• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

At a glance: 2019 The Ohio State Buckeyes 2019 College Football Schedule

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And those numbers are very skewed given his first year in the program. Take away his first year and the offensive numbers are much better.

He's been better developing QB's during his last 5 years than his previous 4, so that's part of my reasoning. And he's been fine at developing the skill guys too. He's had a combined 5 guys drafted at wr and RB since his first recruiting cycle. Which doesn't include Adams from this past year. We aren't Bama/Clemson/OSU.
I know, and that's what I don't get.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, and that's what I don't get.

Bama and Clemson are at another level right now, OSU is right behind them. And then it's everyone else. We just don't get the elite talent out of high school. Very good talent, but not game changing talent. It also isn't a surprise those three programs had/have the best 3 best coaches. It's gotta fall into place for us to contend for a title and even then it would take a huge upset for us to beat Bama/Clemson. But everyone else is in that boat right now.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama and Clemson are at another level right now, OSU is right behind them. And then it's everyone else. We just don't get the elite talent out of high school. Very good talent, but not game changing talent. It also isn't a surprise those three programs had/have the best 3 best coaches. It's gotta fall into place for us to contend for a title and even then it would take a huge upset for us to beat Bama/Clemson. But everyone else is in that boat right now.
No doubt, they definitely are. I know being right in the middle of the hottest recruiting bed doesn't hurt. I just look at ND's performances against the 3 elite teams you mention and their closest game was a 16 point loss, and that was with a top 3 offense. When I made the Oklahoma comparison, I mean they have an explosive offense that's been largely comprised of non-elite recruits, but they just know how to utilize it. ND could have that, but they just don't seem to be interested in it.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, they definitely are. I know being right in the middle of the hottest recruiting bed doesn't hurt. I just look at ND's performances against the 3 elite teams you mention and their closest game was a 16 point loss, and that was with a top 3 offense. When I made the Oklahoma comparison, I mean they have an explosive offense that's been largely comprised of non-elite recruits, but they just know how to utilize it. ND could have that, but they just don't seem to be interested in it.

And OU has as many wins in the playoffs as ND does. There's a large gap after Bama/Clemson. Then OSU/UGA. Then a small gap with teams that can put it together for certain years.

Either way, we've been fine offensively since our OC has been there in 2017.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And OU has as many wins in the playoffs as ND does. There's a large gap after Bama/Clemson. Then OSU/UGA. Then a small gap with teams that can put it together for certain years.

Either way, we've been fine offensively since our OC has been there in 2017.
They've also stomped OSU in Columbus, and they were much more competitive against Bama and UGA.

I guess we'll see if anything changes for ND for the better. 2018 was a nice year when you look at it through the lens of going 12-0 in the regular season, but the schedule definitely got weaker as the season went on. Playing at UGA early next year and then at michigan later will be an interesting barometer.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've also stomped OSU in Columbus, and they were much more competitive against Bama and UGA.

I guess we'll see if anything changes for ND for the better. 2018 was a nice year when you look at it through the lens of going 12-0 in the regular season, but the schedule definitely got weaker as the season went on. Playing at UGA early next year and then at michigan later will be an interesting barometer.

Why should we change anything? We went 12-0 and lost to Clemson? Everyone was saying all year it Clemson/Bama and everybody else. We could have beaten anybody in the country last year outside of them. Which is how everyone else felt.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should we change anything? We went 12-0 and lost to Clemson? Everyone was saying all year it Clemson/Bama and everybody else. We could have beaten anybody in the country last year outside of them. Which is how everyone else felt.
Fair enough. You went 12-0 but it just wasn't that impressive. It reminded me, for obvious reasons, of our 2016 season. We had 3 top 10 wins, but it was probably one of Urban's bottom 3 overall teams and we got killed by Clemson because our offense couldn't do anything against them. Our offense was very similar to ND's in terms of offensive efficiency (70.7 to 71.6), so it wasn't that surprising that we also struggled so much with Clemson.

It's also one of the reasons I'm so happy we have Day as HC, because he came in here in 2017 and took basically the same offense and dramatically improved them (85.6 rating in 2017). Would've been really interesting to see how that matchup would've gone with the 2017 offense we had with Day instead of the 2016 one with Beck.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. You went 12-0 but it just wasn't that impressive. It reminded me, for obvious reasons, of our 2016 season. We had 3 top 10 wins, but it was probably one of Urban's bottom 3 overall teams and we got killed by Clemson because our offense couldn't do anything against them. Our offense was very similar to ND's in terms of offensive efficiency (70.7 to 71.6), so it wasn't that surprising that we also struggled so much with Clemson.

It's also one of the reasons I'm so happy we have Day as HC, because he came in here in 2017 and took basically the same offense and dramatically improved them (85.6 rating in 2017). Would've been really interesting to see how that matchup would've gone with the 2017 offense we had with Day instead of the 2016 one with Beck.

So we need to change everything up because Clemson was that much better than us? Do you want us to rehire our OC from 2015, who just got fired from WKU and is now the OC at Utah St? You said we needed to hire an OC more progressive, which doesn't make any sense. Fyi we run the same offense as Ohio State.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we need to change everything up because Clemson was that much better than us? Do you want us to rehire our OC from 2015, who just got fired from WKU and is now the OC at Utah St? You said we needed to hire an OC more progressive, which doesn't make any sense. Fyi we run the same offense as Ohio State.
You guys are free to do what you want. Our offense with Urban as HC was amazing under Herman, horrible under Beck, and now amazing under Day. OC makes a huge difference. If you're running the same offense as OSU with similarly rated talent at the skill positions, I'd say that further illustrates my point that you guys aren't developing your talent enough given how much behind us you've been over the last 3 years. Maybe you do need to rehire that other OC.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LB group will still suck, all 3 starters coming back. FML.
Different coaches and schemes.

- maybe they adapt to the new schemes and have success

- no "loyalty" with new coaches. Young, talented players are one year older, and the best players WILL be on the field

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are free to do what you want. Our offense with Urban as HC was amazing under Herman, horrible under Beck, and now amazing under Day. OC makes a huge difference. If you're running the same offense as OSU with similarly rated talent at the skill positions, I'd say that further illustrates my point that you guys aren't developing your talent enough given how much behind us you've been over the last 3 years. Maybe you do need to rehire that other OC.

You simply don't know what you're talking about. You're basing this off of one game this season. Clemson was beating the shit out of everyone once Lawrence started.

And I can't believe YOU are saying the talent level at the skill positions is the same. Lmao. All to try and argue a point that has no validity.

I'd like you to name some "progressive" OC's who ND should go after. Otherwise your claim that we need to hire someone more progressive is complete bull.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State Football: Predicting the Buckeyes’ depth chart next season

Only question marks for me: inexperienced but talented O-Line, will the LBs play better, and will Fields live up to the hype
Not upset at all to not see Prince at tackle anymore. I'm excited for the potential of the OL next year for sure.

Also hoping to see Jaelen Gill get the ball. He could be a legitimate weapon in the Curtis Samuel mold.

Biggest question I have on defense is how they don't have Togiai in the mix for DT. He was better than Vincent last year honestly, and he could have a huge season. Also, I agree that the LBs will need to improve dramatically in spring ball or the younger guys will be getting a lot more run.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You simply don't know what you're talking about. You're basing this off of one game this season. Clemson was beating the shit out of everyone once Lawrence started.

And I can't believe YOU are saying the talent level at the skill positions is the same. Lmao. All to try and argue a point that has no validity.

I'd like you to name some "progressive" OC's who ND should go after. Otherwise your claim that we need to hire someone more progressive is complete bull.
I'd say I very much do, and I've backed it up with facts. I'm not basing it off of one game. Your offense wasn't able to break 20 against a bad USC defense until 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter. You didn't even break 20 against an even worse Pitt defense. You can blame Wimbush all you want, but scoring 24 points against the 114th ranked defense in Ball State was just putrid. Then of course there was Clemson, who I know was elite, but the only opponent on their schedule that scored that little against them was Wake Forest.

From a recruiting standpoint, your talent is similar. You brought in 16 WR/RB/TEs in the past 4 years that were 4*. In that timeframe, OSU brought in 18. Neither had a 5*. However, it's clear OSU has gotten more out of them, especially in the last two years under Day. That's the difference I'm talking about.

From an OC standpoint, I'd look at guys like:

Jeff Scott, WRs coach at Clemson. What he's done there has been amazing in terms of developing top end WR talent.

James Coley, Co-OC at Georgia. Obviously made them an elite offense in recent years as WR coach/co-OC

Dennis Simmons, WR coach at Oklahoma. One of two WRs coaches to coach two Biletnekoff winners who is referred to as a "secret weapon" at OU who has been a huge part of the best offense in college football for the last 2 years

Mike Yurcich from Oklahoma State would've been a great get, based on his work at Oklahoma State for 5 years. Ryan Day was smart enough to grab him first.

These are just a few names I found with relative ease. I'm sure there are plenty more.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say I very much do, and I've backed it up with facts. I'm not basing it off of one game. Your offense wasn't able to break 20 against a bad USC defense until 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter. You didn't even break 20 against an even worse Pitt defense. You can blame Wimbush all you want, but scoring 24 points against the 114th ranked defense in Ball State was just putrid. Then of course there was Clemson, who I know was elite, but the only opponent on their schedule that scored that little against them was Wake Forest.

From a recruiting standpoint, your talent is similar. You brought in 16 WR/RB/TEs in the past 4 years that were 4*. In that timeframe, OSU brought in 18. Neither had a 5*. However, it's clear OSU has gotten more out of them, especially in the last two years under Day. That's the difference I'm talking about.

From an OC standpoint, I'd look at guys like:

Jeff Scott, WRs coach at Clemson. What he's done there has been amazing in terms of developing top end WR talent.

James Coley, Co-OC at Georgia. Obviously made them an elite offense in recent years as WR coach/co-OC

Dennis Simmons, WR coach at Oklahoma. One of two WRs coaches to coach two Biletnekoff winners who is referred to as a "secret weapon" at OU who has been a huge part of the best offense in college football for the last 2 years

Mike Yurcich from Oklahoma State would've been a great get, based on his work at Oklahoma State for 5 years. Ryan Day was smart enough to grab him first.

These are just a few names I found with relative ease. I'm sure there are plenty more.

No you don't. When you say something like we need a progressive OC. You have no clue what you're talking about. Especially when comparing ND to Michigan. Laughable stuff really.

Offensively the last two years we were 12th and 19th respectively in efficiency. Guess what we were in 2016? 45th. What a shitty OC we have that he took us from 45th one year and 12th the next.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you don't. When you say something like we need a progressive OC. You have no clue what you're talking about. Especially when comparing ND to Michigan. Laughable stuff really.

Offensively the last two years we were 12th and 19th respectively in efficiency. Guess what we were in 2016? 45th. What a shitty OC we have that he took us from 45th one year and 12th the next.
I've been comparing ND to OSU and Oklahoma. I literally just did it in my last post.

Great. Maybe next year you'll not regress like you did from 2017 to 2018. My guess is we don't see this current ND offensive staff sniff a playoff win.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been comparing ND to OSU and Oklahoma. I literally just did it in my last post.

Great. Maybe next year you'll not regress like you did from 2017 to 2018. My guess is we don't see this current ND offensive staff sniff a playoff win.

You're probably right. There's been exactly 3 teams win a playoff game the last 4 years. Not exactly going out on a limb there.

And you lumped ND in with Michigan as both needing progressive OC coaches. It's why I felt the need to respond because that was complete idiocy.