• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any change in opinion?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What level will we jump up to in our passing game though? We've been ranked between 3rd to 6th in passing yards the last 3 years. This is no disrespect to Stafford, but the #1 and #2 passing teams are going to be Denver and New Orleans. If GB wanted to throw the ball as many times as Detroit did -- they would be 3rd. That is because Manning, Brees and Rodgers are the best QBs in the league. If NE didn't use a bunch of nobody's at WR -- NE would be up there too.

I just don't know how much more the offense can put up trading away picks to get a 3rd WR. If they hadn't signed Golden Tate -- I could completely understand the logic, as Detroit had a glaring need for a WR to start opposite Calvin. That need is filled now. Is it really necessary to trade away picks to get another WR? I suppose if Watkins had the height of Mike Evans to go along with his other numbers, I could see that. In today's NFL -- most of the top WR are all 6'3" and up. I think Watkins will be a solid player in the NFL, but I just don't know if he is the kind of guy we should trade away a chance to add depth and fill holes needed defensively.

I guess my question I would pose to those who want the Lions to trade up to draft a WR is -- Do you think Sammy Watkins would make the Lions better as their #3 WR than an impact player on the defensive side of the ball would? Someone like Mack or Clowney (if we traded up).

If we stay put -- Do you think drafting a WR at #10 (more than likely Evans, but if Watkins falls, it could be him) -- Would Mike Evans or Watkins have more of an impact for the team than say Gilbert or Dennard, Mack, Barr or one of the safeties?

Detroit has thrown for roughly 15000 yards the last 3 years -- how much more production can we ask for out of the QB and WR position? And how much will it improve the quality of the team? Detroit is 21-27 in the 3 years while putting up those numbers.

Scoring offense.

Our TDs did not match up with our total yards. No bonus points for being top 5 in passing yards, need to find the endzone more... Guys like Tate and Watkins should help with that.

Not saying Watkins needs to be the guy just because of that, just that I can see why they'd want him so bad.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's quite a few things that the offense struggled with that some dont realize. They failed a lot to maintain drives and they settled for tons of field goals. They struggled with opening drives and lacked the big plays because of the lack of playmakers and the defenses they faced. Arguments can be made for the offense as well as the defense.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scoring offense.

Our TDs did not match up with our total yards. No bonus points for being top 5 in passing yards, need to find the endzone more... Guys like Tate and Watkins should help with that.

Not saying Watkins needs to be the guy just because of that, just that I can see why they'd want him so bad.

I agree -- the scoring offense has to improve and hopefully with the addition of Tate and re-signing Pettigrew and Bell -- it will.

I put up the stats on the type of WRs who put the ball in the end zone, in the NFL. The only WR 6'1" and under in the NFL last year to be in the top 10 for receiving TDs was Wes Welker (he was tied for 10th in the league with 3 others).

As I said -- I think he is going to be a solid NFL player, don't get me wrong. I just don't think he is going to change the complexion of the Lions offense enough to trade away draft picks to get him. If he was as tall as Mike Evans (with Watkins other numbers) -- I'd say go get him and good luck to defenses in the red zone, as Stafford can take his choice who to throw the ball up to.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's quite a few things that the offense struggled with that some dont realize. They failed a lot to maintain drives and they settled for tons of field goals. They struggled with opening drives and lacked the big plays because of the lack of playmakers and the defenses they faced. Arguments can be made for the offense as well as the defense.

You want to change the way defenses play against the Lions. Trade up and draft Greg Robinson, who is considered the best run blocker in this draft. If the Lions could consistently run the ball -- the safeties can't sit 20+ yards off the line scrimmage and defenses can't double Calvin every play.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the fans wanting defense, but in my opinion, every Lions fan should understand why the team would be interested in Watkins or Evans.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My choice did change with the Golden Tate Signing, I would like someone on defense for sure now. I don't know who I would prefer between Barr, Gilbert, or Dennard. I would be fine with any of them. I think trading back for one of the safetys would be my top choice.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the fans wanting defense, but in my opinion, every Lions fan should understand why the team would be interested in Watkins or Evans.

I would have preferred Watkins initially, but I think Evans is the better fit now. I would not be mad about getting Evans, I just think there are bigger needs elsewhere now.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say "good luck" defending the Lions if they landed Watkins or Evans.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those stats you keep stating is just half the battle. Detroit simply didn't have enough play makers on the field and they struggled a lot. I know that you know this stuff. The more play-makers you have on the field, the harder it gets for teams to defend you. This team will be incredible if they can get teams out of that triple coverage they see every week.

I agree about having play makers. The offense has more play makers than the defense does. If you add play makers to the defense, the offense wouldn't have to drive the length of the field to score every time and wouldn't have to score a ton of points to win.

Think about it like this. On offense -- Detroit has Megatron, Golden Tate, Matthew Stafford, Reggie Bush, Joique Bell, Pettigrew locked up for multiple years and a young OL, outside of center, that they could draft a replacement in the 4th round. That leaves one position left to draft -- the 3rd WR.

The defense needs an OLB, a #1 CB, a safety, a DE and possibly a DT if they are going to let Fairley walk, which seems likely, after turning down his option.

The offense is basically set for the next couple years, sans the 3rd WR spot. The defense is where we have to add talent to. While it'd be extremely fun to watch an offense with Megatron, Tate and Watkins or Evans -- it isn't going to make the defense any better and that is where the Lions really need to improve.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying TrustmeImright, but you want to get teams to single up n CJ as much as possible. Even if the Lions did run it better, there is no way teams will commit a safety and leave CJ alone with a defender.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say "good luck" defending the Lions if they landed Watkins or Evans.

That is what everyone said about Denver. I'm not saying the Lions need to be the Seattle Seahawks on the defensive side of the ball, but I'd like to see them use some top picks to upgrade defensively.

Think about what New Orleans did to the Lions in the playoffs. If Detroit gets back to the playoffs -- do you see the defense stopping a top offense?

All I've been saying all along is -- if Detroit fans are just happy with getting to the playoffs, then by all means, trade up to draft Watkins or draft Evans in the 1st round. If we want to get to the next level and actually compete with the top teams, we HAVE to upgrade defensively.

You see what the top teams did this offseason. Denver brought in TJ Ward, DeMarcus Ware, Aqib Talib, NE brought in Darrell Revis, Green Bay brought in Julius Peppers, New Orleans signed Jarius Byrd.

Detroit isn't going to get top defensive FA's unless they overpay. They have to find them in the draft.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying TrustmeImright, but you want to get teams to single up n CJ as much as possible. Even if the Lions did run it better, there is no way teams will commit a safety and leave CJ alone with a defender.

That is fine -- if they want to leave the safeties back -- run the ball down their throats. The offense doesn't HAVE to throw the ball to score points.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct about the defense needing some more players. This is more about getting an impact player-the one at the top of your board if you can. Shouldn't matter if its defense or offense imo. I doubt we would even be talking about a possible trade up if the Lions were outside the top ten. If Watkins were to be drafted at 8, it would be a total waste not to try and get him. Even at 5, you have to try.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you want to get teams to single up n CJ as much as possible.

and no team is going to single cover CJ unless they have one of the elite CBs and even then he won't see a ton of single coverage.

Calvin is going to put up his yards no matter what. He is a freak. It isn't like, if the Lions drafted Watkins that Megatron is going to put up 2000 yards a year or teams are going to single cover him in the red zone.

Only way Calvin would see single coverage is if Watkins grew 4 inches and Detroit had basically two Calvin Johnson's on the team. :laugh3:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct about the defense needing some more players. This is more about getting an impact player-the one at the top of your board if you can. Shouldn't matter if its defense or offense imo. I doubt we would even be talking about a possible trade up if the Lions were outside the top ten. If Watkins were to be drafted at 8, it would be a total waste not to try and get him. Even at 5, you have to try.

So why not do the same for Mack? Or Clowney? Both who would have a bigger impact on the teams overall performance than a 3rd WR would?

Unless you think Watkins would be our #2, in which, why did Detroit give a 31 million dollar contract to a #3 WR?

You can't over extend yourself trying to build the unstoppable offense, because the other side of the ball is going to suffer.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're putting too much value on + + height. Watkins is not small by any means for a WR>

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine Clowney and Ansah getting single blocked on each end of the DL. Or Suh being single blocked if teams want to double one of those guys.

Imagine having two bookend linebackers with Levy and Mack and how much it would improve the Lions defensively.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're putting too much value on + + height. Watkins is not small by any means for a WR>

I'm just going by the numbers put up by current NFL players. If Watkins was a guy with a 40+ inch vertical -- I wouldn't put too much into being only 6'1". He ranked 28th among WRs in the vertical though at the combine.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im sure any one of these GMs, offices or whatever could explain why you would consider trading up better than I could. Im not saying that they absolutely have to but I can understand if that's the plan. Dont you think they would try to trade up if there was another shut down CB in this draft? I think they like Mack, Barr and Gilbert though.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they like Mack or Clowney that much then go for it. I dont, so I only speak for the guys I like. I would trade for Mack but not Clowney.