• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFCN Hate Guide

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, like you said, this is a painful injury. He is out there giving it his all to help the Browns succeed and playing through the pain. He is willing to throw blocks for his teammates.(1) He is injured because he is not a selfish player, but a football player that wants to win a team sport. Anything he can do to help he is willing to do it. (2) I bet if the team needed him to play LB, he would be willing to play both ways to help them win. Baker just seems like that type of guy to me the more I read about him.

I think the Browns are very lucky to have Baker, and I think with a 100% healthy Baker Mayfield, they have a damn good QB capable of winning playoff games, as proven last year. (3) However, when you have half your stars sitting out from week to week because of injury or covid and a QB who is injured on his non-throwing shoulder, and now his leg...it is going to be rough sledding. Baker will be healthy next year in his 5th year, he will ball out and you will probably have to pay a bit more for waiting, but either way, I think the Browns are better off with Baker than without him.

My question is, who are the Browns going to get that is better with a mid to lower 1st round pick, or available in FA?

1. If he does that again the team should fine him (he's too important to the team to get injured again)

2. I keep in touch with family & friends back home in NE Ohio all the time. And they have said there's no question he's all about the team. Even said he doesn't want to be treated differently just because he plays the most important position on the field

3. Like I mentioned I won't say anything about the injuries. Seen too many people says since injuries happen to all teams it's not that big of a factor. Don't feel like getting into another back & forth about the topic.

4. Browns won't be in a position to have a high pick to select a QB. And any rookie QB would be a big step backwards from Mayfield. A rookie isn't the answer. And a FA. Highly doubt it. I can't think of a single QB they could possibly get that would magically improve things.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point. They didn't need to sign him, Then Steelers could have cut bait sooner on Brown and the Raiders didn't need to trade for him.
Yep. Steelers didn't just hand that man 1 contract, but 2... His 2nd making him the highest paid WR in the league at that time. They knew what baggage he carried and what sort of asshole he was in the lockerroom. I applaud them for getting a 3rd in a trade, and wished for more. But we knew the Steelers weren't going to trade him to any divisional rival or AFC contender. The Raiders fit the dysfunctional bill and weren't considered a contender.

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, like you said, this is a painful injury. He is out there giving it his all to help the Browns succeed and playing through the pain. He is willing to throw blocks for his teammates. He is injured because he is not a selfish player, but a football player that wants to win a team sport. Anything he can do to help he is willing to do it. I bet if the team needed him to play LB, he would be willing to play both ways to help them win. Baker just seems like that type of guy to me the more I read about him.

I think the Browns are very lucky to have Baker, and I think with a 100% healthy Baker Mayfield, they have a damn good QB capable of winning playoff games, as proven last year. However, when you have half your stars sitting out from week to week because of injury or covid and a QB who is injured on his non-throwing shoulder, and now his leg...it is going to be rough sledding. Baker will be healthy next year in his 5th year, he will ball out and you will probably have to pay a bit more for waiting, but either way, I think the Browns are better off with Baker than without him.

My question is, who are the Browns going to get that is better with a mid to lower 1st round pick, or available in FA?
You make it sound as though the Browns offense can't function without him. Case Keenum disproved that. And hasn't D'Ernest Johnson been playing very well this year? The offense hasn't really skipped a beat when Mayfield, Chubb &/or Hunt went down.

I do believe that if the Browns had a better defense they would likely be winning the division right now. So I can see the case to be made for keeping Baker.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Equal blame really... But Im only lookin at it from a business standpoint right now. A leopard doesn't change it spots... The fact of the matter is that the Browns accepted accountability for this guy as soon as they decided to take on the risk of acquiring him. Its kind of like marrying a gold-digger without a prenup, or buying a used car with 200k miles on it. You have to be willing to accept a shit ton of risk that never goes away.

I'm not acquitting OBJ of his actions though. He is 110% a piece of sh!t, and deserves misfortune to come his way. But the fact remains that the Browns were willing to take on that risk. I'm not going to give them a pass for turning around and crying about it when it goes south.

And much like AB and his exodus, I still point fingers at the Steelers for creating & enabling that monster. They did an admirable job of maintaining that POS, but they still had a big hand in creating who he ended up being. I admit I was in denial of it at first, mainly because we didn't know the entire picture and what went on for years behind closed doors.

Great comment. And good call on AB. You already know all about a team dealing with a diva WR.

One thing I haven't mentioned is while I hold OBJ accountable for some things there's no question Browns brass mishandled the situation. Looking back at it maybe they should have looked to trade him before the season. After all they had some good success without him last season.

And with how things ended between both sides I can't imagine this is something that happened this season. There had to be some issues behind the scenes leading up to all of this.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make it sound as though the Browns offense can't function without him. Case Keenum disproved that. And hasn't D'Ernest Johnson been playing very well this year? The offense hasn't really skipped a beat when Mayfield, Chubb &/or Hunt went down.

I do believe that if the Browns had a better defense they would likely be winning the division right now. So I can see the case to be made for keeping Baker.

D'Ernest Johnson is making the very best of the situation. He's looked great both starts. Yesterday 19 carries for 99 yards. And 146 on 22 carries three weeks ago.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great comment. And good call on AB. You already know all about a team dealing with a diva WR.

One thing I haven't mentioned is while I hold OBJ accountable for some things there's no question Browns brass mishandled the situation. Looking back at it maybe they should have looked to trade him before the season. After all they had some good success without him last season.

And with how things ended between both sides I can't imagine this is something that happened this season. There had to be some issues behind the scenes leading up to all of this.
Couple of compounding factors that may have deterred an offseason trade. 1st being the torn ACL. Had he not been injured the Browns could have received a king's ransom for him so accepting anything less was hard to stomach. 2nd being a new coach likely wants to maintain a certain level of cohesion. Especially with their up-and-coming QB. The nucleus they built had sky-high potential, and the risk of losing a part of it might have been too risky in their eyes. And maybe Baker even had a say. And lastly, I don't think the Browns could have foreseen what transpired. How quickly OBJ went from content to disgruntled & forcing his way out basically tied the FO's hands behind its back. It's a scary side to this business when the players are shoveled out all these guarantees. They no longer mind forfeiting a year's salary just to get out of a situation where they aren't happy. You always want to give someone the benefit of the doubt and hope they stay professional through it all, but that day & age is practically gone and likely to continue to get worse.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Steelers didn't just hand that man 1 contract, but 2... His 2nd making him the highest paid WR in the league at that time. They knew what baggage he carried and what sort of asshole he was in the lockerroom. I applaud them for getting a 3rd in a trade, and wished for more. But we knew the Steelers weren't going to trade him to any divisional rival or AFC contender. The Raiders fit the dysfunctional bill and weren't considered a contender.
I guess the Steelers never learn.....

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a lot of substance to that claim so I wouldn't invest too much into it. Colbert almost always throws out a call to see what the market is. Doesn't mean he made an offer. Its better to do the due-diligence than to wait & find out a player went for peanuts.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of compounding factors that may have deterred an offseason trade. 1st being the torn ACL. Had he not been injured the Browns could have received a king's ransom for him so accepting anything less was hard to stomach. 2nd being a new coach likely wants to maintain a certain level of cohesion. Especially with their up-and-coming QB. The nucleus they built had sky-high potential, and the risk of losing a part of it might have been too risky in their eyes. And maybe Baker even had a say. And lastly, I don't think the Browns could have foreseen what transpired. How quickly OBJ went from content to disgruntled & forcing his way out basically tied the FO's hands behind its back. It's a scary side to this business when the players are shoveled out all these guarantees. They no longer mind forfeiting a year's salary just to get out of a situation where they aren't happy. You always want to give someone the benefit of the doubt and hope they stay professional through it all, but that day & age is practically gone and likely to continue to get worse.

Looking at his numbers he's had two careers in one. Never really looked at his numbers before but kinda crazy. First three years was one of the elite WR's. Almost 300 catches, 4,000+ yards & 35 TD's. Three 1,300 yard seasons. Next five years. 216 / 2,940 / 16. Two 1,000 yard seasons. And has only played all 16 games twice in his career ('16 & '19). He can't stay healthy.

He has everything he needs to revive his career. But if the past is any indication of what's to come OBJ might have some issues again.

Not gonna hate on the guy or anything. Hope L.A.'s the right place for him. When healthy he's talented. But with the Browns style of offense he really wasn't a good fit.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay I figured out how the Browns can instantly upgrade at QB. A nice in-state trade. Mayfield for Burrow straight up. Thoughts?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FEPiNTgXEAoYM2h

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a lot of substance to that claim so I wouldn't invest too much into it. Colbert almost always throws out a call to see what the market is. Doesn't mean he made an offer. Its better to do the due-diligence than to wait & find out a player went for peanuts.
Oh I know but if they price was right they would have made an offer.
Granted it would have been the worst match ever since OBJ would not want to catch 10 screen passes a game.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted it would have been the worst match ever since OBJ would not want to catch 10 screen passes a game.
I think it would have been exciting to say the least... If not for just getting to watch Cam Heyward put that child in his place on the sidelines.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea if he was willing to accept a 1-yr deal then you'd be crazy not to call. No long term commitments.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have loved to see OBJ's dad shittalk Mason Rudolph on Twitter after that game.

Imagine if it was OBJ trying to scoop up that short hop in the grass in the end zone.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 102.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Love the comment section.....I referenced Bubby Brister yesterday in the week 10 thread which is never a good thing......