• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BCS last year: Memories and 2013 projections

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it was Mamba who was talking about B1G vs Pac, not me. Both did poorly in bowl games last year. Both have programs of historical significance that have been down in recent years. Both have a couple of teams that can make noise. I don't see a lot of difference between them.

As for Stanford being better than Wisky IMO, that was all I was saying is it was my opinion and I was using that as a basis to say Oregon's overall schedule is therefor a bit more challenging than Ohio States. I did also say I don't think Oregon, Ohio State, or Alabama play schedules worthy of their perceived status. Champions should play championship football, not weak ass mid-major like cake walks. Again, just an opinion.

I think we're pretty much on the same page here, both on Pac v. B1G, Stanford, and Oregon/Ohio State's schedules. However, who does actually play a championship caliber schedule this year?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said close to a BCS team. Not ready to make prediction this game. Leaning UCLA, but Nebraska should do really well in B1G play. I could see them losing to UCLA and still getting an at large...

I don't see the loser of that game getting to the BCS.

Even the winner will be a long shot.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're pretty much on the same page here, both on Pac v. B1G, Stanford, and Oregon/Ohio State's schedules. However, who does actually play a championship caliber schedule this year?

ND and Stanford have quality schedules, but the fact that so many of the projected top 10 have just total crap schedules is sad for all of college football and really needs to be fixed. Even Saban agrees having gone on record in recent weeks saying he is in favor of AQ's just playing each other leaving out FCS and lower FBS conferences and he is in favor of going to 9 conference games.

Everyone who is a fan wins if the current cupcake era is rendered obsolete. I want to see major college football games every week and more than just one or two for an entire gaming day don't you?

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND and Stanford have quality schedules, but the fact that so many of the projected top 10 have just total crap schedules is sad for all of college football and really needs to be fixed. Even Saban agrees having gone on record in recent weeks saying he is in favor of AQ's just playing each other leaving out FCS and lower FBS conferences and he is in favor of going to 9 conference games.

Everyone who is a fan wins if the current cupcake era is rendered obsolete. I want to see major college football games every week and more than just one or two for an entire gaming day don't you?

No question I do. I can remember not long ago where OSU's schedule would consist of 3 other pretty good BCS conference teams, one halfway decent mid-major, and conference play. I loved that.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beating LSU in the Peach bowl last year was pretty good.

Making Lou Holtz and that ex UGA LB eat shit was icing on the cake. "It works great in the A she she but not so much in the esh she she." That douchebag!

4th and 16 on the final drive and Tajh and Nuk hook up for one of the best plays of the year.

bump, because I can't stand Lou Holtz.

This is one of my favorite memories. LSU had beaten ACC opponents 19 consecutive times.

I could see the LSU fans licking their chops, just waiting for Boyd to screw that last drive up and give them the ball. I have to admit I was expecting it, too.

But when Clemson got that last TD I went ballistic. I finally got to see an ACC team get the better of LSU - and in my home town in my home town bowl game. The only way it could have been better is if it were UNC instead of Clemson but they were better and we were on probation.

Anyway, kudos to Clemson for bringing the most dominant team vs. the ACC down - finally.

:yo:

Last edited by a moderator:

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bump, because I can't stand Lou Holtz.

:yo:

You are most welcome, sir.

Now us UNC guys will make a deal with you Clemson guys.

You beat the crap of UGA and we'll beat the crap out of SC.

Then everybody is happy! Do I hear an Amen?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Oregon and Ohio State go undefeated as you so predict, there is not a snow ball's chance in Hell that OSU gets in over the Ducks. No prayer. Take that to the bank.

For you to say they have no chance in hell, is absurd. Remember Oregon is in the PAC and they always seem to choke up at the end of the season anyway.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not very bright are you? He said he predicts that OSU and Oregon both go undefeated and that OSU will get the NCG nod over Oregon. Again he is predicting neither team to slip up.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For you to say they have no chance in hell, is absurd. Remember Oregon is in the PAC and they always seem to choke up at the end of the season anyway.

Funny thing is, there were 4 ranked B1G teams with 2 more receiving votes, while there were only 3 ranked Pac teams with 1 receiving votes, yet someone on here actually tried saying the Pac was somehow "head and shoulders" above the B1G.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best memory, it's pretty obvious

Predictions

National Title: Ohio State vs Texas A&M- assuming the preseason #1 curse, Alabama loses to A&M who gets into the national title.

Rose: Stanford vs Wisconsin- same two again, except Wisconsin is better this time, they finish 2nd in the Big 10 behind Ohio State, Stanford will be very good, could very well make the national title, but they have a tougher road.

Sugar: Alabama vs Oregon- I can't remember if they get first pick or not, if so this is the matchup

Orange: Clemson vs Louisville- battle of two offensive powers, who both each lost one game they shouldn't have lost.

Fiesta- Oklahoma State vs Boise State- good preview of that home and home series, Oklahoma State will be very good, Boise State meanwhile, I have us losing one game, this is assuming the loss is not to Utah State, that is the worst game we could lose this year, as it could ruin our chances at the conference crown.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BSF27, These would all be incredible matchups. Nice job...

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing is, there were 4 ranked B1G teams with 2 more receiving votes, while there were only 3 ranked Pac teams with 1 receiving votes, yet someone on here actually tried saying the Pac was somehow "head and shoulders" above the B1G.

The PAC beat the B1G head to head in the 70"s, the 80's, the 90's, the 00's and is on its way this decade as well. If that's not head n shoulders above don't know what is.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'll actually give my predictions:

ROSE BOWL: Michigan (11-2) vs. Stanford (10-2) - I am torn between Michigan and Wisconsin, but in the end I think Michigan loses 2 close games to OSU, who is in the NCG, so the Rose picks them over 10-2 Wisconsin. Stanford vs. Michigan is, on paper, a hell of a matchup that could easily go either way.

ORANGE BOWL: Florida State (12-1) vs. Alabama (10-2) -This game actually has all of the makings to be a really, really exciting ballgame. Evidently Winston is impressing everyone at FSU and already chased off his competition for the starting spot. Florida State's line is talented enough to contain Bama's RBs, but McCarron may do some work through the air against a decent but not great FSU secondary.

SUGAR BOWL: Texas A&M (12-1) vs. Texas (10-2) - This is a make or break year for Mack Brown, and I think he is able to share the conference title with Okie State and get a BCS bid, mostly because this is on of the most intriguing matchups in all of bowl season. These schools have one of the more underrated rivalries in CFB.

FIESTA BOWL: Oklahoma State (10-2) vs. Louisville (10-2) - Over/under at 105, I'm taking the over. I could see 900+ combined passing yards here. Hard to say who I'd take, all I know is that I'd be watching.

BCS NCG: Ohio State (13-0) vs. Oregon (13-0): This will be a fun one to watch. At this point, I'd say Oregon has the edge on offense while Ohio State has the edge on defense, so it will come down to which team executes. If not for the slip-up against Stanford last year, this would be a matchup of 2 teams riding 25 game winning streaks.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PAC beat the B1G head to head in the 70"s, the 80's, the 90's, the 00's and is on its way this decade as well. If that's not head n shoulders above don't know what is.

USC is the only reason you have a big winning record head-to-head over the last few decades, and they are a pathetic joke right now. Otherwise, it's pretty even. In the BCS era, the current top half of our conference using overall record from last season (Ohio State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan, Penn State, Northwestern) is 27-22 vs. the Pac12, while the top half of the Pac 12 (Oregon, Stanford, Oregon State, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State) is 23-22 vs. the B1G. The thing is, none of that matters. We're talking about most recent data, and last year, there was more quality in the B1G than in the Pac according to the polls. It is what it is.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but PAC had 2 teams in top 5....

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they will have 2 in top 5 to start the year in 1st polls. Not much separation. But most people agreed when putting their conference power polls together the PAC was better. Agree to disagree.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but PAC had 2 teams in top 5....

Stanford wasn't really a top 5 team. They barely beat us when we started a QB who can't pass. They barely beat UCLA, Oregon State, Washington State (!!), Arizona, USC, and San Jose State (!!!).

If it wasn't for their extremely fluky win over you guys, they would have been lucky to be in the top 15. True top five teams (like you guys) don't get played evenly for 60 minutes that often by such inferior teams.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, The final coaches poll has 2 B1G teams... # 23 Nebraska and # 16 Northwestern. This is the poll used to determine 1/3 of BCS... The AP has 4 B1G... #3 OSU, # 17 NW, aand 24 n 25 UM and Nebraska.... Not that great