• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another Stumbling Block For Russell Wilson Contract.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a much smaller scale didn't Jerrah fully guarantee Collins deal last month for 3 years? I may be way off base but I remember something like that.

The risk/reward difference though makes those two situations uncomparable in my opinion. I mean we are talking just a few million for Collins at most over the next 3 years compared to maybe $70-100 million. One let's a team secure a for sure 1st round pick that fell because of legal reasons for pennies on the dollar while another if injured or falls apart completely destroys a franchise for the next 5-10 years.

As for the discussion honestly it makes sense for the NFL owners to fight for contracts to not be fully guaranteed. First off the NFL compared to other major sports has a lot more serious career ending injuries as it is the most violent of the major sports. Teams would be destroyed for years if they started guaranteeing contracts. Heck the MLB and NBA when they started doing it quickly saw the popularity of the sport across the country slowly begin to fade as the quality of play on the field quickly dropped. I think you would see the same thing happen to the NFL. Right now the NFL is the one major sport that still has the power in the hands of the owners instead of the players. As much as the players like to think it is better for them to be the ones controlling things honestly the NFL would quickly crumble in their hands. I mean we are talking 20 somethings with most of them having limited education controlling billions of dollars or that of billionaires who have built up empires controlling the money. I think one obviously knows what they are doing.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The risk/reward difference though makes those two situations uncomparable in my opinion. I mean we are talking just a few million for Collins at most over the next 3 years compared to maybe $70-100 million. One let's a team secure a for sure 1st round pick that fell because of legal reasons for pennies on the dollar while another if injured or falls apart completely destroys a franchise for the next 5-10 years.

As for the discussion honestly it makes sense for the NFL owners to fight for contracts to not be fully guaranteed. First off the NFL compared to other major sports has a lot more serious career ending injuries as it is the most violent of the major sports. Teams would be destroyed for years if they started guaranteeing contracts. Heck the MLB and NBA when they started doing it quickly saw the popularity of the sport across the country slowly begin to fade as the quality of play on the field quickly dropped. I think you would see the same thing happen to the NFL. Right now the NFL is the one major sport that still has the power in the hands of the owners instead of the players. As much as the players like to think it is better for them to be the ones controlling things honestly the NFL would quickly crumble in their hands. I mean we are talking 20 somethings with most of them having limited education controlling billions of dollars or that of billionaires who have built up empires controlling the money. I think one obviously knows what they are doing.
For sure guarantee contracts suck. It's a killer, who in the hell wants to be stuck with dead weight because of some guarantee? Guess sooner or later it's coming, really hoping for later.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure guarantee contracts suck. It's a killer, who in the hell wants to be stuck with dead weight because of some guarantee? Guess sooner or later it's coming, really hoping for later.

You and me both. It honestly would be the biggest hit to the NFL and would quickly diminish the product on the field. Players would count it as a victory in the short term but long term I think they would quickly learn how huge of a mistake this was. I definitely understand with the NFL being such a violent sport players wanting those guarantees as they could be done for tomorrow for the rest of their lives and teams have no problem just cutting them and moving on. It is honestly a pretty cold-hearted business but that is why they can have the product that they do.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and me both. It honestly would be the biggest hit to the NFL and would quickly diminish the product on the field. Players would count it as a victory in the short term but long term I think they would quickly learn how huge of a mistake this was. I definitely understand with the NFL being such a violent sport players wanting those guarantees as they could be done for tomorrow for the rest of their lives and teams have no problem just cutting them and moving on. It is honestly a pretty cold-hearted business but that is why they can have the product that they do.
Yup, being able to move on from a player is what makes the NFL great, but like you said, it's cold blooded.