• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another OSU QB transferring

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With two players....two. And I was excited about them like any of Michigan's five star recruits. Some end up sucking, some end up doing really well. I'm sure you've done the same with ND's five stars. And I'm sure @7Samurai13 was pumped with Malik McDowell chose MSU over Mich. I'm not sure what we're debating here or why the conversation has come to this place? Gardner and Morris were a bit different for Michigan because fans were hoping those were the guys that would lead us out of the dark ages.

And as I already said, Mccaffrey started getting into the game last season (even with Shea healthy) specifically on some designed QB runs. They started working him in and then he broke his collar bone. Not much you can do about that. So he was starting to see the field in year 2. I imagine you'll see him in the same role this year.
Sure I was pumped to get the only 5 star player in the history of our program. But what you haven’t seen me do is pump up a player who hasn’t played a single snap for our team and pretend like he is going to be a difference maker.

Michigan fans...
McCaffrey is going to kill it
Patterson is going to kill it
Peters is going to kill it
O’Korn is going to kill it
Speight is going to kill it
Morris is going to kill it
Gardner is going to kill it
Robinson is going to kill it
Forcier is going to kill it
Mallet is going to kill it

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson was a top 25 QB in QBR last year, 2nd in the B10. You can't just dismiss that. He's been here 2 seasons. He's the backup and presumably is in line for starting his junior and senior seasons. Seems right on track to me. I don't want underclassman starting at QB.

Patterson padded his stats against shitty teams. He was good against PSU and that's about it. And yeah I don't blame if you wanted to wait for guys until they were juniors jun seniors. UM hasn't had anybody good enough. But yeah, UM doesn't need Trevor Lawrence, Tua, Fromm, or Winston, Goff, Watson, Kizer, Manziel, Darnold, hell I could go on forever.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure I was pumped to get the only 5 star player in the history of our program. But what you haven’t seen me do is pump up a player who hasn’t played a single snap for our team and pretend like he is going to be a difference maker.

Michigan fans...
McCaffrey is doing fine
And Patterson is doing better than fine
Speight was a fine starter (though I'm not sure anyone was saying a 3 star QB prospect was going to kill it)
O'Korn wasn't going to kill it but was great for adding depth
Robinson was one of the best and most exciting QB's we've ever had and broke the NCAA record for rushing yards by a QB
Forcier did fine until he got kicked out of school for academics
Mallet also did fine before we hired RR, he transferred and did well at Arkansas.

The only two players who truly were let downs were Morris and Peters.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCaffrey is doing fine
And Patterson is doing better than fine
Speight was a fine starter (though I'm not sure anyone was saying a 3 star QB prospect was going to kill it)
O'Korn wasn't going to kill it but was great for adding depth
Robinson was one of the best and most exciting QB's we've ever had and broke the NCAA record for rushing yards by a QB
Forcier did fine until he got kicked out of school for academics
Mallet also did fine before we hired RR, he transferred and did well at Arkansas.

The only two players who truly were let downs were Morris and Peters.
Yes but you don’t talk about them being “fine”. Michigan fans talk about them as Heisman candidates and game changers. The closest thing to a game changer in that group was Robinson and he couldn’t throw a spiral past the line of scrimmage.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson padded his stats against shitty teams. He was good against PSU and that's about it. And yeah I don't blame if you wanted to wait for guys until they were juniors jun seniors. UM hasn't had anybody good enough. But yeah, UM doesn't need Trevor Lawrence, Tua, Fromm, or Winston, Goff, Watson, Kizer, Manziel, Darnold, hell I could go on forever.
Kids are playing earlier, but there's far more kids who sat for two years before turning into stars than kids who started as true freshman. Many of those guys weren't even good until their later years in college. Geoff, for instance, didn't even break 150 in QB rating until his junior season. Deshaun Watson's QB rating actually regressed every year at Clemson. And my last point here, you also have to factor in many of those guys weren't in crowded QB rooms and started out of necessity.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids are playing earlier, but there's far more kids who sat for two years before turning into stars than kids who started as true freshman. Many of those guys weren't even good until their later years in college. Geoff, for instance, didn't even break 150 in QB rating until his junior season. Deshaun Watson's QB rating actually regressed every year at Clemson. And my last point here, you also have to factor in many of those guys weren't in crowded QB rooms and started out of necessity.
Maybe if Harbaugh stopped hunting for mercenaries, the QB room wouldn’t be crowded?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if Harbaugh stopped hunting for mercenaries, the QB room wouldn’t be crowded?
A crowded QB room is good - no? See the OSU situation right now. They're one injury away from disaster, that's what started this conversation (me saying Michigan was in really good shape at QB, which is still true).

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but you don’t talk about them being “fine”. Michigan fans talk about them as Heisman candidates and game changers. The closest thing to a game changer in that group was Robinson and he couldn’t throw a spiral past the line of scrimmage.
The only one of them that got talk of Heisman candidates was Robinson. And every five star QB or RB a team gets is going to be talked about as a game changer. Patterson is one of the best QB's in CFB right now. McCaffrey has done some nice things as his backup. That's more than "fine".

MSU fans do the same thing. Fans were calling DeWeaver the next Cook. Fans see hope in recruits, that's why recruiting rankings and sites even exist.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A crowded QB room is good - no? See the OSU situation right now. They're one injury away from disaster, that's what started this conversation (me saying Michigan was in really good shape at QB, which is still true).
It can be good, but if it’s crowded with mediocre, over hyped garbage, then it’s not.

Speight was about to lose his starting job he sucked so hard.
O’Korn was a disaster
Peters was no good and couldn’t handle the playbook
McCaffrey was not ready to play college football
Nobody even knew Malzone existed

But in 2017, before the season, Michigan fans were thumping their chest with how great their quarterback situation was.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and call bull shit on that. I can't think of one QB off the top of my head who's turned out to be a star that had to wait until their 4th year in college to become the starter. But go ahead and try and prove me wrong.

And it's only crowded in your head.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and call bull shit on that. I can't think of one QB off the top of my head who's turned out to be a star that had to wait until their 4th year in college to become the starter. But go ahead and try and prove me wrong.

Haskins?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Michigan fans...
Meh. Eventually, they will be right at some point.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can be good, but if it’s crowded with mediocre, over hyped garbage, then it’s not.

Speight was about to lose his starting job he sucked so hard.
O’Korn was a disaster
Peters was no good and couldn’t handle the playbook
McCaffrey was not ready to play college football
Nobody even knew Malzone existed

But in 2017, before the season, Michigan fans were thumping their chest with how great their quarterback situation was.
I still think it would have been OK. Speight statistically had one of the best passing years (total yards) in Michigan history the year prior and lead Michigan almost to the playoffs. Speight was a good college QB before he got riddled with injuries. Peters was a bust and I'm glad we didn't burn McCaffrey's redshirt (which was possible because O'Korn transferred in).

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Literally this very year. Kyler Murray, the guy likely to go #1 in the NFL draft, played at A&M in 2015. Wasn't great. Transferred to OU, had to sit out a year. Played at OU in 2017 and 2018. Now if you're going to hang your hat on the very specific example of redshirting and waiting two years, it might take me longer to find an example. But Murray I think proves a lot of my point. Terrible freshman year at AM. Transferred. Sat out a year. Started in what would have been his junior year, stayed through his senior year and entered the NFL draft as the #1 QB and Heisman winner.

Up until like 10 years ago, playing a true freshman or RS freshman at QB was unheard of. When you talk about some of these guys it also goes along with, "the first true freshman to X at X school".

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staying with OU, Baker Mayfield? Started at Texas Tech, wasn't that great. Transferred to OU, sat out a year, and started in his 3rd year of college. Played 3 seasons at OU; eventually winning the Heisman?

So the last two Heisman winners were pretty similar in length of stay at college - and blossomed pretty late in their college careers.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Literally this very year. Kyler Murray, the guy likely to go #1 in the NFL draft, played at A&M in 2015. Wasn't great. Transferred to OU, had to sit out a year. Played at OU in 2017 and 2018. Now if you're going to hang your hat on the very specific example of redshirting and waiting two years, it might take me longer to find an example. But Murray I think proves a lot of my point. Terrible freshman year at AM. Transferred. Sat out a year. Started in what would have been his junior year, stayed through his senior year and entered the NFL draft as the #1 QB and Heisman winner.

Up until like 10 years ago, playing a true freshman or RS freshman at QB was unheard of. When you talk about some of these guys it also goes along with, "the first true freshman to X at X school".

Good job. Completely forgot about him as I was thinking prior to 2018. At this point he seems to be a complete outlier though and had to sit behind a Heisman winner. These days if you're good enough you play within the first 3 seasons (except Murray)

And I would agree 10 years ago it was unheard of, but that was then. I get Michigan fans love to live in the past, but it's time to evolve.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good job. Completely forgot about him as I was thinking prior to 2018. At this point he seems to be a complete outlier though and had to sit behind a Heisman winner. These days if you're good enough you play within the first 3 seasons (except Murray)

And I would agree 10 years ago it was unheard of, but that was then. I get Michigan fans love to live in the past, but it's time to evolve.
An outlier, except for Mayfield the year before who practically did the exact same thing. OU has turned two transfers who had terrible freshman seasons at their original schools into Heisman winners. I'd have no problem if McCaffrey started this year....if Shea also wasn't here. I don't think having a good QB in the starting roll preventing another potentially good QB from seeing the field is a bad thing. Like I said, a lot of those guys you listed were thrust into the starting picture out of necessity or because other guys left early for the NFL. If Shea didn't come back this year, McCaffrey would probably e our starter going into the season.