• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B12 expansion

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing about the LHN is, when Texas starts winning again the interest will go up.

not sure how that will impact the monies, but interest will skyrocket, if 2005-9 are any indication.

Very true, but the number that ESPN has to recoup is now at $330,000,000 and there is only 15 years left. So, the LHN has to make approximately $330,000,000 + (15 years * 16 million(LHN payout)) = $510,000,000 in 15 years.

That is $34,000,000 per year. The LHN has not made that yet in any year of existence of the contract. Current estimates of LHN subscriber fees are $26,000,000 per year. And as our friend Lance Armstrong points out, cord cutting..... Throw in the latest ESPN cost cutting measures.....

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas would still make more money than all but 4 schools without any conference money at all.
They would drop to only #5 in revenues.

Texas makes so much money elsewhere.
It is a TEXAS thing I guess. A&M now laps the field badly in the SEC as well.

Texas can handle ups and downs in conference money easily. It is not that big of a deal.
But, It does matter if Boren is demanding ridiculous things that not even Texas can swallow.

If you are asking Texas to take a 20 million dollar paycut instead of a 10 million dollar raise elsewhere.

That is a lot to ask (-30 million net), simply for the pleasure of playing Cincinnati.

fuck that nonsense.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO the Big 12 either needs to fold or stand pat because any options to add teams in the current tv/viewship/$$$ mentality environment just don't add up.

The only other two schools (not currently 100% tied to another P5) that have the ability to bring a broad enough viewership demand to offset the current dynamics at work are Notre Dame and BYU. Can't see those happening.

While schools might like to have UT and OU on the schedule, none are just dying to visit Lubbock, Stillwater, Ames, Waco, lil Manhattan, etal.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had Mizzou not accepted the SEC offer WVU is in the SEC, simple as that.

The ACC will have no choice but take WVU once the domino's start rolling. Christ you clowns let Louisville in, yet you think there's no chance WVU gets in?

Get real turkey.

Ok country boy. If you think so!

As you know, the ACC (like most of these conferences) look at far more than athletics when considering expanding. Footprint/TV revenue, academics, cultural fit, etc. These things aren't the end all be all, but they do matter.

Not saying there is no chance, but WVU will not be at the top of the list. Frankly, they would be at the bottom. I'm not hatin' or trolling. I personally would love to be back in conference with you mother-fuckers. Just don't think the ACC wants you, probably because of all of the reasons I just stated above. Cultural/academic reasons and lack of TV market = no $$$.

If (BIG IF) the Big 12 ever implodes and we all move to 16 teams. I could actually see a scenario where WVU gets left out. The other 4 conferences have 10 spots total for everyone to get to 16. Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, OK St. and Kansas are in somewhere. That leaves WVU, Baylor, Iowa State, K State, TCU, Texas Tech, Houston, UCONN, Boise St., BYU, Navy, maybe a few others to beg for one of the other 5 spots.

ACC
Adds Notre Dame and UCONN or Navy (YES NAVY..it has been talked about)

B1G
Adds Texas and Kansas (both AAU schools)

SEC
Adds Oklahoma and Oklahoma State (why the hell wouldn't they ... it makes sense).

PAC 12
Adds BYU (Utah rival), TCU (TV market), Houston (TV Market) and another one, probably Boise or one of the other Texas schools.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas would still make more money than all but 4 schools without any conference money at all.
They would drop to only #5 in revenues.

Texas makes so much money elsewhere.
It is a TEXAS thing I guess. A&M now laps the field badly in the SEC as well.

Texas can handle ups and downs in conference money easily. It is not that big of a deal.
But, It does matter if Boren is demanding ridiculous things that not even Texas can swallow.

If you are asking Texas to take a 20 million dollar paycut instead of a 10 million dollar raise elsewhere.

That is a lot to ask (-30 million net), simply for the pleasure of playing Cincinnati.

fuck that nonsense.
Yeah that's why your last AD was axed when people got pissed he kept raising and creating fees but wouldn't upgrade facilities of non-football sports.

There is something fishy in the money claims of Texas.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As you know, the ACC (like most of these conferences) look at far more than athletics when considering expanding. Footprint/TV revenue, academics, cultural fit, etc. These things aren't the end all be all, but they do matter.

Not saying there is no chance, but WVU will not be at the top of the list. Frankly, they would be at the bottom. I'm not hatin' or trolling. I personally would love to be back in conference with you mother-fuckers. Just don't think the ACC wants you, probably because of all of the reasons I just stated above. Cultural/academic reasons and lack of TV market = no $$$.

If (BIG IF) the Big 12 ever implodes and we all move to 16 teams. I could actually see a scenario where WVU gets left out. The other 4 conferences have 10 spots total for everyone to get to 16. Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, OK St. and Kansas are in somewhere. That leaves WVU, Baylor, Iowa State, K State, TCU, Texas Tech, Houston, UCONN, Boise St., BYU, Navy, maybe a few others to beg for one of the other 5 spots.

ACC

B1G

SEC
Adds Oklahoma and Oklahoma State (why the hell wouldn't they ... it makes sense).

PAC 12
Adds BYU (Utah rival), TCU (TV market), Houston (TV Market) and another one, probably Boise or one of the other Texas schools.
Adding OU and OSU makes zero sense.

The SEC would pass if they had to take both.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ACC

B1G

SEC

PAC 12

You are on some sort of drugs if you think Navy, Boise St, Houston or BYU would get taken before WVU.
Sure anythings possible and I understand WVU certainly could get left out but it won't be at the hands of those teams.

There would need to be a very certain way of realignment for WVU to get left out. Sure the ACC doesn't just take a school for athletics (sans Louisville per FSU request). But WVU will get a look, especially if you guys lose schools to the SEC and the B10. We are a geographical fit that has decent athletics and working on subpar academics.

Can't wait to play you turkeys in 2017!

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is something fishy in the money claims of Texas

It is all public record. It is a non-profit public entity and has to make it financial available within reason.
Any member of the public can review the simplified financials during posted business hours upon official request.

Technically, the University can stonewall anything that is under Audit to offset a public request.
And some universities keep 3 years worth under lid of Audit (similar to Donald Trump) if there is a reason.
Often they do that if some local yokel reporter is trying to dig up some improper use of funds crap.

But, overall public universities are mostly transparent....not 100%, but close enough.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope Mizzu is in Missouri and Kansas is in the state of Kansas so two different markets. It's not the eyeballs on the screen it's what you can charge for the network and that is usually 1.50 to 2 dollars per set in the states where you have teams.

Probably won't have that many more watching the games but will reap millions in additional revenue.

Kansas basketball has national appeal. Getting them in a conference network would pay more dividends than just the population of Kansas alone.
The Big 10 took Nebraska over Missouri for national appeal. Though Missouri has a larger population base.

A grave misjudgement by tejas when they were making their empty threats about joining the PAC. They thought everyone depended on tejas and would capitulate to them. They've been mistaken on 4 counts now.
Oklahoma and Kansas both fit the mold of teams that aren't in highly populated states, yet have large national appeal.

I get SEC, PAC, and Big 10 networks. I rarely see anything Big 12 anymore now that Nebraska left. Fox Sports Midwest carries some of their stuff once in a while, but it's rare. It used to have Big 12 sports on all the time.

There are only two Big 12 team left in the Fox Sports Midwest footprint.

"FOX Sports Midwest is a regional television network that is the leading provider of local sports in Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana and Iowa."

That would be Kansas and Iowa State.

When the Big 12 finally completely implodes, Kansas at the minimum will be joining the Big 12. It may happen sooner than that.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is all public record. It is a non-profit public entity and has to make it financial available within reason.
Any member of the public can review the simplified financials during posted business hours upon official request.

Technically, the University can stonewall anything that is under Audit to offset a public request.
And some universities keep 3 years worth under lid of Audit (similar to Donald Trump) if there is a reason.
Often they do that if some local yokel reporter is trying to dig up some improper use of funds crap.

But, overall public universities are mostly transparent....not 100%, but close enough.
Dude I'm extremely familiar with financials and I'm also well aware of what can be reported on the income side and the balance sheet side, not to mention the recording of bevreavement gifts. There are so many games that can be played but still qualify under audit.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I'm not sure, but every other Nebraska poster on here should be able to tell you. Nobody keeps up with UT stuff like the husker fans on these boards.

Most comedies are popular.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are on some sort of drugs if you think Navy, Boise St, Houston or BYU would get taken before WVU.
Sure anythings possible and I understand WVU certainly could get left out but it won't be at the hands of those teams.

There would need to be a very certain way of realignment for WVU to get left out. Sure the ACC doesn't just take a school for athletics (sans Louisville per FSU request). But WVU will get a look, especially if you guys lose schools to the SEC and the B10. We are a geographical fit that has decent athletics and working on subpar academics.

Can't wait to play you turkeys in 2017!

I am just talking "what ifs". But let's just pretend Texas and/or Oklahoma decide to part ways with the B12...

I think the ACC will eventually end up with UCONN because of the basketball program, academics, and natural rivalries with 'Cuse and BC. Yes, Navy has been rumored more for the ND connection. Short of the ACC getting poached, which is possible, or another school getting sent packing (Wake, which is unlikely) ACC for WVU ain't happening.

And yes, I believe the PAC conference would take Houston, BYU or TCU over WVU. I think they would take Boise over WVU, only because of the footprint.

I am telling you, better hope the SEC comes calling if the Big 12 blows up...

Can't wait for '17. I'll be there!

Last edited:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Perhaps, But for a package deal to get OU, maybe not. They could certainly do much worse than Ok St. for its final member. Both of these schools are in very close proximity to the Western Division teams.

Or they could go after someone else other than OK State. Say NCST, UNC, Clemson, or Um.. The team I pull for :suds:

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas and Oklahoma both joining the B1G West division looks awesome.

I know it was already looked at earlier in this thread.... but examining it more, it looks even better when you look at the 3 cross-over games, if a 10 game conference schedule (5 home & 5 away) were to be played.
You see, the B1G favors cross-over games to be played mainly against comparable opponents.

So, with a 10 game B1G conference schedule, every season Oklahoma and Texas would most likely play 2 of the following 4 teams in cross-over contests: Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan State, with only one annual cross-over from the lower competition of the following group each year: Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, and Purdue.

:drool:

B1G - new members in BOLD CAPS

WEST
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
OKLAHOMA
TEXAS

Wisconsin

EAST
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Rutgers

Wowser.... this would be outstanding.... and would probably generate a lot of money.

:cloud9:

Last edited:

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Depends on how bad they want ou. No offense to Texas but the sooners are the biggest fish when the Big 12 implodes. They don't have the population but the brand is much bigger nationally. Plus there isn't nearly the baggage that comes with Texas.

With OKST it's not a given they will both end up together when it goes down but due to state politics both will find a comfortable landing spot. If it looks good for the PAC or ACC for us, I could see ou jumping. If not and they play hardball and say our Cowboy governor says it's both or none, it could happen.

I hate the little brother thing, but in this situation I don't mind.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas basketball has national appeal. Getting them in a conference network would pay more dividends than just the population of Kansas alone.
The Big 10 took Nebraska over Missouri for national appeal. Though Missouri has a larger population base.

A grave misjudgement by tejas when they were making their empty threats about joining the PAC. They thought everyone depended on tejas and would capitulate to them. They've been mistaken on 4 counts now.
Oklahoma and Kansas both fit the mold of teams that aren't in highly populated states, yet have large national appeal.

I get SEC, PAC, and Big 10 networks. I rarely see anything Big 12 anymore now that Nebraska left. Fox Sports Midwest carries some of their stuff once in a while, but it's rare. It used to have Big 12 sports on all the time.

There are only two Big 12 team left in the Fox Sports Midwest footprint.

"FOX Sports Midwest is a regional television network that is the leading provider of local sports in Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana and Iowa."

When the Big 12 finally completely implodes, Kansas at the minimum will be joining the Big 12. It may happen sooner than that.

well, depends on your point of view.

Texas, it was/is known, can go just about anywhere (for whatever reasons) and it was appearing that they just might do so...in that case, some teams decided it was better to go ahead and leave first.

It all depends on how you look at it, and the reality is that both sides are right in ways. Nebraska didn't like being in a conference with Texas, and they also did not want to be left in one if Texas jumped ship.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You want Iowa State too?

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some rather interesting ideas in this article, and it is closer to the way I believe CFB is heading: People are not going to want to pay big bucks to watch a top tier power play patsy after patsy, but rather are going to want to see a top tier vs top tier game every week.

It's what people want and will pay for, not beating up on the sisters of the poor every week.

National writer: Could local schools like Tech, Baylor and TCU be casualties of college football's next big realignment? | SportsDay

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WEST
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
OKLAHOMA
TEXAS

Wisconsin
IMHO, that doesn't look any better than what they play right now. TCU, Baylor, Okie Lite, Tech and K-State are better games than most of those you listed. Again, JMO.