• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFCN Hate Guide

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I think we all assumed this was true. It's a bit of a reach to say he wasn't cheap against other teams..... But, he definitely brought out the prison-level shit for the Steelers.
10 years earlier and Burfict would have been an All-Pro that everyone loved and said he played with that "edge" needed to win in the NFL.

Now you can't tackle guys without some rule being broken.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 years earlier and Burfict would have been an All-Pro that everyone loved and said he played with that "edge" needed to win in the NFL.

It also sucks that being "cheap" is his legacy - He was an incredible linebacker when in shape and motivated. Even in that infamous playoff game, the Bengals never mount that comeback with Burfict taking over the game on D. He was outstanding.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also sucks that being "cheap" is his legacy - He was an incredible linebacker when in shape and motivated. Even in that infamous playoff game, the Bengals never mount that comeback with Burfict taking over the game on D. He was outstanding.
I mean - guys like him were exactly what NFL Blitz was made from - just a bunch of defenders that looked to take off everyone's head any time they could.

Was he dirty? So were at TON of guys by the same definition - but the era of ball that others played in revered those guys, while guys like Burfict came into the league right when concussions and head hits, etc...were being phased out.

The era in which those players play skew the lens in which they are viewed, IMO...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shocked I tell ya... Shocked

Reality Tv Straw GIF by WE tv

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Burfict was wearing a Ravens, Steelers, or hell probably even a Raiders jersey he would been wearing a gold jacket right about now.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Burfict was wearing a Ravens, Steelers, or hell probably even a Raiders jersey he would been wearing a gold jacket right about now.

Come on now.

This man had one season that was worth a shit and missed 5 plus games in every season except his first 2.

He's not even in the parking lot of the hall of fame. Hell this man isn't even on the ramp to get on the expressway to drive towards the hall of fame.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burfcit would have been the same guy on any other team. He would have found other teams to want to play dirty against. And he still would have let his 0.10 cent head get in the way of winning games.

He was never going to sniff the HOF.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "highlight" film of Heinz Ward cheap shots is about three times as long as Burfict's. But, Ward was a better overall player for longer, so there is that.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "highlight" film of Heinz Ward cheap shots is about three times as long as Burfict's. But, Ward was a better overall player for longer, so there is that.
Lol... here we go again...

Believe I've said this a few times before, but I'll support those types of cheap shots any day over Burfict punching people's nuts, twisting ankles, & spitting in people's faces...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol... here we go again...

Believe I've said this a few times before, but I'll support those types of cheap shots any day over Burfict punching people's nuts, twisting ankles, & spitting in people's faces...
My overall point was that the 2nd half of your statement was the NORM about 10-15 years prior to Burfict playing - and was talked about opening and celebrated. Shit, the 90-00's were some wild rides with guys on defense who consistently played well past the line. Romanowski, Lott, Taylor, and can we be a little real...James Harrison is in that group as well. It's no secret how dirty guys are in that pile, and to date some of that still continues - though not to the same degree.

Burfict's play in general was solid - and he likely would have gotten some more run if not for the bullseye he painted on his own back by not playing within the rules - but in a different era, he's an absolute stud that every team would herald.

And - to be honest - the full statement above comes across, intentionally or not, as My guys dirty stuff is OK, but your guys is not. Just because you decided for yourself what kind of dirty play is acceptable doesn't mean that others have to adhere to that same line of thinking. Burfict just had more opportunity because he played a position that hit people on every play...but dirty is dirty - and if we're going to get into the "levels" of how dirty something is...then we can agree on the premise that dirty is dirty...it's a matter of preference how much is tolerated.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was also doing things within the rules. The rules changed because of him, and he changed with it.

Burfict played like he was in the '90's.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was also doing things within the rules. The rules changed because of him, and he changed with it.

The last part there is exactly my premise. In another era - dude would have been celebrated.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last part there is exactly my premise. In another era - dude would have been celebrated.
I don't disagree. Problem is in the era he played in, he let his empty head get in the way and ruined games for his team.

But put him on a more celebrated team like Steelers, instead of the Bengals and he would still have been a jackass loser. You need a time machine to make him look good.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree. Problem is in the era he played in, he let his empty head get in the way and ruined games for his team.

But put him on a more celebrated team like Steelers, instead of the Bengals and he would still have been a jackass loser. You need a time machine to make him look good.
Don't disagree - dude had issues...LOL

Imagine him and Antonio Brown hangin' out....HAHA

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He'd need to play in the 70's.....

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd need to play in the 70's.....
Nah, he, LT, Romanowski, et-al would have gotten along splendidly in the 90's...after all - they created a very successful video game (NFL Blitz) off the backs of defenders who played past the 'line'.