• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Bengals won’t be sellers at deadline

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Bengals could get a first-round pick for injured receiver A.J. Green -- an unrestricted free agent at season's end who won't be back there -- but owner Mike Brown refuses to entertain the idea, sources said. The Bengals were also getting repeated calls about Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Tyler Eifert and Drew Kirkpatrick, sources said, but at this point some general managers aren't even sure if they're going to check back in next week given the way the Bengals have responded to this point.

"They are basically philosophically opposed to the idea of making trades," said one NFC GM. "It's a waste of time to call them. But we did. And it is what it is. You may as well be speaking a different language."

[URL="https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-trade-deadline-bengals-redskins-frustrating-other-teams-with-stubborn-no-sell-stance/"]NFL Trade Deadline: Bengals, Redskins frustrating other teams with stubborn no-sell stance[/URL]

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
All that said, they did showcase Eifert (6 catches for 74 yards) quite a bit today. I would imagine they would have to be open to trading him at least.

Then again, it’s Mike Brown...

No telling what kind of haul we could get for Drew Kirkpatrick.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Complete trash of an article. Wtf is Drew Kirkpatrick?

But I wouldn’t doubt the claim that the Brown family is philosophically opposed to trades.

They’re full of philosophies such as not paying offensive lineman, not signing free agents, not moving up in the draft. They truly think the system that has produced zero playoff wins since Reagan told Gorbachev to tear down his wall, is a success.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have two somewhat conflicting thoughts here.

First, I don't believe any source knows anything about the Bengals.... I think there are three or four people that have insight into the team's plans/mindset and none of those people have any reason/desire to leak. Rumors about the Bengals franchise have almost always been wrong. Take last year's coaching search as an example. At the end of the year we heard repeatedly that Mike Brown was really only interested in internal candidates or guys that have already been here (Hue, Darrin Simmons, Lazor, Jay Gruden, Guenther, etc.). That wasn't even close to accurate as it played out.

Second, I totally believe the Bengals won't sell... Trades in football seems too new for Mikey to be interested. Then again, we did have the framework of a trade to rob the Browns of draft picks for AJ McCarron!

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all the bengals need to do is put together a roster good enough to build up preseason hopes and sell some tickets.

a total rebuild won't draw enough interest.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
During the Mike Brown era the Bengals traded away Boomer, Dillon, Chad, Palmer. Arguably 4 of the 5 highest profile skill position players they had on the roster during that time period. AJ Green would make it 5 of 5.

These "insider" guys are always doing someone's bidding and this is the second LaCanfora article published the past few weeks about how the Bengals won't trade Green. I think it's a poker hand and they want a blow away trade offer

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some of those players were rather in an uncertain state. Dillon had gotten toxic, Boomer had his ups and downs. Chad had lost a step, and Palmer no longer wanted to be here. it took a long time for Brown to let go of Palmer, he was going to force him to sit out for the length of his contract.

our trades will make more sense in a few decades.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
some of those players were rather in an uncertain state. Dillon had gotten toxic, Boomer had his ups and downs. Chad had lost a step, and Palmer no longer wanted to be here. it took a long time for Brown to let go of Palmer, he was going to force him to sit out for the length of his contract.

our trades will make more sense in a few decades.

AJ is a 31 year old WR in a contract year on a 0 win team coming off injury. They also just gave a big contract to a younger player at his position. This was an obvious trade situation. Id have to see a specific trade offer from another team to think otherwise. I think they wanted a big offer and one never materialized

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Issues I have with the article..

What's a realistic landing spot for Dalton? He's a highly paid veteran QB who hasn't played particularly well the past few seasons. I could see a few teams being interested in the offseason but what contender is willing to give up a mid rd pick for him right now to learn their offense and bench their starter? The only team that might consider it is the Bears. They'd have to throw in the towel on a top 5 pick on a cheap rookie deal for Dalton? He'd make more sense in a Tannehill role there in the offseason.

"It was negligent not to have sold him off now. I don't want to hear about a possible third-round comp pick in 2021, should he leave in free agency. That ain't helping your rookie head coach or novice QB in 2020"

Is he saying the Bengals should have taken a 2020 mid rd pick for Green as opposed to one 2021? I wouldn't have traded Green in a firesale. I'd see how he plays and keep open the option of a franchise tag.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Dalton.... I would have saved the money by trading him for a 7th. He's not starting again. He's not playing here anymore. No reason to keep him around. The 7th rounder could have been conditional and become a 5th if Dalton became the starter for some amount of time. I don't suspect he was worth anything more than that. But really, getting anything for him would have been a score given that we no longer have use for him.

With Green.... My fear is that there will be no comp pick for Green. I don't understand how the formula works, but it doesn't seem like he would be worth a 3 when he has basically a half a seasons stats over the past 2 seasons. Is it based on the amount of money they signed for or for their production or some other measure. Also, you only get comp picks if you lose more players than you sign. The Bengals do have a lot of pending FAs so this might be a moot point.