• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any change in opinion?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have just a little over a month left for the draft and I know everyone has been sifting through everything they can to see if they can generate some type of idea of what the Lions want to do. Clearly, everyone has an opinion of what the Lions will do and what they see best for the team. Those ideas often shift numerous amounts of time while we wait for the draft.
I'm still in Camp Evans. I think he has the potential to be a big time player, with or without CJ. However, I will not be upset at a player like Mack or Gilbert if they get selected.

I think Mayhew may trade down(or at least attempt to) if their "elite" player isn't there at #10. And I wouldn't be upset at that either.

Chief602

Resident Wookie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was cool, talked for about three hours with him, Rob Rubik and Brock Gutierez. Riley is about an inch taller than me but my shoulders are a little wider. More hunting and fishing stories than football. Some good stories from Rob and Brock about when they played.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was cool, talked for about three hours with him, Rob Rubik and Brock Gutierez. Riley is about an inch taller than me but my shoulders are a little wider. More hunting and fishing stories than football. Some good stories from Rob and Brock about when they played.
Then get outta that fire station and go help protect Stafford!! ;)

Chief602

Resident Wookie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too damn old, big four zero Friday. I hated school, spent a year and a half at SVSU drinking, playing basketball and playing with split tail. To go back in time!!!! Senior yr in HS 6-1 185. Could throw a ball 50yds. Freshman in college, 6-4 210 could toss it 70.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob,

Any word on who Buffalo might be targeting if they move up? Im also of the impression that the Lions want to trade up.

Rumor is QB, despite spending a first on one last year.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way I would trade up for a LB or someone that was non existent d or 2013.

I'd trade up a few spots for Mack. Straight-up difference maker that our defense needs. He and Levy would make a helluva duo at OLB...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your stomach is bigger. Damn sure that water head is bigger. Sucks not being there for charity game anymore. Surprised Reiff came north. Usually all PS guys. Call me tomorrow while I am driving home from New Mexico. Need the skinny from Rob.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd trade up a few spots for Mack. Straight-up difference maker that our defense needs. He and Levy would make a helluva duo at OLB...

Not sure I would trade up for LB either. However if said player is projected top ten not sure it is wrong move anymore. With new rookie contracts it has changed outlook of GM draft styles. It is just harder for "us" as fans to adjust to change. The value of trading picks has changed since new CBA.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no player the Lions should trade up for. They can't afford to trade away picks.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no player the Lions should trade up for. They can't afford to trade away picks.

I agree for this draft. As there will be players available at 10 that will fill needs. I do however wish they moved back some due to talent level in early rounds.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure there is. There's a few elite guys.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is how I actually feel, but when Lionstop mentioned they seemed interested in trading up -- I just hope it is to add an impact player to the defense.

If they trade up for a WR -- it wouldn't make any sense, imo, when they already have Calvin Johnson and spent big for a #2 WR in the free agency.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure there is. There's a few elite guys.

I know you really want Detroit to get Sammy Watkins, but how much better will it actually make the Lions to trade away a draft pick/picks to get a 3rd WR?

There is only so many balls to go around -- they added a fullback, so that means there will be times in the game where they only have 2 WRs on the field. They already have Reggie Bush, Joique Bell, Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate and Pettigrew.

I could see if they didn't have a return guy and Watkins could do that, but Ross and Tate have both proven they can handle that duty.

The offense is going to be pile up yards, whether they add another WR or not. They could put Ross, Ogletree or Durham as the 3rd WR and Detroit will still be a top 5 passing offense.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you really want Detroit to get Sammy Watkins, but how much better will it actually make the Lions to trade away a draft pick/picks to get a 3rd WR?

There is only so many balls to go around -- they added a fullback, so that means there will be times in the game where they only have 2 WRs on the field. They already have Reggie Bush, Joique Bell, Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate and Pettigrew.

I could see if they didn't have a return guy and Watkins could do that, but Ross and Tate have both proven they can handle that duty.

The offense is going to be pile up yards, whether they add another WR or not. They could put Ross, Ogletree or Durham as the 3rd WR and Detroit will still be a top 5 passing offense.

Outside of the top ten I think you have a valid point. Even inside the top ten it's still a valid point, I suppose, but the value of one of the true "difference-makers" in the draft is huge. That's what makes trading up for a Watkins or Clowney or Mack so appealing to GMs. A player like that is worth two regular starters for them because they're so much harder to come by.

I'm not opposed to trading up (though I'd much rather see us trade back), but if we do I still hope it's for Mack. I'd be thrilled with landing Watkins, though, simply because he's a rare prospect at his position (same for Mack, I guess). We don't need a 3rd WR badly enough to warrant a 1st round pick on one, but our passing game would immediately jump to another level, imo...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of the top ten I think you have a valid point. Even inside the top ten it's still a valid point, I suppose, but the value of one of the true "difference-makers" in the draft is huge. That's what makes trading up for a Watkins or Clowney or Mack so appealing to GMs. A player like that is worth two regular starters for them because they're so much harder to come by.

I'm not opposed to trading up (though I'd much rather see us trade back), but if we do I still hope it's for Mack. I'd be thrilled with landing Watkins, though, simply because he's a rare prospect at his position (same for Mack, I guess). We don't need a 3rd WR badly enough to warrant a 1st round pick on one, but our passing game would immediately jump to another level, imo...

What level will we jump up to in our passing game though? We've been ranked between 3rd to 6th in passing yards the last 3 years. This is no disrespect to Stafford, but the #1 and #2 passing teams are going to be Denver and New Orleans. If GB wanted to throw the ball as many times as Detroit did -- they would be 3rd. That is because Manning, Brees and Rodgers are the best QBs in the league. If NE didn't use a bunch of nobody's at WR -- NE would be up there too.

I just don't know how much more the offense can put up trading away picks to get a 3rd WR. If they hadn't signed Golden Tate -- I could completely understand the logic, as Detroit had a glaring need for a WR to start opposite Calvin. That need is filled now. Is it really necessary to trade away picks to get another WR? I suppose if Watkins had the height of Mike Evans to go along with his other numbers, I could see that. In today's NFL -- most of the top WR are all 6'3" and up. I think Watkins will be a solid player in the NFL, but I just don't know if he is the kind of guy we should trade away a chance to add depth and fill holes needed defensively.

I guess my question I would pose to those who want the Lions to trade up to draft a WR is -- Do you think Sammy Watkins would make the Lions better as their #3 WR than an impact player on the defensive side of the ball would? Someone like Mack or Clowney (if we traded up).

If we stay put -- Do you think drafting a WR at #10 (more than likely Evans, but if Watkins falls, it could be him) -- Would Mike Evans or Watkins have more of an impact for the team than say Gilbert or Dennard, Mack, Barr or one of the safeties?

Detroit has thrown for roughly 15000 yards the last 3 years -- how much more production can we ask for out of the QB and WR position? And how much will it improve the quality of the team? Detroit is 21-27 in the 3 years while putting up those numbers.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the price of trading up will just be much too high and it isn't worth it. I'd rather see us draft Jake Matthews (whom ee don't need) and keep all our picks rather than give up a second and next year's second to draft Mack.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sticking with taking a LB at 10. I think 3 QBs go in the first 9 along with 2 OLs and 2 WRs and 1 LB. My guess would be at least 1 CB as well. That should leave one of the LBs at 10. Worst case it leaves 1 of the CBs.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not all about Watkins, TrustmeImright. The Lions offense is not a finished product nor is it elite. A trade up for an elite WR in this case makes the offense a finished product and elite IMO. When you have the opportunity to go from a weak WR group to an elite one, you have to consider it. When you pick at ten, right outside of where the elite guys are, you have to consider trading up. The opportunity to get elite guys don't come too often.

The addition of an Watkins, Evans or even a Ebron takes this offense to the next level and puts them in great shape for the future.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustmeImright,

Those stats you keep stating is just half the battle. Detroit simply didn't have enough play makers on the field and they struggled a lot. I know that you know this stuff. The more play-makers you have on the field, the harder it gets for teams to defend you. This team will be incredible if they can get teams out of that triple coverage they see every week.