• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B12 expansion

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well....

....Memphis does make the best style of BBQ ribs... dry-rubbed and smoked:

M6_final.jpg

So.... if they're gonna bring those yummy ribs plus all that Fed Ex money, I say let em' in the Big XII. Besides... it's about time the Big XII moves into SEC geographic territory!

And while yer at it, go to 14 members by also bringing in Boise State, BYU, and Colorado State.

Big XIV (new members in BOLD CAPS)

WEST
BOISE STATE
BYU
COLORADO STATE

Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech

EAST
Baylor
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
MEMPHIS
TCU
West Virginia

The above alignment features the very important concept of having two Texas teams in each division, which is most likely what the other member schools would desire.

Don't worry about Cincinnati, as they'll possibly/eventually be joining the ACC as an expansion partner for Notre Dame in the future.

Also don't worry about UConn, as they'll also possibly/eventually be joining the ACC along with Temple in several years because the B1G will possibly/eventually poach North Carolina and Georgia Tech, and the SEC will possibly/eventually poach NC State and Virginia Tech in the future.

And don't worry about Houston, as they will possibly/eventually become the Texas presence for the PAC, and will perhaps come into the PAC with an expansion partner such as San Diego State or UNLV.

So.... go get it done Big XII.

:thumb:

Last edited:

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, that makes sense. But what if staying right where the conference is now would increase the chances of it breaking up in the future? Would that be a factor to consider?

When the GOR's are up, I honestly believe the ACC will be in far greater danger than the big 12. The ACC makes the least amount of money, and that's with them already giving their tier 3 rights to ESPN. That means that have no way of making another dime, and even if ESPN launched an ACC network the schools wouldn't see a penny. Another reason I think the ACC is in trouble is because the SEC and Big ten can raise their network paychecks by putting teams in Virginia and North Carolina. It just seems if they're chasing the $$$ the ACC schools in those states will get pouched. The failure of the pac 12 network doesn't make that conference as appealing as it once was, I just don't see a reason for the big 12 to make a move right now.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't see any positives for Texas. But you guys are in the cat bird's seat. You're richer than Midas, you have the pick of the litter in recruiting and your football program is strong in spite of being mismanaged. Plus, the rest of your sports are strong and your academic standing is already very good. The rest of us are at various levels below your status except for Oklahoma which can match you and probably even exceeds Texas overall with our football program.....but we are behind you in many other categories. The trick is to see the problems we all face through the eyes of each school, both short term and long term. I think the little guys need to see things from Texas' perspective as much as you need to see things from other schools' perspective.

So talk money. Its one thing if you expect a Big 12 network to pay out 10-15 million per school, but that seems really unlikely. IF I am correct about that viability of a Big 12 network the additional money will not be very much. I think most of this is coming from Polyanna thinking of the network. ESPN pays 15 million for LHN. For that they get to charge 26.5 million Texans a bit extra. What would you pay to move that number from 26.5 million Texans to the 38.1 million people residing in Big 12 states? People need to realize the Big 12 has teh smallest population footprint and 70% of the Big 12 footprint resides in 1 state.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the GOR's are up, I honestly believe the ACC will be in far greater danger than the big 12. The ACC makes the least amount of money, and that's with them already giving their tier 3 rights to ESPN. That means that have no way of making another dime, and even if ESPN launched an ACC network the schools wouldn't see a penny. Another reason I think the ACC is in trouble is because the SEC and Big ten can raise their network paychecks by putting teams in Virginia and North Carolina. It just seems if they're chasing the $$$ the ACC schools in those states will get pouched. The failure of the pac 12 network doesn't make that conference as appealing as it once was, I just don't see a reason for the big 12 to make a move right now.

I think a lot of OU fans would back you up if that was a valid possibility. Getting to poach teams like Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Louisville, North Carolina, etc. would be sweet.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well....

....Memphis does make the best style of BBQ ribs... dry-rubbed and smoked:

View attachment 116782

So.... if they're gonna bring those yummy ribs plus all that Fed Ex money, I say let em' in the Big XII. Besides... it's about time the Big XII moves into SEC geographic territory!

And while yer at it, go to 14 members by also bringing in Boise State, BYU, and Colorado State.

Big XIV (new members in BOLD CAPS)

WEST
BOISE STATE
BYU
COLORADO STATE

Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech

EAST
Baylor
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
MEMPHIS
TCU
West Virginia

The above alignment features the very important concept of having two Texas teams in each division, which is most likely what the other member schools would desire.

Don't worry about Cincinnati, as they'll possibly/eventually be joining the ACC as an expansion partner for Notre Dame in the future.

Also don't worry about UConn, as they'll also possibly/eventually be joining the ACC along with Temple in several years because the B1G will possibly/eventually poach North Carolina and Georgia Tech, and the SEC will possibly/eventually poach NC State and Virginia Tech in the future.

And don't worry about Houston, as they will possibly/eventually become the Texas presence for the PAC, and will perhaps come into the PAC with an expansion partner such as San Diego State or UNLV.

So.... go get it done Big XII.

:thumb:

i am sure Baylor and TCU are going to be overjoyed at the idea of replacing their yearly game with OU and TExas with Memphis. That is a program killer

Reactions: Eco

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll take Clemson, FSU, and GT

You guys get A&M, Mizzou, and Arkansas, and then we'll leave the UNC, Duke and rest of the coastal teams what used to be called the Big East.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So talk money. Its one thing if you expect a Big 12 network to pay out 10-15 million per school, but that seems really unlikely. IF I am correct about that viability of a Big 12 network the additional money will not be very much. I think most of this is coming from Polyanna thinking of the network. ESPN pays 15 million for LHN. For that they get to charge 26.5 million Texans a bit extra. What would you pay to move that number from 26.5 million Texans to the 38.1 million people residing in Big 12 states? People need to realize the Big 12 has teh smallest population footprint and 70% of the Big 12 footprint resides in 1 state.

I think money is a prime consideration for all the schools. But academics and stability are big factors too. Focusing just on the short term finances may not tell us what the final result will be.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think money is a prime consideration for all the schools. But academics and stability are big factors too. Focusing just on the short term finances may not tell us what the final result will be.

You have to give me something tangible to discuss. The only thing that is making the Big 12 unstable at the moment is its members talking to the media.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of OU fans would back you up if that was a valid possibility. Getting to poach teams like Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Louisville, North Carolina, etc. would be sweet.

To me, that's the end game. Let the SEC and Big ten poach the schools in Virginia and North Carolina, let the Big 12 come in and grab 6 schools (Clemson, Ga tech, FSU, Miami, Duke, pitt or cuse). The only loser in this situation is the Pac, who has to grab 4 MWC schools to keep up.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to give me something tangible to discuss. The only thing that is making the Big 12 unstable at the moment is its members talking to the media.

Talking to the media isn't causation, it's reaction. People are nervous and greedy. A lot of people want to see changes made. Everyone has their own axe to grind. The only school definitely in love with the status quo is Texas (on the rich end) and schools like Iowa State and Kansas State which have no other good options. Everyone else has their own opinion what changes would be best for the conference (when the truth is the changes they each want are what is good for their own school). And money isn't always the only reason driving each school's selfish motives. That's what I was saying.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talking to the media isn't causation, it's reaction. People are nervous and greedy. A lot of people want to see changes made. Everyone has their own axe to grind. The only school definitely in love with the status quo is Texas (on the rich end) and schools like Iowa State and Kansas State which have no other good options. Everyone else has their own opinion what changes would be best for the conference (when the truth is the changes they each want are what is good for their own school). And money isn't always the only reason driving each school's selfish motives. That's what I was saying.

I am simply saying that perception is created. You can not fix the perception of stability by talking to the media about it. It is self-fulfilling

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
inb4 a Michigan fan compares Harbaugh to Saban.
You probably could say that about every thread on here and it would apply.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, that's the end game. Let the SEC and Big ten poach the schools in Virginia and North Carolina, let the Big 12 come in and grab 6 schools (Clemson, Ga tech, FSU, Miami, Duke, pitt or cuse). The only loser in this situation is the Pac, who has to grab 4 MWC schools to keep up.

If the ACC gets dismantled in that fashion, which would leave 4 1/2 former ACC member schools without a home (Boston College, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Louisville, and Notre Dame).... I believe the PAC would possibly be just fine as it would probably eventually grab Notre Dame plus a travel partner in Louisville. Then throw-in Houston plus Boise State and you have an East-West divided PAC 16 looking something like this:

WEST
BOISE STATE
Cal
Stanford
Oregon
Oregon State
UCLA
Washington
Washington State

EAST
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
HOUSTON
LOUISVILLE
NOTRE DAME

USC
Utah

The PAC would be very happy with Notre Dame as a member, plus the PAC would also be happy with a presence in Texas because of Houston.

Notre Dame would be happy with a travel partner in Louisville, plus a viable Texas recruiting pipeline for the Irish with an annual divisional game against Houston. Plus, Notre Dame could close every regular season with a divisional grudge game vs USC! Plus.... Notre Dame can have an annually protected divisional cross-over game vs Stanford. Plus.... Notre Dame could still play Navy every year as an OOC game! Of course, UCLA and USC would also have an annually protected divisional crossover game.

Everybody wins..... except for Boston College, Syracuse, and Wake Forest (who would probably go to the American). BYU would feel left out too.... boo-hoo for them, I guess.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 135,000.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Harbaugh would want in on this at some point, too, if for no other reason than he could hold that Camp w/Coach Briles annually

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the ACC gets dismantled in that fashion, which would leave 4 1/2 former ACC member schools without a home (Boston College, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Louisville, and Notre Dame).... I believe the PAC would possibly be just fine as it would probably eventually grab Notre Dame plus a travel partner in Louisville. Then throw-in Houston plus Boise State and you have an East-West divided PAC 16 looking something like this:

WEST
BOISE STATE
Cal
Stanford
Oregon
Oregon State
UCLA
Washington
Washington State

EAST
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
HOUSTON
LOUISVILLE
NOTRE DAME

USC
Utah

The PAC would be very happy with Notre Dame as a member, plus the PAC would also be happy with a presence in Texas because of Houston.

Notre Dame would be happy with a travel partner in Louisville, plus a viable Texas recruiting pipeline for the Irish with an annual divisional game against Houston. Plus, Notre Dame could close every regular season with a divisional grudge game vs USC! Plus.... Notre Dame can have an annually protected divisional cross-over game vs Stanford. Plus.... Notre Dame could still play Navy every year as an OOC game! Of course, UCLA and USC would also have an annually protected divisional crossover game.

Everybody wins..... except for Boston College, Syracuse, and Wake Forest (who would probably go to the American). BYU would feel left out too.... boo-hoo for them, I guess.

Man I have no clue what Notre Dame would do if we got to four 16 team conferences. I think the pac would take BYU and Colorado state, possibly UNLV if they can share a new stadium with the Oakland raiders.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget all these independents and Mountain WAC teams. I gots the perfect solution to the B12's problems:

Invite Vanderbilt.

It's a total win-win-win-win, all the way around.

They'd raise the academic profile of the league, improve the basketball RPI, bring in a great baseball program, expand the conference footprint into SEC territory, and Hammer would stop raggin on the Big Ten, probably because he'd die of shock.

Also, Vandy automatically becomes the odds-on favorite to win whatever division they would enter; they'd be stewpit NOT to take the offer.

I can imagine the stampede of teams champing at the bit to follow the Commodores into the old Southwest: Tennessee and Kentucky immediately come to mind, plus one of the Mississippi schools (likely, the one that's less gay). So the B12 gets a double dip of improving their own conference and weakening the primary geographical rival by taking their best teams.

In fact, the prestige and history of Vanderbilt is so widespread, I can envision other classy, historic, powerhouse schools like Indiana, Illinois, Wake Forest, and Georgia Tech would be tempted to jump ship to be a part of this new Super-League. Notre Dame would probably try to horn in, but too late, as the conference swells to 16, 18, 20 schools.

If I'm commissioner what's-his-name, I'm on the phone with Vandy double-quick, before some league like the ACC catches on and invites them first
You skeered.