• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith calls out Cam Newton

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is fucking hilarious. How is mentioning a player SPECIFICALLY to prove a point isn't calling THAT player out?

Obviously Panthers players took it as Alex Smith CALLING Newton out. Because he mentioned NEWTON SPECIFICALLY.

But no, he wasn't calling Newton out.

Lol.

What a stupid analogy

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Actually Clyde is spot on...The other team DID think it offensive and DID see it as Alex calling CAM out..so not matter what the diatribe here...It is a call to arms for Carolina fans and team even if not meant so by Alex initially....thinks can be taken all sorts of ways many times unintentionally... that is why is is generally a better policy to not mention names when making a point. JMHO

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Clyde is spot on...The other team DID think it offensive and DID see it as Alex calling CAM out..so not matter what the diatribe here...It is a call to arms for Carolina fans and team even if not meant so by Alex initially....thinks can be taken all sorts of ways many times unintentionally... that is why is is generally a better policy to not mention names when making a point. JMHO

It really doesn't matter what people on here think. Alex mentioned another QB specifically to prove a point, the Panthers took it as offensive, and they responded. Whether Alex meant to call out Newton or not is irrelevant - Newton's name was mentioned, which is something you should never do, and the Panthers took notice.

I really don't get how this is so hard to understand.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were no analogies in my post.

Not only that but I agree with you 100% - I was just being overly sensitive to your other post - which I addressed and apologized for.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This thread is fucking hilarious. How is mentioning a player SPECIFICALLY to prove a point isn't calling THAT player out?

Obviously Panthers players took it as Alex Smith CALLING Newton out. Because he mentioned NEWTON SPECIFICALLY.

Lol.

earlier in this thread i already agreed with you - naming Newton wasn't good. if you interpret it as "calling him out" fine. to me that obviously wasn't his intent, but it also doesn't excuse him.

anyways, you're making this "calling out" way overblown, but then again not surprising for you when its Alex Smith. :-)

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
earlier in this thread i already agreed with you - naming Newton wasn't good. if you interpret it as "calling him out" fine. to me that obviously wasn't his intent, but it also doesn't excuse him.

anyways, you're making this "calling out" way overblown, but then again not surprising for you when its Alex Smith. :-)

I'm not overblowing anything. I said numerous times that I really don't care what Alex said and that it wasn't a big deal. My entire point was that, if you mention a player by his name specifically to prove a point, then it's understandable that they might take it offensive. In this case the Panthers did take it a offensive, and I can see where they're coming from. All what Alex needed to say was the a lot of yards don't equate to wins, without mentioning a name, and he would've made his point.

You just have a bunch of people up and down this thread trying to argue that Alex wasn't calling anyone out. Well, obviously Jon Beason and Cam Newton thought differently, and their opinions are the only ones that really matter.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Lol.

I understand the point you're making, but the fact that Beason got offended doesn't mean it was a dig at Newton. NFL players aren't exactly the benchmark for what is and is not offensive. Virtually any time you mention a player from another team, a guy on that player's team might get offended. That doesn't mean much IMO.

Though as said, by naming another player, Smith stirred the pot. It was pretty obvious something along these lines would happen.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the point you're making, but the fact that Beason got offended doesn't mean it was a dig at Newton. NFL players aren't exactly the benchmark for what is and is not offensive. Virtually any time you mention a player from another team, a guy on that player's team might get offended. That doesn't mean much IMO.

Though as said, by naming another player, Smith stirred the pot. It was pretty obvious something along these lines would happen.

I'm not saying it was a dig, disrespect, or anything. It was, however, a call out. As an NFL player you don't talk about another player to try and prove your point and defend yourself. It comes off as petty.

I'm sure Cam was in his living room when he heard Alex and said, "Who the fuck is this guy and why the hell is he talking about?"

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think it's funny how easy it is to get under an NFL player's skin.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people also have to understand that Newton took a lot of flak from a lot of people for making the pro bowl. He could very well have viewed this as more more of that.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Lol.

Because Jon Beason's twitter account is the be-all-and-end-all in this discussion. Beason took offense (has Newton said anything), so it must have been offensive.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It really doesn't matter what people on here think. Alex mentioned another QB specifically to prove a point, the Panthers took it as offensive, and they responded. Whether Alex meant to call out Newton or not is irrelevant - Newton's name was mentioned, which is something you should never do, and the Panthers took notice.

I really don't get how this is so hard to understand.

Are we talking about perceived offense, or real offense? Because perceived offense happens all the time.

You could argue that if someone takes offense, than there must be offense, but that's a very slippery slope.

The notion that whenever a player mentions another player by name offense should be taken is retarded.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Cam Newton, or any other Carolina Panther was offended on Newton's behalf over what Smith said they are ignorant and weak-willed.

They should be offended that what Smith said essentially is that despite Newton's numbers, the Panthers were unable to win.

The implication there is that the players around him sucked. Beason is apparently too ignorant to realize that.

And if you see this as calling out Newton and not his team, you fit more in the Beason camp than you may care to acknowledge.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't say a thing about Newton. He said playing in Carolina a QB can put up big yardage numbers because he's playing from behind. Newton's name was mentioned because he was that QB.

If he took a shot at anyone in Carolina it was the defense. If the Panthers defense could get stops, than Newton likely doesn't throw for as many yards.

Is Smith right? Not according to Newton's splits (he threw for 91 more yards in the first half than the second and had one more first half attempt).

As for Beason's comment that Smith would be gone if we signed Peyton, well duh. Anyone think Beason would be sticking around in Carolina if they got Willis?

this is the only thing i took away from the statement... I would think everyone walks away with the same conclusion... even Beason.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol.

it was more giving an example about passing yardage stats when your team sucks. he was more calling out the panthers d more than he was calling out newton. newton was the 'beneficiary' of that defense.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cam Newton, or any other Carolina Panther was offended on Newton's behalf over what Smith said they are ignorant and weak-willed.

They should be offended that what Smith said essentially is that despite Newton's numbers, the Panthers were unable to win.

The implication there is that the players around him sucked. Beason is apparently too ignorant to realize that.

And if you see this as calling out Newton and not his team, you fit more in the Beason camp than you may care to acknowledge.

Yep. Alex is not even talking too much of a causal relationship in that Cam Newton caused them to lose by going for yards or anything. If anything, he's saying we won, why focus on the number of yards it took to win. Alex's is saying that he's in one situation and Cam the other, why would we need more yards if we're winning. He does recognize that we need better third down conversions and red zone numbers, even if we won 14 games without it. So, it's not like he was saying what we had last year was perfect, just that this fixation on yards was overstated.

When he said he didn't care how many yards Brees threw, he was looking to outscore Brees, that's not calling Brees out for not scoring enough with all the yards Brees was getting. Right? (I know it's different when you are playing the guy next week and the question was about him, but he did mention a player and did infer that yards do not equal points (wins). I also know that he was talking about a goal (scoring more) not an observation (like Cam's 300 yard games were for naught).)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Both sides are right - he called out the team AND he called out Newton specifically. To say he wasn't insulting Newton is to state the obvious - He wasn't insulting anyone he was making a point and simply chose to use Cam and the Carolina Panthers to do it.

And just to expand on Smith's point a little, although on the back end his point is valid on the front end if playing from behind produces Yds/Gm then Alex should have about 20,000 yards passing and 20 or more games with 300+ yards.