• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Back up QB?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much worse QBs than Trubisky have won it all.

Matt Nagy needs to wake up.

Your great coaches do what is needed to win, regardless of their preferred "style" of play.

The only QB I think was as bad was Peyton Manning's corpse in 2015. Dilfer's numbers in the late 90's and early 00's were a bit better than Trubisky's.

It's easier to find mediocre/average QB play than it is to build an all-time great defensive unit like the 00 Ravens or 15 Broncos. Any of the names listed in here give you that (sans Bortles and Taysom Hill).

I thought we might have a unit of that caliber this season before Hicks went down. A lot has to come together, though.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we're doing this wrong?
We want a good backup. We're tossing out names while others are voicing their veto.

Maybe we need to break with logic and sign some bum like Mariota?

We see this time and time again... a team, like say, the Titans, signs the average and unwanted Ryan Tannehill, and he pushes Tennessee into the playoff race.

Maybe a bum like Mariota is the 2020 version of Tannehill? Or the Bears version of Thomas Jones (who was a bust of a RB before getting here).

:noidea: :2cents: :noidea:

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We want a good backup. We're tossing out names while others are voicing their veto.

We see this time and time again... a team, like say, the Titans, signs the average and unwanted Ryan Tannehill, and he pushes Tennessee into the playoff race.

Maybe a bum like Mariota is the 2020 version of Tannehill? Or the Bears version of Thomas Jones (who was a bust of a RB before getting here).

Good point. I don’t think I ever went on record about Tannehill, but I always thought he was a solid starter, just very injury prone. Mariota had a good year his rookie year, then sucked. He might be worthwhile as a back up. I kind of doubt it though.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tannehill was never a bum, though. He actually had a couple really nice seasons. Dude was just always banged up and tended to be inconsistent. That organization has also been a joke for a while.

He has a phenomenal O-line and great run game. Along with an emerging stud WR in AJ Brown. The fact that Mariota looked so putrid with those same assets should tell you everything you need to know.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much worse QBs than Trubisky have won it all.

Matt Nagy needs to wake up.

Your great coaches do what is needed to win, regardless of their preferred "style" of play.

The difference between Mitch and Trent......The Ravens iffense had a HOF te and a rb that went for 1400+.....We dont have that, not to mention a HOF tackle in Jonathan Ogden......and if hes not in there, its as bad as not having Hester in there....

Till we get some type of offense, no way in hell does this defense take us to a SB.....

2018 was an indication of what it can do,and we still loss....albiet a double doink fg, but the still couldnt stop Phi from getting a go ahead td with less than 2 mins in the game........

It woould take a def like the 85 Bears,00 Ravens or even the TB def of 2002 for them to be able to win it........And I dont see our defense being that good.....

We all can hope for the better, but I heard on The Score, we are in cap hell......So we have that to ponder about to to be able to get name players....

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between Mitch and Trent......The Ravens iffense had a HOF te and a rb that went for 1400+.....We dont have that, not to mention a HOF tackle in Jonathan Ogden......and if hes not in there, its as bad as not having Hester in there....

Till we get some type of offense, no way in hell does this defense take us to a SB.....

2018 was an indication of what it can do,and we still loss....albiet a double doink fg, but the still couldnt stop Phi from getting a go ahead td with less than 2 mins in the game........

It woould take a def like the 85 Bears,00 Ravens or even the TB def of 2002 for them to be able to win it........And I dont see our defense being that good.....

We all can hope for the better, but I heard on The Score, we are in cap hell......So we have that to ponder about to to be able to get name players....

It's funny how the game works. If our O just helped out a bit, I assure you this defense would look MUCH better.

Last year, our O still sucked, but they were able to catch opponents off guard early, and get leads. This Bears D with a lead, is pretty damn good.

If the O was a touch better last year, the Bears could've easily gone all the way. Instead, they were exposed late season and playoffs, and that carried over to this season, with an even worse offensive output.

As stands, no D would be good enough to make up for this shitty Offense.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We were in cap hell but Fuller's restructure helped a ton. A couple other guys are candidates to be cut loose or restructure as well.

We're not going to be making any huge splashes but we should be able to bring in guys to help out where we need it.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, according to one NFL exec, nameless of course, Mariota seems to be a workable choice, assuming the Bears go after a used veteran to backup Trubisky.

NFL Exec Sees Marcus Mariota Signing With the Bears

God damnit... He's literally just Mitch in 2 years.

If we sign Mariota or Bridgewater. I'll be quite unhappy. Bridgewater is proven shit as a starter and Mariota is just... proven shit, in general. I suppose I would prefer Bridgewater... but the money he will get vs Mariota makes them equally unappealing.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just no more Chase Daniel for the love of God...I know we're just gonna resign him and roll with the same sh*t again...but I just don't want to.. :(

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just no more Chase Daniel for the love of God...I know we're just gonna resign him and roll with the same sh*t again...but I just don't want to.. :(

I wouldn't be so fast. You could tell by McCaskey's comments at the end of season presser that he wasn't exactly all aboard the Mitch train. It would appear that ownership wants a legitimate QB with starting upside brought into challenge/push Trubisky.

Bears Ownership 'Soured' on Mitch Trubisky, Want Competition in 2020

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be so fast. You could tell by McCaskey's comments at the end of season presser that he wasn't exactly all aboard the Mitch train. It would appear that ownership wants a legitimate QB with starting upside brought into challenge/push Trubisky.

That's what I was talking about yesterday...Bears brass love Ryan Pace. Trubisky and Nagy are going to sink him. Same sh*t happened with Lovie...Eventually they broke. And as unfair as it is...once bitten twice shy. We've seen this "no offense and our QB sucks" song and dance too many times before. If our offense is as pathetic as it was in 2019 in 2020, people are going to be thrown out on their ass in a hurry. Pace will be the last of the 3 of he Nagy and Trubisky, but it's very possible all 3 of them get the ouster if we are bottom five in offense again....and...more importantly, the games are just miserable to watch.

Every f*cking game was pure misery to watch this season. Don't get me wrong. I love my Bears and watched them...but any unbiased casual football fan groaned when they saw us on primetime. You can't suck competitively AND be unentertaining in what is, in the end, an entertainment business. That's a kiss of death for a GM. Put a product out on the field that people can enjoy...even if they don't win a Super Bowl at least they can be fun to watch.

The 2019 football season was a goddamn root canal....and our players were having disco parties right after the games. It's all just some bullsh*t...sigh.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, and I hope you're right...I hate Chase Daniel as a football player so bad....so so bad. Just looking at this picture triggers me:

DsjuQhUW0AoB0yN.jpg:large

giphy.gif

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dress like an asshole and never throws for six!

Canyoneroooooo!!!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dress like an asshole and never throws for six!

Canyoneroooooo!!!

It's kind of weird to hate a guy who was a serviceable backup here. Had us right in every game he started. He threw 3 TD's in his only start this year. 3-2 including the Vikings game where he only didn't play the first 4 snaps...

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kind of weird to hate a guy who was a serviceable backup here. Had us right in every game he started. He threw 3 TD's in his only start this year. 3-2 including the Vikings game where he only didn't play the first 4 snaps...

The highest paid backup in football...and he sucked so bad....We should be ashamed. You're on the record saying we could make the Super Bowl with a serviceable QB...How the f*ck can you support Daniel as the highest paid backup in football when we lose to the Giants and Raiders? He handed the Giants a win against us in the first minute of what should have been a Bears rout. And don't even get me started about his punt to end the Raiders game. BFD he beat the Lions and didn't lose for the first time vs. the Vikings in Soldier since I was a toddler or some sh*t.

We are just so dumb about the QB position. *sighs*

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The highest paid backup in football...and he sucked so bad....We should be ashamed. You're on the record saying we could make the Super Bowl with a serviceable QB...How the f*ck can you support Daniel as the highest paid backup in football when we lose to the Giants and Raiders? He handed the Giants a win against us in the first minute of what should have been a Bears rout. And don't even get me started about his punt to end the Raiders game. BFD he beat the Lions and didn't lose for the first time vs. the Vikings in Soldier since I was a toddler or some sh*t.

We are just so dumb about the QB position. *sighs*

Okay, first of all, we lost to the Vikings at home in 2017. Literally, only one game between his game and that one. lol

"Backup"... "Backup"... Why are you grading him out as a starter? lol

Also, we scored 27 points in the Giants game. What more could you basically want from a backup? Is it Daniel's fault that Saquon had a huge day and our D had the worst game of the year?

Also, why does losing to the Giants/Raiders make him bad... but beating the Vikings by multiple scores not make him good? By your logic, it should. No?

He was 3-2 and beat a team whose still in the playoffs right now. Slice it anyway you want but you cannot get around that. It is good backup play.

He gave us a chance in all three games. He had our D one stop and a 98 yard safe zone away from securing the Oakland game. He put the D in a position vs NYG where they just couldn't let Saquon run wild. The D failed both. A backup QB isn't there to make up for your defense's problems. That's not the expectation. He's there to give you a chance.

Daniel threw 3 TD's and scored more points in that game than we did in 11 of our 15 other games. lol. The Raiders also won 7 games to our 8. I'm not sure where we're supposed to have been a world's different from them.

Chase as the Bears backup

3-2 Record 70% CMP 950 yards 6.8 Y/A 6 TD's 4 INT's 91.1 Rating

How many backups fair better than that over a 5 game sample size?

Daniel did his job as a backup and this isn't even disputable. He would be a great backup for a team who had a stable starter.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, first of all, we lost to the Vikings at home in 2017. Literally, only one game between his game and that one. lol

"Backup"... "Backup"... Why are you grading him out as a starter? lol

Also, we scored 27 points in the Giants game. What more could you basically want from a backup? Is it Daniel's fault that Saquon had a huge day and our D had the worst game of the year?

Also, why does losing to the Giants/Raiders make him bad... but beating the Vikings by multiple scores not make him good? By your logic, it should. No?

He was 3-2 and beat a team whose still in the playoffs right now. Slice it anyway you want but you cannot get around that. It is good backup play.

He gave us a chance in all three games. He had our D one stop and a 98 yard safe zone away from securing the Oakland game. He put the D in a position vs NYG where they just couldn't let Saquon run wild. The D failed both. A backup QB isn't there to make up for your defense's problems. That's not the expectation. He's there to give you a chance.

Daniel threw 3 TD's and scored more points in that game than we did in 11 of our 15 other games. lol. The Raiders also won 7 games to our 8. I'm not sure where we're supposed to have been a world's different from them.

Chase as the Bears backup

3-2 Record 70% CMP 950 yards 6.8 Y/A 6 TD's 4 INT's 91.1 Rating

How many backups fair better than that over a 5 game sample size?

Daniel did his job as a backup and this isn't even disputable. He would be a great backup for a team who had a stable starter.

Oh right...One for the last decade or so...I forget these things posting with a lot of Vikes regs on the morning thread and how they constantly refer to Soldier as a house of horrors. Like it matters that much...Chase Daniel had very little to do with that win...or the Lions win. Jesus...Just thinking about him running (in what looked like slow motion) on that stupid trick play from that Turkey day game gives me nightmares.

You can make your bed with Chase Daniel as a backup and pray he never steps on the field if those stats you posted give you comfort. I'm not going down that path with you. F*ck that guy. New blood. Please.