• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bad rookie class, or tremendous depth?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of our rookies have played a snap this year. In fact, not a single one has even been active for a game. Is it because it's a poor, or raw draft class, or is it because we're an extremely deep team? A combination of both?

I actually thought it was one of our better drafts in a while.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
very good question.......IMO a combination of both but weighted towards talented team.

also, these are end of the round picks, whereas most of our previous picks (beginning2005) were top 10 or close to it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I liked James a lot (wanted Dwaaaaayne! Allen), but I thought 2012 was a pretty weak overall draft class.

James is probably raw. I don't think Jenkins is. I don't know what the deal is with that guy. I didn't really like the pick (probably would've taken Janoris or S. Hill w/ Perry off the board or a trade down for Curry). But if I had to chose an answer, I'd say it's the depth. Jenkins would probably be playing if the Niners were 1-4. And the Niners have the best RB depth in the NFL.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say depth is the reason they have been inactive. It would be cool to see Kaepernick and L. James run the read option together.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say depth is the reason they have been inactive. It would be cool to see Kaepernick and L. James run the read option together.

Every time I see kap run it i think to myself that's why they got James. I got to wonder if something else is keeping Jenkins off the field. why he's not on playing instead of Ginn? is it just because Ginn returns punts?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I see kap run it i think to myself that's why they got James. I got to wonder if something else is keeping Jenkins off the field. why he's not on playing instead of Ginn? is it just because Ginn returns punts?

Alex is keeping LMJ off the field because once Kaep starts, LMJ will be activated. Something about being on top of the QBR and passer rating lists makes it hard to change QBs. Just kidding, I think he's still learning and will come out pretty soon (soon as in by the end of the season rather than next year).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
although it is mainly Jenkins and LMJ, don't count out Looney and Robinson from getting snaps? not saying they'll start, but get opportunities for snaps. unfortunately, Fleming got hurt so next year will be his 'rookie' year with pads on.

yes, it'll be hard to unseat Boone but injuries are part of football. should Boone or either OT get dinged.....maybe Looney?

Goldson will be hard to retain next season, so again.....maybe Robinson?

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its depth and building for the future. Also I do believe that Robinson suited up the first two games and played on special teams. But overall our draft class has not contributed in game.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a tough question. I expect Jenkins and James to be contributors sometime very soon. If not this year, then definitely next year. Looney didn't really get a chance to start since he was injured. I think it's more of a testament to how good our football team is, but we really can't say for sure until they are called upon.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just to clarify, Celek has been active and gotten snaps (I know, not a draft pick), and Robinson was active for the first game, and maybe the second? He played on ST though, no snaps on defense I believe.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As to the question at hand, I hope it's the latter, and I believe it is.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but this is the reason I'm in favour of making a big move in the draft next year to move and get a superstar type.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As to the question at hand, I hope it's the latter, and I believe it is.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but this is the reason I'm in favour of making a big move in the draft next year to move and get a superstar type.

Who would you like us to consider?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I don't know, but I would target a DL, WR, CB, pass rusher or FS (depending on the Goldson situation).

My preference is DL all though I'm not really sold on one particular guy at this point. If we're talking about trading up, the only WR the only player i would want us to do that for is Justin Hunter.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
My preference is DL all though I'm not really sold on one particular guy at this point. If we're talking about trading up, the only WR the only player i would want us to do that for is Justin Hunter.

I'm hoping for an OLB. Can't have too many pass rushers. Ask the VaGiants.

Maybe DE could be a pass rusher too though. Like you inferred: the class doesn't look extremely strong.

Hunter's one of the three realistic players for whom I'd want to trade up though (along w/ Hankins & Keenan Allen).

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe DE could be a pass rusher too though. Like you inferred: the class doesn't look extremely strong.

Hunter's one of the three realistic players for whom I'd want to trade up though (along w/ Hankins & Keenan Allen).

We will definitely need another pass rushing OLB. Especially considering we will probably lose Haralson at the end of the year. I don't think it's worth trading up in the first round for, though.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With our shortage of DE and NT on our team that are ready to contribute any time soon past our starters and RJF and with Cam Johnson as our developmental OLB, I would say that DE and NT are far greater needs, especially considering the ages/contract situations of JS and Ice.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
We will definitely need another pass rushing OLB. Especially considering we will probably lose Haralson at the end of the year. I don't think it's worth trading up in the first round for, though.

Trading up? Definitely not (unless something obscene happens like Jarvis Jones hanging around 'til the 20's or something).

There could be a ton of good pass rushers in this class depending on who declares. It's one position that looks pretty strong. That, safety, interior OL & maybe CB.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
None of our rookies have played a snap this year. In fact, not a single one has even been active for a game. Is it because it's a poor, or raw draft class, or is it because we're an extremely deep team? A combination of both?

I actually thought it was one of our better drafts in a while.

Combination of both but much heavier on the depth side of things rather than the raw side.

At our draft spot there really wasn't a guy we could've drafted that was going to be a day 1 starter because our depth was so strong. Maybe you argue RG at the time but right now with Boone playing like he is RG would've been a waste of a pick in hindsight.

But Baalke's MO thus far has been to draft high upside raw guys and get them coached up. So far he's been pretty successful at it because a lot of his picks if you did a redraft would be drafted higher than they taken or not seen as reaches.

Jenkins was to me a for the future pick because our depth at WR is quickly going to fade and when it does Jenkins will be able to slide right in.

LMJ is in the same boat because our crowded backfield won't be so crowded soon but I do believe his time will come later on in this season. Harbaugh is a strategist and my belief is he's holding back on guys like Jacobs, LMJ, and Moss to a certain extent till when he needs them later on in the season and in the playoffs. I mean when Gore and Hunter wear down a bit as the season goes on then you inject Jacobs and LMJ both with fresh legs into the lineup. I mean wouldn't it be great to make Gore a healthy inactive for the last two games of the season and give him plenty of rest so he can run strong in the playoffs?