• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bengals Steelers SNF thread

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't speaking to last night's game. The topic arose of Green's play in big games.

Last night he played poorly, much of which was his own fault. However, speaking towards his effort in big games, there is nothing ridiculous about excusing his "poor" performance given the player his performance is directly linked to absolutely stinks in those big games.

I don't disagree with you, but at some point AJ needs to live up to his "superstar" status. I feel like he constantly gets a pass for fucking up in big games because Dalton and Marvin are much easier targets. Dalton is a shitty QB, and Marvin is an average coach who has long overstayed his welcome. But we should expect more from AJ Green than we have been getting lately (the first Steeler game aside).

He's a top 3 reciever no question. Thus, he will wanna be paid like a top 3 receiver. I'd hesitate to pay him at this point. I don't think he is a big game player. You see guys like Dez Bryant, Megatron, and Antonio Brown constantly shine when their teams are on the big stage. There is a nice little track record of Green disappearing when the lights come on. Just like Chad Johnson. Most of the time Dalton is so bad it doesn't matter.

But Green doesn't strike me as a playmaker who elevates his game when it matters most. I believe he is coddled by this coaching staff. Our own fans are so enamoured with his talent that he always gets a pass or is exempt from criticism. At some point he needs to toughen up and take this team on his back. Make that tough catch, finish off his routes, help out his QB. He strikes me as a guy who shuts down when things don't go his way. He's a talented kid. But he's way overrated.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering all the interceptions that occur when Dalton throws to Green, has Green ever made a tackle on any of them?

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't speaking to last night's game. The topic arose of Green's play in big games.

Last night he played poorly, much of which was his own fault. However, speaking towards his effort in big games, there is nothing ridiculous about excusing his "poor" performance given the player his performance is directly linked to absolutely stinks in those big games.

I can't criticize his stats in big games... Those are obviously dependent upon Dalton getting him the ball. I also can't know if he's open or not in big games as I don't have the necessary resources or training to know. So yes, criticizing his performance in big games in general is probably unfair..... But last night he stunk and should be called out for it.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in spite of Dalton's inability to make any kind of pass but a check-down Green still lead the team in receptions.

put the blame where it lies.

jgreene95

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just a side note.....

Steeler fans can go fuck themselves.:whistle:

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can't criticize his stats in big games... Those are obviously dependent upon Dalton getting him the ball. I also can't know if he's open or not in big games as I don't have the necessary resources or training to know. So yes, criticizing his performance in big games in general is probably unfair..... But last night he stunk and should be called out for it.

This.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with you, but at some point AJ needs to live up to his "superstar" status. I feel like he constantly gets a pass for fucking up in big games because Dalton and Marvin are much easier targets. Dalton is a shitty QB, and Marvin is an average coach who has long overstayed his welcome. But we should expect more from AJ Green than we have been getting lately (the first Steeler game aside).

He's a top 3 reciever no question. Thus, he will wanna be paid like a top 3 receiver. I'd hesitate to pay him at this point. I don't think he is a big game player. You see guys like Dez Bryant, Megatron, and Antonio Brown constantly shine when their teams are on the big stage. There is a nice little track record of Green disappearing when the lights come on. Just like Chad Johnson. Most of the time Dalton is so bad it doesn't matter.

But Green doesn't strike me as a playmaker who elevates his game when it matters most. I believe he is coddled by this coaching staff. Our own fans are so enamoured with his talent that he always gets a pass or is exempt from criticism. At some point he needs to toughen up and take this team on his back. Make that tough catch, finish off his routes, help out his QB. He strikes me as a guy who shuts down when things don't go his way. He's a talented kid. But he's way overrated.

That's a good point. Being a top WR isn't just about stats, it's can you handle the pressure. Can you rise above it.

You can say that about the greats, regardless of the sport. Michael Jordon, how many times did he put the team on his back and carry them? I remember him scoring 38 in the NBA finals with the stomach flu.

Last night, with Bell out of the game, Brown rose above it. So did Big Ben. Coach Tomlin made a bonehead call on a fake punt that everyone saw coming and he's lucky it didn't cost us the game.

"Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing" - "Mean" Joe Greene.

Chad Johnson had sick talent but was more about flash and celebrations than being a leader. I have the '05 playoff game on DVD and he makes a really tough catch on the sideline with only his toes in bounds. Wasted potential.

Chris Henry too.

Both of them could have been HoFer's.

AJ Green is talented but he does buckle with the season on the line. Maybe that will change as he matures.

People say the same thing about Payton Manning.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

None of those receivers have QB's that are so CONSISTENTLY epically bad in big games. Their QB's generally put up big numbers in big games with the exception of a few games here and there. In fact, I'm not sure there has been a worse big game QB than Dalton in the history of the NFL.

It may very well be that one day Green has a good QB, and Green comes up short time and time again. But he hasn't had the opportunity for that yet.

I still remember that game against Houston in the WC with a minute or so left down 6 with Green streaking down the sideline wide open into the endzone, and Dalton misses him by 5 yards on a 30 yard pass. In that one instance with the game on the line, Green came through and got wide open. Dalton never gave him a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton sucks. We all know that. But you can't have your star receiver carry the ball irresponsibly out in front of him after catching a perfect throw that's going to set up a first down already in game tying field goal position and heading toward a possible game winning touchdown. Put the fucking ball away for chrissakes.

He choked. He's been bengalized. I'm so tired of watching the Steelers stars step up in these situations while ours spit the bit, over and over.

We are once again, or still, the Steelers' bitch.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of those receivers have QB's that are so CONSISTENTLY epically bad in big games. Their QB's generally put up big numbers in big games with the exception of a few games here and there. In fact, I'm not sure there has been a worse big game QB than Dalton in the history of the NFL.

It may very well be that one day Green has a good QB, and Green comes up short time and time again. But he hasn't had the opportunity for that yet.

I still remember that game against Houston in the WC with a minute or so left down 6 with Green streaking down the sideline wide open into the endzone, and Dalton misses him by 5 yards on a 30 yard pass. In that one instance with the game on the line, Green came through and got wide open. Dalton never gave him a chance.

Have you seen Stafford's record against teams that are over .500? He doesn't exactly rise to the occasion either.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This was probably the most frustrating play of their careers. And just imagine how different our thoughts are if that pass connected.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a second.... Tony Romo puts up big numbers in big games?

Without having the stats in front of me, isn't this the biggest criticism of the guy? I'll admit that I don't watch him a ton, but ESPN and other news outlets make it sound like he's horrendous in big spots.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

This was probably the most frustrating play of their careers. And just imagine how different our thoughts are if that pass connected.

dalton was probably throwing the ball away so he didn't take a sack, lol.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wait a second.... Tony Romo puts up big numbers in big games?

Without having the stats in front of me, isn't this the biggest criticism of the guy? I'll admit that I don't watch him a ton, but ESPN and other news outlets make it sound like he's horrendous in big spots.

He puts up big numbers, but always throws that game ending interception. Or fumbles the extra point snap. That's been his biggest criticism. He chokes with the game on the line.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dalton sucks. We all know that. But you can't have your star receiver carry the ball irresponsibly out in front of him after catching a perfect throw that's going to set up a first down already in game tying field goal position and heading toward a possible game winning touchdown. Put the fucking ball away for chrissakes.

He choked. He's been bengalized. I'm so tired of watching the Steelers stars step up in these situations while ours spit the bit, over and over.

We are once again, or still, the Steelers' bitch.

I absolutely agree with this. He doesn't seem to have the same fire that he had in his first season or two. I'd be willing to bet he too is tired of Dalton.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanna put on a DVD copy of the 2005 Playoff game and touch each other? :omg:

I have that and watch it about once a year.

Start of the game a Bengals fan in the stands has a sign, "Steelers, it's OUR turn".

Um..we don't take turns - you have to earn it.

Carson goes down on the second play of the game. Chris Henry goes down 2 plays later.

Little did we know that neither would never be that good again. Henry would be suspended for most of his remaining time in the NFL and would eventually die from jumping out of the back of a moving truck.

Jon Kitna didn't have a headset in his helmet - I have no idea why. Him and Carson had different sized head so Carson's helmet wouldn't fit him. They were trying to pull the wiring out of Carson's and put it in Jon's and it wasn't working. I think Jon did about as good a job as he could have in the first half.

17-14 at the half.

Bettis plowed into the endzone on our first drive after halftime. A bomb from Big Ben got us on the goal line. DPI in the endzone put it at the one.

The Bengal defense bit HARD on the gadget play on our next drive, sending 9 guys after ARE. :pound:

Jon Kitna fumbles twice on the same play when there's no one around him. :L

Start of the 4th quarter it was a blow out and Bengals fans started leaving.

Hines Ward yells into the stands, "Who Dey goin' home"!

Not on the tape: Bill Cowher leads the Steelers in a 'Who-Dey, We Dey" chant in the locker room.

He did it again on the victory parade.

Next time don't shine your shoes with a Terrible Towel.