• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BCS last year: Memories and 2013 projections

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mamba, you do realize that OSU is projected to have a better SOS than Oregon, right?

Projected? Maybe. We shall see...

Oregon plays Stanford, UCLA, OSU, and has a few more decent teams on the schedule.

Also, keep in mind the human element... 2/3 of the formula. Oregon blows their opponents out, while tOSU struggled with Iowa and Cal...

That is a big factor in voters eyes. Oregon will blow Cal out again, while OSU will be lucky to beat them at Berkeley.

Should be fun to see how it plays out...

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Projected? Maybe. We shall see...

Oregon plays Stanford, UCLA, OSU, and has a few more decent teams on the schedule.

Also, keep in mind the human element... 2/3 of the formula. Oregon blows their opponents out, while tOSU struggled with Iowa and Cal...

That is a big factor in voters eyes. Oregon will blow Cal out again, while OSU will be lucky to beat them at Berkeley.

Should be fun to see how it plays out...

Wait, wait. You're using the first year under a new head coach with a completely new coaching staff and completely different offensive scheme as some kind of barometer of how they'll be this year, even though historically that is about as far from the likely outcome as can be?

Ohio State didn't play Iowa last year, and the human element is going to pick the team with the stronger SOS who is riding a 25-game winning streak: Ohio State.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will never happen in a million years. This is 2013. The PAC 12 is head and shoulders better than the Big 10. The Big 12 is better too. There is simply no comparison.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think Oregon would get the nod over tOSU just because their computer ranking is gonna be much higher probably

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many people have dogged the BCS. I've never figured that out. For most of us who watched #1 go off and play #9 while #2 go play #4, because of bowl affiliations, and both win, and then reward #1 the championship don't seem to get it.

We would have missed out on so games of #1 vs #2. Were they all great games? No but it wasn't the SEC fault the majority of those teams forgot to show up or were just that over matched.

I'm not sure the exact number but it was something like only 7 to 9 times a #1 played #2 at the end of the year. Here are games, beginning with some form of BCS starting in 1992, that would not have happened if not for the BCS:

Season
1992: #1 Miami vs #2 Bama
1995: #1 Nebraska vs #2 Florida
1996: #1 Florida St vs #3 Florida *when Rose Bowl was not participating
Arizona St was #2 and lost to #4 Ohio St
1997: #2 Nebraska vs #3 Tennessee *Rose Bowl/ Michigan was #1

Year bowl played
1999: #1 Tennessee vs #2 Florida St. **first year of all bowls in BCS.
2003: #1 Miami vs #2 Ohio St
2004: #1 Oklahoma vs #2 LSU
2005: #1 USC vs #2 Oklahoma
2006: #1 USC vs #2 Texas
2007: #1 Ohio St vs #2 Florida
2008: #1 Ohio St vs #2 LSU
2009: #1 Oklahoma vs #2 Florida
2010: #1 Alabama vs #2 Texas
2011 #1 Auburn vs #2 Oregon
2012: #1 LSU vs #2 Alabama

Because of bowl affiliations, without the BCS, or some form of it, we would not have had any of the above match-ups. So talk about opinion to who #1 is. 1996 and 1997 would have settled more if Rose Bowl was part of BCS and those #1's vs #2's could have happened!

I never have understood why people dogged the BCS. Yes, a playoff is better but the BCS was such an improvement over so many years before it! Cheers to the BCS and a great send off year! :suds:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell me which schedule with the eyeball test looks tougher. Both arent world beater schedules. But I would think most honest CFB fans would agree Oregon's is better...

Ohio State vs

Buffalo
SD State
@ Cal
Florida A&M
Wisky
@ Northwestern
Iowa
Penn State
@ Purdue
@ Illinois
Indiana
@ Michigan

Oregon vs

Nicholls State
@ Virginia
Tennessee
Cal
@ Colorado
@ Washington
Washington State
UCLA
@ Stanford
Utah
@ Arizona
Oregon State

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think a 1 loss SEC champ would get the nod over tOSU also especially if its Alabama or aTm

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will never happen in a million years. This is 2013. The PAC 12 is head and shoulders better than the Big 10. The Big 12 is better too. There is simply no comparison.

Head and shoulders better? Seriously? Based on what?

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, wait. You're using the first year under a new head coach with a completely new coaching staff and completely different offensive scheme as some kind of barometer of how they'll be this year, even though historically that is about as far from the likely outcome as can be?

Ohio State didn't play Iowa last year, and the human element is going to pick the team with the stronger SOS who is riding a 25-game winning streak: Ohio State.

Not Iowa, meant Indiana...

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oregon isn't changing offenses. Their new HC was their OC under chip for his entire run. They are keeping everything exactly as it was which is why the zeros believe they won't skip a beat and many pundits agree with them.

I know mamba mentioned a few games that will add SoS, but I sure hope they overlook their first road challenge of the season.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon isn't changing offenses. Their new HC was their OC under chip for his entire run. They are keeping everything exactly as it was which is why the zeros believe they won't skip a beat and many pundits agree with them.

I know mamba mentioned a few games that will add SoS, but I sure hope they overlook their first road challenge of the season.

They wont. I just have grown tired of typing UW...

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Head and shoulders better? Seriously? Based on what?

Based on that we all watched the train wreck for the B1G last year. Terrible football.

I do the think conference will improve a bit... But cmon. You did see that conference play right?

Also based on the fact that the B1G has WON exactly ONE Rose Bowl since the turn of the century. Ohio State over Oregon... Ya I know...

But the PAC has dominated the B1G in this storied bowl game

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell me which schedule with the eyeball test looks tougher. Both arent world beater schedules. But I would think most honest CFB fans would agree Oregon's is better...

Ohio State vs

Buffalo
SD State
@ Cal
Florida A&M
Wisky
@ Northwestern
Iowa
Penn State
@ Purdue
@ Illinois
Indiana
@ Michigan

Oregon vs

Nicholls State
@ Virginia
Tennessee
Cal
@ Colorado
@ Washington
Washington State
UCLA
@ Stanford
Utah
@ Arizona
Oregon State

I see more bowl eligible teams on OSU's schedule from last season than I do on Oregon's. San Diego State is better than anyone on Oregon's OOC slate. Luckily we get to see if Nebraska can even the score with UCLA when their home/home comes to Lincoln, and Wisky gets a good test going to AZ State. Then of course both OSU and NW get Cal. Personally, I'd be shocked if OSU didn't beat Cal by 3+ TDs this season.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ohio State vs

Buffalo
SD State
@ Cal
Florida A&M
Wisky
@ Northwestern
Iowa
Penn State
@ Purdue
@ Illinois
Indiana
@ Michigan

Oregon vs

Nicholls State
@ Virginia
Tennessee
Cal
@ Colorado
@ Washington
Washington State
UCLA
@ Stanford
Utah
@ Arizona
Oregon State

Seriously? :scratch: Not even close! Oregon has a much tougher schedule. OSU plays a very overrated Michigan, a troubled Penn St, a new coach and coming off a 6 loss season Wisconsin. Who else do they have? Northwestern? oooooohhh

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the final year of the BCS I thought it would be fun to stroll down memory lane. Post some pics or vids, tell some stories and post your 2013-14 predictions. Remember, we all have an opinion of the upcoming season and I am sure they will vary greatly. If someone doesnt pick your team it isnt becaue they hate you or your school....

Games that stand out to me the most are Texas vs UCS. Unbelievable game with unbelievable CFB players. Two great powerhouse programs squared off and I was glued to my TV. Another was Boise vs Oklahoma. What an unreal game. The ultimate David slayed Goliath CFB story. And my e was actually favorite Duck BCS game NATTY. Over 120 years of football and Oregon had done it. They reached the pinnacle of CFB and played the SEC's Auburn squad. It was a game that both teams deserved to win. I was very fortunate to have attended the game. I an all other Duck fans walked out of U of Phoenix stadium dissapointed, but yet are heads were held high. Unreal to most honest Duck fans that Oregon had accomplished a chance to play the best on a national stage in the NATTY.

2013 BCS + Cotton Peach bowl Projections with quick synopsis.

NATTY: Oregon vs Texas A&M

Oregon
may not be one of the best two teams in the country. But they have a very legit shot at playing for a NATTY because of fairly manageable schedule. That and they return a ton on offense and the entire secondary that led CFB in INTs...

Texas A&M I think the Gigems finish the season with one loss. They will be the highest 1 loss ranked team and get the NATTY berth. Alabama at home and I see a similar result to 2012. That is enough to get them in the tie breaker over the Tide.

Sugar: Alabama vs Louisville

Alabama could be the best 1 loss team to not play for a NATTY in the BCS era. Like mentioned above I see 1 loss and unfortunately for Bama it comes at the hands of aTm landing them in the Sugar.

Louisville
Legit chance at an undefeated season. IMO, whether they are unbeaten or not they dont play in the NATTY due to a horrific SOS.

Rose: Ohio State vs Stanford

Ohio State Even if Ohio State goes unbeaten along with Oregon, most likely the Ducks would get the nod due to SOS. But my prediction is they lose a game 2 possibly but unlikely. They have to be really careful @ Cal early in the season.

Stanford
I believe Stanford will take a small step backwards this year as they were really in a lot of nail biters last season that they pulled off. Tough to live on the edge and not take a couple losses. Losing the 2 Huge TEs will be a bit of an issue for Stanford to replace immediately.

Orange: Clemson vs Nebraska

Clemson will be in the NATTY hunt this year. I think they will be in the discussion late but fall just short. Even if they lose to UGA I dont think it will kill them as it is early in the season, and they have a pretty darn good SOS... IMO...

Nebraska
I have studied the schedule in depth and with the play makers on offense and a defense that can only improve, I see a recipe for a very successful season. Add a SR QB who is a play maker to the mix and you got yourself a BCS team. TM will have to cut down on turnovers for this to come to fruition.

Fiesta: Texas vs Boise State

Texas just has to much returning to dismiss them. I believe it comes down to TCU and the hookems. Baylor will be in the mix as well. But Texas returns to the BCS.

Boise State
has a 2nd year QB returning. Coach Pete will get the team in the top 16 even with 1 loss which they most likely will have, but the BCS rule will be applied again and they get in just as N. Illinois did.

Cotton: Georgia vs TCU

Peach: LSU vs North Carolina

If we don't win the ACC I could deal with LSU in the Peach as a consolation. I am hoping Bryn Renner has a great season and the Heels finish at no worse than 10-2.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see more bowl eligible teams on OSU's schedule from last season than I do on Oregon's. San Diego State is better than anyone on Oregon's OOC slate. Luckily we get to see if Nebraska can even the score with UCLA when their home/home comes to Lincoln, and Wisky gets a good test going to AZ State. Then of course both OSU and NW get Cal. Personally, I'd be shocked if OSU didn't beat Cal by 3+ TDs this season.

Can you say homer? :lame:

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on that we all watched the train wreck for the B1G last year. Terrible football.

I do the think conference will improve a bit... But cmon. You did see that conference play right?

Also based on the fact that the B1G has WON exactly ONE Rose Bowl since the turn of the century. Ohio State over Oregon... Ya I know...

But the PAC has dominated the B1G in this storied bowl game

USC dominated the B1G in this game, and 2 of those years they were facing the 2nd best team in the conference. Games from several years ago really don't have much influence on this years games.

Also, from last season I saw that Stanford (1st in the Pac12) and Oregon State (3rd in the Pac12) were marginally better than Wisconsin (6th in the B1G), and UCLA beat Nebraska at home, and now Nebraska gets to play them at home.

Overall, the 2 conferences weren't too much different. The B1G finished with 4 ranked teams (2 receiving votes) and the Pac 12 finished with 3 ranked teams (1 receiving votes). Saying the Pac 12 is head and shoulders above the B1G is pretty stupid.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ohio State vs

Buffalo
SD State
@ Cal
Florida A&M
Wisky
@ Northwestern
Iowa
Penn State
@ Purdue
@ Illinois
Indiana
@ Michigan

Oregon vs

Nicholls State
@ Virginia
Tennessee
Cal
@ Colorado
@ Washington
Washington State
UCLA
@ Stanford
Utah
@ Arizona
Oregon State

Oregon all the way. I mean look at that 6th game looming out there like a storm cloud... :laugh3:

Seriously, Ohio State has a terrible schedule. In fact it is almost as embarrassing as Alabamas.

All these elite programs taking on BSU like schedules. Just shows how sad college football is becoming. Where are all the really good games anymore?