• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any change in opinion?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because they think about CJ, Suh and Stafford. They aren't stacked

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because they think about CJ, Suh and Stafford. They aren't stacked

I agree, and I think most of the world does too. Unfortunately for us, this Lions regime is from a different planet.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got dammit!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, Dungy would've bailed out at the last minute too.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Lewand: Detroit Lions coach is best available job - NFL.com

"I think this will be one of the most, if not the single most, attractive head coaching openings in the National Football League for a lot of different reasons," Lions president Tom Lewand said Monday. "I can verify that by the number of calls we have already gotten since the announcement was made at noon today."

Now word if he made this statement from his car phone...

Last edited by a moderator:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Marty or Tom ever say WHO it was that called? Im guessing a bunch of New Jim's old buddies. Like Mr. Dungy.

Peyton called, gave Caldwell a ringing endorsement.

Then Cliff Avril kicked his ass in the Super Bowl. There's your sign.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton called, gave Caldwell a ringing endorsement.

Then Cliff Avril kicked his ass in the Super Bowl. There's your sign.

I keep forgetting Avril was a big part of Seattle winning the SB. Just can't get Manny Ramirez out of my head as a reason why nobody should sign former Lions if they plan on winning games. (That Peyton Manning is a real Sumbitch for doing that.)

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody said they weren't good. Just that they aren't "elite" or the best or whatever you Kreton and TPaul were trying to convince yourselves and everyone else of.

Aww... somebody was a little but-hurt apparently.

What the fuck did I do? Is me ignoring Swarm leaving a gap in the drama you secretly like to stir?

I expect this kind of crap out of a few posters, you didn't used to be one of them...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got dammit, I never said they were the best.

Welcome to the club. Don't dare say a player is good, team is good, particular position group is good, or "could be" the best, or near the best.

Nope, anything like that you say becomes "Well you said so-and-so is the best ever..."

I actually learn all kinds of stuff on here that I didn't know that I thought... lol...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the truth behind that little phenomenon, Stop, is that their argument has run out of steam, so they attempt to turn a valid debate into a playground back-and-fourth.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Tate hasn't played one down for the Lions, yet the offense is loaded? Everyone here said our RBs aren't good, but our offense is loaded? Pettigrew barely can score 5 tds and the offense is loaded? CJ has to go for 2000 yards but the offense is loaded? Take Calvin off the line-up and this squad is kind of weak.

We just see things much differently.

Is your post serious? Let me breakdown the Lions offense and you tell me how the Lions aren't loaded on offense.

We have a QB in Stafford that is one of 4 QB in the history in the NFL to throw for 5000 yards and 40 touchdowns in a year. He has thrown for almost 15000 yards in the last 3 years. Did he throw too many picks last year? Yes. Can that be corrected? Yes.

We have the best WR in football. Over the past 3 years, he has set the NFL record for single season receiving years in 2012 with over 1900 and set the NFL record for most yards in a 3 year span. He has done this with NFL defenses game planning to stop him game in and game out.

We just added the 2nd best WR on the FA market. Do I think we paid him too much? Yes. Do I think he will make the offense better? Yes. Detroit's biggest issue has been dropped passes at the position and Tate has had the best hands in the NFL over the last 3 years. He also led the NFC in YAC.

Our RB's put up around 2700 yards of total offense. We have a speed back and a power back. Both can catch the ball out of the backfield. Did they fumble way too much last year? Absolutely. Did they drop too many passes last year? Absolutely.

We re-signed Pettigrew. Is he an elite TE target in the passing game? No. He is a solid blocking TE and an extension of the running game for Stafford to dump passes to. He only had 41 catches in 2013, but averaged over 70 catches a season the 3 years prior. Does he drop too many passes? Yes. Does he fumble too much? Yes.

What part of all this doesn't make the offense loaded with talent? The Lions issues have nothing to do with talent and everything to do with mental mistakes -- Interceptions, Fumbles, Dropped Passes.

Detroit REPEATEDLY beat themselves last year and the year before by shooting themselves in the foot. As Trent Dilfer stated during a game last year -- The Lions can't get out of their own way and continue to throw up all over themselves.

TALENT WISE on offense -- Denver is the only team I would say is more stacked. Whether the Lions stop killing themselves with mistakes remains to be seen. Interceptions, fumbles and dropped passes are issues the Lions can correct. What you can't teach or coach is talent? Detroit is loaded with talent on offense -- Now we get to see if a new coaching staff can harness the talent and help them get out of their own way.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys crack me up. Lol.

Talented, yes. Loaded, no way.

I other arguements, Stafford is terrible but in this case he is the leader of a loaded offense and his 5,000 yard season is suddenly rewarded. Bush and Bell are heavily criticized for fumbling and laughed at when someone states they could be one of the best, but in this case, they compliment a great QB with a great set of WRs. Golden Tate comes into a very weak group of WRs and suddenly theyre loaded at the position. Pettigrew gets bashed and the majority of Lions fans didnt even want him back but in this case, he makes the team seem loaded.

Look, if this team were loaded, teams would never be able to roll coverage towards CJ all game long. And if they did, tds and everything else would come easy to this loaded group. Nothing against him but Tate would be a 3rd round pick in this draft. If thisn team were "loaded", there would be coaches lining up for the chance to coach them.

We can say talented all day long but not loaded. Maybe if they add Watkins or Evans or Ebron-top flight guys- we can start talking about loaded.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I other arguements, Stafford is terrible but in this case he is the leader of a loaded offense and his 5,000 yard season is suddenly rewarded. Bush and Bell are heavily criticized for fumbling and laughed at when someone states they could be one of the best, but in this case, they compliment a great QB with a great set of WRs. Golden Tate comes into a very weak group of WRs and suddenly theyre loaded at the position. Pettigrew gets bashed and the majority of Lions fans didnt even want him back but in this case, he makes the team seem loaded.

Look, if this team were loaded, teams would never be able to roll coverage towards CJ all game long. And if they did, tds and everything else would come easy to this loaded group. Nothing against him but Tate would be a 3rd round pick in this draft. If thisn team were "loaded", there would be coaches lining up for the chance to coach them.

We can say talented all day long but not loaded. Maybe if they add Watkins or Evans or Ebron-top flight guys- we can start talking about loaded.

I found an article you will enjoy, this writer looks at the Lions a lot like you do. Has a lot of the same opinions as you. He also thinks Evans at 10.

NFL Draft Needs: Lions - Draft Analysis - Rotoworld.com

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To add, is it even possible for a team that's loaded to be very weak if you remove one player from the line-up? What is the definition of loaded in this case?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a good article Rob. I like Verrett also.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So for the offense to be 'loaded' -- they need to add one player, who hasn't played a snap in the NFL?

They aren't loaded with a pair of RBs who put up 2700 yards of total offense. The best WR in football. Signing a guy who had 900 yards receiving on the team who threw the ball the fewest in the NFL and faced #1 CB's every game. A QB that has thrown for almost 15000 yards and 100 tds over the last 3 years.

BUT -- if we add an unproven college player, who has never played a snap in the NFL to be our 3rd WR, THEN we can call them loaded.

Since the Lions aren't loaded with weapons on offense -- I'm interested to hear who exactly is in your eyes. I already mentioned Denver, so no need mentioning them again.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI -- just because the Lions are loaded with weapons on offense doesn't mean they don't make too many mistakes. THAT is what killed the Lions, nothing else. Way too many dropped passes, way too many fumbles, and too many interceptions.

The mistakes can be corrected.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing; Denver may be the only loaded team I can think of. Atlanta was and could become close. If you think the team is loaded with Tate then I'll say they'll be loaded with a top rookie.

How could you consider them loaded when they suck without CJ?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing; Denver may be the only loaded team I can think of. Atlanta was and could become close. If you think the team is loaded with Tate then I'll say they'll be loaded with a top rookie.

How could you consider them loaded when they suck without CJ?

They sucked without CJ because Nate Burleson was out, Ryan Broyles was out, Titus Young fell off the deep end. So yes -- When you lose your #1, #2, #3 and #4 WR, and you have to rely on people off the practice squad or off the street. Your team is going to suck.

Also -- ANY TIME Calvin Johnson isn't on the field -- the offense isn't going to be as good as it could be. That is why he is the best WR in the game. When he isn't on the field defenses have a lot more freedom, as they don't have to use up two people in the secondary covering one player.

As much as I hated the Golden Tate signing, it was due to the amount we spent to get him. He is the perfect complement to CJ, as he has been the #1 WR, as he was last year for Seattle. He is light years better than anyone the Lions have had on their roster as a #2 and if CJ goes down -- he can assume the #1 role. Seeing as how Calvin has only missed 5 games in 7 years -- let's hope Tate never has to do so though, as no one can replace what Calvin provides.

Personally, when you have a draft that the deepest position is WR -- it'd make absolutely no sense to me to spend a top 10, or god forbid, a top 5 pick on a #3 WR. If Detroit had a defense like a Seattle, or San Francisco, or Carolina, etc. -- I'd say go for it. If we had a defense like those teams, we wouldn't be drafting in the top 10 though.

Think about it -- if you have Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, Reggie Bush, Joique Bell, Brandon Pettigrew -- How many footballs will there be to go around?!?! We added a FB, so many times we won't even have 3 WRs in the game, unless they don't plan on using a FB and signed him just in case.