• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith calls out Cam Newton

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Tedy, not Tedi (knew there was something weird in the spelling). I agree there was a technical calling out of Newton, but it's the D that should be most offended by Smith's comments. Perhaps not Beason in particular as he didn't play last year (to the chagrin of my fantasy team....).

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tedy, not Tedi (knew there was something weird in the spelling). I agree there was a technical calling out of Newton, but it's the D that should be most offended by Smith's comments. Perhaps not Beason in particular as he didn't play last year (to the chagrin of my fantasy team....).

Eh, Tedy, Ted, Tedi, (sometimes) Asshole they are all interchangeable. Honestly, who is to say whom should be more offended? I could argue that Rivera or McDermott should feel the most offended.

The overarching point, as far as I'm concerned is this, Alex Smith is in no position to be calling out other teams defense or other teams QB's or other teams anything.

While Smith may have had, by the measure of some, a brilliant, excellent, exceptional, awesome, solid season, IMO, by whatever adjective you choose to describe Smith's season last year - He has still proven exactly nothing.

So, while I do like the new attitude and the new swagger, quite a bit actually, I would like to see him demonstrate some perspective when addressing the media - especially when bringing up the performance of other teams and their QB's.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Could this all be because the media keeps asking Smith if he is going to put up more passing yards all the damn time? First there was the Giants comments he had to answer about "managing" the games. Then he was asked over and over again about how he was going to throw for more yards than brees. Now, he is still be asked over and over again. it probably gets old after awhile. So what he used the Panthers and Newton as an example. Didn't realize this country was full of sensitive metro sexuals. Actually I did.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could this all be because the media keeps asking Smith if he is going to put up more passing yards all the damn time? First there was the Giants comments he had to answer about "managing" the games. Then he was asked over and over again about how he was going to throw for more yards than brees. Now, he is still be asked over and over again. it probably gets old after awhile. So what he used the Panthers and Newton as an example. Didn't realize this country was full of sensitive metro sexuals. Actually I did.

Everybody gets asked a lot of questions about their flaws. I'm sure Frank Gore gets asked about his injuries and lack of durability all the time. He's not answering them with a "At least I played most of the games, unlike some RBs who missed the majority of the season. Like Jamaal Charles who missed the entire season last year."

I'm sure people here would defend Gore saying he wasn't calling Charles out, he was calling Charles' ACL out.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Willis' role as peacemaker in Smith-Panthers Twitter twit

Alex Smith made a comment. Jon Beason responded. And Patrick Willis, seemingly, provided the final words.

As you know by now, Smith answered a few questions on Wednesday after 49ers practice in Santa Clara.

Smith, on the 49ers' 2011 passing game, said, "We were inconsistent when we had to throw the football." He pointed to the team's problems on third downs and in the red zone.

As a follow-up, I cited the 49ers ranked 29th in the NFL in passing yards and asked Smith where he expected the 49ers rank this season.ssssss

And, yes, I understand that passing yards can be overblown. But, at the same time, the top five quarterbacks in passing yards last season were Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Matthew Stafford, Eli Manning and Aaron Rodgers. Coincidence?

Smith responded, "I think that's a totally overblown stat. Because if you're losing games in the second half, guess what? You're like the Carolina Panthers and you're going no-huddle the entire second half and, yeah, Cam Newton threw for a lot of 300-yard games, that's great. You're not winning, though."

Smith made his point.

But Smith is also savvy enough to know that the moment he singled out Newton, who was selected to the NFC Pro Bowl team as a rookie, he would subject himself to backlash from the Panthers.

Smith was taking a shot, specifically, at the Panthers' 6-10 record and he mentioned Newton by name. That is one sure way to create a mini-controversy.

Smith, obviously, didn't care how his comment would be perceived. And that can easily be considered as a good thing for a quarterback who spent the first six seasons of his NFL career trying to please everybody.

Then, Jon Beason, the Panthers' three-time Pro Bowl linebacker, responded in a way that was predictable. He basically told Smith to mind his own business while delivering a shot -- some would say a low blow -- directly at Smith.

On Twitter, Beason wrote: "Alex smith, don't hate on Cam (because) your stats would've gotten u cut if Peyton decided to come 2 San Fran. Truth b told. That's after a 13-3 yr."

Truth be told, Smith was not under contract when Peyton Manning decided on the Denver Broncos over the 49ers, so the 49ers would not have cut Smith. But, OK, he made his point, too.

Now, leave it to Patrick Willis, the 49ers' best player with a Twitter account, to not get caught up in the twit. On Friday evening, Willis made a statement clearly designed at putting this whole thing to rest.

Willis wrote on Twitter: "Wins are Wins I stand with My Qb Alex Smith and all my teammates. I can't wait for the season."

In other words, let's just turn the page.

Last edited by a moderator:

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Eh, Tedy, Ted, Tedi, (sometimes) Asshole they are all interchangeable. Honestly, who is to say whom should be more offended? I could argue that Rivera or McDermott should feel the most offended.

The overarching point, as far as I'm concerned is this, Alex Smith is in no position to be calling out other teams defense or other teams QB's or other teams anything.

While Smith may have had, by the measure of some, a brilliant, excellent, exceptional, awesome, solid season, IMO, by whatever adjective you choose to describe Smith's season last year - He has still proven exactly nothing.

So, while I do like the new attitude and the new swagger, quite a bit actually, I would like to see him demonstrate some perspective when addressing the media - especially when bringing up the performance of other teams and their QB's.

I disagree with this statement. When you take a team down the field to win a playoff game like he did against the Saints, you prove a lot. That was one of the greatest drives in 49er playoff history.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

For the record, I was correcting my own spelling of Bruschi's name.

I agree Smith shouldn't have mentioned Newton by name, and have said as much repeatedly. It was dumb. Like you, though, I don't mind a bit more attitude from him. Some of House's coaching (that was the pitching guy's name, yeah?) was apparently regarding leadership. Perhaps this is some manifestation of that.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I was correcting my own spelling of Bruschi's name.

I agree Smith shouldn't have mentioned Newton by name, and have said as much repeatedly. It was dumb. Like you, though, I don't mind a bit more attitude from him. Some of House's coaching (that was the pitching guy's name, yeah?) was apparently regarding leadership. Perhaps this is some manifestation of that.

Yeah, yeah, I knew you were just correcting his spelling - Brewski isn't one of my favorite talking heads. Yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if House has influenced some of his swagger as well.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with this statement. When you take a team down the field to win a playoff game like he did against the Saints, you prove a lot. That was one of the greatest drives in 49er playoff history.

No argument whatsoever with your take on the NO game or with your disagreement, Coffee. My opinion is based on the lack of consistency. Perhaps I'm a little more tainted or skeptical than most, but I want (need) to see more of his NO performance before I'm willing to say he has proven something - at least to me.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No argument whatsoever with your take on the NO game or with your disagreement, Coffee. My opinion is based on the lack of consistency. Perhaps I'm a little more tainted or skeptical than most, but I want (need) to see more of his NO performance before I'm willing to say he has proven something - at least to me.

We are of the same opinion when it comes to Alex Smith. I don't want to turn this in to a Alex Smith performance thread although it may have already turned that way. [Haven't read the whole thread]

I actually like the way he grew a pair over the last year. Like MM said, he always seemed to be a people pleaser. People seemed to be forgetting the context of where these statements were taken from. This is from the SF Gate article;

Before last season’s divisional-playoff game against the Saints, 49ers quarterback Alex Smith got a little testy when asked if he would throw for more yards than Drew Brees.

“I really don’t care,” Smith said. “I’m looking to outscore him. He can throw for as many yards as he wants.”

Four months later, Smith is still spreading his stats-are-for-losers mantra and using last year’s No. 1 overall pick to illustrate his point.

Asked today to account for why the 49ers ranked 29th in NFL in passing yards per game last year (183.1), Smith became, by his standards, somewhat animated.

He didn’t exactly raise his voice, but he was at least mildly irked.

I am still trying to figure out who the bigger idiot is? James LaBeau, the writer of the OPs article, or Jon Beason?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are of the same opinion when it comes to Alex Smith. I don't want to turn this in to a Alex Smith performance thread although it may have already turned that way. [Haven't read the whole thread]

I actually like the way he grew a pair over the last year. Like MM said, he always seemed to be a people pleaser. People seemed to be forgetting the context of where these statements were taken from. This is from the SF Gate article;

Before last season’s divisional-playoff game against the Saints, 49ers quarterback Alex Smith got a little testy when asked if he would throw for more yards than Drew Brees.

“I really don’t care,” Smith said. “I’m looking to outscore him. He can throw for as many yards as he wants.”

Four months later, Smith is still spreading his stats-are-for-losers mantra and using last year’s No. 1 overall pick to illustrate his point.

Asked today to account for why the 49ers ranked 29th in NFL in passing yards per game last year (183.1), Smith became, by his standards, somewhat animated.

He didn’t exactly raise his voice, but he was at least mildly irked.

I am still trying to figure out who the bigger idiot is? James LaBeau, the writer of the OPs article, or Jon Beason?

Coffeeman, am I reading this correctly that all of these 'teasers' are coming from LaBeau? - If so, he has my vote.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Coffeeman, am I reading this correctly that all of these 'teasers' are coming from LaBeau? - If so, he has my vote.

No Bem. I am pulling the italized quotes from Eric Branch from whom LaBeau got them.
To me LaBeau is just a want to be hack trying to grab hits for a website.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Bem. I am pulling the italized quotes from Eric Branch from whom LaBeau got them.
To me LaBeau is just a want to be hack trying to grab hits for a website.

Ahh, got it - Sounds like he went the "Cohn school of journalism".

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's calling out the panthers team, not newton. He basically said you can play amazing like cam and throw for 300 but it doesn't matter if your team doesn't win. Don't know why people think he's calling out cam directly.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's calling out the panthers team, not newton. He basically said you can play amazing like cam and throw for 300 but it doesn't matter if your team doesn't win. Don't know why people think he's calling out cam directly.

yes, every reasonable person knows what he MEANT, but not surprisingly its getting "sensationalized". had he not named a specific player, he'd be fine.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, every reasonable person knows what he MEANT, but not surprisingly its getting "sensationalized". had he not named a specific player, he'd be fine.

every reasonable person, except dumb linebackers

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Whats up SRPnVA? I just moved up to your neck of the woods last week, Sterling to be exact. Jesus man, Ive heard more about the Redskins in the last week than I ever care to hear again haha.

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This pretty much sums it up.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, you people really do talk about Cam Newton a lot