• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith calls out Cam Newton

vvoland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alex could've tried and made his (stupid) point without name dropping. He essentially said that Newton isn't a winner.

He needs to STFU, play, and realize that no one is gonna take him over Cam Newton, regardless of their records.

not sure how his point was 'stupid'... 300 yd passing games do not guarantee a win. i'm pretty sure we'd all agree on that and while throwing another qb into the mix wasn't smart, he did not say [nor did he imply] that newton wasn't a winner. he said that the panthers weren't a winning team last year, again stating the obvious. if anything, smith was calling out the defense, running game, special teams, etc.. not the qb. if he said something like.. cam threw for 300+ but look at all those TOs, then he'd be calling out cam. as it was, he was calling out the entire panthers' team for losing games while their qb put up 300+ consistently.

as far as 'no one is gonna take him over Cam Newton'.. i'm not so sure. if i had to win a postseason game or two with this niner team next year, i would [probably] take smith. if i'm building for the next 10 years, i take cam. with our roster, going into the 2012 season, i'm not sure who's a better fit. cam is certainly the more talented player going forward but in terms of W-L for next season and the pressure that is playoff football, in my eyes its a toss up.

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yeah, 400 yds, 3 TDs...and 2 INTs, the last one of which loses the game.
No thanks, I'll take the game mgr. with 160 yds on a good team which hangs on to the ball and is opportunistic with TOs. In other words, I'll take the W over yds/game. Every time.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm the first one to tell you that there's much more to wins/losses than a QB throwing for 300 yards. That wasn't my point at all.

And I'm talking about when pundits and people in general last year who used Alex as an example to talk about game manager. Even Alex and Harbaugh themselves were offended. While it may not be a direct shot at Newton, I can see why Beason would get mad.

"Game manager" has a negative connotation. Find me a good QB who would want to be called a game manager.

Smith said Newton threw for 300 yards quite often. Where is the insult in that?

Beason should be offended, but he shouldn't be defending Cam. He should be offended because Smith essentially said the Panthers' defense sucked.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alex could've tried and made his (stupid) point without name dropping. He essentially said that Newton isn't a winner.

He needs to STFU, play, and realize that no one is gonna take him over Cam Newton, regardless of their records.

For fuck's sake clyde. Where did Smith compare himself as a QB to Newton at all?

It's ridiculous interpretations of comments everywhere that lead to backpedaling apologies.

He didn't essentially say Newton is not a winner. He outright said the Panthers weren't winners.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, 400 yds, 3 TDs...and 2 INTs, the last one of which loses the game.
No thanks, I'll take the game mgr. with 160 yds on a good team which hangs on to the ball and is opportunistic with TOs. In other words, I'll take the W over yds/game. Every time.

what is the sign on the middle door?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For fuck's sake clyde. Where did Smith compare himself as a QB to Newton at all?

It's ridiculous interpretations of comments everywhere that lead to backpedaling apologies.

He didn't essentially say Newton is not a winner. He outright said the Panthers weren't winners.

Yep and that all those yards were irrelevant. The accolades of having 300-yard games but losing dont mean shit. People by bugging him about yards when we won is annoying. He already talked about third downs/red zone, risks/rewards, etc. Why do yards matter if you're winning or losing (unless the lack of yards caused you to lose)? If he had said, "so what if Brady, Brees, and Rodgers get 300 consistently" then it would have dumb because any QB would like to win and throw for 300+, especially if the media had been harping on him about it. It's kind of a "if it ain't broke, don't panic" (I still think they will try to "fix it" by converting more third downs and red zone attempts).

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In agreement with Clyde here. ASmith needs only to focus on his own play. Alex thru his career has not had many 300 yrd. game period. Maybe 2? Furthermore , his 3rd down coversion ratio was horrid as well also true thruoughout his career. His TD per season..mediocre at best. Last year, his best by far, still lacked in TDs, red zone conversions, 3rd down conversions, and of course 300+ yrd games. I was appalled by how many times we settled for FGs after a turnowver. If I was a defensive guy Id be pissed we were not winning games by 30 points given the field position given the offense and the turnovers given to them. All Alex's fault? No..but the offense was at best lackluster and so pedestrian and Im sorry but a lot of that falls on the shoulders of the QB. This year, all the excuses have to stop and ASmith needs to man up and make it happen like he did in the NO game or his tenure in SF will be all but over. As far as his Cam Newton comments...well its more of an excuse for his lackluster stats..he wants us to focus only on his low ints. and the 13-3 record (mostly due to D) . The other metrics such as how many good metrics he didnt has such as 1) 300+ yd/gm...2) total passing yrds. 3) red zone convrsion ratio TD/FG 4) 3rd dn. conversions. 5) Total offense standings are not to be considered. He should not envoke any other players name especially one whose rookie comparison far outshined his own rookie season. and BTW I'm not a Cam fan in particular since Im not a Carolina person. Furthermore, if ASmith had such a good season last year due to HIS OWN PERFORMANCE he should of been snapped up in a bidding war since he was a FA this season, right? No matter what anyone says the interest was lackluster at best and non-existent at worst. ASmith was left at the altar due to his own fault (not signing a deal on the table) with regard to the Manning debacle and then recieved no further interest after .

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alex thru his career has not had many 300 yrd. game period.

That was his point. How many 300 yard games did he have last year?

I was appalled by how many times we settled for FGs after a turnowver

This has what to do with 300 yard games? If you actually looked at the full interview, you would have noticed Smith said they needed to do better on 3d down and in the red zone, not simply throw for more yards.

As far as his Cam Newton comments...well its more of an excuse for his lackluster stats..he wants us to focus only on his low ints. and the 13-3 record (mostly due to D) . The other metrics such as how many good metrics he didnt has such as 1) 300+ yd/gm...2) total passing yrds. 3) red zone convrsion ratio TD/FG 4) 3rd dn. conversions. 5) Total offense standings are not to be considered.

I honestly didn't think anyone capable of using a computer was capable of misconstruing a comment this badly. He wasn't talking about Newton. He was talking about throwing for a lot of yards. Newton was merely an example. As I said above, he also addressed 3rd down and redzone in the interview. Instead you chose to take an article by some website called "crave" as the fucking gospel.

He should not envoke any other players name especially one whose rookie comparison far outshined his own rookie season.

Good God. Every sentence you type makes you seem more ignorant. If this is your stance, you should stop talking about Smith because if we compare his rookie season to yours. . . . well, he had a rookie season. I guess that could apply to all players and fans.

Furthermore, if ASmith had such a good season last year due to HIS OWN PERFORMANCE he should of been snapped up in a bidding war since he was a FA this season, right?

Do you have anything to say about this topic, or did you feel this was a good place to get in an Alex Smith rant? Smith didn't say he outperformed Newton. He said nothing comparing the performance of Newton and himself. How the fuck can someone not understand that?

And by the way, (again) he said the team needs to improve in the red zone and on 3rd down. You're acting as if someone told him Newton was better and Smith started defending his performance by saying that he won games.

You completely missed the point of this entire fucking story. Remarkable, I know, but somehow you pulled it off. Congratulations. You may have the most stupid post of May.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Oh, hey, its that time of year where people find any little thing to nit pick on. Gotta love the offseason.

Smith comments? Who gives a flying fuck (other than Clyde and two or three others, of course)? Come on, do you really believe he had sat around thinking about what he was going to say to some stupid-ass reporters? So he name dropped sCam..boo fucking hoo.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Point is, if your career has been lackuster you dont call out others who just had a stellar rookie season by name. You could have just said 300 yrd games dont guarantee wins you need defense as well...notice no names mentioned, no teams mentioned, no name calling, ...no controversy . Brings to mind...Those who live in glass house should not throw stones. Those who dont throw for 300 yrds. should not call out those that do. Neither won the grand prize ..the super bowl..so even 13-3 and 15-1 are all for nought but 9-7 well that actually worked and the team that did that actually did throw for 300yrd games and had a defense too. (not a fan of the NYG either..just the SFG.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The real question is would we have won the Giants game and the Super Bowl if Smith would have thrown for 300 yards in them. Why compare with Cam, why didn't he compare himself with Brady and Manning... hmmm...guess it' cuz they actually made it to the Super Bowl and both have thrown for over 300 yrds multiple times through out their careers. In fact, I would guess off hand that they threw for 300 yrds. more times last year than Smith has his entire career. Does 300yrd games win ?? Well they dont generally contribute to losing...but it often takes more was his point...but since he doesnt throw for 300 often why even make the comparison? All you then get is credit for being a game manager who has to rely on the strength of his D to get his wins..so its a weak ass arguement... That being said..ASmith had a good year relative to his overall career. He at least was a good game manager last year(or Coach H was) ..better that my wildest dreams..he won most games (the bottom line) and overall is a good natured fellow...just not that talented. I am psyched for next year even with him at the helm. We got a lot faster with our FA aquisitions and Draft... something we sorely needed. We finally drafted muliple potential playmakers which Im totally down with. I actually think ASmith will have a career year next season with all the new toys he has on Offense. If he doesnt well the heir apparent will also have those same toys so I think the season will be exciting and fruitful in any case.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Point is, if your career has been lackuster you dont call out others who just had a stellar rookie season by name. You could have just said 300 yrd games dont guarantee wins you need defense as well...notice no names mentioned, no teams mentioned, no name calling, ...no controversy . Brings to mind...Those who live in glass house should not throw stones. Those who dont throw for 300 yrds. should not call out those that do. Neither won the grand prize ..the super bowl..so even 13-3 and 15-1 are all for nought but 9-7 well that actually worked and the team that did that actually did throw for 300yrd games and had a defense too. (not a fan of the NYG either..just the SFG.

He didn't call anyone out. Stop being ignorant.

It would have been really stupid to just say that 300 yard games don't lead to wins considering the success of the Patriots, Saints and Packers last season.

Just take the time to go find more of the interview and bring some context to the comments rather than just looking at some bullshit blog article by a hack trying to get hits on this fourth rate (at best) blog.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The real question is would we have won the Giants game and the Super Bowl if Smith would have thrown for 300 yards in them. Why compare with Cam, why didn't he compare himself with Brady and Manning... hmmm...guess it' cuz they actually made it to the Super Bowl and both have thrown for over 300 yrds multiple times through out their careers. In fact, I would guess off hand that they threw for 300 yrds. more times last year than Smith has his entire career. Does 300yrd games win ?? Well they dont generally contribute to losing...but it often takes more was his point...but since he doesnt throw for 300 often why even make the comparison? All you then get is credit for being a game manager who has to rely on the strength of his D to get his wins..so its a weak ass arguement... That being said..ASmith had a good year relative to his overall career. He at least was a good game manager last year(or Coach H was) ..better that my wildest dreams..he won most games (the bottom line) and overall is a good natured fellow...just not that talented. I am psyched for next year even with him at the helm. We got a lot faster with our FA aquisitions and Draft... something we sorely needed. We finally drafted muliple potential playmakers which Im totally down with. I actually think ASmith will have a career year next season with all the new toys he has on Offense. If he doesnt well the heir apparent will also have those same toys so I think the season will be exciting and fruitful in any case.

Well. let's imagine Smith did throw for 300 yards, but 3 interceptions as well. How do you think we would do?

The 49er offense this year was built around not throwing for a lot of yards.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smith got his yards when it mattered, newton got his yards in losses. it wasn't until newton stopped chucking the ball that he got some results. newton has physical talents most qb's wish they had, he just has to learn how to be a qb in the nfl.

maybe someone can send beason some 49er playoff tickets.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like Smith went into games determined not to get 300 yards because that meant a loss. Last year, he simply did what he needed to do to win the game and often that didn't require many yards. This year, our turnover margin is likely lower and people know our offense better, so I think he will be called to do more. If our threats pan out, it'll also be harder for opponents to stick to last year's offense when preparing for us. Things are looking up or out for Smith, which is a good thing for the Niners.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a change of pace and something to consider. Here are all the 300+ yard games and the winning %. (This is filtered by Win %)

Team..........QBs..........300+..........W's..........L's..........Win %
GB............Rodgers........8...............8............0...........100.0%
Bal...........Flacco..........4...............4.............0...........100.0%
Ari...........Kolb/Skel.......3...............3.............0...........100.0%
Ten.........Hasselbeck.....3...............3.............0...........100.0%
Was........Grossman.......2...............2.............0...........100.0%
NO..........Brees............13.............11............2.............84.6%
NE..........Brady............11..............9.............2.............81.8%
Atl..........Ryan..............6..............4..............2............66.7%
Det.........Stafford..........8..............5..............3............62.5%
Pit..........Roethlisbrgr.....5...............3..............2............60.0%
NYG........Manning..........8...............4.............4.............50.0%
SD..........Rivers............6...............3..............3.............50.0%
Chi.........Cutler............2................1..............1.............50.0%
Tam........Freeman........2................1..............1.............50.0%
Buf.........Fitzpatrick......3................1..............2.............33.3%
Hou........Shaub/Yates...3................1..............2.............33.3%
NYJ........Sanchez.........3................1..............2.............33.3%
Phi.........Vick/Young.....4................1..............3.............25.0%
Dal.........Romo............5................1...............4.............20.0%
Oak........Palm/Camp.....6................1..............5..............16.7%
Car.........Newton.........3................0..............3................0.0%
Cin.........Dalton...........2................0..............2................0.0%
Sea........Jackson.........2................0..............2................0.0%
StL.........Bradford........2................0..............2................0.0%
Cle.........McCoy..........1................0...............1................0.0%
Den........Orton............1................0..............1................0.0%
Ind.........Orlovsky........1................0..............1................0.0%
KC..........Orton...........1................0...............1................0.0%
Mia.........Henne..........1................0...............1................0.0%
Min.........Ponder.........1................0...............1................0.0%
Jac.........Gabbert.......0................0................0...............0.0%
SF..........Smith..........0................0................0...............0.0%
.............Totals........120..............67..............53............55.8%

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a change of pace and something to consider. Here are all the 300+ yard games and the winning %. (This is filtered by Win %)

Team..........QBs..........300+..........W's..........L's..........Win %
GB............Rodgers........8...............8............0...........100.0%
Bal...........Flacco..........4...............4.............0...........100.0%
Ari...........Kolb/Skel.......3...............3.............0...........100.0%
Ten.........Hasselbeck.....3...............3.............0...........100.0%
Was........Grossman.......2...............2.............0...........100.0%
NO..........Brees............13.............11............2.............84.6%
NE..........Brady............11..............9.............2.............81.8%
Atl..........Ryan..............6..............4..............2............66.7%
Det.........Stafford..........8..............5..............3............62.5%
Pit..........Roethlisbrgr.....5...............3..............2............60.0%
NYG........Manning..........8...............4.............4.............50.0%
SD..........Rivers............6...............3..............3.............50.0%
Chi.........Cutler............2................1..............1.............50.0%
Tam........Freeman........2................1..............1.............50.0%
Buf.........Fitzpatrick......3................1..............2.............33.3%
Hou........Shaub/Yates...3................1..............2.............33.3%
NYJ........Sanchez.........3................1..............2.............33.3%
Phi.........Vick/Young.....4................1..............3.............25.0%
Dal.........Romo............5................1...............4.............20.0%
Oak........Palm/Camp.....6................1..............5..............16.7%
Car.........Newton.........3................0..............3................0.0%
Cin.........Dalton...........2................0..............2................0.0%
Sea........Jackson.........2................0..............2................0.0%
StL.........Bradford........2................0..............2................0.0%
Cle.........McCoy..........1................0...............1................0.0%
Den........Orton............1................0..............1................0.0%
Ind.........Orlovsky........1................0..............1................0.0%
KC..........Orton...........1................0...............1................0.0%
Mia.........Henne..........1................0...............1................0.0%
Min.........Ponder.........1................0...............1................0.0%
Jac.........Gabbert.......0................0................0...............0.0%
SF..........Smith..........0................0................0...............0.0%
.............Totals........120..............67..............53............55.8%

Yep, saying Dalton would have made no sense. Alex picked the best of the no-300-yard-game-winners and the one with the worse team record. I would have preferred him not mention any names or teams, but he was basically right. With Carolina's defense, the yards didn't matter. With our defense, yards didn't matter, just when. Obviously, if yards = points per se = wins, everyone including Alex would be making that the goal. Instead, he's making wins the goal and red zone/third down conversions as the target improvement to reach that goal. Of course, these stats are inter-connected as the higher the third down conversion percentage, the more opportunity for yards (and running the clock out, I suppose, which would be rushing, not passing yards.).

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, saying Dalton would have made no sense. Alex picked the best of the no-300-yard-game-winners and the one with the worse team record. I would have preferred him not mention any names or teams, but he was basically right. With Carolina's defense, the yards didn't matter. With our defense, yards didn't matter, just when. Obviously, if yards = points per se = wins, everyone including Alex would be making that the goal. Instead, he's making wins the goal and red zone/third down conversions as the target improvement to reach that goal. Of course, these stats are inter-connected as the higher the third down conversion percentage, the more opportunity for yards (and running the clock out, I suppose, which would be rushing, not passing yards.).

That's funny - I thought precisely the same thing when I put together this list.

I mean, yeah he was right on an overall basis - This year there were 120, 300+yard games and only 56% of those games translated to victories. Another part of this whole exchange that bothered me was Smith's comment about Newton's 300 yd games not translating to victories as if his lack of 300 yard games did. Smith and the passing offense were perhaps the least responsible for our 13 victories.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is fucking hilarious. How is mentioning a player SPECIFICALLY to prove a point isn't calling THAT player out?

Obviously Panthers players took it as Alex Smith CALLING Newton out. Because he mentioned NEWTON SPECIFICALLY.

But no, he wasn't calling Newton out.

Lol.