• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Back up QB?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does the hiring of Bill Lazor hint that they may target the Red Rifle as backup?

Andy-Dalton-1000x600.jpg

More likely McCarron, IMO. For reasons illustrated above.

I think someone is going to make Dalton a starter or at least give him a chance to compete in training camp with a younger guy.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think their pass-blocking was ok. Not great, but serviceable.

Their run blocking, on the other hand was atrocious, but I honestly think the scheme is shit. It's over-complicated nonsense. If it works, it can hit a big run, but it asks an awful lot of yer linemen.

I think winning football is smashmouth. You have to be able to run the ball effectively. Impose your will en sech, particularly late in the season when it counts the most. Nagy kinda came around to it late this year, but 2 years in, he has definitely shown an aversion to it. That is bothersome to me. Hopefully this season will provide a lesson to glean from.

This is exactly why Im kinda on the mend of getting getting two o-lineman via of 1st two picks of the draft or freeagency........with Long retiring,thats inevitable.......
Right now Tennesse is killing it with the running of Henry............from game 10 on.the guy has been on fire....7 of his last 8 games hes had way over a 100.......Hes absolutley taken them to the AFCCG.............

We get some o-lineman in here that can run block,with a te,I think we finally have an offense that can score plenty,coupled with our def,I dont think it would be silly at all to think we could be in a championship drive ourself.........

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want to win a Super Bowl, Chicago is a great destination. I think Rivers is the most likely. If not, it’d be stupid to not use a draft pick on a back up QB, IMO. Especially if one of the top 5 is still available in the second round.

Im still not sold on any of those three making it here......

With what Brady/Brees has done for their teams,I see them retiring for those teams.......theres no reason for them to go anyplace else.............(ya I know,see Manning)

Brady leaves,NE goes to shambles.....and as long as he wants to play in 21,he stays.......
Brees has a couple good years left in him and with an offense that has all the right tools and a decent def........
When those two teams raft a qb,then yeah,their times up........Till then i dont see it.

As for Rivers..........I can see him packing up and leaving SD.....Would he come here..........?..........possibly,an outside chance,but I tend to think hed want to stay stay in a warm climate.........

Im really on board with 2 o-lineman and a te as priorities right now........

But I change my mind all the time......lol

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im still not sold on any of those three making it here......

With what Brady/Brees has done for their teams,I see them retiring for those teams.......theres no reason for them to go anyplace else.............(ya I know,see Manning)

Brady leaves,NE goes to shambles.....and as long as he wants to play in 21,he stays.......
Brees has a couple good years left in him and with an offense that has all the right tools and a decent def........
When those two teams raft a qb,then yeah,their times up........Till then i dont see it.

As for Rivers..........I can see him packing up and leaving SD.....Would he come here..........?..........possibly,an outside chance,but I tend to think hed want to stay stay in a warm climate.........

Im really on board with 2 o-lineman and a te as priorities right now........

But I change my mind all the time......lol

I don't think you've been following the Brady saga very closely over the past few years. There is not some sort of mutual love and admiration between him and BB. BB wanted to keep Jimmy G and move on from Brady at the time. Kraft pulled a power move and removed the option from the table.

Brady's doing interviews talking about his time with NE in the past tense. Moving his shit out of his suite at Gillette Stadium and clearing out his main home in the NE area. Reports from local sportswriters that he would take meetings with the Chargers, Bears and a couple of others.

Do I think Brady comes here? It's definitely a longshot. But I also don't think he plays in New England next year unless they sit down and work a lot of stuff out between each other. I would be inclined to bet against it. Not a huge amount. But... against it.

Brees, yeah. He's not going anywhere. However, Payton does feel that he already has his guy in Taysom Hill when Brees is gone. By a multitude of reports.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you've been following the Brady saga very closely over the past few years. There is not some sort of mutual love and admiration between him and BB. BB wanted to keep Jimmy G and move on from Brady at the time. Kraft pulled a power move and removed the option from the table.

Brady's doing interviews talking about his time with NE in the past tense. Moving his shit out of his suite at Gillette Stadium and clearing out his main home in the NE area. Reports from local sportswriters that he would take meetings with the Chargers, Bears and a couple of others.

Do I think Brady comes here? It's definitely a longshot. But I also don't think he plays in New England next year unless they sit down and work a lot of stuff out between each other. I would be inclined to bet against it. Not a huge amount. But... against it.

Brees, yeah. He's not going anywhere. However, Payton does feel that he already has his guy in Taysom Hill when Brees is gone. By a multitude of reports.

Oh Ive heard before those two never really seen eye to eye..........but if BB really thought he could go on with without Brady and installed Garropollo,he would have been deadass wrong.
No way in hell JG would have taken those Pats to the SB multiple times.....Maybe BB is not as great as coach as people make him out to be if all is true.....
And Brady is a damn fool to leave...........if his heart is still in it like he says,and Kraft and him agree they should part ways so be it........
But hopefully its not the feud between him and BB..........
Its not like he needs money or needs to prove anything else,other than doesnt wanna go out in a 1st rd playoff game.................
and if thats the case,I really dont think he will ever get back what he once had in NE...........

So just for shits-n-giggles:

Say he did come here...............
1. Hes gonna command a lot of money.......Do we have that to spend...........?
2. If we did sign him,what happens when a 43 yr old qb flops miserably.........?.......and I think he would.
You thought the fans booed Trubisky.........?.........Weve heard nothing yet.
Not only would Brady look the part of a fool for thinking he can go somewhere else and be successful............. Pace would no longer have a job............

And if I can come up with these scenarios,Bradys agent should be able too and whispering these in his ear........
Theres more to it than packing his bags and saying see ya.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about AJ McCarron?

Linked to Lazor and I honestly never understood why he didn't get a shot after performing quite solidly while winning the division for Cincy following the Dalton injury. Then, he should have won their first playoff game under Marvin if it wasn't for Jeremy Hill, Pacman Jones and Bengals things.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about AJ McCarron?

Linked to Lazor and I honestly never understood why he didn't get a shot after performing quite solidly while winning the division for Cincy following the Dalton injury. Then, he should have won their first playoff game under Marvin if it wasn't for Jeremy Hill, Pacman Jones and Bengals things.
I liked him coming out of college. I don’t know much about his starts for Cincy though. My guess is there was a reason they stuck with Dalton over him, which is usually the case. He would be a nice option if none of the big 3 FAs come here and we don’t draft anyone.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked him coming out of college. I don’t know much about his starts for Cincy though. My guess is there was a reason they stuck with Dalton over him, which is usually the case. He would be a nice option if none of the big 3 FAs come here and we don’t draft anyone.

Well, they had just paid Dalton literally one year prior.

He was 2-1 (only loss was on the road in OT to eventual SB champion Broncos) with 6 TD's (5.0% TD) 2 INT's (1.7%) 856 yards 7.2 Y/A 97.1 Rating

Finished off a tight divisional race with Pittsburgh. Then, he played them in the first round and led what appeared to be a game winning TD drive to go up by 1 with just over 2 minutes left. Steelers turned it over next drive. They honestly just had to not fumble and at best it's a hail mary try for Pittsburgh. Jeremy Hill fumbles the first carry. Then, they force a 4th and long before Pacman Jones punches a guy and it puts Pittsburgh in field goal range with a 1st down. They kick the game winning field goal.

It was one of the worst playoff losses I had ever seen and typical Bengals. But definitely not on McCarron. Those four games were his first action and he was solid.

He has not played since. Browns had that blunder where they traded for him at the deadline but their fax machine broke and they couldn't send the paperwork. lol. Never got him.

He's just never had his shot. I'm not saying he's a surefire stud, but I think he's a SUPER interesting backup and insurance plan if Trubisky shows no growth after 4-5 games into the season. At some point, Nagy is going to realize he has to coach for his job and not this kid.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they had just paid Dalton literally one year prior.

He was 2-1 (only loss was on the road in OT to eventual SB champion Broncos) with 6 TD's (5.0% TD) 2 INT's (1.7%) 856 yards 7.2 Y/A 97.1 Rating

Finished off a tight divisional race with Pittsburgh. Then, he played them in the first round and led what appeared to be a game winning TD drive to go up by 1 with just over 2 minutes left. Steelers turned it over next drive. They honestly just had to not fumble and at best it's a hail mary try for Pittsburgh. Jeremy Hill fumbles the first carry. Then, they force a 4th and long before Pacman Jones punches a guy and it puts Pittsburgh in field goal range with a 1st down. They kick the game winning field goal.

It was one of the worst playoff losses I had ever seen and typical Bengals. But definitely not on McCarron. Those four games were his first action and he was solid.

He has not played since. Browns had that blunder where they traded for him at the deadline but their fax machine broke and they couldn't send the paperwork. lol. Never got him.

He's just never had his shot. I'm not saying he's a surefire stud, but I think he's a SUPER interesting backup and insurance plan if Trubisky shows no growth after 4-5 games into the season. At some point, Nagy is going to realize he has to coach for his job and not this kid.
Oh yeah! I forgot the browns wanted him. They wanted Trubisky too, so I don’t know how much I value their judgement. I agree that he is intriguing if the bears fall flat on their face or simply don’t attempt to improve the QB position.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears need to fix the Oline and get a TE. Give Trubs next year to sink or swim. With a horrible run game and bad Oline and no TE and shit play calling, it really does not matter who the QB is. Fix the real problems and Trubs will be a solid QB. IMO.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears need to fix the Oline and get a TE. Give Trubs next year to sink or swim. With a horrible run game and bad Oline and no TE and shit play calling, it really does not matter who the QB is. Fix the real problems and Trubs will be a solid QB. IMO.
My initial take on the upcoming draft is for the Bears to use their two 2nd rounders on the OL & TE. Of course who we sign or who we lose in free agency could alter that approach.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've never heard this kind of thing said about the great ones...Only the "never-have-been-or-will-bes"....

Traded up for 2nd pick of the draft...We whiffed so hard. We're in "salvage" mode ffs.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial take on the upcoming draft is for the Bears to use their two 2nd rounders on the OL & TE. Of course who we sign or who we lose in free agency could alter that approach.
I wouldn't be opposed to using both 2nds on the O line. It was that bad last year, and we're stuck with Burton for another year anyway. Leno, Massie and Coward were all pretty terrible and both Leno and Massie are signed long-term.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be opposed to using both 2nds on the O line. It was that bad last year, and we're stuck with Burton for another year anyway. Leno, Massie and Coward were all pretty terrible and both Leno and Massie are signed long-term.
I might not either, but unless we sign a proven veteran TE in the coming weeks, I'd sure feel a heck of a lot better if we invested one of those two picks in a highly rated TE from a major program. I don't have any stats to back this up, but I'm willing to guess we were at the bottom or very close to the bottom of the league in production from that position last season.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This.......

I teally think we need two o-lineman with our first two picks and concentrate on Hunter Henry from the Chargers as our top freeagent signing......And I would be happy as hell........

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.......

I teally think we need two o-lineman with our first two picks and concentrate on Hunter Henry from the Chargers as our top freeagent signing......And I would be happy as hell........

Just wondering out loud after I read this post...How many teams actually have played in the Super Bowl rocking 2 or more rookie offensive linemen?

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering out loud after I read this post...How many teams actually have played in the Super Bowl rocking 2 or more rookie offensive linemen?

I have no idea.....but as bad as o- line play was, we could use two......especially now Long is retired......

It was horrible....nuff said.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know there have been QB's to win with poor offensive lines. Ben won his 2nd with a line rather renowned for being shit. It certainly would not be close to the norm but I doubt that it's unheard of.