• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith calls out Cam Newton

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PatrickWillis52
Wins are Wins I stand with My Qb Alex Smith and all my teammates. I can't wait for the season.

Willis standing up for his Qb.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith did mention Newton by name and he was correct in stating the majority of Newton's yards came while playing from behind as opposed to while tied or ahead, (B:1826/T:1124/A:1101) but he was wrong about what half those yards came in.

I don't mind Smith's newly discovered moxie, but I think a little perspective is in order. If Smith is just Harbaughing for the media - fine, but if he really believes he has arrived to the point of calling out or questioning other QB's then I think he's grossly over estimating himself.

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I never got the impression that Alex called Cam out or criticized him in any way; if anything the critique was of the Panthers as a team and how Cam was placed in the situation of having to carry the team. (I could see how Beason could take it personally) I get the feeling all Alex was saying was that in the end, success is measured by wins and not by stats. Harbaugh believes that, and for that matter I believe that too. Where are we wrong?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never got the impression that Alex called Cam out or criticized him in any way; if anything the critique was of the Panthers as a team and how Cam was placed in the situation of having to carry the team. (I could see how Beason could take it personally) I get the feeling all Alex was saying was that in the end, success is measured by wins and not by stats. Harbaugh believes that, and for that matter I believe that too. Where are we wrong?

The conversation was about Smith's lack of 300 yard games so I didn't construe his comment about the Panthers losing as anything more than a premise to the main point. I agree his overarching idea was that throwing for 300+ yards doesn't insure victories.

Here is his quote regarding Newton:

"Yeah, Cam Newton threw for a lot of 300-yard games. That's great. You're not winning, though."

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That was an awful article. I am embarrassed to see my home country of Australia written at the top of that page.
Note to self: never visit craveonline.com again.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with him saying he does not care about stats and that it is all about wins but why call out Cam Newton! :doh:

Alex Smith Knocks Cam Newton | CraveOnline

it wasn't calling out cam newton, he was making a point. newton put up his yards in losses early in the year.

jon beason is an idiot for his comments. smith getting cut? smith wasn't even on the team when we tried to get peyton. i hope beason enjoyed watching the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
He could've made his point without name dropping Cam but he wasn't calling out or trying to knock Cam. Cam was just an example of great stats don't necessarily translates into winning.

I actually like the bit of edge and attitude he had with his response and that's the sorta thing you want to see out of a QB.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shitty article or not, how was Alex NOT calling Newton out? Anytime you use someone else's name specifically to prove a point, you're calling them out. If Cam said that "winning is a team effort, take a look at how the defense and running the ball helped Alex Smith win games", everyone here would be pissed. Just like how people here were pissed last year when people were dropping Alex's name to prove the game manager point.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Shitty article or not, how was Alex NOT calling Newton out? Anytime you use someone else's name specifically to prove a point, you're calling them out. If Cam said that "winning is a team effort, take a look at how the defense and running the ball helped Alex Smith win games", everyone here would be pissed. Just like how people here were pissed last year when people were dropping Alex's name to prove the game manager point.

agreed, if the shoe was on the other foot......

for me, the only thing is dropping an actual name, everything else Alex said is fine.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Clyde, for the record people here got pissed when others would say Alex Smith is a shit-ass QB who doesn't belong in the league. I don't think many (any?) have argued with the game manager label.

Past that, this is only a knock on Newton if you think QB performance determines a team's success. Granted, a lot of people do think that way, but I guarantee Smith doesn't, he knows there are 100 factors past the QB and its flat nonsense to say the QB is winning or losing games for a team.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Agreed.

Alex should be the last to talk, he can't produce in W's or L's

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fine, he called him out if you say so. But I don't think he meant to say that Cam Newton was not good at producing, passing, or running the ball; he simply meant that 300 yard games don't equal wins, teamwork does and him doing his role to distribute the ball was his part. If the defense was playing poor or the special teams were playing shitty, Alex would have had more yards due to catch up offense or garbage time. Do we agree on that? It was actually calling out the defense if you are following his logic and know that Alex's success was in great part due to our defense.

Alex was deflecting criticism for passing yards, not for lack of third down coversions or poor red zone efficiency. He directly admitted the struggles and blame there and said they were working on it this off-season. He, wrongly used a name, but I think that came to him not because he thinks Cam is overrated, but rather that Cam did so well that he's a common name. The fallacy here is that he knows he avoided mentioning Brees, Brady, Stafford, or Rodgers. He couldn't have not named specifics without getting that rebuttal. Weak, I know.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clyde, for the record people here got pissed when others would say Alex Smith is a shit-ass QB who doesn't belong in the league. I don't think many (any?) have argued with the game manager label.

Past that, this is only a knock on Newton if you think QB performance determines a team's success. Granted, a lot of people do think that way, but I guarantee Smith doesn't, he knows there are 100 factors past the QB and its flat nonsense to say the QB is winning or losing games for a team.

I'm the first one to tell you that there's much more to wins/losses than a QB throwing for 300 yards. That wasn't my point at all.

And I'm talking about when pundits and people in general last year who used Alex as an example to talk about game manager. Even Alex and Harbaugh themselves were offended. While it may not be a direct shot at Newton, I can see why Beason would get mad.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine, he called him out if you say so. But I don't think he meant to say that Cam Newton was not good at producing, passing, or running the ball; he simply meant that 300 yard games don't equal wins, teamwork does and him doing his role to distribute the ball was his part. If the defense was playing poor or the special teams were playing shitty, Alex would have had more yards due to catch up offense or garbage time. Do we agree on that? It was actually calling out the defense if you are following his logic and know that Alex's success was in great part due to our defense.

Alex was deflecting criticism for passing yards, not for lack of third down coversions or poor red zone efficiency. He directly admitted the struggles and blame there and said they were working on it this off-season. He, wrongly used a name, but I think that came to him not because he thinks Cam is overrated, but rather that Cam did so well that he's a common name. The fallacy here is that he knows he avoided mentioning Brees, Brady, Stafford, or Rodgers. He couldn't have not named specifics without getting that rebuttal. Weak, I know.

Alex could've tried and made his (stupid) point without name dropping. He essentially said that Newton isn't a winner.

He needs to STFU, play, and realize that no one is gonna take him over Cam Newton, regardless of their records.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And really, why the fuck is he talking about a ROOKIE? You want us to pull up your rookie record, Alex?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex could've tried and made his (stupid) point without name dropping. He essentially said that Newton isn't a winner.

He needs to STFU, play, and realize that no one is gonna take him over Cam Newton, regardless of their records.

Nah, he said that the defense was no good, IMO. The team was no good. Having one QB throw for so many yards didn't change that. It's not that he said being vocal and a leader is all that is needed and Cam Newton failed.

As for the rookie record, that to me is irrelevant because the reason Newton wasn't winning was his counterparts, IMO. Alex lost in his first year due to both him and his counterparts. I don't think Alex would say that Cam was the reason they lost. Just that Cam alone isn't going to win it for them. The team does.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I don't know, that sounds like a pretty accurate assessment to me. I don't think Smith meant to indicate that Newton was a bad QB, or even that he didn't deserve to go to the pro bowl (though he very well may feel that way). But I agree, using a specific example ups the ante significantly.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

For the longterm, no. But just like Bradford last year, if I needed a guy to win a single game against a quality opponent, I might take Smith. Assuming a pretty good supporting cast. If the supporting cast was weak, I'd probably go Newton all the way. More chance of pulling a win out of his ass largely on his own.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the longterm, no. But just like Bradford last year, if I needed a guy to win a single game against a quality opponent, I might take Smith. Assuming a pretty good supporting cast. If the supporting cast was weak, I'd probably go Newton all the way. More chance of pulling a win out of his ass largely on his own.

Certainly more chance of producing better overall numbers statistically. He possibly could have higher and lower points of the season than the now controlled Smith. Then again, a lot of Smith's problems did stem from weaker supporting cast, now he doesn't have to force it to be above average. To be elite, he will need to force some. I suppose Alex learned something and that's why his highs and lows, IMO, would be somewhere between Cam's highs and lows - that's if you could consider rushing and INTs as well.