• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another Stumbling Block For Russell Wilson Contract.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an interesting article about the funding rule which I knew nothing about. Wilson wants the majority of his contract guaranteed which would require Paul Allen to place that guaranteed amount in escrow. For some reason Allen doesn't want to do it. Is it collusion among the NFL owners, or something else? Obviously Allen can write the check no problem. Interesting.

Funding rule hovers over Russell Wilson talks | ProFootballTalk

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now here I am against Wilson. Guaranting that much of his contract can cripple the team in case of injury. If he demands too much guaranteed I say let him walk. He won't get the deal he wants from any other team.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an interesting article about the funding rule which I knew nothing about. Wilson wants the majority of his contract guaranteed which would require Paul Allen to place that guaranteed amount in escrow. For some reason Allen doesn't want to do it. Is it collusion among the NFL owners, or something else? Obviously Allen can write the check no problem. Interesting.

Scooby, I doubt even billionaires have $100 million just sitting in his checking account. Most of his wealth is in assets that he would have to liquidate to put in some low interest escrow account. Doesn't sound like a good business practice to me.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"For any team owned by someone worth billions, there’s no legitimate reason to refuse to fund fully guaranteed veteran contracts, other than to avoid the widespread adoption of fully guaranteed veteran contracts across the NFL."

Really? Since he has lots of money he should be guaranteeing contracts vs. other owners who only have a 9 figure net worth? What a hack.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"For any team owned by someone worth billions, there’s no legitimate reason to refuse to fund fully guaranteed veteran contracts, other than to avoid the widespread adoption of fully guaranteed veteran contracts across the NFL."

Really? Since he has lots of money he should be guaranteeing contracts vs. other owners who only have a 9 figure net worth? What a hack.

I didn't look at the link, but I'll assume what you posted was from there. That's a dumb comment. It doesn't matter how rich he is when it comes to the salary cap. Why should he jeopardize the future of his team by doing something like that in case the player gets hurt or doesn't live up to the contract? So Seattle should just guarantee all their contracts because he is a billionaire? I could be taking it out of context, but it Doesn't sound like someone that understands NFL contracts

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't look at the link, but I'll assume what you posted was from there. That's a dumb comment. It doesn't matter how rich he is when it comes to the salary cap. Why should he jeopardize the future of his team by doing something like that in case the player gets hurt or doesn't live up to the contract? So Seattle should just guarantee all their contracts because he is a billionaire? I could be taking it out of context, but it Doesn't sound like someone that understands NFL contracts

await a minute. Do you mean a rich owner can't just pay anything and say to hell with the cap?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To use simple numbers, assume Wilson wants $100m guaranteed (probably not how much he wants, but this is an easy number to demonstrate my point).

And say the contract is 7 years long.

What would Paul Allen rather do?

Put the $100m into a low interest escrow account?
Or invest the money over the 7 years (say his investment appreciates 10% per year) and have that money be worth $195m in 7 years?

It's a dumb financial decision to put a significant amount of money into an escrow account when Allen could invest it over that time and possibly double his money.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now here I am against Wilson. Guaranting that much of his contract can cripple the team in case of injury. If he demands too much guaranteed I say let him walk. He won't get the deal he wants from any other team.
If I am correct Tony got a $55M guarantee when he restructured/signed in 2013 at the age of 33.
Assuming that is correct, how much guarantee is RW worth when considering his accomplishments, health, and age compared to Tony?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On a much smaller scale didn't Jerrah fully guarantee Collins deal last month for 3 years? I may be way off base but I remember something like that.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scooby, I doubt even billionaires have $100 million just sitting in his checking account. Most of his wealth is in assets that he would have to liquidate to put in some low interest escrow account. Doesn't sound like a good business practice to me.
Could be. But then whats the alterative? Let him walk? Actually I'm kind of shocked he's asking for so much.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a much smaller scale didn't Jerrah fully guarantee Collins deal last month for 3 years? I may be way off base but I remember something like that.
Not sure. think about all the cash on hand NFL owners must have to be able to guarantee all the contracts on their given team. Crazy wealthy.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

These guys are very smart Harold, they will figure out a way, RW ain't going nowhere, Seattle will get him signed ,whether now or at the end of the season....Who else are they gonna bring in there to fit that system and be as successful as him ?....It's all the smoke and mirrors game between the owners and agents in these things all the time....Unless this guy comes available !!!.....Like a Dream Team come true, VY baby....:D

090211-vince-young-4001.jpg

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be. But then whats the alterative? Let him walk? Actually I'm kind of shocked he's asking for so much.

No, Seahawks are not letting him walk. If worse comes to worse, there is always the franchise tag.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the guaranteed $$ was a little lower, but Iit was still more than I thought he'd get or that I wanted Dallas to give him.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the guaranteed $$ was a little lower, but Iit was still more than I thought he'd get or that I wanted Dallas to give him.

I think sometimes Jerry thinks he can...