• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another OSU QB transferring

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staying with OU, Baker Mayfield? Started at Texas Tech, wasn't that great. Transferred to OU, sat out a year, and started in his 3rd year of college. Played 3 seasons at OU; eventually winning the Heisman?

So the last two Heisman winners were pretty similar in length of stay at college - and blossomed pretty late in their college careers.

Baker had 36 TD's and lead OU to the CFP his 3rd year, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say McCaffrey doesn't do that this year.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An outlier, except for Mayfield the year before who practically did the exact same thing. OU has turned two transfers who had terrible freshman seasons at their original schools into Heisman winners. I'd have no problem if McCaffrey started this year....if Shea also wasn't here. I don't think having a good QB in the starting roll preventing another potentially good QB from seeing the field is a bad thing. Like I said, a lot of those guys you listed were thrust into the starting picture out of necessity or because other guys left early for the NFL. If Shea didn't come back this year, McCaffrey would probably e our starter going into the season.

Baker started his 3rd year. And was also good enough to at least see the field as a RS FR. Murray is the only outlier I'm seeing.

Also, where the hell was Shea gonna go, declare to be an UGA?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker started his 3rd year. And was also good enough to at least see the field as a RS FR. Murray is the only outlier I'm seeing.

Also, where the hell was Shea gonna go, declare to be an UGA?
Shea got mixed reviews on the NFL draft. With as weak as this draft is QB wise, some had him going pretty high in the draft (round 2/3). Some said he'd be a round 4-5 kind of pick. I think he stayed to solidify a higher round pick but prior to him saying he was staying at UM for another year, it was all but assumed by most that he was gone.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it better? Yes. But we hear almost every single year how great the Michigan QBs are going to be. It’s every year going all the way back to the Lloyd Carr days. There has been like two years where the hype wasn’t there.

I’ve come to the realization, after seeing some of the clueless UM fans on some FB pages — that some ‘fans’ dont even watch the games and just spout off at the mouth about UM.

I think the media does it too, because UM has such a large fan base and they are spread all over.

Personally — the reason I was excited for Harbaugh’s hire was his track record identifying talent and developing talent at QB. I’ve been underwhelmed thus far in what he has done. When I pointed out to one of the FB pages that UM will be in year 5 with Harbaugh and not a single QB he recruited has been the starter at UM. The UM fans argued he recruited Patterson. When I tried to explain — we got so many transfers in because of how bad our QB room was — they didn’t want to hear it.

Simple truth — UM needs to get more out of their QB position. This year will be telling because Patterson will be in an offense he has run before at Ole Miss and should get the most out of his ability.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve come to the realization, after seeing some of the clueless UM fans on some FB pages — that some ‘fans’ dont even watch the games and just spout off at the mouth about UM.

I think the media does it too, because UM has such a large fan base and they are spread all over.

Personally — the reason I was excited for Harbaugh’s hire was his track record identifying talent and developing talent at QB. I’ve been underwhelmed thus far in what he has done. When I pointed out to one of the FB pages that UM will be in year 5 with Harbaugh and not a single QB he recruited has been the starter at UM. The UM fans argued he recruited Patterson. When I tried to explain — we got so many transfers in because of how bad our QB room was — they didn’t want to hear it.

Simple truth — UM needs to get more out of their QB position. This year will be telling because Patterson will be in an offense he has run before at Ole Miss and should get the most out of his ability.
Some? lol

I can't read the comment section on any mlive/facebook or det/freep article because the vast majority of "fans" are fucking morons. If you read the articles now, you'd see Michigan fans trashing Poole for leaving to make millions of dollars.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some? lol

I can't read the comment section on any mlive/facebook or det/freep article because the vast majority of "fans" are fucking morons. If you read the articles now, you'd see Michigan fans trashing Poole for leaving to make millions of dollars.
Damn I always imagined you were one of the top commenters on mlive

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Mccaffrey was recruited, it was pretty established that he'd need a few years to bulk up to college weight. I'm not sure we'd have wanted Mccaffrey starting last year. This is the first year where it would have been reasonable and you know what, sometimes you just have to wait your turn. Except at OSU, where you just transfer away. Harbaugh has brought in 1 highly ranked QB recruit in every class for the last 3 years. With Peters fizzling, Shea was a necessity last year. Starting a RS freshman at QB is not ideal.
These are not Ohio State, Alabama, or Clemson problems.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson padded his stats against shitty teams. He was good against PSU and that's about it. And yeah I don't blame if you wanted to wait for guys until they were juniors jun seniors. UM hasn't had anybody good enough. But yeah, UM doesn't need Trevor Lawrence, Tua, Fromm, or Winston, Goff, Watson, Kizer, Manziel, Darnold, hell I could go on forever.

In defense of UM — a QB’s responsibility in a pro style offense is exponentially more complex than in a spread/RPO. It is why so many QB’s who excel in college, are terrible in the NFL.
In the spread, the QB doesn’t even have to read the defense. They come up to the line — turn to the sideline, who looks over the defensive set and sends in the play call. In a pro style offense, it falls on the QB to read the defense and audible, not only the play, but blocking schemes too.

In the spread, you have a very limited amount of throws you have to make and WR’s have a very limited number of routes in the route tree to run. It is why many WR’s who excel in the spread, struggle in the NFL.

UM has had, I believe, one true freshman ever start from Day 1. I think it was Chad Henne. It may be two, but he is the only one I’m sure of. That is in 100+ years.

This year — it ‘appears’, UM is going to go to a no huddle offense. So I’m will to wager — Patterson will throw for 3000+ yards and the offense will put up more points, based on the extra number of plays on offense they will get because of that. It doesn’t mean Patterson is now a better QB — it means he got to play in an offense where putting up yards and points is much easier.
The downside — that defense who was ranked in the top 5 the last few years will most likely not be, as quicker drives, means more time on the field for the defense, which means more yards and points they will give up.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the single QB on your roster ranked higher than 3 stars, yes.
So you're telling me we don't hope to develop this QB that is one year removed from graduating high school? I don't think you thought that response through.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're telling me we don't hope to develop this QB that is one year removed from graduating high school? I don't think you thought that response through.
You suggested that big name teams don't have starters at QB and guys waiting a few years to develop; which is incorrect, and hilariously so in terms of OSU because you have 1 option at QB that you're hoping works out.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You suggested that big name teams don't have starters at QB and guys waiting a few years to develop; which is incorrect, and hilariously so in terms of OSU because you have 1 option at QB that you're hoping works out.
No I didn't. I said at programs like OSU, Bama, and Clemson it doesn't take years to bulk kids up, and starting RS freshmen isn't a problem for them.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I didn't. I said at programs like OSU, Bama, and Clemson it doesn't take years to bulk kids up, and starting RS freshmen isn't a problem for them.
Yes they do. Mccaffrey took a RS year and started getting playing time behind Shea in year 2. Then got injured. How is that unusual?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they do. Mccaffrey took a RS year and started getting playing time behind Shea in year 2. Then got injured. How is that unusual?
No they don't. I've never seen a guy come to OSU that needed "a few years to bulk up to college weight". That's absurd.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they don't. I've never seen a guy come to OSU that needed "a few years to bulk up to college weight". That's absurd.
Then you haven't been paying attention.

Without doing too much work I'd suggest Demario Mccall coming in at 171 pounds for a RB at OSU wasn't an ideal college weight in 2016, despite being a top 50 player out of HS. Or do you know of many 170 pound RBs in college?