• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G Recruiting for 2016 Gets Serious

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops, sorry. Looking at the wiki page it lists conference wins first (where as Michigan's wiki lists total wins first):
List of Washington Huskies football seasons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But even so, Washington hasn't seen the same success in the 2000's that Michigan has seen. Since 2000 Washington has 87 wins to Michigan's 119. We had 3 losing seasons, they had 7. Washington doesn't have nearly the history of winning that Michigan does. Currently winning has little to do with recruiting. Sure, it matters if you are one of the top, top teams in CFB but for the rest of the landscape, it has less of an impact. Hoke and RR were both able recruit well despite Michigan having recent losing seasons. It's more than just that. What mattes to a recruit differs drastically. It can, and often is, about schools, facilities, who the coach is, if they like the teammates, if they like the area that the college is in, and a bunch of other factors beyond what our record was last year.

Nebraska is a better comparison and even then we're generally able to pull in better talent because of our school and facilities. Without some luck, Michigan isn't going to get a top 5 class this year, but we're certainly not as bad off as you think we are and our name, facilities and school still hold a lot of weight in the CFB world. We're no where near as bad off as Washington is and I think we're in a much better position than Nebraska is. And I think you'll see that we continue to average 4 year spans well ahead of either of those teams in the recruiting rankings during the Harbaugh regime.

And no, these rankings are not the difference between just 1 four star kid. Like I said, the average star rankings of the classes are generally pretty drastic

2015 - we were ranked almost 20 spots behind Nebraska but pulled in one more four star recruit than them
2014 - Despite only being ranked 1 above them, we had a five star and two four stars above them
2013 - We were ranked 12 above them and had 11 more four stars and a five star
2012 - We had two five stars and 4 four stars more than them
2011 - Nebraska had 5 more four stars than Michigan
2010 - Nebraska had 2 more four stars than Michigan
2009 - Michigan had 1 five star and 8 four stars more than Neb
2008 - Nebraska had 1 five star more that UM but UM had 15 more four stars than Nebraska

And that's just in one of the worst stretches in our history. It's dramatically different in the talent being brought in -- even in our two worst ranked classes ever we beat them in four and five star talent. And even this class looks like it's going to be a similar difference unless Nebraska finishes super strong.

So no, our name is not as tarnished as Washington and we do have an easier time recruiting than Nebraska. And it's not unreasonable for me to expect more than what we're seeing currently.
As far as what you are in the eyes of the average 17/18 year old, you might as well be Nebraska or Washington. You have a lot of ground to make up in order to get back to where you once were. I'm not saying you are exactly the same as Washington and Nebraska, it was simply a comparison to two other teams who were once great but have fallen off dramatically, like michigan has.

Right now, if you expect you just have high 4* and 5* kids flocking to your program, you're going to be extremely disappointed.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops, sorry. Looking at the wiki page it lists conference wins first (where as Michigan's wiki lists total wins first):
List of Washington Huskies football seasons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But even so, Washington hasn't seen the same success in the 2000's that Michigan has seen. Since 2000 Washington has 87 wins to Michigan's 119. We had 3 losing seasons, they had 7. Washington doesn't have nearly the history of winning that Michigan does. Currently winning has little to do with recruiting. Sure, it matters if you are one of the top, top teams in CFB but for the rest of the landscape, it has less of an impact. Hoke and RR were both able recruit well despite Michigan having recent losing seasons. It's more than just that. What mattes to a recruit differs drastically. It can, and often is, about schools, facilities, who the coach is, if they like the teammates, if they like the area that the college is in, and a bunch of other factors beyond what our record was last year.

Nebraska is a better comparison and even then we're generally able to pull in better talent because of our school and facilities. Without some luck, Michigan isn't going to get a top 5 class this year, but we're certainly not as bad off as you think we are and our name, facilities and school still hold a lot of weight in the CFB world. We're no where near as bad off as Washington is and I think we're in a much better position than Nebraska is. And I think you'll see that we continue to average 4 year spans well ahead of either of those teams in the recruiting rankings during the Harbaugh regime.

And no, these rankings are not the difference between just 1 four star kid. Like I said, the average star rankings of the classes are generally pretty drastic

2015 - we were ranked almost 20 spots behind Nebraska but pulled in one more four star recruit than them
2014 - Despite only being ranked 1 above them, we had a five star and two four stars above them
2013 - We were ranked 12 above them and had 11 more four stars and a five star
2012 - We had two five stars and 4 four stars more than them
2011 - Nebraska had 5 more four stars than Michigan
2010 - Nebraska had 2 more four stars than Michigan
2009 - Michigan had 1 five star and 8 four stars more than Neb
2008 - Nebraska had 1 five star more that UM but UM had 15 more four stars than Nebraska

And that's just in one of the worst stretches in our history. It's dramatically different in the talent being brought in -- even in our two worst ranked classes ever we beat them in four and five star talent. And even this class looks like it's going to be a similar difference unless Nebraska finishes super strong.

So no, our name is not as tarnished as Washington and we do have an easier time recruiting than Nebraska. And it's not unreasonable for me to expect more than what we're seeing currently.
I'm pretty sure that trying to prove that you're better than Washington pretty much says you suck.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they do. We're talking about B1G recruiting rankings (hence the title of the thread). Which B1G team has a higher class ranking?

I was referring to #1 recruiting class overall (24/7 Sports) not just the B1G, but split hairs any way you want to, Across The Field.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure that trying to prove that you're better than Washington pretty much says you suck.

So if someone accuses Penn State of being equivalent to Pitt and you defend that idiocy-- that means that Penn State really is like Pitt? So the options are either just accept the comparison and PSU be like Pitt or fight the comparison and PSU be like Pitt?

Michigan is leaps and bounds better than Washington in pretty much every single way....so the comparison was idiotic to begin with. If I had made a similar comparison, I would have been torn up by half the posters on here because of how terrible and ludicrous it was.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to #1 recruiting class overall (24/7 Sports) not just the B1G, but split hairs any way you want to, Across The Field.
Do you know what "splitting hairs" means?

This is a thread about B1G recruiting, and Ohio State has the #1 class in the B1G. It isn't hard to understand...

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if someone accuses Penn State of being equivalent to Pitt and you defend that idiocy-- that means that Penn State really is like Pitt? So the options are either just accept the comparison and PSU be like Pitt or fight the comparison and PSU be like Pitt?

Michigan is leaps and bounds better than Washington in pretty much every single way....so the comparison was idiotic to begin with. If I had made a similar comparison, I would have been torn up by half the posters on here because of how terrible and ludicrous it was.
Defend it? All I could do is laugh at it. I wouldn't have to do an internet investigation to gather facts and do a dissertation on it.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defend it? All I could do is laugh at it. I wouldn't have to do an internet investigation to gather facts and do a dissertation on it.

Well, I come on here to debate and talk CFB. Not to just laugh at posts. I mean, laughing at posts comes with the territory -- but I laugh and then post why they're wrong. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong. In this case, they're entirely wrong.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are they leading the way with? No need to lie, girl. If you're gonna say something, at least have something to back it up with. If you can't handle being called on your word, then I can't help you.

Here's what I was referring to from 24/7 Sports:

"The last week has seen Michigan and head coach Jim Harbaugh pull in six commitments from four different states." See more at: Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Big week for Big Ten commits

"Ohio State and Penn State raced out to impressive classes in 2016 and held the top two spots in the conference rankings until just recently. Ohio State remains the No. 1 Big Ten class, and No. 3 overall, while Penn State has been passed by Michigan State and Michigan, but still sits with a Top 15 ranked class nationally."

Please forgive me for not paying due deference to Ohio State. My interest is in NATIONAL recruiting.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"The last week has seen Michigan and head coach Jim Harbaugh pull in six commitments from four different states." See more at: Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Big week for Big Ten commits

"Ohio State and Penn State raced out to impressive classes in 2016 and held the top two spots in the conference rankings until just recently. Ohio State remains the No. 1 Big Ten class, and No. 3 overall, while Penn State has been passed by Michigan State and Michigan, but still sits with a Top 15 ranked class nationally."

Please forgive me for not paying due deference to Ohio State. My interest is in NATIONAL recruiting.
Still failing to show anyone where the "pundits said michigan is leading the way", I see.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I come on here to debate and talk CFB. Not to just laugh at posts. I mean, laughing at posts comes with the territory -- but I laugh and then post why they're wrong. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong. In this case, they're entirely wrong.

LOL
:nono:

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as what you are in the eyes of the average 17/18 year old, you might as well be Nebraska or Washington. You have a lot of ground to make up in order to get back to where you once were. I'm not saying you are exactly the same as Washington and Nebraska, it was simply a comparison to two other teams who were once great but have fallen off dramatically, like michigan has.

Right now, if you expect you just have high 4* and 5* kids flocking to your program, you're going to be extremely disappointed.

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure (and maybe you aren't, given your knee-jerk reaction). Jim Harbaugh's name resonates with a lot of 17/18-year-olds. I don't see a lot of 5-star players in Ohio State's 2016 recruiting class.
Also, let me remind you: Cardale Jones was a 3-star recruit. He looks pretty good now, doesn't he?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please, tell me more about how Michigan and Washington are pretty much the same thing despite being nothing alike....:crazy:
I don't recall saying they are pretty much the same thing. I said their situations are similar in that they were once great and are now not.

In fact, based on the last couple of years, you only wish you were as good as Washington.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I wouldn't be so sure (and maybe you aren't, given your knee-jerk reaction). Jim Harbaugh's name resonates with a lot of 17/18-year-olds. I don't see a lot of 5-star players in Ohio State's 2016 recruiting class.
Also, let me remind you: Cardale Jones was a 3-star recruit. He looks pretty good now, doesn't he?
Harbaugh's name resonates, but not like Urban Meyer or Nick Saban. Not even remotely close. But tell yourself whatever you need to.

Also, what does your last comment have to do with this? Did you think you were making a point with me or something? I think you need to direct that sort of stuff to your fellow comrade @MAIZEandBLUE09. He's the one obsessed with recruiting stars.

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Please explain how Ohio State can be #1 in the B1G and UM be #1 nationally.

This should be good.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't recall saying they are pretty much the same thing. I said their situations are similar in that they were once great and are now not.

In fact, based on the last couple of years, you only wish you were as good as Washington.

Except their recruiting situations, like the teams, are nothing alike. And for obvious reasons
(Washington left - Michigan right)

aD8piQb.png

Winning 1 national title in your history does not somehow magically make you connected to Michigan or in a similar situation.

I don't want to spend the time looking it up, but I'm willing to wager that Washington isn't even remotely close to Michigan in terms of recruiting over the last 15 years.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know what "splitting hairs" means?

This is a thread about B1G recruiting, and Ohio State has the #1 class in the B1G. It isn't hard to understand...

Unless you're an Ohio State fan. . . .

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
National titles in the last 50 years:

Michigan - 1
Washington - 1

Ha, ok -- except that is Washington's only national title either way. Any team who ever won a national title is not similar to Michigan somehow. Colorado won a national title as well, that doesn't mean the teams are even remotely similar.