• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BCS last year: Memories and 2013 projections

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, the guy that has SEC #2 can be discounted... Sheesh. Think he did a math matrix....

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, The final coaches poll has 2 B1G teams... # 23 Nebraska and # 16 Northwestern. This is the poll used to determine 1/3 of BCS... The AP has 4 B1G... #3 OSU, # 17 NW, aand 24 n 25 UM and Nebraska.... Not that great

But again, polls don't reflect talent and skill as much as final scores. The only difference between us (unranked) and Stanford (#6) is that we had injuries which caused us to lose close games. All the signs suggest that we were about as good as if each other (similar margins of victories, similar numbers of close games, completely even head to head, etc.).

I have no idea why people think Stanford is that much better than any B1G teams, but the evidence doesn't suggest they are. Comparing B1G v. PAC teams, IMO:

Oregon > Ohio State
Stanford > Michigan
Wisconsin > Arizona State (actual game)
Nebraska > UCLA (actual game)
Northwestern > Washington
Michigan State > Oregon State
USC > Penn State
Arizona > Minnesota
Cal > Indiana
Purdue > Utah
Iowa > Washington State
Illinois > Colorado

Just my opinion, but the B1G wins this hypothetical challenge 7-5.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford wasn't really a top 5 team. They barely beat us when we started a QB who can't pass. They barely beat UCLA, Oregon State, Washington State (!!), Arizona, USC, and San Jose State (!!!).

If it wasn't for their extremely fluky win over you guys, they would have been lucky to be in the top 15. True top five teams (like you guys) don't get played evenly for 60 minutes that often by such inferior teams.

I feel similarly to you re: your statement. But I also think they have a premier coach in Shaw. I wonder how long he stays there.

How many players is Wisky returning this year? A bunch arent they? IMO and most of the other CFB fans and commentators I have heard the B1G wasnt that hot last ear. Just sayin what I saw with the eyeball test.

But I also believe this year the conference will be extremely competitive and greatly improved. I also dont think tOSU runs away with the conference. My Mom went to Ohio State and my Aunt went to Wisconsin. So I pay very close attention to the B1G and root for both of these teams. To say I dont like UM is an understatement... But hey... I get feed back from mom and aunty bout their teams. They know their shit for 60 somethin ladies... LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon > Ohio State
Stanford > Michigan
Wisconsin > Arizona State (actual game)
Nebraska <UCLA (actual game) UCLA 36-30
Northwestern > Washington
Michigan State > Oregon State No way in hell here friend...
USC > Penn State
Arizona > Minnesota
Cal > Indiana
Purdue > Utah
Iowa > Washington State
Illinois > Colorado

Just my opinion, but the B1G wins this hypothetical challenge 7-5.

Other than those I agree all the way. MSU was a train wreck last year while Oregon State went 9-3 beating Wisky in Corvallis.

And for the most part I agree with your rankings comment. Just using it as a counter argument as SoxOSU was using polls as determining who is better PAC v B1G....

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many players is Wisky returning this year? A bunch arent they?

We are returning 15 starters. Three of our seven new starters are in the secondary. Outside of them, just about everybody has a ton of game experience.

I really like our team this year, but we do get OSU in the Shoe. If we can beat Arizona State in the heat and OSU (in weeks 3 and 5), I think we'll have a real good shot of going undefeated. I've said this the last couple of years as well, but I really do think most people underestimate just how many games we lost because of poor in-game coaching from our old staff.

It's real tough to find a better player development staff than Bielema and company. It's real tough to find a better in-game coach than Gary Andersen. This year, we get the benefit of both.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I am inclined to put 2012 Indiana as at least an equal to Cal if not better... Cal was garbage

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are returning 15 starters. Three of our seven new starters are in the secondary. Outside of them, just about everybody has a ton of game experience.

I really like our team this year, but we do get OSU in the Shoe. If we can beat Arizona State in the heat and OSU (in weeks 3 and 5), I think we'll have a real good shot of going undefeated. I've said this the last couple of years as well, but I really do think most people underestimate just how many games we lost because of poor in-game coaching from our old staff.

It's real tough to find a better player development staff than Bielema and company. It's real tough to find a better in-game coach than Gary Andersen. This year, we get the benefit of both.

Always loved the ol Norwegian Andersen... Guy is a GREAT fit at Wisconsin.

And the heat in Tempe in September...:omg:

Went there in October for a night game... 104 was game high.

Luckily Oregon had the AC shoulder pads... Plug a tube right into the pads on the sideline and it brings the players body temp down... Worked out ok...

And I wanna tell you guise that this not an attempt for me to bash the B1G. Just making my case fo the PAC being better (last year)

And that is all.

I have a ton of respect for that conference top to bottom. IMO, the best fans in CFB. Both Rose Bowls I attended and every Oregon vs B1G school I was very impressed with the fans passion and class. And nobody travels like the B1G. Had many a beer in Pasadena with great people from tOSU and Wisconsin...

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, The final coaches poll has 2 B1G teams... # 23 Nebraska and # 16 Northwestern. This is the poll used to determine 1/3 of BCS... The AP has 4 B1G... #3 OSU, # 17 NW, aand 24 n 25 UM and Nebraska.... Not that great

The coaches poll also was ignoring both Ohio State and Penn State, both of whom likely would've been ranked at season's end.

Last year is last year. Stanford loses a TON of their offense and really doesn't return any real proven talent aside from Kevin Hogan. Not saying they aren't talented, but they have some huge holes to fill. I personally don't think Oregon will lose much from having the new HC, and they return a lot of big playmakers. Oregon State returns 15 starters, only notably losing Wheaton on offense. UCLA lost a lot on offense. Arizona lost their QB and top 2 WRs. I don't know much about ASU, but we'll see what they have against Wisky.

In the B1G, OSU returns everyone on offense, and the only real weak spot on defense is LB. Michigan returns a lot on offense. They lose Denard but he lost his spot to Devin Gardner anyhow, and he looks great. Wisconsin loses Ball but they have 2 other RBs who lit it up last year, and also have a better QB situation this year, as well. Northwestern returns all of their playmakers. Nebraska lost Burkhead but Abdullah was their main RB last year anyhow, and they return some very good WRs and of course T-Mart.

Like I've said, going into this season and looking at what the teams return and what I've been seeing in early projected top 25s, the B1G looks just as strong as the Pac12 and, overall, stronger than the Big12, who has to replace 5 of their 6 best QBs from last year along with many other key playmakers.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant defend Stanford as I dont have the ammo to do so. I wish some of their fanbase would grow a pair and get over to the Hoop...

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant defend Stanford as I dont have the ammo to do so. I wish some of their fanbase would grow a pair and get over to the Hoop...

I'd love to talk football with some Stanford fans.

That said, I enjoy the Oregon fans on here. You guys are fun to talk to, and unlike the Disney posters, you aren't trolls that make the fanbase look bad (which I could certainly say is an issue for OSU, as well).

Can't wait for this season. I really hope Oregon and OSU go unbeaten and face off for all the marbles. I also really want to see a Stanford v. Michigan Rose Bowl. I think those 2 teams, with the talent each has, would matchup extremely well. I also think a rematch with Stanford and Wisky would be interesting since it seems like Wisky may actually have some decent QB play lined up.

I'm also glad we get to see the rematch of UCLA vs. Nebraska. That was a really fun game to watch last year.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see Oregon get another crack at the Bucks. I love watching Oregon play historic powers. It gives programs like Oregon feel like they have hit the big time. Win or lose I always have a blast at the games... I AM GOING INSANE HERE!!!!

Hurry up Labor Day weekend....

And yes... Michigan vs Stanford would be sweet! UCLA vs Nebraska @ the Sea of Red will be epic. Two very good offenses... I am glad the PAC and B1G have signed up for so many home and homes... Oregon vs MSU in 2014 and 15. And of course tOSU in 2020 and 21...

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see Oregon get another crack at the Bucks. I love watching Oregon play historic powers. It gives programs like Oregon feel like they have hit the big time. Win or lose I always have a blast at the games... I AM GOING INSANE HERE!!!!

Hurry up Labor Day weekend....

And yes... Michigan vs Stanford would be sweet! UCLA vs Nebraska @ the Sea of Red will be epic. Two very good offenses... I am glad the PAC and B1G have signed up for so many home and homes... Oregon vs MSU in 2014 and 15. And of course tOSU in 2020 and 21...

I think Oregon's done enough recently to say they've hit the Big Time. I hear you on the going insane thing. I spend entirely too much time thinking about/planning for/analyzing teams for this upcoming football season. I think it's the whole "being off of fucking probation" that has me ready to go.

I like Stanford and Michigan simply because they are arguably the top 2 examples of great programs and elite academics, not to mention how well the lineups match up to each other. Would be a great game. I'm really liking the Oregon to murder MSU in 14 and 15... I hate to say it, but Sparty is on their way down IMO. They'll have nowhere near the speed to keep up. However, that H/H in 20 and 21 is going to be amazing. I'm really hoping we still have Meyer then. I just want to see it this year. We have so many toys in the cabinet right now, I think we'd be able to match up offensively. Now if we can just get our shit together on defense. Your DL scares me.

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Stanford is returning their entire D, won't they be a serious contender not only for a PAC title but for a shot at the Natty as well?

In my opinion, yes. We could easily see a Alabama vs Stanford Natty. :happy:

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion, yes. We could easily see a Alabama vs Stanford Natty. :happy:

They lose too much on offense, and I see Oregon throttling them to be honest. After missing out on the NC last year, Oregon is going to be white hot going into that game. Unless Helfrich somehow completely falls flat (which I just don't see), the Pac is Oregon's by a wide margin.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Oregon's done enough recently to say they've hit the Big Time. I hear you on the going insane thing. I spend entirely too much time thinking about/planning for/analyzing teams for this upcoming football season. I think it's the whole "being off of fucking probation" that has me ready to go.

I like Stanford and Michigan simply because they are arguably the top 2 examples of great programs and elite academics, not to mention how well the lineups match up to each other. Would be a great game. I'm really liking the Oregon to murder MSU in 14 and 15... I hate to say it, but Sparty is on their way down IMO. They'll have nowhere near the speed to keep up. However, that H/H in 20 and 21 is going to be amazing. I'm really hoping we still have Meyer then. I just want to see it this year. We have so many toys in the cabinet right now, I think we'd be able to match up offensively. Now if we can just get our shit together on defense. Your DL scares me.

Yeah the d line is good. Lost the pass rusher Jordan to the draft. But the hogs Kelikipi and Heimuli return. And Taylor Hart is going to be really good this year. Dude should be a 1st rounder as well.

The strength of the DUcks defense will be the secondary returning. Most Ints in the nation last year and I believe close to the top in TDs by defense as well.

LBers will be the big question mark as Alonzo was drafted in 2nd round and Clay was the defensive leader who is gone as well...

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They lose too much on offense, and I see Oregon throttling them to be honest. After missing out on the NC last year, Oregon is going to be white hot going into that game. Unless Helfrich somehow completely falls flat (which I just don't see), the Pac is Oregon's by a wide margin.

I have to disagree. How many points did Stanford need to beat Oregon last year? 17. That defense is going to be legit, the offense doesn't need to be great.

I believe Stanford will cruise through their schedule and give Oregon all they can handle. At the moment I'm gonna predict an Oregon win, but it could go either way in my opinion.

I don't believe Oregon's emotions will matter much. In the past 4 to 5 years, I've seen Oregon play 3 or 4 legit defenses, only once passing the 20 point mark. Don't get me wrong, I got mad respect for that Oregon offense, but it's probably easy to make yourself look superhuman by putting half a hundred on average teams, because they have the offense that allows them to do it.

Defense is the equalizer in this game for Stanford. Play good D, run out the clock.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way I see the Stanford-Oregon match up is going to be one of the season's best.

Good luck, Mamba.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way I see the Stanford-Oregon match up is going to be one of the season's best.

Good luck, Mamba.

Yeah in its on a damn THURSDAY!!!:gaah:

Try to explain this one to the wife... Honey leavin Wednesday, be home Friday night. Then Saturday I aint leavin the couch because Bama vs LSU are on... The Hoop CFB boards will be sizzling on that weekend!!!! WOOP WOOP!!!!

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree. How many points did Stanford need to beat Oregon last year? 17. That defense is going to be legit, the offense doesn't need to be great.

I believe Stanford will cruise through their schedule and give Oregon all they can handle. At the moment I'm gonna predict an Oregon win, but it could go either way in my opinion.

I don't believe Oregon's emotions will matter much. In the past 4 to 5 years, I've seen Oregon play 3 or 4 legit defenses, only once passing the 20 point mark. Don't get me wrong, I got mad respect for that Oregon offense, but it's probably easy to make yourself look superhuman by putting half a hundred on average teams, because they have the offense that allows them to do it.

Defense is the equalizer in this game for Stanford. Play good D, run out the clock.

Yeah this Stanford Oregon rivalry that is starting to brew up is tought to figure out... In 2012 Stanford wins holding Oregon to 14 in Autzen...

Then in 2011, Stanford is favored, and Oregon goes to the farm and lays 53 on em and wins by 23... With Luck and an equal to defense comparing it to the 2012 version...

Who knows in this game???:noidea: