• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B12 expansion

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't really a fair comparison. The Pac-12 beat one another out of the playoffs. The Big12 didn't do that in 2014. They just didn't have that unambiguously deserving team. You could have made a reasonable case for TCU, Baylor, or Ohio State to take that #4 spot in 2014. You could make no reasonable case for a Pac-12 team in 2015.

But I'm sure you don't need me to point that out. I just like pointing out the obvious.
Point is, they missed the playoff having everything that everyone says the Big12 just Has to have to not miss the playoff. JMO but had Bowlsby went with the committee ranking and names TCU the champ loss to BU be damned then we get a playoff team then too.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point is, they missed the playoff having everything that everyone says the Big12 just Has to have to not miss the playoff. JMO but had Bowlsby went with the committee ranking and names TCU the champ loss to BU be damned then we get a playoff team then too.
Gotta disagree GR. After the whoopin' tOSU put on Wisky, there is now way the committee was going to leave out TCU for Ohio State. Now, if it had been Texas or Oklahoma in that position........

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point is, they missed the playoff having everything that everyone says the Big12 just Has to have to not miss the playoff.
Agree. And an exceptional point. What I find even more disheartening is that no conference knows better how badly a championship game can cheese you than the Big12. But I guess in this day of "short atention span theater" . . .
JMO but had Bowlsby went with the committee ranking and names TCU the champ loss to BU be damned then we get a playoff team then too.
Perhaps, and perhaps not. Like I said, I think you could make a compelling case for any of the three taking that last spot. And ironically (perhaps) I think that is the only reason that the conference championship game helped Ohio State - the committee needed a tie breaker. In years when no tie breaker is really needed (like this past year) a conference championship game was irrelevant (unless the top-ranked teamed had failed to win it. Then it would be VERY relevant!)

But here is the thing about being an unambiguous conference champion - it has never mattered in the past. There were man years that the Pac, or the Big10 produced co-champs, but had formulae that they used to pick who goes to the Rose Bowl. The difference is that the conferences don't have deals with the CFP like they did with the bowls. So the data still needs to be amassed as to how important a conference championship really is. Sure - 8/8 CFP participants have been champions, but that is kind of a non-starter since there has yet to be a team that is not a conference champion that has gotten any realistic consideration.

But what happens, say, if the SEC West produces two one-loss teams, the winner of the head-to-head going to the championship game. Then a tree loss SEC East team wins the game. I would argue that the most deserving team (out of the SEC at least) to be considered for inclusion in the CFP would be the one-loss SEC West team that failed to win their division.

Just wait until that happens (which it will at some point.) But by the time it does, people may have already either come to (or completely lost) their senses.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor won head to head so they should have been the lone champ.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times have we had FIVE undefeated or 1-loss champions of power 5/BCS level leagues?
It rarely if ever happens.

2014 was something of a fluke where a few team beat the snot out of their conference mates.
Usually every league is not as top heavy as 2014 was for all the leagues.

Most years there are four or less that meet the criteria.
Expansion is a silly knee jerk reaction based on a sample size of TWO.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times have we had FIVE undefeated or 1-loss champions of power 5/BCS level leagues?
It rarely if ever happens.

2014 was something of a fluke where a few team beat the snot out of their conference mates.
Usually every league is not as top heavy as 2014 was for all the leagues.

Most years there are four or less that meet the criteria.

Nothing else matters

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will disagree with Oaknights. I think a majority of Nebraska fans wants nothing to do with Texas. I am willing to bet the numbers would be 51% to 70% against.

If I was given an actual vote, I would vote no.

If I had to take Texas then I would want quite a few stipulations about their membership.

Point 1: No other Texas schools come with them.
Point 2: No special deals because they are Texas. Look what all the special deals got the SWC and the Big 12.
Point 3: They have to wait six years for full B1G revenue Distribution just like Maryland, Nebraska, and Rutgers did.
Point 4: Texas can keep the LHN, but they get the same deal that Notre Dame has in the ACC, reduced Conference Revenue Distribution, unless they give up the LHN.
Point 5: Must play the first weekend of November in the B1G East or in Minnesota or Wisconsin. The first weekend in November really is not that bad.
Remind me to throw a poll out on Twitter sometime this weekend...I'd be interested to see the results. Hypothetically if they were to join, Texas would not get any special privileges like in the Big 12. The dynamic of power is much more evenly distributed in the B1G.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor won head to head so they should have been the lone champ.
I know that but had I been Bowlsby I would have named TCU the champ and seen what happened. Baylor was def out due to their crap OOC SOS so if the conference was willing to gamble (trying to get 2 in) I would have gambled with that chip instead. May or may not have worked but id like to have seen what happened.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree with you here, its about more money by having the ccg and more money having better tv markets for the next tv deal and possibly more money from basketball depending who gets the call. If a network is off the table for now (and I believe it prob is) then get as much money as you possibly can to try n keep up.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that but had I been Bowlsby I would have named TCU the champ and seen what happened. Baylor was def out due to their crap OOC SOS so if the conference was willing to gamble (trying to get 2 in) I would have gambled with that chip instead. May or may not have worked but id like to have seen what happened.

You would gamble a team that got beat head to head over the other?

You must be from West Virginia.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order to do that there would have had to be an established policy in place of how to award the championship in case of a tie. He couldn't just come out and declare who was champion based on whom he thought would have the best chance of getting in the playoff. That would have lacked integrity.

There would have had to be a policy in case of a tie the highest ranked team in the poll won the championship. Of course that would never happen because logically the first tie breaker should always be head to head. If there is a 3 way tie then it makes sense to go to the polls as the deciding factor.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order to do that there would have had to be an established policy in place of how to award the championship in case of a tie. He couldn't just come out and declare who was champion based on whom he thought would have the best chance of getting in the playoff. That would have lacked integrity.

There would have had to be a policy in case of a tie the highest ranked team in the poll won the championship. Of course that would never happen because logically the first tie breaker should always be head to head. If there is a 3 way tie then it makes sense to go to the polls as the deciding factor.
That was used in the BigEast during the BCS era, in the event of a tie the highest ranked team went to the bowl and was named champion.

Integrity? The guy was trying to get 2 teams in :lol:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU was definitely playing better at the end of the year. Baylor was leaking oil down the stretch. But, the regular season head to head game should matter...unless you are LSU and then the team you beat head to head in the regular season got a mulligan.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU was definitely playing better at the end of the year. Baylor was leaking oil down the stretch. But, the regular season head to head game should matter...unless you are LSU and then the team you beat head to head in the regular season got a mulligan.
Like I say, I agree on the H2H, but I would have gambled with TCU instead of trying to slip 2 teams in like Bowlsby did. I think the odds were better than not naming a champion at all like he tried to pull and that model had been used before in other conferences.. Baylor was not getting in no matter what because of that baby sh*t soft OOC SOS.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remind me to throw a poll out on Twitter sometime this weekend...I'd be interested to see the results. Hypothetically if they were to join, Texas would not get any special privileges like in the Big 12. The dynamic of power is much more evenly distributed in the B1G.

I don't tweet. I think Twitter will only appeal to the under 30 crowd in a large way. Those people don't know about the Big 8 days. History to them is from 2000 to 2009.