• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boredom Cure ( non football)

Nascar Addict

"Rootbeer's good for your root!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyson. Even if both was in their prime. And even if Mike didn't bite. And I've gotten over the whole biting thang. Even if Evander hasn't.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
definitely Ali's career was much better. He fought other greats.

That era. Heavyweights were boxing.

Tyson didn't take a championship from any well known fighters.
(Berbick (sp) Smith & Tucker)

Don't think the heavyweight division has been as deep as Ali's era ever since then.

Not to mention that boxing was their NFL back then. Sadly I don't see those days returning.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great thread to cure boredom!
I'm going to add my 2 cents, best puncher ever is George Foreman IMO,
go to you tube and watch him knock out tough guys like Frazier and Ken Norton, really amazing. To bad he wasn't all that good of a boxer.
Best heavy weight boxer has to be Ali. I didn't start out as a fan of his, but you got to give the devil his due, he knew how to box like no other. Even at a old age he was showing young guys he still could show them a thing or two.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All you guys are so freaking biased against anything Philly. Everyone of you know that Rocky Balboa was the greatest heavy weight ever but you guys won't even mention him cause he's from Philly. Sooooo biased!

:laugh3:

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know in the early 70s a sociologist did a study across every country and continent in the world. What they did was show people pictures and they had to tell the sociologist who the person was. Ali won, guess who came in 2nd?

Jesus

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All you guys are so freaking biased against anything Philly. Everyone of you know that Rocky Balboa was the greatest heavy weight ever but you guys won't even mention him cause he's from Philly. Sooooo biased!

Hey ..I was happy when they put Stallone in the Boxing hall of fame.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"No one "WAS" Tyson and no one ever will be"

It's funny....IF I post that, I'm an ass hole know it all.

Think about their primes. Ali was outta boxing for a large majority of his.
Think about a broken jaw and fighting another 10/11 rounds against Frazier. That lose and Ali/Frazier 2 sealed it for me. Nobody was better than Ali to me.

You're misreading my post. Not no one was Tyson, as in no one was as good as him. No one was Tyson in the way one of the other posters said Sonny Liston "WAS" Mike Tyson. There was never another boxer with both the skill set and for lack of better words mental insanity that he had. You can also say no one was Ali and no one ever will be as well.

My point on their prime was that people in this thread are referencing fights he had that were not in his prime. So in keeping with the spirit of the thread those should be disregarded.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd vote Balboa if he wasn't jacked up on steroids.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ali vs Tyson would have been an epic fight in their prime

I go Ali all day and twice on Sunday nobody was faster or smarter and hit like Ali

Mike was strong and mean and fast but Ali beat men like him before George Foreman was bigger and just as strong as Mike but not as fast and Ali took George on a tactic being smart and holding out till George tired out can you imagine the punishment Ali's body took in that fight. And that was well after his Prime.

I take Ali with a knockout in the 12th round of a 15 round fight.

With all respect to Mike Nobody was ever better than Ali or has been since

JMHO

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it ended in the first two rounds, it would be Prime Tyson. His power punches were tested and found to be equivalent to an eight year old swinging and hitting a person with a baseball bat. No one can stand up to too many of those.

If it goes past two rounds, it would be Prime Ali. He was quicker, had endurance, and seemed to get smarter the longer a fight went.

The only question concerning a Prime Ali - Prime Tyson fight is whether or not Prime Tyson would be able to connect early with power punches. If Prime Ali were to go in arrogantly attempting to make sport of it, he would end up on his back. If Prime Ali were to go in intelligently he would duck and cover, pick his spots, and pick Prime Tyson apart, with a probable KO sometime between rounds 5-8.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
toughest fighter I ever saw was Randall "Tex" Cobb in his fight vs Holmes

Holmes thought it was going to be a short fight and Cobb took everything Holmes had to offer

Disgusted Howard Cosell so much about that fight and the punishment cobb took he never called a fight again.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it ended in the first two rounds, it would be Prime Tyson. His power punches were tested and found to be equivalent to an eight year old swinging and hitting a person with a baseball bat. No one can stand up to too many of those.

If it goes past two rounds, it would be Prime Ali. He was quicker, had endurance, and seemed to get smarter the longer a fight went.

The only question concerning a Prime Ali - Prime Tyson fight is whether or not Prime Tyson would be able to connect early with power punches. If Prime Ali were to go in arrogantly attempting to make sport of it, he would end up on his back. If Prime Ali were to go in intelligently he would duck and cover, pick his spots, and pick Prime Tyson apart, with a probable KO sometime between rounds 5-8.

I think I have to agree with how you laid it out. If Tyson can't hurt Ali early its pretty likely to go Ali's way eventually...

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ali vs Tyson would have been an epic fight in their prime

I go Ali all day and twice on Sunday nobody was faster or smarter and hit like Ali

Mike was strong and mean and fast but Ali beat men like him before George Foreman was bigger and just as strong as Mike but not as fast and Ali took George on a tactic being smart and holding out till George tired out can you imagine the punishment Ali's body took in that fight. And that was well after his Prime.

I take Ali with a knockout in the 12th round of a 15 round fight.

With all respect to Mike Nobody was ever better than Ali or has been since

JMHO

In his prime, Ali would frustrate Tyson in his prime. His jab; his ring generalship; his ability to get in, land a series of combinations and get out... Tyson never faced anyone like that. Hell - by the time of the first Frazier fight Ali was a completely different fighter than before the suspension. Tyson would throw one of those haymakers and Ali would counterpunch with a good 3-4-5 punch combination and skip away.

Now Ali of the Frazier era against Tyson in his prime - that might be a different fight there.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have to say Ali was a incredible person and still is. No one in modern history made a group of people feel proud and also beautiful. He was the first to brag and boast about how good looking he was in a time that racism was rampant. Black Americans needed to hear this at that time. He changed an entire culture by himself.

The social issues he challenged and how he dealt with them makes him more of a man then I could ever be. During the height of the racism he faced he said, "I will not travel 4000 miles to kill people of color when my own country wont even consider me as an equal." He wasn't even going to be in the field but his obligation to all people of color, the racism they faced, makes him one of the greatest people to ever live.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have to say Ali was a incredible person and still is. No one in modern history made a group of people feel proud and also beautiful. He was the first to brag and boast about how good looking he was in a time that racism was rampant. Black Americans needed to hear this at that time. He changed an entire culture by himself.

The social issues he challenged and how he dealt with them makes him more of a man then I could ever be. During the height of the racism he faced he said, "I will not travel 4000 miles to kill people of color when my own country wont even consider me as an equal." He wasn't even going to be in the field but his obligation to all people of color, the racism they faced, makes him one of the greatest people to ever live.

Boy that "Rocky" sure was a great movie ....:whistle:

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I have to agree with how you laid it out. If Tyson can't hurt Ali early its pretty likely to go Ali's way eventually...

That's exactly my point. Mayweather is a great example of this theory now. So many fans and boxers alike believe they can rattle or hurt him early......So many have tried Like Prettyboy Floyd Ali was a technical genius. Tyson had great boxing skills in of his own, but Ali was IMO the superior fighter. As much as I love Tyson I just can't see him beating Ali in his prime.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they were both great

I don't like the Foreman debate.
Tyson had him beat before they ever got in the ring.

First it was the rumble in the Jungle...... Foreman hadn't been taken past 5 rounds in what 7 fights?
So Ali takes the fight out of the air conditioning and makes him fight in what was it 120+ degrees plus humidity.
Spent weeks on weeks taunting Foreman to make sure he came all out after him from the get go.
All the trash talking had the crowd against Foreman.

And basically Foreman didn't really get knocked out he punched himself out.

Smartest fight ever fought ..... but it was smart months before they ever got in the ring.

On the who did Tyson fight part..... I cant see that being held against him. Not like he ducked fights. He fought every champion there was and beat them all.
It wasn't his fault he was fighting in a Don King poisoned boxing world. ( Which is why boxing is shit still now) Corrupt ass promoters
I used to love boxing .... but the last great years of boxing was the Bowe - Holyfield back and forth JMO