• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bird better than LeBron

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Bird couldn't perform high flying dunks but he was the best small forward the game has ever seen...and that's coming from a Laker fan who hated the Celtics. LeBron is obviously more athletic and a better one on one defender but, Bird was better at every other aspect of the game.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Bird couldn't perform high flying dunks but he was the best small forward the game has ever seen...and that's coming from a Laker fan who hated the Celtics. LeBron is obviously more athletic and a better one on one defender but, Bird was better at every other aspect of the game.

You are comparing apples to oranges here. Sure, it is easy to say that Bird's skills were better, but LeBron is highly skilled too. You can't simply say that Bird is better because he is better in more areas. The areas where Lebron has the edge on Bird, it isn't even in the same ball park.

The only fair way to judge this is by comparing career resumes. LeBron's is already comparable to Bird's and he is only 28.

Why does everyone insist on comparing a player not even half way through his career with all time greats? That is a testament to how great LeBron really is.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are comparing apples to oranges here. Sure, it is easy to say that Bird's skills were better, but LeBron is highly skilled too. You can't simply say that Bird is better because he is better in more areas. The areas where Lebron has the edge on Bird, it isn't even in the same ball park.

The only fair way to judge this is by comparing career resumes. LeBron's is already comparable to Bird's and he is only 28.

Why does everyone insist on comparing a player not even half way through his career with all time greats? That is a testament to how great LeBron really is.

I should clarify: Bird is better at this point. LeBron could certainly bypass him but as of now I'd take Bird.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Bird a better rebounder?

I don't think he's worse. The circumstances are different. LeBron has to rebound more because Bosh is the only rebounder on that team and he's not a GREAT rebounder. Bird had McHale and Parrish to clean up the glass.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should clarify: Bird is better at this point. LeBron could certainly bypass him but as of now I'd take Bird.

I agree with you, I just have a hard time comparing active players to all time greats unless they are near the end like Duncan or Garnett.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you, I just have a hard time comparing active players to all time greats unless they are near the end like Duncan or Garnett.

Obviously there are totally different dynamics at play here. I just haven't seen a more well rounded player than Bird. LeBron is an amazing talent but if it were my all time starting 5, I would take Bird.

Shoveyjoe

El Flaco
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't some old school player say something to the effect that if Bird was black, he wouldn't have been ranked as highly?

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bird was a great player. If you ranked him ahead of Lebron as of right now, I have no arguments.

That's all I meant to say. I have no idea what LeBron will do in the future but he is already an all time great.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont like LeBron. Never have and never will. Then again I have not liked the NBA since around when the likes of Bird, Magic and even up to MJ retired.

To compare Bird and LeBron does not work for me. Different era.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't some old school player say something to the effect that if Bird was black, he wouldn't have been ranked as highly?

Isaiah Thomas did. After the Celtics defeated the Pistons and Larry Bird was the main reason.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont like LeBron. Never have and never will. Then again I have not liked the NBA since around when the likes of Bird, Magic and even up to MJ retired.

To compare Bird and LeBron does not work for me. Different era.

It's not that I'm comparing but Bird is being overlooked because he wasn't flashy and couldn't touch the rim with his mouth. He is the best SF ever as of now.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that I'm comparing but Bird is being overlooked because he wasn't flashy and couldn't touch the rim with his mouth. He is the best SF ever as of now.

Ok my bad.

Bird was money when the game was on the line. I guess LeBron has started showing some of that but Bird was always it.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok my bad.

Bird was money when the game was on the line. I guess LeBron has started showing some of that but Bird was always it.

Nothing like Bird. I was scared of him touching the ball as a Laker fan. When the game was on the line I knew they better keep the ball out of Larry's hands.

Andrew28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've posted this before but in my opinion the 5 best NBA players in the last 30 years (1983-present) are as follows:

1. Jordan
2. Kobe
3. Magic
4. Bird
5. Shaq

You could make strong arguments for Duncan, Malone, Olojuwan and a few others...

Right now at 28 Lebron is still not in the top 10, although I believe he could easily be in the top 3 when his career is over.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've posted this before but in my opinion the 5 best NBA players in the last 30 years (1983-present) are as follows:

1. Jordan
2. Kobe
3. Magic
4. Bird
5. Shaq

You could make strong arguments for Duncan, Malone, Olojuwan and a few others...

Right now at 28 Lebron is still not in the top 10, although I believe he could easily be in the top 3 when his career is over.

That's my top 5 as well. No other combination could beat that squad.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my top 5 as well. No other combination could beat that squad.

Great list indeed; that said, being as Lebron is being compared to those guys probably indicates he's pretty good. I agree that Lebron will end up one of the all time greats and where he fits on that list is a subject that will be discussed for many years to come. I happen to think he does everything exceptionally well; especially driving the lane, rebounding and finding the open man.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Jordan
2. Kobe
3. Magic
4. Bird
5. Shaq

The only one who doesn't belong is Kobe. :2cents: I'd take a handful of players over Kobe. And I would most certainly take Bird over Lebron. Bird was 10 times the basketball player Lebron is.

Ilovemesomeme

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good question..............