• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BCS last year: Memories and 2013 projections

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah in its on a damn THURSDAY!!!:gaah:

Try to explain this one to the wife... Honey leavin Wednesday, be home Friday night. Then Saturday I aint leavin the couch because Bama vs LSU are on... The Hoop CFB boards will be sizzling on that weekend!!!! WOOP WOOP!!!!

Yeah, unfortunately the networks have discovered that a Thursday night game gets more viewers than a Saturday game does - with all of the other teams playing at the same time.

There will be many more Thursday night games in the future.

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah this Stanford Oregon rivalry that is starting to brew up is tought to figure out... In 2012 Stanford wins holding Oregon to 14 in Autzen...

Then in 2011, Stanford is favored, and Oregon goes to the farm and lays 53 on em and wins by 23... With Luck and an equal to defense comparing it to the 2012 version...

Who knows in this game???:noidea:

Ah yeah, I forgot about that game.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah this Stanford Oregon rivalry that is starting to brew up is tought to figure out... In 2012 Stanford wins holding Oregon to 14 in Autzen...

Then in 2011, Stanford is favored, and Oregon goes to the farm and lays 53 on em and wins by 23... With Luck and an equal to defense comparing it to the 2012 version...

Who knows in this game???:noidea:

This was my point. I think we saw Oregon play their worst game by far against basically the same defense they trounced the year before. I'd be willing to bet lots and lots of money that Oregon scores more than 14 this year. I see the outcome being much closer to 2011 than 2012.

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was my point. I think we saw Oregon play their worst game by far against basically the same defense they trounced the year before. I'd be willing to bet lots and lots of money that Oregon scores more than 14 this year. I see the outcome being much closer to 2011 than 2012.

I think you're only seeing one side of the coin there. The only reason they lost was because Oregon had a bad game? That's possible, but I would bet that it's more to do with an improved Stanford defense.

Stanford's 2011 defense gave up 40+ points to 3 different teams.

Their 2012 defense gave up 40+ only once.

That's one sign of improvement.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're only seeing one side of the coin there. The only reason they lost was because Oregon had a bad game? That's possible, but I would bet that it's more to do with an improved Stanford defense.

Stanford's 2011 defense gave up 40+ points to 3 different teams.

Their 2012 defense gave up 40+ only once.

That's one sign of improvement.

It was obviously improved, but they let up, on average, 17ppg. Obviously Oregon, the best offense they faced, only scoring 14 had more to do with Oregon messing up than Stanford executing, IMO. Not to take that win away from Stanford, but I think a fully-firing Oregon team, like we saw in every other big game last season, would've won by at least 2+ TD.

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was obviously improved, but they let up, on average, 17ppg. Obviously Oregon, the best offense they faced, only scoring 14 had more to do with Oregon messing up than Stanford executing, IMO. Not to take that win away from Stanford, but I think a fully-firing Oregon team, like we saw in every other big game last season, would've won by at least 2+ TD.

I don't think they had another big game last season did they?

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, because I'm not buying that Oregon just happened to make a bunch of mistakes against the only legit defense on their schedule, which lead to their losing.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they had another big game last season did they?

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, because I'm not buying that Oregon just happened to make a bunch of mistakes against the only legit defense on their schedule, which lead to their losing.

Kansas State and Oregon State were the only other ranked teams they faced, and both had pretty decent defenses (22nd and 28th nationally). Oregon had no problem with either defense. You certainly make good points, but it just seemed like, when watching that game, something was really off about Oregon's offense. It was like they weren't in sync with each other. It doesn't help that they missed 2 FG attempts and turned the ball over on downs at the Stanford 6.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SoxOSU, RT14-0, I am certain that it was a combo of both of the arguments you are making. If it wasnt for DeAnthony THomas trying to prove he was faster than Super Mario-TA instead of making a block Oregon wins...

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:omg:
USC is the only reason you have a big winning record head-to-head over the last few decades, and they are a pathetic joke right now. Otherwise, it's pretty even. In the BCS era, the current top half of our conference using overall record from last season (Ohio State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan, Penn State, Northwestern) is 27-22 vs. the Pac12, while the top half of the Pac 12 (Oregon, Stanford, Oregon State, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State) is 23-22 vs. the B1G. The thing is, none of that matters. We're talking about most recent data, and last year, there was more quality in the B1G than in the Pac according to the polls. It is what it is.

Take USC out of the equation and the PAC still has over a .550 winning % and still wins the last 4 decades in a row. Also please note if you are going to kick one set of teams best team out you need to kick the other best team out of the other set. You're right it is what it is - The PAC does beat the B1G almost 60% of the time.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:omg:

Take USC out of the equation and the PAC still has over a .550 winning % and still wins the last 4 decades in a row. Also please note if you are going to kick one set of teams best team out you need to kick the other best team out of the other set. You're right it is what it is - The PAC does beat the B1G almost 60% of the time.

No you don't. The other best team (Ohio State) is still very, very good. Since we're talking about the current state of both conferences, we're talking about the current top teams. Like I said, the current top half of the B1G has a better record against the Pac than the current top half of the Pac does against the B1G. In the past, you guys have been better. Going into this coming year, what happened years ago means nothing. That's why I broke down each of the top teams in each conference. If you want to comment on that, be my guest.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just thought a conference included all the teams. But if you must the top 5 teams in the PAC are USC, Oregon, UCLA, OS & Stanford since 2000 those teams are: 27-11 - ok take out USC which by the way has the 2nd most wins in the PAC since 2000, so let's go ahead and cherry pick the stats. Let's throw USC out per your request and sub in Cal. The PAC still has the edge 23-14. I bet every conference can take their top half and produce a favorable winning %. The SEC is on top, then the Big 12 and PAC are an argument for #2 since 2000. Sorry Sox but the B1G has a ton of work to do.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just thought a conference included all the teams. But if you must the top 5 teams in the PAC are USC, Oregon, UCLA, OS & Stanford since 2000 those teams are: 27-11 - ok take out USC which by the way has the 2nd most wins in the PAC since 2000, so let's go ahead and cherry pick the stats. Let's throw USC out per your request and sub in Cal. The PAC still has the edge 23-14. I bet every conference can take their top half and produce a favorable winning %. The SEC is on top, then the Big 12 and PAC are an argument for #2 since 2000. Sorry Sox but the B1G has a ton of work to do.

Dude, what the hell are you not understanding? USC, right now, is not worth a damn. I am talking about the current state of the conferences. I really don't know how I can be any clearer. If you want to blow the USC horn about wins from years and years ago with none of the same players or coaches still there, go right ahead. It means nothing for this coming season.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 straight pages of who's conference has a bigger peen. Talk about a thread hijacking.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 straight pages of who's conference has a bigger peen. Talk about a thread hijacking.

It originally started out by me saying I thought that, this coming season, the B1G was as good as the Pac. Clearly I was out of line. :finger:

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It originally started out by me saying I thought that, this coming season, the B1G was as good as the Pac. Clearly I was out of line. :finger:

Yes. You were out of line bro. Again, there is no comparison. The Pac 12 is superior to the Big 10. That's the way it is. You'll have to deal with it.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best memory, it's pretty obvious

Predictions

National Title: Ohio State vs Texas A&M- assuming the preseason #1 curse, Alabama loses to A&M who gets into the national title.

Rose: Stanford vs Wisconsin- same two again, except Wisconsin is better this time, they finish 2nd in the Big 10 behind Ohio State, Stanford will be very good, could very well make the national title, but they have a tougher road.

Sugar: Alabama vs Oregon- I can't remember if they get first pick or not, if so this is the matchup

Orange: Clemson vs Louisville- battle of two offensive powers, who both each lost one game they shouldn't have lost.

Fiesta- Oklahoma State vs Boise State- good preview of that home and home series, Oklahoma State will be very good, Boise State meanwhile, I have us losing one game, this is assuming the loss is not to Utah State, that is the worst game we could lose this year, as it could ruin our chances at the conference crown.

The Orange Bowl get first pick for at large opponents, Sugar second, Fiesta last.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just hope the Cats can finally become a actual contender!!! Welcome Stoops!!! lol :peace:

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. You were out of line bro. Again, there is no comparison. The Pac 12 is superior to the Big 10. That's the way it is. You'll have to deal with it.

Historically, it has been better. Going into this year, I don't see it. We had more ranked teams at the end of last year and more teams receiving votes, so the voters clearly would disagree wholeheartedly with you.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. A lot of people thing A&M has a shot at the Natty this year...which is a far cry from what I was hearing last year.