• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bengals Steelers SNF thread

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that once someone reaches a certain 'status' with the team, the coaches simply stop pushing them and start (and maybe in some cases, continue) baby them. There's no bar set higher, no higher expectations in practice, and certainly no accountability for when errors are made.

The dude who ripped out the fumble last night even said after the game "Coach said that 18 doesn't put the ball away. Holds it out front when he runs, and we can rip it out".

Go back and watch some tape, and he's 100% accurate. AJ rarely puts the ball away after any catch. he holds it with both hands, and often times out in front of his body. After nearly 4 years of playing NFL ball, this should not happen. Not only is that on AJ, but who the hell is coaching him? You mean to tell me that every single coach that watches film hasn't been able to get AJ to correct this problem after 4 years?

Just like the offensive play calling issues. For how long have we watched an early burned time out, or even a timout coming off a dead-ball/commercial because someone can't get the play called in correctly, or fast enough, or guys can't get back to the line, or just have a general lack of urgency? It's been QB after QB, OC after OC, and year after year...no accountability. That has to come from the top, and that has to come from Marvin.

His low key attitude can be great for when times are rocky, but the problem lies that he never gets 'up' for big games, and never gets into a guys face when they make consistent errors. That trickles down to the players, and can (at least in part, maybe) explain why this team fails to get 'up' for big games, and why guys don't fear not improving, and why they rarely ever seem to find that 'next gear' that other teams seem to routinely get to. You can't find that next level if you aren't consistently pushed to be great, and they just don't believe that anything will happen when they continue to do things the way they want to do them. Again, that is on Marvin.

He doesn't need to turn into Rex Ryan, but it would be great to see some actual emotion and fire out of him, and for that to trickle down, at least somewhat, to the players and get them fired up as well. It's no wonder they look like they're all asleep on the field because it looks like Marvin is asleep on the sidelines after every INT/Fumble just clapping his hands.

maybe he can sew on some really big pockets and just shove the ball in the pockets.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ Green is going to continue to be plagued with injuries until finally he is carted off for good.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There is no way to prove it..... But there has been a lot of chatter about his contributions after each of our high profile losses. Whether it's fair or not is another question.

Tonight it is certainly fair to say that he blew it. He made a horrible play on the first pick, could have prevented the second pick and fumbled the game away in the 4th quarter.

When the QB absolutely blows chunks in big games, you can't then criticize the wide receiver for not coming up "big" in those games.

It's one thing if the QB was accurate and the receivers weren't making plays on the ball. But it's an entirely different thing when your QB (Dalton) is consistently overthrowing passes not giving the receivers a chance at the ball.

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When the QB absolutely blows chunks in big games, you can't then criticize the wide receiver for not coming up "big" in those games.

It's one thing if the QB was accurate and the receivers weren't making plays on the ball. But it's an entirely different thing when your QB (Dalton) is consistently overthrowing passes not giving the receivers a chance at the ball.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton threw a lot of passes to Bernard if I remember correctly, he makes a lot of short passes that make his stats look good. like throwing to a short option on third and long. that's really useful for boosting his stats so that he looks good on paper.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10402931_10205585811154740_8682894222692271503_n.jpg

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Devil's advocate, that's all. Does Dalton need to be better in the big moment? Absolutely. I just think it is rather lazy to lean on that narrative all the time.

He was masterful on the 15 play, 89 yard drive that brought them to within three (17-20) with 11:14 left in the game:

7/8 for 72 yards and the TD to Gresham (who nearly fumbled it going in for the score).

Chasin' Utleys

Uber Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That has nothing to do with Andy's plays in big games or the playoffs.

It is also a well known fact anyhow that Dalton has statistically regressed this season.

So has Cutler at TWICE the price..................straight up trade? I live near Chicago and everyone was talking about Cutler like the second coming, I'll take Dalton at his price over Cutler at his ANY day of the week. Cinci's o-line made Pittsburgh's d-line look like the Steel Curtain last night - and they're NO WHERE NEAR Steel Curtain status.......

Last edited by a moderator:

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton's deficiencies have been discussed. Nobody disputes that he is the reason why we lose to better teams.

But to excuse AJ's poor performance because his quarterback stinks is ridiculous. Plenty of great players have shined even when surrounded by poor play. AJ was lousy last night.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton's deficiencies have been discussed. Nobody disputes that he is the reason why we lose to better teams.

But to excuse AJ's poor performance because his quarterback stinks is ridiculous. Plenty of great players have shined even when surrounded by poor play. AJ was lousy last night.

Agreed. The first INT, he clearly ran the wrong route (Marvin said as much after the game) and then made little effort to at least defend the ball as best as he could. Instead, he watched it for a few seconds before deciding to do something.

The fumble is an issue because he's lost balls before due to the same reason: Holding the ball out in front of him instead of tucking it away. It's an issue that shouldn't have to be address in year 4 for an All-Pro WR.

Dalton stunk in that first half, but the second half he did enough to lead the offense down the field twice in the 2nd half, and potentially for a lead late in the game. He deserves blame, no doubt, but at the end of the game, he was stepping up in the pocket and making throws, and AJ quite literally, fumbled the game away (potentially).

It's no surprise though, with the Bengals if it's not one thing, it's another, to go wrong.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was glad to see the refs starting to call penalties.

The Bengals got away with more than a few.

The DPI, and tackling a guy by his helmet to name a couple.

When Chris Collinsworth, an ex-Bengal, speaks up that they're getting away with murder...they probably are.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was glad to see the refs starting to call penalties.

The Bengals got away with more than a few.

The DPI, and tackling a guy by his helmet to name a couple.

When Chris Collinsworth, an ex-Bengal, speaks up that they're getting away with murder...they probably are.

No offense, but this is laughable considering all the holding that the Pitt line gets away with week in and week out. Please.

Also, as long as you don't grab the facemask, I believe you can still tackle by grabbing onto the helmet. (Correct me if I'm wrong). It make look bad, but not a flag.

As for DPI...try some OPI as well...Brown is much like AJ in the area...both love to extend their arms to create separation.

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meow Bengal Nation. Meow.

The Steelers are once again AFC North Champions. Guess we need to hold on to those black and white TV sets a little while longer eh?

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meow Bengal Nation. Meow.

The Steelers are once again AFC North Champions. Guess we need to hold on to those black and white TV sets a little while longer eh?

For the love of god..... An idiot receiver makes one comment in 2005 and you remain this butthurt 9 seasons later? Stop being so sensitive.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There really should be some sort of illegal contact penalty for receivers for using their hands a little too much, especially for how ticky-tacky they call it on the defense when its not even involved with the play.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I wasn't speaking to last night's game. The topic arose of Green's play in big games.

Last night he played poorly, much of which was his own fault. However, speaking towards his effort in big games, there is nothing ridiculous about excusing his "poor" performance given the player his performance is directly linked to absolutely stinks in those big games.

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the love of god..... An idiot receiver makes one comment in 2005 and you remain this butthurt 9 seasons later? Stop being so sensitive.

LULZ. You have a short memory. I always thought cats had good memories. For what they are anyway.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but this is laughable considering all the holding that the Pitt line gets away with week in and week out. Please.

Also, as long as you don't grab the facemask, I believe you can still tackle by grabbing onto the helmet. (Correct me if I'm wrong). It make look bad, but not a flag.

As for DPI...try some OPI as well...Brown is much like AJ in the area...both love to extend their arms to create separation.

No, you can't. You're no allowed to reach your hand inside the guys helmet like that.

I agree on PI - they call OPI far less than DPI.

I felt there was some good non-calls last night as well.

The hit on Bell may have looked bad, but it was legal.

The last TD by Brown - both guys were hand fighting all the way down the field, and the CB just slipped.

There is no such thing as horsecollaring in the pocket so it's allowed there. The danger is that the runner is moving full speed and you can really injure someone like that. It should have been flag last night for that. That and the DPI in the endzone.