• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boredom Cure ( non football)

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but there's 3 boxers I'd take over Ali.

Tyson is one of them.

Wow I'd like to hear see the other 2. Let me take a shot in the dark Joe Louis and Klitchko? :puzzled:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say Ali beats Tyson but if Tyson won I wouldn't shocked. Ali was the first fighter I became a fan of, followed closely by Suger Ray Leonard. I also became a fan of the Great White Hope Gerry Cooney. I had him destroying Holmes. Boy was I wrong. I lost interest in the fight game after that until Tyson came along. I watch some fighters along the way but none held my interest. Now without Tyson I'm that way again.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ali by KO. The key was saying ''at their best''. Tyson was a great talent, but who was the best fighter he ever defeated? He was exposed against fighters that were less than all time greats. Ali was be so far up in his head, Tyson would try and bite off his ear......Really though, Ali at his best beat guys like Frazier, Foreman and Liston. I'm not sure Tyson could take any of them

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not me

I can remember Tyson almost on his knees ducking punches .... something that had never been seen before

Under Gus He was a machine

You must be younger than I thought. I don't know how anyone who watched Tysons career doesn't remember Iron Mike more than Rubber Mike.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Tyson is my favorite boxer of all times. That said Ropadope would absolutely work on Tyson. Mike Tyson showed signs early when a boxer could stick with him for several rounds he could be frustrated. Ali is the most intelligent boxer to ever enter the ring (Mayweather maybe 2nd love him are hate him). After 3 rounds Ali would have out witted Tyson and sealed his fate. Ali would have employed a similar strategy that Holyfield used. in a 12 round fight Ali wins 10 rounds to 2.

Ali was youse to beating physical freaks....Sonny Liston was the mike Tyson of his era Ali (Clay) embarrassed him.:suds:

Disagree on the ropadope thought.
It worked on Foreman because he head hunted. (only)
Mike Tyson (the good mike) didn't head hunt. he went to the body which ultimately gave him the head.

Think a lot of ppl think of him as being one dimensional, because how well he knocked out people. But he could hurt you hitting you anywhere. (even if it was an occasional elbow LOL)
Tyson in his prime never lost a fight. Ali did.
Tyson I believe would have destroyed Frazier. Frazier & Ali were a very good match.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree on the ropadope thought.
It worked on Foreman because he head hunted. (only)
Mike Tyson (the good mike) didn't head hunt. he went to the body which ultimately gave him the head.

Think a lot of ppl think of him as being one dimensional, because how well he knocked out people. But he could hurt you hitting you anywhere. (even if it was an occasional elbow LOL)
Tyson in his prime never lost a fight. Ali did.
Tyson I believe would have destroyed Frazier. Frazier & Ali were a very good match.

Couple of things stand out to me about the fight. It's hard to compare football players from one era to another because of the huge difference in size, but Ali and Tyson were virtually the same weight, so the comparison is valid. Ali fought guys like Tyson and had success. Frazier had a similar style to Tyson, Liston WAS Tyson and Foreman actually hit harder. Mike has some great KO's and he was quicker, but he did not hit as hard as George. Ali had a great chin and better movement than most middleweights, I don't think he'd have been KO'd. For Tyson, who did he fight that had anywhere close to the jab or speed of Ali? Answer is no one, but if you are old enough to have watched Tyson fight an old, fat, and slow Larry Holmes stick his jab repeatedly in Tyson's face until Mike finally got to him, it's VERY hard to imagine Tyson getting to Ali. Further, Ali had underrated power to go against Mike's suspect chin. Mike was great, but I don't even think it's close. Just my opinion, would have loved to have seen this classic matchup

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one "WAS" Tyson and no one ever will be. It was the anger and the pain that he brought into the ring with him that made him so devastating. He actually wanted to kill the guy he was fighting and tried. Grown men that were used to fighting professional boxers were terrified to stand in front of him and many fought in fear with the goal of just to not get hurt. One thing to remember when talking about "in their prime". Tyson's prime was very, very early in his career. The guy that fought every few months was an absolute killing machine. The guy that had the belt, the stardom and most importantly the money was not the same guy. To bring that guy nto the discussion is not pertinent. The thing that will always hurt Tyson's legacy was the quality of his opponents.

None of us has any clue what the answer is to who would win. Heck if Ali and Frazier never fought you could have the same argument for years on end, but they did fight and they BOTH won.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"No one "WAS" Tyson and no one ever will be"

It's funny....IF I post that, I'm an ass hole know it all.

Think about their primes. Ali was outta boxing for a large majority of his.
Think about a broken jaw and fighting another 10/11 rounds against Frazier. That lose and Ali/Frazier 2 sealed it for me. Nobody was better than Ali to me.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one "WAS" Tyson and no one ever will be. It was the anger and the pain that he brought into the ring with him that made him so devastating. He actually wanted to kill the guy he was fighting and tried. Grown men that were used to fighting professional boxers were terrified to stand in front of him and many fought in fear with the goal of just to not get hurt. One thing to remember when talking about "in their prime". Tyson's prime was very, very early in his career. The guy that fought every few months was an absolute killing machine. The guy that had the belt, the stardom and most importantly the money was not the same guy. To bring that guy nto the discussion is not pertinent. The thing that will always hurt Tyson's legacy was the quality of his opponents.

None of us has any clue what the answer is to who would win. Heck if Ali and Frazier never fought you could have the same argument for years on end, but they did fight and they BOTH won.

Very well stated, we will never know and it's not fair to compare different boxing generations because of training and nutrition available.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very well stated, we will never know and it's not fair to compare different boxing generations because of training and nutrition available.

Honestly, I don't see that much of a difference any of that would have made between a Ali/Tyson fight. Especially since we are talking heavyweights.

I'm assuming you mean that Tyson would have these advantages. But even with the advancements in training a boxer, I still see Ali as a much better boxer then Tyson. And as far as conditioning goes, Some of Ali fights were 15 rounds. Tyson never had to do that so I would give the nod the Ali in conditioning as well.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I don't see that much of a difference any of that would have made between a Ali/Tyson fight. Especially since we are talking heavyweights.

I'm assuming you mean that Tyson would have these advantages. But even with the advancements in training a boxer, I still see Ali as a much better boxer then Tyson. And as far as conditioning goes, Some of Ali fights were 15 rounds. Tyson never had to do that so I would give the nod the Ali in conditioning as well.

I already said I think Ali wins but I wouldn't be shocked if Tyson won. That said there is no denying today's fighters have better training equipment than Tyson did and Tyson had better equipment available than Ali and so on. Joe Johnson may beat both. We'll never know.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we could point/counterpoint each other forever on the subject.
I honestly felt when I read the subject most people would say Ali. (he is an icon of boxing)
If the fight happened & Ali won I couldn't say I would be surprised.
If they fought ten fights against each other don't think either fighter goes 10 for 10. Although I do think the more they fought the more the advantage would swing towards Ali.

I agree that Ali is a better fighter & a better career for sure, so I don't want to continue to state my case. All that would look like is I am a 100% on the thought & that isn't the case. (I am not a 100%) However it is who do you think would win & I do think if I had to put money on their 1st fight it would go to Tyson.

I do disagree with some things said here.

Foreman did have more natural strength than Tyson, & he is still the only guy I have ever seen KO a Champion caliber fighter with a jab. However I don't think he hit harder than Tyson (the Tyson in his prime) Anyone that has been around boxing enough. Knows you create power with technique & balance by using your whole body. that will generate more power to your punches than raw power arm punching.
The science of boxing has came a long way & Ali was ahead of his time in that department, but Foreman was not. Which is why when later in Tysons career he tried to go just all power & brute force he started losing. But in his prime he was a more devastating hitter than Foreman in my opinion.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already said I think Ali wins but I wouldn't be shocked if Tyson won. That said there is no denying today's fighters have better training equipment than Tyson did and Tyson had better equipment available than Ali and so on. Joe Johnson may beat both. We'll never know.

Jack Johnson.
Now that was one bad ass :thumb:

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jack Johnson.
Now that was one bad ass :thumb:

I missed named him. I meant Jack Johnson. Point was we can only guess who's better out of guy's who never had a chance to fight each other.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is another factor we have to consider. Who fought better competition? I 100% believe Ali ' s opponents were much greater than who Tyson faced. Don't judge the comp against these two but judge the comp against the rest if the fighters in their era's.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed named him. I meant Jack Johnson. Point was we can only guess who's better out of guy's who never had a chance to fight each other.

I knew who you meant.

I actually didn't even notice you missed the name LOL :doh: (I guess I read Jack Johnson)

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is another factor we have to consider. Who fought better competition? I 100% believe Ali ' s opponents were much greater than who Tyson faced. Don't judge the comp against these two but judge the comp against the rest if the fighters in their era's.

definitely Ali's career was much better. He fought other greats.

That era. Heavyweights were boxing.

Tyson didn't take a championship from any well known fighters.
(Berbick (sp) Smith & Tucker)

Don't think the heavyweight division has been as deep as Ali's era ever since then.