• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B12 expansion

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone would take a pay cut if we expanded, that would drop us to dead last in revenues.
Before WVU joined, the Networks grossly overpaid us to make sure the league did not collapse.

We are currently being paid the market rate for a 12 team league already.
They are not overpaying us again.
That ship has sailed. It was a one-time thing.

Texas is not taking a massive pay cut to go play freaking UCONN or Cincinnati.
We would rather get a massive pay raise to go play Ohio State or Southern Cal.

If the Big 12 expands, you also need to find a replacement for Texas as well as the expansion school.
The Horns are 100% clear on that point.

Coda touched on a good point but also Texas, OU or anyone else wont be staying in the Big12 if we stand pat and fall behind the BIG/SEC (I'm leaving the PAC and ACC out of the equation, we are fine H2H as a conference vs them) even more so from a Big12 perspective, they cant really worry that much about what Texas wants, it has to think about life without them either way so...

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way to really make progress is for the Big 12 to sit down with ESPN. Find out what they would pay to broadcast a Big 12 network. Once you have that information, then you can negotiate folding LHN into the new network. Without that you are just posturing

The PAC makes about 1 million.
The ACC makes zero.
The Big 10 is tougher to figure out, but it is around 3 million if you back out likely tiers.
The SEC is the market leader at 5 million.

A Big 12 Network would be incredibly lucky to get 2 million.
It would be more like 500K - 1.5mm

Texas and Kansas will not stick around for that crap.
Texas probably would not stick around for a penny less than 8 million....which is pure fantasyland if the SEC cannot reach that mark.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes because those are tshirts we made :L

Don't worry buddy. That is why I linked the article where WVU blamed the NIT.

I just thought it was funny when you said WVU can spell but I remembered those NIT T Shirts.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry buddy. That is why I linked the article where WVU blamed the NIT.

I just thought it was funny when you said WVU can spell but I remembered those NIT T Shirts.

Good times indeed!

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PAC makes about 1 million.
The ACC makes zero.
The Big 10 is tougher to figure out, but it is around 3 million if you back out likely tiers.
The SEC is the market leader at 5 million.

A Big 12 Network would be incredibly lucky to get 2 million.
It would be more like 500K - 1.5mm

Texas and Kansas will not stick around for that crap.
Texas probably would not stick around for a penny less than 8 million....which is pure fantasyland if the SEC cannot reach that mark.

That has nothing to do with my post. The point is if you want to make change, go out and get the numbers. Either way it ends would be helpful for the decision makign process. That is the only way to affect change. Right now it is just bluster. I'll take this seriously, when Boren and Co take some real steps to remedying the situation/

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
biggest point I saw was "of all the remaining candidates (for expansion) just remember there's a reason they're not in P5 conferences".

Indeed, they don't bring any real (financial) benefits.

Talk about roadblocks, I think that one is insurmountable. It will take real research and discussion with ESPins and possibly the others, to see if there is a way to surmount this problem.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and all the wishing and hoping by the 'let's expand and get a network' bunch wont fix it.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU is some what of a viable candidate, but after that there really is no one.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU is some what of a viable candidate, but after that there really is no one.

BYU seems like the no brainer, big brand name, national following from the Mormon church, decent sized football stadium already, decent at basketball.

For the 2nd school I'd go Colorado state. Land grant school, great college town, the state is rapidly growing in population, and the Bufs have never really taken full control of the state as far as popularity so CSU could become "the state school"

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU seems like the no brainer, big brand name, national following from the Mormon church, decent sized football stadium already, decent at basketball.

For the 2nd school I'd go Colorado state. Land grant school, great college town, the state is rapidly growing in population, and the Bufs have never really taken full control of the state as far as popularity so CSU could become "the state school"
Those two always made the most sense to me if the Big 12 does end up adding anyone.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one mentioned the shitstorm from Oklahoma yesterday.

ESPiN had an article

OU regents chair opposes Big 12 expansion

Remember when the FSU Chairman said something a while back, and then he was canned.

FSU BOT Chairman on Big 12: 'How do you not look into that option?'

- Florida State 24/7

How long does the Oklahoma Max Weitzenhoffer have? Is his term almost up so he is just stirring the pot?

Looks like Boren and Max Weitzenhoffer released something together later on but I can't find it by googling this "University of Oklahoma press releases"

In his statement, Boren said, "I remain firmly committed to my belief that we should all work together to make the Big 12 Conference even stronger through holistic reform that allows for possible expansion and the creation of a Big 12 network."

Now, define Holistic. It means dealing with the problem physically, spiritually, and psychologically or something like that. A rather weird term to use, Holistic Reform. Talk about confusing the masses.

EDIT: Goldrusher created a separate thread

Let's all take a sec and LOL @ Oklahoma "leadership"

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NEITHER ARE EVEN VAGUELY QUALITY CANDIDATES.

I mean not even in the realm of discussion or consideration.

Let's stop the nonsense with schools that don't add ANYTHING to the conference, just pull money out of the pot.

The only realistic option is to raid an existing P5 conference.....THERE ARE NO, NO, NO other viable options.

BYU is not an option. CSU is not an option. Louisville, Cincy, etc are not options.

You guys really need to understand this.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt you're getting any other current Power 5 teams. They're leaving the Big 12, not signing up to join. Too bad. It's a hell of a conference.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oklahoma Board is now joining the TEXAS, TCU, and BAYLOR side now.
The Board at Oklahoma is breaking away from Boren and realizing the silliness of expansion as well.

That is a pretty strong coalition.....TEXAS TECH seems be leaning against expansion as well.

They just need to tell Boren to STFU and enjoy being overpaid as a league instead of trying to add UConn.
So, other than Boren (all by himself) and Oklahoma State, who exactly is pushing this dumbass agenda???

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oklahoma Board is now joining the TEXAS, TCU, and BAYLOR side now.
The Board at Oklahoma is breaking away from Boren and realizing the silliness of expansion as well.

That is a pretty strong coalition.....TEXAS TECH seems be leaning against expansion as well.

They just need to tell Boren to STFU and enjoy being overpaid as a league instead of trying to add UConn.
So, other than Boren (all by himself) and Oklahoma State, who exactly is pushing this dumbass agenda???

It's pretty much Boren by himself along with Castiglione. As for me, I have my map with I-40 highlighted all the way to the West Coast. Hope you guys drive up to Amarillo and we travel the rest of the way together.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty much Boren by himself along with Castiglione. As for me, I have my map with I-40 highlighted all the way to the West Coast. Hope you guys drive up to Amarillo and we travel the rest of the way together.

I was ALWAYS on board with the Pac 12 proposal......I'll take road trips to Cali and Arizona all day everyday.......