• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G Recruiting for 2016 Gets Serious

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is the problem, MI cant. The B1G schools need to get a majority of their talent from the area and then fill in with some from SEC/P12.

Ellupo, I think we're seeing a paradigm shift in B1G recruiting.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"6 commits from 4 different states." It's like you think no one else pays any attention to recruiting.

3 of the 6 didn't even have profiles on recruiting service websites.

Which site has Bredeson as a 5 star? 247 composite has him as a 4.

8th right this instant is based on volume, not quality. 17 commits currently. The teams passed and right behind have 11, 10, 13, 14 and 10.

Not surprised this is coming from a fan of a team that usually declares the Heisman race over in September.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The recruiting period is not over, Oney. Let's see where each team ends up--there's a lot of time left for more commitments as well as decommitments. But, you do seem a little worried.

Why would he seem worried? Michigan has more verbals and still sits behind them by 5 spots in the rankings. Michigan is basically Kentucky from a couple years ago. Michigan has what 10 more spots to fill, if they do that at their current average star ranking Michigan might not even finish in the top 20.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellupo, I think we're seeing a paradigm shift in B1G recruiting.
It would be nice if that is true. I think the coaches, Meyer, Harbs and Franklin are helping that.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're making an unwarranted assumption. Just because he attended a satellite camp doesn't mean that was the purpose of the camp or that he committed to Michigan BECAUSE he attended.
How stupid do you have to be to really think these camps arent for recruiting and exposure. What the hell else are they for? Dont give me some bullshit about helping kids out

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How stupid do you have to be to really think these camps arent for recruiting and exposure. What the hell else are they for? Dont give me some bullshit about helping kids out
It's about getting half naked with young, underage, teenage boys. Harbaugh = new Sandusky.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The recruiting period is not over, Oney. Let's see where each team ends up--there's a lot of time left for more commitments as well as decommitments. But, you do seem a little worried.
No, it isn't, but you stated michigan was "leading the way". His point was you guys aren't leading the way for anything. No need to get uppity, he was right. Also, it is apparent you have no idea what the term "worried" means.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And my point wasn't talking about who has recruited better, it's about program image in terms of how they're interpreted by the general population. The difference between the 15th best class and 27th class is usually a 4* recruit or two, it's not a massive difference. My point mostly was that you can't expect these young kids to have such reverence for michigan when for the majority of their football-playing lives, michigan has been irrelevant.

I don't think that plays into it as much as you think it does. You compared us to Washington -- which hasn't even had an 8 win season since 1991. Yes, I agree -- if we're irrelevant for 25 years we might have a problem. But so far, we're only on like year 8 and in the middle of that we won a BCS bowl; crappy matchup as it may have been.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just stop w/ this damn nonsense. If meeeechegan is sooooooo good @ recruiting it sure hasn't shown over the last several years. Maybe your Boyz should have never fired Carr? Because he was a helluva lot better HC than the previous 2 coaches before Crazy Jimbo returned to ann arbor.
Jesus man. You're so ridiculous that you can't even handle me criticizing my own team. What's wrong with you?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that plays into it as much as you think it does. You compared us to Washington -- which hasn't even had an 8 win season since 1991. Yes, I agree -- if we're irrelevant for 25 years we might have a problem. But so far, we're only on like year 8 and in the middle of that we won a BCS bowl; crappy matchup as it may have been.
And the bullshit starts right out of the gates. Washington has won 8+ games 7 times since 1991, including the last two seasons.

Secondly, you're on year 8, which means you haven't been relevant on the national landscape since these kids were like 9/10 years old.

Winning a BCS game is also irrelevant when most people our age can't even remember it happened. Despite the "BCS" label, there were some really, really forgettable BCS games (remember when they actually paired up Oklahoma and UConn?).

Lastly, and most troublesome, these high-4* and 5* kids you think michigan should be able to get are also getting offers from the powerhouses of the nation that right now, michigan simply can't stack up to. Unless a kid is looking for early playing time, or grew up a michigan fan, or is interested in an academic program michigan has that is better than the others, you guys just don't have it yet. Now, in 2-3 years, if Harbaugh shows success and and interest in staying long-term, then I have no doubt you'll be back up there again. But you're nowhere near that right now.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"6 commits from 4 different states." It's like you think no one else pays any attention to recruiting.

3 of the 6 didn't even have profiles on recruiting service websites.

Which site has Bredeson as a 5 star? 247 composite has him as a 4.

8th right this instant is based on volume, not quality. 17 commits currently. The teams passed and right behind have 11, 10, 13, 14 and 10.

Not surprised this is coming from a fan of a team that usually declares the Heisman race over in September.

Not surprised THIS is coming from the fan of a team that can't manage to say anything positive about Michigan. You sound a little worried that Michigan might be starting to thrive with HC Jim Harbaugh. It's OK, Cwerph, you don't need to quibble about the number of stars an athlete like Bredeson has. Jim Harbaugh has a reputation for developing the athletes he recruits into excellent players--kind of like 3-star QB Cardale Jones.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the bullshit starts right out of the gates. Washington has won 8+ games 7 times since 1991, including the last two seasons.

Secondly, you're on year 8, which means you haven't been relevant on the national landscape since these kids were like 9/10 years old.

Winning a BCS game is also irrelevant when most people our age can't even remember it happened. Despite the "BCS" label, there were some really, really forgettable BCS games (remember when they actually paired up Oklahoma and UConn?).

Lastly, and most troublesome, these high-4* and 5* kids you think michigan should be able to get are also getting offers from the powerhouses of the nation that right now, michigan simply can't stack up to. Unless a kid is looking for early playing time, or grew up a michigan fan, or is interested in an academic program michigan has that is better than the others, you guys just don't have it yet. Now, in 2-3 years, if Harbaugh shows success and and interest in staying long-term, then I have no doubt you'll be back up there again. But you're nowhere near that right now.
Oops, sorry. Looking at the wiki page it lists conference wins first (where as Michigan's wiki lists total wins first):
List of Washington Huskies football seasons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But even so, Washington hasn't seen the same success in the 2000's that Michigan has seen. Since 2000 Washington has 87 wins to Michigan's 119. We had 3 losing seasons, they had 7. Washington doesn't have nearly the history of winning that Michigan does. Currently winning has little to do with recruiting. Sure, it matters if you are one of the top, top teams in CFB but for the rest of the landscape, it has less of an impact. Hoke and RR were both able recruit well despite Michigan having recent losing seasons. It's more than just that. What mattes to a recruit differs drastically. It can, and often is, about schools, facilities, who the coach is, if they like the teammates, if they like the area that the college is in, and a bunch of other factors beyond what our record was last year.

Nebraska is a better comparison and even then we're generally able to pull in better talent because of our school and facilities. Without some luck, Michigan isn't going to get a top 5 class this year, but we're certainly not as bad off as you think we are and our name, facilities and school still hold a lot of weight in the CFB world. We're no where near as bad off as Washington is and I think we're in a much better position than Nebraska is. And I think you'll see that we continue to average 4 year spans well ahead of either of those teams in the recruiting rankings during the Harbaugh regime.

And no, these rankings are not the difference between just 1 four star kid. Like I said, the average star rankings of the classes are generally pretty drastic

2015 - we were ranked almost 20 spots behind Nebraska but pulled in one more four star recruit than them
2014 - Despite only being ranked 1 above them, we had a five star and two four stars above them
2013 - We were ranked 12 above them and had 11 more four stars and a five star
2012 - We had two five stars and 4 four stars more than them
2011 - Nebraska had 5 more four stars than Michigan
2010 - Nebraska had 2 more four stars than Michigan
2009 - Michigan had 1 five star and 8 four stars more than Neb
2008 - Nebraska had 1 five star more that UM but UM had 15 more four stars than Nebraska

And that's just in one of the worst stretches in our history. It's dramatically different in the talent being brought in -- even in our two worst ranked classes ever we beat them in four and five star talent. And even this class looks like it's going to be a similar difference unless Nebraska finishes super strong.

So no, our name is not as tarnished as Washington and we do have an easier time recruiting than Nebraska. And it's not unreasonable for me to expect more than what we're seeing currently.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it isn't, but you stated michigan was "leading the way". His point was you guys aren't leading the way for anything. No need to get uppity, he was right. Also, it is apparent you have no idea what the term "worried" means.

Sports pundits are reporting that "Michigan is leading the way" this week with the commitments of six players recently. So, get over yourself.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Yeah lets see this play out. OSU is still number 1 i dont see a "shift"

Hey, Sgt Brutus, newsflash: Ohio State does not have the current #1 recruiting class. And, the "shift" I was referring to was from the one Ellupo described in his post. Worried much?

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're the one spewing "bullsh*t."

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports pundits are reporting that "Michigan is leading the way" this week with the commitments of six players recently. So, get over yourself.
What are they leading the way with? No need to lie, girl. If you're gonna say something, at least have something to back it up with. If you can't handle being called on your word, then I can't help you.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, Sgt Brutus, newsflash: Ohio State does not have the current #1 recruiting class. And, the "shift" I was referring to was from the one Ellupo described in his post. Worried much?
Yes they do. We're talking about B1G recruiting rankings (hence the title of the thread). Which B1G team has a higher class ranking?

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice if that is true. I think the coaches, Meyer, Harbs and Franklin are helping that.

I agree, Ellupo. It's good to see that new doors are opening to the B1G. That helps us all--the B1G will be stronger for it. What will keep those southern boys down on the farm when they see the other choices available to them?