• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Armchair GMs...check this out.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earlier, I started to state that I thought Martin Mayhew was ranked around the middle of the pack among other GMs. I dont think he's great or anything like that but I dont think the guy is horrible like most fans seem to believe. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I like to see some type of logical reason or something that supports the claim that the guy sucks besides rediculous, emotional hatred because he didnt pick a certain player. Oh well....just click the link.

NFL GM rankings: Sizing up men who make it happen | Sporting News

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This list was made prior to last season.

Phil Emory is ranked one spot behind MMII for crissaches. (The Bears are a giant circlejerk with him at the pivot.) 18th and 19th respectively.

Two spots back, Doug Whaley who had been a GM for one year. Same thing for Dave Gettleman of the Panthers right after him.

The List is just as arbitrary as anything someone from this board can put together.

But anywhere from 15-25 would seem right to me. Bottom half, in his seventh year. With no division titles or playoff wins.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Jones at 32 is a fucking joke. How often do the Cowboys suck? Seriously, people are idiots when it comes to bashing Dallas and Jones. (Like OL weekly during Power Rankings.)

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Jones at 32 is a fucking joke. How often do the Cowboys suck? Seriously, people are idiots when it comes to bashing Dallas and Jones. (Like OL weekly during Power Rankings.)

You say that. But you're not down here in Cowboy country where it's really fun.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You say that. But you're not down here in Cowboy country where it's really fun.
I could really go for a Strawberry Shake from Whataburger too.

And some Dude on Chick asswhippin's from Greg Hardy.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Middle of the pack(19th) keeps you in the middle of the pack. The financial side of things began with 3 top 2 draft picks in a pre-CBA era. That's not an easy way to start one's tenure. In an attempt to surround those players with additional talent he chose to make some questionable re-structures. If everything worked out then he is a genius. It didn't. Moving forward, if he can learn from previous mistakes contractually and still continue to put talent on the field, then I think the fans will forget all about the cap hell years.

I want to see continual improvement within the draft. I hated the Ebron pick but I've hated draft picks before that panned out. No-one is ever going to love every move their team makes if they actually follow the game. You can't have multiple draft classes(especially in such a shout period of time) that not a single player is a contributor. Hopefully the addition of Xanders is that added help that was needed in the draft department but we won't know for sure until a few more seasons have passed.

Mayhew was given the reigns when the cupboard were bare and early 1st round draft picks were toxic because of the ridiculous contracts that accompanied them. 0-16, talentless roster, and the #1 overall pick. How could you expect anything other than another top of the draft pick? The fact that the picks proved to be talented players also put the Lions in a lose lose situation. With talented players comes talented extensions. The fact that the rams botched on a couple of their early rounders actually helped them avoid trying to juggle outrageous contracts. I'm not excusing the mis-management but also acknowledging the difficult starting position.

Moving forward without Suh will put the team in good shape financially. Without the burden of cap hell, we will actually be able to see how good of a GM he actually is.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I like to see some type of logical reason or something that supports the claim that the guy sucks besides rediculous, emotional hatred because he didnt pick a certain player.
Ok, here is the short version.

On Oct 14, 2004 he became the Asst GM. He does not get a pass for the Millen era. He was right there beside him for all those picks. He shares blame for the horrific seasons we had then including the 0-16.

This will be his 11th season where he has held a senior level role in shaping the team we root for and spend our hard earned $ on. In that time he has delivered two wild card losses and that's it.

Of the 14 GM's your article ranks behind him how many of those franchises boast a worse history since 2004?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't blame him for the Millen years. C'mon meng!

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
25 years since a playoff win. Only Bengals drought longer (by 1 year).

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, here is the short version.

On Oct 14, 2004 he became the Asst GM. He does not get a pass for the Millen era. He was right there beside him for all those picks.
He should. Millen made all the picks. I remember the 30 for 30 on Matt Millen(maybe it wasn't 30 for 30 but it was a show about his football/FO career) and his son was quoted as saying he and everyone else on the staff were telling him what a badass Demarcus Ware was going to be. Said this months and weeks leading to the draft. He chose Mike Williams instead. Millen's son said his dad did what he wanted, regardless of what people thought.

The Millen years were all on Millen, especially after hearing that.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should. Millen made all the picks. I remember the 30 for 30 on Matt Millen(maybe it wasn't 30 for 30 but it was a show about his football/FO career) and his son was quoted as saying he and everyone else on the staff were telling him what a badass Demarcus Ware was going to be. Said this months and weeks leading to the draft. He chose Mike Williams instead. Millen's son said his dad did what he wanted, regardless of what people thought.

I also heard Millen say he was talked out of taking a lot of guys by Mayhew, so who knows who's telling the truth.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Millen: I wanted DeMarcus Ware, got talked into Mike Williams | ProFootballTalk

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Mayhew has fucked up enough on his own without hanging the Millen years on him. That's just wrong. That's like blaming Maverick for Goose's death.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He absolutely shares blame for the Millen years. He was the asst GM for crying out loud.

No way can you give him a get out of jail free card. Sure Millen had the final say but who do you think worked with him on preparing the draft board? How about advising on possible FA acquisitions? That's what his job was.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He absolutely shares blame for the Millen years. He was the asst GM for crying out loud.

No way can you give him a get out of jail free card. Sure Millen had the final say but who do you think worked with him on preparing the draft board? How about advising on possible FA acquisitions? That's what his job was.
Millen was notorious for not listening to anyone and being ridiculously thick headed and stubborn. You're trying to blame Mayhew for his former boss being an idiot. That's quite a reach, if I do say so...

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Millen was notorious for not listening to anyone and being ridiculously thick headed and stubborn. You're trying to blame Mayhew for his former boss being an idiot. That's quite a reach, if I do say so...
And where do you get this inside information? I've never seen one report saying anything at all to that effect. Post the links.

I've seen the A Football Life piece and the part about drafting Ware. What I had not seen however was the article Swarm posted where Millen himself directly seems to contradict the way things went down.

That actually is a piece of verifiable evidence that, if anything, Millen is easily influenced. That would mean that Mayhew could have had a quite a bit of influence. I think it's you who is notoriously thick headed if you can't show me quite a bit of evidence to justify how you came to the conclusion you made in your post and stated it the way you did. You made a statement of fact, not an opinion. If he was notorious for acting that way you should have no trouble whatsoever providing ample supporting documentation.

And why ignore the part about Millen Jr's involvement in preparing the draft boards and research on FA's? It is simply ri-fucking-diculous to try and pretend that he played no part and shares no blame for the shitfest of horrible mismanagement that went on while he was the #2 man. No fucking way!!!

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No fucking way!!!

Micro says he saw a 30/30 where Millen's son said everyone told Millen aware was a beast, but Millen took Williams instead.

TP calls it a winning post.

Then Swarm posts proof from the horses mouth that Millen was actually talked into that awful pick.

Nothing. In fact, he ignores it.

Today I stop beating my head against the wall w these two. They're literally in love romantically with Mayhew.