• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Andrew Luck, QB - Denver Broncos

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What team that signs him though is going to let him go? They most likely sign him to something like a 6-year deal with $25 million a year on the contract. This is the difference between a player entering their prime and that of a guy at the very end of his career just trying to hold on. They are not signing Luck to just a 1 or 2 year deal like what Favre got.

This tangent was referencing a trade though, not a signing. Clearly Denver is not the first choice for Indy to do business with, just like Minnesota was not the first choice Green Bay wanted to do business with. Say Indy franchises Luck, but Luck refuses to play for Indy anymore and Indy trades him to Chicago for Cutler and some draft picks. [more Broncos irony for fun] Luck then blackballs Chicago from a long term deal and forces a trade to get something for him. Chicago will take the best offer, preferably to the AFC. Enter Elway.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever heard a team say "I wanna get rid of my best player, who is a QB, and then go out and try to make my team better without a QB?

This is fair, but sometimes the leverage shifts to the player. If Luck wants out and is not under contract, they either let him retire (team gets nothing), non-exclusive tag him (team gets two first round picks from signing team; no control of destination), or trade him (return and control). Sometimes your hand is forced and you're more of a fool if you don't make a move to get a return.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This tangent was referencing a trade though, not a signing. Clearly Denver is not the first choice for Indy to do business with, just like Minnesota was not the first choice Green Bay wanted to do business with. Say Indy franchises Luck, but Luck refuses to play for Indy anymore and Indy trades him to Chicago for Cutler and some draft picks. [more Broncos irony for fun] Luck then blackballs Chicago from a long term deal and forces a trade to get something for him. Chicago will take the best offer, preferably to the AFC. Enter Elway.

That is a lot that has to go right for the Broncos to ever be possible. Plus doubt Chicago wants to trade with the Broncos ever again after the last one. I know you were just using a random team but I just cna't see them being a team wanting to trade with the Broncos either. Believe me I would love to have Luck as a Bronco when he is entering the prime of his career. I just don't see but maybe a .5% chance that this is a reality.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deservedly so....ain't happening...the Colts will sink or swim with Luck for the next 8 to 10 yrs.

Unless Luck wants out...which is the premise of this thread. Watching the game last night makes one think something like this is possible.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah have to agree how are the Broncos old other than at a couple of spots? They have Manning's replacement for the QB position in Osweiler most likely. Ware has his replacement on the roster as well in Shane Ray and the emerging play in Shaq Barrett. The Broncos have Mathis' replacement in Max Garcia who was expected to start until they signed him and was looking good so far this year. So their 3 older players already have their replacements on the roster. The one position that maybe we don't have covered is that of RT unless Schofield has something click. Otherwise every starter on the team is 30 and below with plenty of game left.
I guess I should say a lot of what is proven on Denver is old. Denver already has a rebuilding process in the works but why would Luck jump into something unproven?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I should say a lot of what is proven on Denver is old. Denver already has a rebuilding process in the works but why would Luck jump into something unproven?

Rebuilding process? They have 3 starting Corners all getting ready to go into the prime of their career. Both safeties are under 30. So the Defensive backfield is set for the next couple of years. Linebacker wise Ware is the only guy over the age of 27 right now. DL wise they have Malik Jackson and Sly Williams as both guys still on their first contract right now. Some of the defense will depend on who they resign of course but good chance if the defense keeps going like it is they resign most if not all the starters on this defense.

Offensively they have 3 of the OL starters locked up beyond this year. Mathis and Ryan Harris are the only guys they don't and like I said they already have Mathis' replacement on the team. CJ Anderson is under contract beyond this year so the RB position should be fine. TE wise they have the position locked in for the next 3 years. WR wise Sanders is signed for the next 2 years and DT is signed for the next 5. So if Luck were to come in it isn't a team that is rebuilding it is a team that would have probably 15 of the 22 starters already in place.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a lot that has to go right for the Broncos to ever be possible. Plus doubt Chicago wants to trade with the Broncos ever again after the last one. I know you were just using a random team but I just cna't see them being a team wanting to trade with the Broncos either. Believe me I would love to have Luck as a Bronco when he is entering the prime of his career. I just don't see but maybe a .5% chance that this is a reality.

The bottom line is... will => way. If Elway wants Luck and Luck wants Elway, it could happen. And the only reason I made a thread about it is that the irony of it all would be friggin' epic. It's not like I think it will actually happen.

Using Chicago as an example was just bonus irony.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Luck wants out...which is the premise of this thread. Watching the game last night makes one think something like this is possible.
elway - stanford
luck - stanford

same skill set

it would be a great fit for both

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it would be a great fit for both

I think so too. It could actually be a Brady-Patriots type of perfect fit. The harsh reality is that NFL rules and structures make it very difficult for players to find their optimal team and situation. When it happens, legends are born.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good point there...given that he was his own worst enemy a lot of the time last night...probably more down on himself than his teammates.

I still think the Colts win the South, but let's say the wheels come all the way off and they don't, I think GM/Pagano/OC and probably DC are history and behind the scenes, Luck will have some say in who the next hire is imo...especially the OC so he will have sort of vested interest and as long as the GM addresses the areas of need via FA and the draft I'm not sure why he would want to leave.

Soft DIV should give him multiple shots at the SB over the next 8 to 10 years.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The harsh reality is that NFL rules and structures make it very difficult for players to find their optimal team and situation.

It's called allowing a franchise to protect their very significant investments.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point there...given that he was his own worst enemy a lot of the time last night...probably more down on himself than his teammates.

I still think the Colts win the South, but let's say the wheels come all the way off and they don't, I think GM/Pagano/OC and probably DC are history and behind the scenes, Luck will have some say in who the next hire is imo...especially the OC so he will have sort of vested interest and as long as the GM addresses the areas of need via FA and the draft I'm not sure why he would want to leave.

One has to wonder how much longer they will be a soft division though. Mariota has actually looked pretty good for a rookie. Blake Bortles if he can take a leap forward could make that division much tougher as well. Houston has a decent defense so if they could ever find a QB then watch out for them. I honestly think they should try to tank the season a bit to get one of the top QB's so they have them locked into a cheap contract and can build with having Watt on the other side.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're probably right. Even so, I'm sure he's looking at that Jets D and saying to himself "if we had half of that defense we could be in the Super Bowl". And it could eat at him if things don't get better.

A more likely scenario, but not as fun for irony's sake.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called allowing a franchise to protect their very significant investments.

True. And I didn't say it was all bad; just that there are some unfortunate byproducts.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ Anderson is under contract beyond this year so the RB position should be fine. TE wise they have the position locked in for the next 3 years.
CJ Anderson and Denver's TEs aren't exactly the type of players that will make a guy like Luck switch teams.

I'm not going to pick apart Denver's roster because its better than most but I'm not sure its the type of roster that will swing a player. Denver would have better luck going after some other veteran who is trying to get every last bit out of their career with the Denver air.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One has to wonder how much longer they will be a soft division though. Mariota has actually looked pretty good for a rookie. Blake Bortles if he can take a leap forward could make that division much tougher as well. Houston has a decent defense so if they could ever find a QB then watch out for them. I honestly think they should try to tank the season a bit to get one of the top QB's so they have them locked into a cheap contract and can build with having Watt on the other side.

I agree with this. It's cyclical.

I have no faith in Bortles, though. I think the Jaguars are going to continue to flounder until they commit to drafting properly. Pissing away high picks on QBs and WRs has to stop. They need to build an offensive line and a defensive line first. They need to realize that their best option at QB is a journeyman who has had some success with other teams. (see Fitzpatrick last night)

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is laughably absurd. Andrew Luck is going to get the largest contract in NFL history this offseason.

He isn't going to roll the dice and wait out his contract to be a free agent only to be tagged by the Colts anyway.

Even if Luck really wanted out of Indy and wanted to go to Denver, which is pure speculation, he isn't tossing 10-20 million dollars in the trash in hopes of getting what he wants.

People were saying all sorts of silly stuff about Russell Wilson and how the team didn't want him or that they were going to let him test the open market. And then on the last day possible, Wilson signed his extension.