• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bengals Offseason talk (general)

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So...here we are. What's done is done.

Where do we go from here? First things first...looking at whom you want back and who needs to hit the fucking road. Also, can this get stickied to the top as a general offseason/reference thread?

Below is the list of the Bengals Unrestricted Free Agents to be and my gone/bring back in parenthesis:

- Cedric Benson (gone)
- Andre Caldwell (gone)
- Anthony Collins (bring back)
- Jonathan Fanene (bring back)
- Kelly Jennings (gone)
- Adam Jones (bring back)
- Manny Lawson (bring back)
- Nate Livings (gone)
- Mike McGlynn (gone)
- Reggie Nelson (bring back)
- Mike Nugent (bring back)
- Dennis Roland (gone)
- Frostee Rucker (bring back)
- Bo Scaife (gone)
- Jerome Simpson (gone)
- Pat Sims (bring back)
- Bobbie Williams (retire, if not bring back on a one-year deal)
- Gibril Wilson (bring back)

The emphasis is on the Unrestricted Free Agents. Those that have that status are the only ones with true mobility as the team can tender the RFA with little to no concern of another team signing them to an offer sheet. But just so ya know...

RFA

- Clark Harris
- Chris Pressley

Exclusive Rights Free Agents

- Jeromy Miles
- Vincent Rey

Contract status unknown

- Armon Binns
- Colin Cochart
- Brandon Johnson
- Nick Hayden
- Otis Hudson
- Donald Lee
- Dan Skuta
- Cedric Peerman

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This also may play into your thinking a little...remember who we have coming back off of IR:

- Leon Hall
- Roddrick Muckelroy
- Keith Rivers

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade one of our 1st rounders for CJ Spiller if we're unwilling to sign Lynch.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Simpson stays. They used a roster spot on his development for a few seasons, so I they'll keep since he seems ready to contribute long-term.

Generally agree with the rest of your list, but some of it depends on what the Bengals do in the draft, what these players command salary-wise on the open market, etc

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd bring back Simpson, Jennings and Livings (yeah he sucks but he could provide depth)

Biggest issue is what they'll do with the draft as we know they're not signing any noteworthy FA's. As I see it OG and SS are the biggest defeciencies on the roster. They need to be addressed in the first 2 rounds. If the line is talented enough any half way decent back will be able to produce behind it.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Trade one of our 1st rounders for CJ Spiller if we're unwilling to sign Lynch.

there aren't many RBs i would give up a 1st rounder for in a trade. Spiller's one of them though. I doubt the Bills give up on him this early. Jackson's good, but you can rotate both of them in the lineup. plus RBs always get injured so it's a good position to have depth

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there aren't many RBs i would give up a 1st rounder for in a trade. Spiller's one of them though. I doubt the Bills give up on him this early. Jackson's good, but you can rotate both of them in the lineup. plus RBs always get injured so it's a good position to have depth

It's a long shot for sure, but gm's get enamored with 1st round picks for some reason.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What exactly has Spiller done? Not a fan of 1st round RB's and not a fan of undersized RB's in the AFCN. I'd rather have a 1st round OG (or two) and a 1st round DB..if they did trade for Spiller I guess I could get with it. The dude is dynamic and it would show that they're at least thinking outside the box.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly has Spiller done? Not a fan of 1st round RB's and not a fan of undersized RB's in the AFCN. I'd rather have a 1st round OG (or two) and a 1st round DB..if they did trade for Spiller I guess I could get with it. The dude is dynamic and it would show that they're at least thinking outside the box.

Spiller was great when he was the main man after Jackson went down. The west coast offense needs a receiving RB. We currently have none. Spiller would thrive in this offense (if Gruden gets his head out his ass).

This is a passing league. If we refuse to accept that we stand no chance.

CB is also a need. Hall wasn't very good when healthy...he'll be a step slower now. He aint gettin any younger. Jones is a good nickel/dime guy. Jennings blows.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I loved Spiller coming out of Clemson...Yeah, fuck it I'd give up a first for him. The guy is a special talent that really hasnt found his place yet (or a team that can exploit those talents). Trade wont happen though, but if it did I'd be excited.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spiller had 107 attempts for 561 yards (5.2 ypc). He also had 39 receptions.

These numbers adjusted into a full time role would be pretty amazing.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Spiller hasn't done much in the NFL, but that's actually a positive for him. There's no tread on him yet.

I'm actually a bit of a Spiller fanboy. I remember watching him in the preseason as a rookie and thinking he was the second coming of Barry Sanders. He's obviously not that good, but I do think he's one of the most talented RBs in the leauge. He played really well as a full time RB down the stretch in Buffalo. He's great in the passing game and the return game too. Pair him up with a decent between the tackles runner and I think this offense is good to go

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I would do this off season.

- Cedric Benson (gone)
- Andre Caldwell (gone)
- Kelly Jennings (gone)
- Nate Livings (gone)
- Mike McGlynn (bring back)
- Dennis Roland (gone)
- Bo Scaife (gone)
- Jerome Simpson (Bring back)
- Pat Sims (bring back)
- Gibril Wilson (gone)

RFA

- Clark Harris (bring back)
- Chris Pressley (bring back)

- Jeromy Miles (bring back)
- Vincent Rey (gone)

Contract status unknown

- Armon Binns (bring back)
- Colin Cochart (bring back)
- Brandon Johnson (bring back)
- Nick Hayden (gone)
- Otis Hudson (gone)
- Donald Lee (bring back)
- Dan Skuta (gone)
- Cedric Peerman (gone)

Cut:

- Bernard Scott
- Brandon Tate
- Chris Crocker
- Robert Geathers

Sign:
- Mike Tolbert - A really good RB who has good hands out of the backfield. Would fit in this offense nicely.
- Carl Nicks - One of the premier OG in the league. After signing Evans to a big deal I'm not sure NO can afford to do that to both of them. Huge upgrade up front for us.
- Tyvone Branch - An up and coming SS IMO. Plays the run well and is a good zone SS.
- Still need another backup OT, so pick up someone who can backup OT and OG.

Draft:
1a. Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska - We need a #2 CB and someone who can cover the speed WR's that Hall can't. Denard can. He may be gone, and if he is we move on to the next best CB, probably Jenkins.
1b. Cordy Glenn OG Georgia - We need an upgrade at both OG positions. Glenn is the best OG left since DeCastro will probably be long gone when we pick at 17.
2. Markell Martin FS OK St. - Nelson plays average at times, but both of our S's need an upgrade. Martin is a ball hawk deep and that is just what we need.
3. Isaiah Pead RB Cincy - He gives us the speed and big play ability out of our backfield that we just don't have. Can take one to the house at any time and can also catch really well which would be a huge asset in this offense.
4. Casey Hayward CB Vanderbilt - We could still use another young CB since we won't know how Hall will come back. Hayward always seems to be around the ball and can make plays on it.
5. Danny Trevathan OLB UK - Had a great season and is always flying to the ball. Just seems to make tackle after tackle. Howard and Lawson were good this year but there is always room for a guy who just makes plays.
6. Donte Paige-Moss DE UNC - As talented as and DE out there, he didn't have the season many thought he would. He then tore his ACL in his bowl game. However if he goes back to his 2010 form this would be the steal of the draft.
7. Jeff Demps RB/KR Florida - We need a better KR/PR and I think Demps would be that guy. He is extremely fast and has big play wrote all over him.

If DeCastro is still there at 17, which I don't expect him to be I would consider taking him and then taking him at 17 and either Jenkins or Minnifield with our next pick.

This would make our roster lineup look like this:

QB: Dalton, Grad
RB: Tolbert, Pead, Leonard, Demps
FB: Pressley
WR: Green, Simpson, Shipley, Hawkins, Whalen, Binns
TE: Gresham, Lee, Chochart
OT: Whitworth, Smith, Collins,
OG: Nicks, Glenn/DeCastro, McGlynn
C: Cook, McGlynn

DE: Dunlap, Rucker, Johnson, Paige-Moss, Fanene
DT: Atkins, Peko, Sims, Fanene
OLB: Lawson, Howard, Moch, Johnson, Trevathan
MLB: Maualuga, Muckelroy
CB: Hall, Clements, Jones, Dennard, Hayward
FS: Nelson, Martin, Sands
SS: Branch, Mays, Miles

LS: Harris
K: Nugent
P: Huber

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is what I would do this off season.

- Cedric Benson (gone)
- Andre Caldwell (gone)
- Kelly Jennings (gone)
- Nate Livings (gone)
- Mike McGlynn (bring back)
- Dennis Roland (gone)
- Bo Scaife (gone)
- Jerome Simpson (Bring back)
- Pat Sims (bring back)
- Gibril Wilson (gone)

RFA

- Clark Harris (bring back)
- Chris Pressley (bring back)

- Jeromy Miles (bring back)
- Vincent Rey (gone)

Contract status unknown

- Armon Binns (bring back)
- Colin Cochart (bring back)
- Brandon Johnson (bring back)
- Nick Hayden (gone)
- Otis Hudson (gone)
- Donald Lee (bring back)
- Dan Skuta (gone)
- Cedric Peerman (gone)

Cut:

- Bernard Scott
- Brandon Tate
- Chris Crocker
- Robert Geathers

Sign:
- Mike Tolbert - A really good RB who has good hands out of the backfield. Would fit in this offense nicely.
- Carl Nicks - One of the premier OG in the league. After signing Evans to a big deal I'm not sure NO can afford to do that to both of them. Huge upgrade up front for us.
- Tyvone Branch - An up and coming SS IMO. Plays the run well and is a good zone SS.
- Still need another backup OT, so pick up someone who can backup OT and OG.

Draft:
1a. Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska - We need a #2 CB and someone who can cover the speed WR's that Hall can't. Denard can. He may be gone, and if he is we move on to the next best CB, probably Jenkins.
1b. Cordy Glenn OG Georgia - We need an upgrade at both OG positions. Glenn is the best OG left since DeCastro will probably be long gone when we pick at 17.
2. Markell Martin FS OK St. - Nelson plays average at times, but both of our S's need an upgrade. Martin is a ball hawk deep and that is just what we need.
3. Isaiah Pead RB Cincy - He gives us the speed and big play ability out of our backfield that we just don't have. Can take one to the house at any time and can also catch really well which would be a huge asset in this offense.
4. Casey Hayward CB Vanderbilt - We could still use another young CB since we won't know how Hall will come back. Hayward always seems to be around the ball and can make plays on it.
5. Danny Trevathan OLB UK - Had a great season and is always flying to the ball. Just seems to make tackle after tackle. Howard and Lawson were good this year but there is always room for a guy who just makes plays.
6. Donte Paige-Moss DE UNC - As talented as and DE out there, he didn't have the season many thought he would. He then tore his ACL in his bowl game. However if he goes back to his 2010 form this would be the steal of the draft.
7. Jeff Demps RB/KR Florida - We need a better KR/PR and I think Demps would be that guy. He is extremely fast and has big play wrote all over him.

If DeCastro is still there at 17, which I don't expect him to be I would consider taking him and then taking him at 17 and either Jenkins or Minnifield with our next pick.

This would make our roster lineup look like this:

QB: Dalton, Grad
RB: Tolbert, Pead, Leonard, Demps
FB: Pressley
WR: Green, Simpson, Shipley, Hawkins, Whalen, Binns
TE: Gresham, Lee, Chochart
OT: Whitworth, Smith, Collins,
OG: Nicks, Glenn/DeCastro, McGlynn
C: Cook, McGlynn

DE: Dunlap, Rucker, Johnson, Paige-Moss, Fanene
DT: Atkins, Peko, Sims, Fanene
OLB: Lawson, Howard, Moch, Johnson, Trevathan
MLB: Maualuga, Muckelroy
CB: Hall, Clements, Jones, Dennard, Hayward
FS: Nelson, Martin, Sands
SS: Branch, Mays, Miles

LS: Harris
K: Nugent
P: Huber

Pretty much a flawless offseason...too bad we wont get close to signing Nicks. Only criticism is that I think that the DT's need some attention. We need a run stopping guy there to play with Atkins. The DE's are fine, but we need a guy that can be disruptive in the middle of that line.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sims provides that when he comes back. He will be a run stuffer. There weren't really any DT's anywhere that jumped out at me, but if we can sign one I'd be fine with that.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Grubbs if we can't get Nicks too.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to have a legit RB and a legit #2 WR. Got to. Can't win without offense.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another radical idea...

Trade our 2 1st's to move up and draft Blackmon.

Get your offensive lineman and DB's thru FA in rounds 2-4.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Blackmon is great but he's not close to what Green was coming out. Plus, I dont know if he's got an ego or what. We need a guy that can be a solid #2 and compliment Green (who is a clear #1). Plus, no matter how much talent we have at the skill positions it wont matter if the interior of the line gets blown up every play (like it did yesterday).

My radical idea. Draft the best 2 OG's in the first (DeCastro and Glenn). Do it like the Broncos used to. Establish a dominant O-line and any NFL caliber RB will be able to produce. Plus, Dalton would actually have time to go through some progressions.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blackmon is the #2 or 3 pick depending on whether RG3 declares. He's actually more highly regarded than Green.