• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BCS last year: Memories and 2013 projections

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point isn't bowl teams as half the conference goes to one and not all are up to beating teams like ohio state and oregon. The point is how many top 25 teams are there and who has the toughest game on the schedule? Oregon @ Stanford by a landslide. PERIOD.

What makes Stanford intimidating? We (Wisconsin) return a lot more than they do and our injury-riddled team was every bit their equal in 2012. And before you say that playing Stanford on the road matters, we both know Stanford is among the least intimidating venues in college football.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's all this Texas love for being Big 12 champs?? Even MarkOU??? :gaah:

:lol:

On paper thats what it looks like. Things can change though. :suds:

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SOXOSU, UCLA is going to be very very good. I am close to putting them in a BCS game. Hundley is going to tear it up this year. Mora JR is a perfect CFB HC. His kids are buying into his philosophy hook, line, and sinker.

They are going to be very good...

UCLA is a talented team, but I'm skeptical of their ceiling. What did they really do last year that was so amazing? You talk about OSU struggling to beat Cal, but UCLA got absolutely demolished by them, but now you're saying they're going to be "very very good"? Also, who's gonna carry the ball for them? They're also losing 2 of their top 3 receivers in Franklin and Fauria. I like Hundley a lot, but I don't see the weapons to get to a BCS game.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

On paper thats what it looks like. Things can change though. :suds:

Mack Brown is still the coach, the defense still cant tackle, and David Ash can be very hot or cold.

I'm still predicting 8-4.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes Stanford intimidating? We (Wisconsin) return a lot more than they do and our injury-riddled team was every bit their equal in 2012. And before you say that playing Stanford on the road matters, we both know Stanford is among the least intimidating venues in college football.

Stanford returns the entire defense... Loses a good RB (Ball is better than Taylor IMO) Both willl easily fill the RB void. Only thing Stanford loss besides Taylor is the 2 big TEs... I dont think either Wisky or Stanford is all that great. Good for sure.

I was surprised how Wisky played decent against Stanford. But Wisky @ Oregon State was a pathetic performance by Wisky...

Dont the Beavs play Wisky in Madison this season? If so, please beat the shit out of em...:laugh3:

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack Brown is still the coach, the defense still cant tackle, and David Ash can be very hot or cold.

I'm still predicting 8-4.

But you have strength in RB and OL.

OU breaks in new QB.
Tech new coach
KSU new QB

TCU will be a threat but thats about it. Watered down BIG XII this year. Texas has a real shot.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford returns the entire defense... Loses a good RB (Ball is better than Taylor IMO) Both willl easily fill the RB void. Only thing Stanford loss besides Taylor is the 2 big TEs... I dont think either Wisky or Stanford is all that great. Good for sure.

I was surprised how Wisky played decent against Stanford. But Wisky @ Oregon State was a pathetic performance by Wisky...

Dont the Beavs play Wisky in Madison this season? If so, please beat the shit out of em...:laugh3:

Didn't Stanford have just an OK pass defense though? Did they do much to improve that?

Ball was a far better RB than Taylor, but Wisky has 2 other ones (James White and Melvin Gordon) that are beasts, so the dropoff in total production will not be much. I think losing those 2 big TEs will be tough, though, especially since Hogan isn't much of a deep thrower.

I wasn't surprised at all about Wisky. Both they and Michigan State were better than their records last year. Wisky returns almost all of their defense as well, if I recall. They don't get Oregon State though. They played that game a few years ago. Wisky goes to AZ State.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you have strength in RB and OL.

OU breaks in new QB.
Tech new coach
KSU new QB

TCU will be a threat but thats about it. Watered down BIG XII this year. Texas has a real shot.

This year it should be a 2-team race between Texas and Ok State (even without Lunt), and then everyone else. If Texas shits the bed again this year, that will be 4 straight years of shitting the bed. How much longer can Brown last?

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, we beat the shit out of them in Madison in 2011. The Oregon State game in 2012 was the worst game we played since 2008, and it still took a Pac 12 replay screwjob to cost us the game. Our game against Stanford was awful as well. This year, we play @ Arizona State, which should be awful because of the heat.

As for Stanford, they lose more than you are saying. They lose their best playmaker (Taylor), best OL (Schwartzstein), best receiver (Ertz), and best defender (Thomas).

Hell, that's 4 of their five best players (Skov being the fifth). They can return a bunch of average starters, sure, but those were their playmakers. Unlike them, we return our four of our top five playmakers (White, Gordon, Abby, and Borland). And we lose the god awful in-game coaching staff who quite literally has been the reason for 75% of our losses since 2009.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Stanford have just an OK pass defense though? Did they do much to improve that?

Yes, which is why the fact that we started our quarterback that can't throw the ball well (Phillips) over the one that could (Stave) was one of the most boneheaded decisions in coaching history. Barry literally threw the Rose Bowl for a feel good story.

They brought Stave in for one play, and it was a perfect throw that hit Abby in the hands for what should have been a 40 yard TD (he dropped it probably because he forgot how to catch a well-thrown pass while Stave was injured).

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we lose the god awful in-game coaching staff who quite literally has been the reason for 75% of our losses since 2009.

Fat Bielema was the worst big-game coach in the nation. How you guys managed to not go unbeaten and play in the NCG in 2011 is a fucking travesty. Russell Wilson was a machine that year.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, which is why the fact that we started our quarterback that can't throw the ball well (Phillips) over the one that could (Stave) was one of the most boneheaded decisions in coaching history. Barry literally threw the Rose Bowl for a feel good story.

They brought Stave in for one play, and it was a perfect throw that hit Abby in the hands for what should have been a 40 yard TD (he dropped it probably because he forgot how to catch a well-thrown pass while Stave was injured).

How about that new JUCO you have coming in? He looks solid and is evidently a hell of an athlete.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about that new JUCO you have coming in? He looks solid and is evidently a hell of an athlete.

I mean, we'll see. McEvoy had offers from a ton of big schools including Oregon. I'd prefer to start Stave. He has such a great arm and feel for the game. I think he'd be a top three QB in the B1G, but Coach Andersen and staff have traditionally preferred dual threat guys.

McEvoy might start, but i'm a believer that you shouldn't bench proven players. I've seen enough from Joel that I think he's proven.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fat Bielema was the worst big-game coach in the nation. How you guys managed to not go unbeaten and play in the NCG in 2011 is a fucking travesty. Russell Wilson was a machine that year.

I agree. They shoulda had a crack at the NATTY. It took Oregon's A game to squeak out a victory.... One hell of a game and a great Wisky team...

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is becoming the conference rah rah thread. I'm sure buck fans spend a fair amount of their time trashing on other Big schools and yet here is one up selling to defend their SoS and the same is happening from the Pac people. I for one feel dirty saying anything that is positive for Oregon. Always makes me feel like I need to shower. As for the arguments about Stanford vs Wisky, I do find it ironic a poster says we can't look at history to compare the B1G and Pac and yet looks at history to defend their stance on wisky over Stanford. Just saying.

At the end of the day we have opinions and none are going to be changed and they don't matter much so meh. Have a good one either way.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is becoming the conference rah rah thread. I'm sure buck fans spend a fair amount of their time trashing on other Big schools and yet here is one up selling to defend their SoS and the same is happening from the Pac people. I for one feel dirty saying anything that is positive for Oregon. Always makes me feel like I need to shower. As for the arguments about Stanford vs Wisky, I do find it ironic a poster says we can't look at history to compare the B1G and Pac and yet looks at history to defend their stance on wisky over Stanford. Just saying.

At the end of the day we have opinions and none are going to be changed and they don't matter much so meh. Have a good one either way.

Not a rah rah thread for the conference, just trying to point out that the teams that many fans called weak were actually extremely competitive with other teams people called elite, and in turn OSU's SOS isn't as overwhelmingly bad as everyone makes it out to be.

I also think you're really confused about what I meant on the whole history thing. You're using old wins to say a conference is better now from teams that have none of the same players or even the same coaches. Clearly those USC Rose Bowl teams were far more talented than the current one, and Kiffen is no Pete Carroll. I also never once said Wisky was better than Stanford, I was pointing out that the best team from a conference that was quoted as being "head and shoulders" better than the B1G was just barely better than the 6th rated team from the B1G.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SOXOSU, UCLA is going to be very very good. I am close to putting them in a BCS game. Hundley is going to tear it up this year. Mora JR is a perfect CFB HC. His kids are buying into his philosophy hook, line, and sinker.

They are going to be very good...

Are you calling a road win @ Nebraska then?

You also have Nebraska projected for BCS.

Just sayin'.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you calling a road win @ Nebraska then?

You also have Nebraska projected for BCS.

Just sayin'.

I said close to a BCS team. Not ready to make prediction this game. Leaning UCLA, but Nebraska should do really well in B1G play. I could see them losing to UCLA and still getting an at large...

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a rah rah thread for the conference, just trying to point out that the teams that many fans called weak were actually extremely competitive with other teams people called elite, and in turn OSU's SOS isn't as overwhelmingly bad as everyone makes it out to be.

I also think you're really confused about what I meant on the whole history thing. You're using old wins to say a conference is better now from teams that have none of the same players or even the same coaches. Clearly those USC Rose Bowl teams were far more talented than the current one, and Kiffen is no Pete Carroll. I also never once said Wisky was better than Stanford, I was pointing out that the best team from a conference that was quoted as being "head and shoulders" better than the B1G was just barely better than the 6th rated team from the B1G.

Actually it was Mamba who was talking about B1G vs Pac, not me. Both did poorly in bowl games last year. Both have programs of historical significance that have been down in recent years. Both have a couple of teams that can make noise. I don't see a lot of difference between them.

As for Stanford being better than Wisky IMO, that was all I was saying is it was my opinion and I was using that as a basis to say Oregon's overall schedule is therefor a bit more challenging than Ohio States. I did also say I don't think Oregon, Ohio State, or Alabama play schedules worthy of their perceived status. Champions should play championship football, not weak ass mid-major like cake walks. Again, just an opinion.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Stanford is returning their entire D, won't they be a serious contender not only for a PAC title but for a shot at the Natty as well?