd contracts.

Like I say, would like to see some numbers on that, though.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(b) cut tags to 1.

The reason I bolded above is I would like to see if the math works out for the players. On the one hand, you'd have extra players going only 3 years instead of 4 (obviously). OTOH, this would shorten the cycle on the use-and-replace system that the teams use to get all they can out of a guy before cutting/tagging/allowing-FA (of course Belicik is the absolute master of this). It would likely cause depth issues, the teams would have to negotiate more 2nd contracts.

I think rookie deals are fine at 4 years.
If they could play favorites. Then maybe make RB Rookie Contracts be 3 years (4 if a 1st round) since they value drops faster than other positions.

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do not recall the exact details,but it was a lot of money, but Bell wanted more guaranteed, even with a history of availability issues tied to drug suspensions and injuries

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think rookie deals are fine at 4 years.
If they could play favorites. Then maybe make RB Rookie Contracts be 3 years (4 if a 1st round) since they value drops faster than other positions.
They're fine for the GM's and owners. Not so sure how fine for the players.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're fine for the teams and the owners. Not so sure how fine for the players.
they are guaranteed contracts. You are thinking of the few. Not the many. A lot of those rookies dont make it to the end of a contract but they get paid. Shorten it by a year & that is less money for a lot of them.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they are guaranteed contracts. You are thinking of the few. Not the many. A lot of those rookies dont make it to the end of a contract but they get paid. Shorten it by a year & that is less money for a lot of them.
That's what I was addressing with #47. Shorten the period that the teams can use the draft to stock the rosters to 3 years, more guys will be getting 2nd contracts. What I'd like to know is if that would drive up the median pay.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(b) cut tags to 1.

The reason I bolded above is I would like to see if the math works out for the players. On the face of it, it seems like you'd have some players going only 3 years instead of 4 . OTOH, this would shorten the cycle on the use-and-replace system that the teams use to get all they can out of a guy on contract 1 before cutting/tagging/allowing-FA (of course Belicik is the absolute master of this). It would likely cause depth issues, the teams may have to negotiate more 2nd contracts.

AS a fan I'm more concerned about having a quality product on the field. Hate the changes for less OTAs, definitely harmed quality of play for team IMO. Seeing how the bulk of players take time developing, I'm for 4 years contracts for rookies. Think it sucks a team developed a player and another team reaps the benefits. I'd rather see the pay scale for rookies go up enough that it isn't a no brainier to drop a mid tier player for a cheap rookie. I don't care about the tag thing, go ahead and change it, no big thing really. Maybe drop the second tag for more OTAs, I'd be for that.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Needless to say that these two were able to exploit holes in a system designed to prevent the types of behavior Antonio Brown and Le'veon Bell not only got away with but for which they're in the process of being handsomely rewarded...
Bell exploited a hole and is being handsomely rewarded? That runs counter to what 90% of fans have been saying over the last year.

Trade value depends on the contract a team is trading for rather than the player involved. A $10M player with a $5M contract has positive value. A $12M player with a $15M contract has negative value. The NFL is a resource based competition. The resources are Draft picks and cap cash. The more Draft pick value you trade the less you're prepared to pay the player, and vice-versa. The Steelers would have benefited from a high trade price with the new team paying Brown less. Brown would benefit from lowering the trade value. All parties played the game. The Steelers didn't play the game as well as they could have.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You wouldn't pay them but someone else is. The contract for Bell was Bullshit. That's why he didn't sign it. You eat up the Rooney's little PR squad.

The Steelers failed. Failed to retain their talent and failed to make the playoffs. It's a dying culture there because that's how management behaved.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wouldn't pay them but someone else is. The contract for Bell was Bullshit. That's why he didn't sign it. You eat up the Rooney's little PR squad.

The Steelers failed. Failed to retain their talent and failed to make the playoffs. It's a dying culture there because that's how management behaved.
and u cant win with your franchise qb? hows that working out?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(b) cut tags to 1.

I have no problems with 3 year, 4 year, or 5 year rookie contracts. 1 of the problems with the current CBA is contracts are way too cheap in the 4th year and unrealistic in the 5th year. In any system trying to control 1 pressure point leads to pressure building up somewhere else. I'd like to see rookie 4th year pay substantially increased outside of the top 20 picks. Teams would then have the option to pick up the 4th year options in which 30-50% of the money would be guaranteed as a 4th year signing bonus, or release the player as a FA. I'd like to see a similar thing with all players at an even higher value in year 5.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he wanted the stupid ass deal that my Vikings gave to Adrian Peterson. He didn't get it, because RBs aren't going for that price anymore.