• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Broncos @ Seahawks

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not down on him as an asset, but he did appear tentative - when in the preseason he blasted straight ahead on returns.
I saw at least once he ran up the back of his blocker. Definitely looked like he had the yips.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shout out for DJ Jones - who had a really good game in Seattle.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hackett picking the 47 as a mark calls into question his ability for logical thought.

is his brain wired to handle the confusion.

his main issue is you can’t call plays and be the HC during the game.

sooner he learns that sooner the team can become more in sync.

realizing this too late will doom him as this is a bottom line business

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hackett picking the 47 as a mark calls into question his ability for logical thought.

is his brain wired to handle the confusion.

his main issue is you can’t call plays and be the HC during the game.

sooner he learns that sooner the team can become more in sync.

realizing this too late will doom him as this is a bottom line business
I think this is more an issue of being too player friendly. More intel says that McManus after pre-game said that a 64 yarder was his range which is something McManus has constantly overstated in his career. Hackett's problem was trusting his player too much. The better more analytical approach that he is supposedly about would have been to look at the longest field goal in Lumen field (56) then McManus' longest 61 and settle in the middle around 58.

I don't believe you can't both call plays and be a head coach. Reid calls plays, Shanny, McVay, LeFleur etc.... so it can be done.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is more an issue of being too player friendly. More intel says that McManus after pre-game said that a 64 yarder was his range which is something McManus has constantly overstated in his career. Hackett's problem was trusting his player too much. The better more analytical approach that he is supposedly about would have been to look at the longest field goal in Lumen field (56) then McManus' longest 61 and settle in the middle around 58.

I don't believe you can't both call plays and be a head coach. Reid calls plays, Shanny, McVay, LeFleur etc.... so it can be done.
Really good post here, imo.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, it's his first head coach job too and I think once Denver got exactly to that mark, it was just kind of a mental blunder. Like, "Oh... well we're here... uh.... shit what do we do... uhhh.... oh shit.... uhhh......" hence Peyton screaming to take a timeout and talk about it.

And then time just kept ticking down, and then it got to a point where it was like, "Eh let's go for the win and kick it." I think your assessment of player friendly is spot on. End of day that's great a guy will tell you what he's capable of, but you're the coach and you need to make that decision completely on your own and stand behind it. The fact Hackett even brought up the point "McManus said his range was 64 yards." is a little sour, almost throwing him under the bus. The better statement would've been: "I know our guy can kick it that far, it's a long field goal, he barely missed it left. In hindsight it was probably a better choice to go for it and get him a little closer to increase the odds." And mic drop. But he kind of 'oh ha ha, ermm, yah..." responded.

All depends how he bounces back. You're a rookie head coach, you're being paid the big bucks to make decisions regardless of what your players 'tell you'. This should be a good learning point for him. Any coach that came in was immediately on the hot seat given what Denver gave up (picks, salary cap/cash, and players) for Wilson.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that’s disappointing

I know it'll sound bad (but fuck it, it's the Hoop) what I'm about to say, but Wilson did not look good on Monday. Slow, no scramble ability, underthrown passes, should've had 3 picks (1 by Adams and Diggs were gimmes and another by Bryant would've been a freebie if Bryant wasn't a bit more seasoned), and making stupid decisions (THROW THE FUCKING BALL AWAY, CHRIST!).

Not trying to shit all over you guys, I've always loved the Broncos (had family that I grew up with not too far from downtown Denver) but good fuckin' lord.

Eh we'll see how this week goes down. Week to week can erase some things pretty quick... I still think Denver gave up to much (players/salary-cap/draft picks).

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Form a Broncos fan perspective, it’s easily the best any QB has looked in Orange for the last 7 years.

So there’s that. :)

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Form a Broncos fan perspective, it’s easily the best any QB has looked in Orange for the last 7 years.

So there’s that. :)

I honestly don't think Wilson looked that good lol.

There was an EASY interception dropped by Adams.
There was an even EASIER inception dropped by Diggs (WTF was that throw?)
And there was an interception that most corners are going to make if they're not rookies on a severely underthrown pass that Bryant was there for....

I get you can't always tally things up, but Wilson was on the verge of a 3 INT game and had ZERO presence on the ground, which is the defining reason he made the playoffs/SuperBowl all those years to begin with.

Not trying to be a dick to this forum, I understand I'm extending the water a bit so to speak, but if I'm a Broncos fan I'm nervous, and this better be a HUGE weak not only on the coaching staff but Wilson as well. Nearly 350 yards, 1 TD, and 0 INTs? Oh that looks pretty, but if you watched the fuckin game it could've been 300 yards, 0 TD, and 3 INTs pretty fuckin' easy.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has never been an easy INT by Adams. Terrible hands. :)
Agree on the Diggs one.
I don’t think the one to Bryant was anything close to an INT to the majority of CBs.

What I loved were all the passes to TEs and RBs. We haven’t had a QB that could throw a screen pass in ages - that was fun to watch. I think adjusting to a new coach who inevitably will have a different system won’t happen overnight.

I also loved that the Broncos didn’t have a single three and out, that has something to do with the QB. You won - check back at the end of the season and let’s see who has the better record. Who knows, you may be right.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't think Wilson looked that good lol.

There was an EASY interception dropped by Adams.
There was an even EASIER inception dropped by Diggs (WTF was that throw?)
And there was an interception that most corners are going to make if they're not rookies on a severely underthrown pass that Bryant was there for....

I get you can't always tally things up, but Wilson was on the verge of a 3 INT game and had ZERO presence on the ground, which is the defining reason he made the playoffs/SuperBowl all those years to begin with.

Not trying to be a dick to this forum, I understand I'm extending the water a bit so to speak, but if I'm a Broncos fan I'm nervous, and this better be a HUGE weak not only on the coaching staff but Wilson as well. Nearly 350 yards, 1 TD, and 0 INTs? Oh that looks pretty, but if you watched the fuckin game it could've been 300 yards, 0 TD, and 3 INTs pretty fuckin' easy.
Well, to be fair, knowing what the QB is going to do before he does it tends to make him look pretty bad. I mean, the Hawks defense pretty much did that to Manning too.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I loved were all the passes to TEs and RBs. We haven’t had a QB that could throw a screen pass in ages - that was fun to watch.

We didn't think you had a QB that could throw a screen either ; )

That 1 handed catch by the TE was the best of the night.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
almost 70 % completion and 340 yards.

the issue on Monday was getting the offense lined up and ready to go with time to spare. it was the downfall of the team that night.

let’s see if they clean that up this week.

also Seattle had months to prepare for what looks likes their Super Bowl with the way they brought back players and carroll throwing his hands to the sky.

it was not a normal NFL opener for two 7-9 teams

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
almost 70 % completion and 340 yards.

the issue on Monday was getting the offense lined up and ready to go with time to spare. it was the downfall of the team that night.

let’s see if they clean that up this week.

also Seattle had months to prepare for what looks likes their Super Bowl with the way they brought back players and carroll throwing his hands to the sky.

it was not a normal NFL opener for two 7-9 teams

I wouldn't count on it. One of the very frustrating things with Wilson was the playclock always went down to the wire when he was QB'ing in Seattle. I'm not sure if it was him trying to analyze the defense, just slow to the line, or what... but he took forever to snap the ball. It always baffled me because on the rare occasion he did a hurry up or a comeback win it usually was successful.

I feel a lot of the false starts, delay of game, etc. are on him... and we saw that on Monday. Yes Lumen field is loud, but those couple false starts and delays were 100% on him.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't count on it. One of the very frustrating things with Wilson was the playclock always went down to the wire when he was QB'ing in Seattle. I'm not sure if it was him trying to analyze the defense, just slow to the line, or what... but he took forever to snap the ball. It always baffled me because on the rare occasion he did a hurry up or a comeback win it usually was successful.

I feel a lot of the false starts, delay of game, etc. are on him... and we saw that on Monday. Yes Lumen field is loud, but those couple false starts and delays were 100% on him.
He had 5 delay of game starts in the past 4 years. He had 2 on Monday.

I’d say that’s an anomaly.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had 5 delay of game starts in the past 4 years. He had 2 on Monday.

I’d say that’s an anomaly.

Eh, fair point you brought that up... I will still say Wilson routinely lets that playclock tick down super low...