• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears are idiots if they re-sign Cutler...

TheDangerousKitchen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone still think the Bears need this bum in order to win...?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:tsk:

They are fools if they don't bring both Cutler and McCown back.

C

cubzzzfanincali

like Beardown says, the question is how much $$ really.

McCown played fine last night, but if you evaluate his actual mechanics last night, it was nothing special. His passes are not laser darts of uncanny accuracy. Many were just lobs he threw up, and between the amazingly good play of the Bear receivers and the incredible awfulness of Dallas, he "looked good". But they blew a few interceptions, and on some plays I was slackjawed at how awful their DBs were playing. That amazing catch by Jeffery in the end zone, almost any other CB in the league prevents that...all he had to do was put his arms up (they were horizontal). Still a great catch, but quite stoppable.

Cutler still has a far better arm. McCown has definitely been a pleasant, serviceable surprise, but Cutler is still a better answer going forward.

For, of course, the right money.

TheDangerousKitchen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like Beardown says, the question is how much $$ really.

McCown played fine last night, but if you evaluate his actual mechanics last night, it was nothing special. His passes are not laser darts of uncanny accuracy. Many were just lobs he threw up, and between the amazingly good play of the Bear receivers and the incredible awfulness of Dallas, he "looked good". But they blew a few interceptions, and on some plays I was slackjawed at how awful their DBs were playing. That amazing catch by Jeffery in the end zone, almost any other CB in the league prevents that...all he had to do was put his arms up (they were horizontal). Still a great catch, but quite stoppable.

Cutler still has a far better arm. McCown has definitely been a pleasant, serviceable surprise, but Cutler is still a better answer going forward.

For, of course, the right money.

13 TD's / 1 INT / 109.8 QB Rating... that doesn't happen by accident. (When are Bears fans going to stop trying to diminish what McCown has done, in an effort to justify why our "franchise QB's" production pales in comparison?)

That aside... the "for the right money" part of the Cutler equation is why the Bears are idiots if they re-sign him for anywhere near what his asking price is likely to be.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler has money. Two big contracts already. What he doesn't have is a ring. What he hasn't had is continuity around him.

I think Cutler will do what it takes to stay in Chicago.

C

cubzzzfanincali

13 TD's / 1 INT / 109.8 QB Rating... that doesn't happen by accident. (When are Bears fans going to stop trying to diminish what McCown has done, in an effort to justify why our "franchise QB's" production pales in comparison?)

That aside... the "for the right money" part of the Cutler equation is why the Bears are idiots if they re-sign him for anywhere near what his asking price is likely to be.

Aside from the fact that the production doesn't "pale" in comparison is the fact that we can see the throws and we know enough football that it isn't an apples-to-apples comparison. Here are some facts:

- Jay Cutler played against healthier secondaries and better pass rushes in the first half of the season than McCown has done.

- Very, very oddly enough, the Bears offensive line is getting better relative to the defenses as the season progresses, because it has so far managed to stay healthy (knock on wood), giving it time to gel. Seriously, can you identify a single game from the first few weeks of the season where the line gave THAT much protection and time as we saw last night? My God, I thought I was watching New England's line out there. A lot of that has to do with how banged up defenses are by this point in the season.

- Alshon Jeffery is getting better.

- the whole offense, having more time under Trestman, is becoming more familiar with the system.

- Matt Forte is healthy.

So from a comparison standpoint, again, you aren't really comparing apples to apples.

From the standpoint of who makes better throws, I really don't think it is even close. Re-watch some of the Cutler games, then watch McCown, and tell me who you think throws better.

McCown has done pretty well. Good for him, good for us. But he isn't a better quarterback.

But I think we both agree the question comes down to the money Cutler would take. What kind of contract do you want him to get? If he gets 5 years/$75 million, will you be upset?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh DK... lol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tell you one thing McCown does better then Cutler, he sees the pass rusher coming from behind him. How I don't know. But give me Jay 7 days a week. If we lose Cutler we will be years away from being a good team again. McCown is a product of being in a great system with GREAT players around him. Jay will go off as our QB over the next 5 years. Get ready for the good times my fellow Bear fans.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, I don't see us with both next year. Both are free agents and I see some poor QB team spending decent bucks to sign McCown to sub in for a year or two while they bring up a young QB. Particularly is the team feels like they're on the cusp, like Cleveland or Minny.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, I don't see us with both next year. Both are free agents and I see some poor QB team spending decent bucks to sign McCown to sub in for a year or two while they bring up a young QB. Particularly is the team feels like they're on the cusp, like Cleveland or Minny.

McCown wants to stay IMO....doesn't strike me as big money guy. They should restructure him, sign him to a 2 year deal for a little more than what he's getting now, and I think he'd stay, even if offered a little more elsewhere.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't McCown look like Drago from Rocky 3?

2090.jpg
th

But I digress... No offense to McCown, I love what he's done and really do hope the Bears find a way to hang onto him. Two things stand out to me:

1) There's a reason he's a 34 year-old NFL journeyman. He's had his shot with Arizona, Oakland and Carolina. Maybe there is a legitimate chance that he finally is surrounded with offensive weapons to succeed, compared to what he had in those other places.

2) Let's say the Bears let Cutler go, and keep McCown. In recent years, we've seen all too often that a QB in that kind of situation fails miserably in the subsequent season. Cassel, Kolb, Flynn, and you can even make a case for Kaepernick.

Maybe Cutler is a bum. Maybe. But there are 32 NFL teams and only about 3 non-bum QB's. If Cutler falls into the next grouping of QB mediocrity, at least he's a better option IMO.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cutler is a FOOL if he does not resign. That offense is set for the future. He will thrive in it. He is way better than Josh. No comparsion!

As a Lions fan I would hope he leaves, don't see it happening though.That would set the Bears back a few.

I do see money as a problem if they tag him and do a long term deal. Jennings and other FA guys will need cap room. How are you looking in cap space?

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
give Cutler no more than 12 to 13 mil per year. If he damands more, let him walk. He isnt worth 18 or 19 mil.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are an idiot.

Anyone still think the Bears need this bum in order to win...?

Screw you Richard. You would have waived Rodgers after Flynn's record performance. This is why idiots like you post on theses forums. You too fucking stupid to be taken serious .:omg:

:wtf2:

:lame:

PackMaster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler would maybe take a bit less to sign with the bears but you're crazy if you think he's going to give the bears a MAJOR discount. He went to college in Tennessee and owns a home there and they'll surely offer him at least 15 mil a year at 5yrs. If he comes back and rocks at the end of the season that could easily go up. Heck they'd probably offer him 18 a year given that they are desperate and he's a hometown favorite..

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler would maybe take a bit less to sign with the bears but you're crazy if you think he's going to give the bears a MAJOR discount. He went to college in Tennessee and owns a home there and they'll surely offer him at least 15 mil a year at 5yrs. If he comes back and rocks at the end of the season that could easily go up. Heck they'd probably offer him 18 a year given that they are desperate and he's a hometown favorite..

I get that he was really good at Vandy, but I don't know why he'd be some kind of hero in Tennessee. Vandy never even had a winning season while he was there. I'd actually have to think people care about him more so here. Even 95% of the people I've heard that like McCown right now, still stand by Jay. They just like the hot hand. (which I think is absurd, but that's a whole different story)

Cutler has said himself that he loves Chicago, and that he'd be willing to give the hometown discount (via the Jay Cutler show on ESPN Radio). Unless he falters in these last three games. He's likely coming back. If the Bears win the division. I'd say it's a near lock.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well sign him before any team even gets a chance to make a offer.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well sign him before any team even gets a chance to make a offer.

Agreed. The loyalty that the Bears coaching staff, teammates, and front office has shown Jay throughout his injury has pretty much left very little doubt in my mind.

Jay would really have to falter here in these final three games to not get brought back. He'll have to play well. If the Bears win the division, it's a lock. IMO