• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: ALDS: Boston Red Sox vs New York Yankees

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he most certainly did. terrible route on that ball.

I have to agree. He took a weird route, stepped toward home before he realized the ball was over his head. Would have been a really nice play, but it was playable nonetheless.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we going to hear an argument next that Pedro's relief appearance in the '04 ALCS Game 7 was a wild success?

Thank goodness Bellhorn hit a HR off Gordon the next half inning to restore a bit of order.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would actually argue that Mr Dent should be executed so the team can't possibly indulge in such silliness anymore.

The ironic thing is it wasn't Dent's HR that won the game, it was Reggie's solo shot in the 8th.

If you wanted to execute Reggie, well, who am I to judge?

:)

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering if they were going to name Buckner honorary 1st base coach.
It's cringeworthy, and I'd like to think they're better than that. But apparently not.
I was at the game in 2005 when Billy Buck threw out the first ball at Fenway and we cheered him so hard that he cried.

I was really fucking pissed about the forgiving Buckner shit...people should have been asking him for forgiveness for all the shit he took. Man was nearly a cripple by '86 and Dave Stapleton was sitting on the bench in a clear spot when a guy whose only role was as a backup defensive first baseman obviously should have been used.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree. He took a weird route, stepped toward home before he realized the ball was over his head. Would have been a really nice play, but it was playable nonetheless.
I think Clemente probably would have had it, but I don't really see a screwup by Trot on a ball that was hit really well the other way. Sure didn't hang up there very long.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My mistake, the Billy Buck first pitch was at the home opener in 2008.

I guess 2004 was still too soon...

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, by the way, Yankees? Can we stop with having Bucky Dent throw out the first pitch in elimination games against the Red Sox?

Didn't work in '04, didn't work last night. And it's f*cking cheesy as hell.

Yup. Same as making Aaron Boone your manager. You don’t run an organization based on trolling the Red Sox. Or do you?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are we still in this loser thread for losers?

Join me in the ALCS Series thread, wherever that is

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Clemente probably would have had it, but I don't really see a screwup by Trot on a ball that was hit really well the other way. Sure didn't hang up there very long.

Mookie Betts catches that while camped out below it. Trot was a little too juiced to move in those days.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess everybody can watch the video on YouTube and decide for themselves. I have never heard anybody blame Nixon for how that inning went, was watching the game and knew that Pedro was giving up a lot of hard hit balls but didn't feel like the defense was bad.
I have actually only known one Bosox fan who defended Grady, guy was an MIT grad but I sure thought he wasn't very smart with that opinion.

When it comes to evaluating defensive play, Q is a fuckin tard.

I remember him ranting about how badly an Indians' outfielder (I think Guyer) misplayed a "routine fly ball" during the 2016 WS in the funky right field corner of Wrigley with the ivy and shit.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mookie Betts catches that while camped out below it. Trot was a little too juiced to move in those days.
IDK, Mookie is a lot faster than Trot was but is also only 4' tall, so I still say it goes over his head.
If Mookie carried Eddie Gaedel and threw him up in the air at the right time, easy out!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and if he was an inch taller (I'm assuming we are talking about Gardner's misplay, correct?)

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can play "what if" for everything during this series but ESPN is talking about Nunez play to end game

"Here's one way it could have gone differently: Eduardo Nunez was playing 115 feet from home plate. The average third baseman this year, with two strikes on Gleyber Torres, played 117 feet deep.

What if Eduardo Nunez was playing 117 feet from home plate? What if he'd been playing even 116 feet away, as he had on the 1-1 pitch to Torres (but not the 0-0, 0-1 or 1-2 pitches)? The play at first would have been close. Nunez, if he didn't barehand it, if he didn't eat it, if he didn't grip it poorly and throw it down the right field line, most likely would have made a throw to first that Torres would have narrowly beaten out. The umpire might still have called Torres out, and the Red Sox might still have celebrated cautiously around the mound, but in the 116-feet-deep scenario, the Yankees would have won the challenge and the call would have been overturned. The game would have gone on.

"Believe me," Xander Bogaerts said after Tuesday night's 4-3 Division Series-clinching victory for the Red Sox, "I've played third base, and I know that play could have gone either way and it could have been a different ballgame."

Would it have been a better ballgame? With sincere and hearty congratulations to Red Sox fans -- you may be excused from this article now -- heck, yes, it would have been better, regardless of who eventually won. Forever and ever it would have been better because it would have forestalled the outcome. The outcome is always the worst part."

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the game in 2005 when Billy Buck threw out the first ball at Fenway and we cheered him so hard that he cried.

I was really fucking pissed about the forgiving Buckner shit...people should have been asking him for forgiveness for all the shit he took. Man was nearly a cripple by '86 and Dave Stapleton was sitting on the bench in a clear spot when a guy whose only role was as a backup defensive first baseman obviously should have been used.

Dave Stapleton was "that guy" in the clubhouse - the guy with the drugs. McNamara never "fingered him" about it but he was old school and did not like Stapleton.
Again, nor Buckners fault. He should have been pulled.....

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really am, just very polite. And, a little different, about a lot of things.
I have certainly had some very unpleasant interactions with Yankee fans, but I will also say some of my best and most interesting conversations at ballparks have been with followers of the evil empire.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Stapleton was "that guy" in the clubhouse - the guy with the drugs. McNamara never "fingered him" about it but he was old school and did not like Stapleton.
Again, nor Buckners fault. He should have been pulled.....

Whaaaa? I’ve never heard anything close to that about Stapleton. What’s your source(or is that a joke)?