• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A. Smith DUI AGAIN

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have said Corners, not DBs. Our Corners are terrible. We lost the only productive ones we had. I'll believe Bowman's back when I see him play and how well he plays. That was a horrific injury.
Tramaine Brock is not horrible. He is at least as good as the two corners that were starting last year. Wright might be an issue on the other side as he was crappy in San Diego. The 49ers drafted several corners and so far most have looked pretty good. Will have to see how they play in a game

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tramaine Brock is not horrible. He is at least as good as the two corners that were starting last year. Wright might be an issue on the other side as he was crappy in San Diego. The 49ers drafted several corners and so far most have looked pretty good. Will have to see how they play in a game

Yes. That will be the tell.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know you're being overly optimistic, but did you really think this team was going to be competitive with a chance at the playoffs this year? With Smith, AND avoiding the injury bug, I wouldn't have given this team better than a 5-11 record. Without Smith, I'd guess the Niners will be drafting top 3 in 2016. They've just lost way too much (leadership, talent, coaching, motivation, morale), and nothing they've done this offseason inspires any confidence. The Defense has taken significant steps backwards, and as bad as the Offense has been the last three years, I think people will be clamoring for Roman after seeing this unit lead the league in 3-and-outs this season.

Assuming it's going to take 10 wins to make the playoffs in the NFC (and that might be low), I don't see where those 10 wins come from. The Vikings at home might be possible, but I wouldn't count that as a gimme. Peterson will likely drop 200 yards on the D. After that, I don't see a realistically winnable game until possibly the Falcons in week 9, or the Bears in week 13 (though I'd be shocked if the Bears aren't greatly improved from the team that beat us last year, based on nothing more than the coaching change).

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I think the only way we're competitive for the playoffs is if the NFL starts counting blowout losses as wins.

Admittedly a playoff run would have been a best-case scenario, but I don't think it was as preposterous as you make it out to be. Last year's team should have won 10 games; two of the losses were extremely fluky, one ending with a fumble into the opponent's endzone on a sneak and the other a 20+ point comeback that effectively ended with a fumble just shy of FG range in OT. That was with a D that was decimated by injuries and an offense that was epically bad in the second half of games.

This year, with a healthy and motivated Aldon, a healthy Bowman, Brooks rounding back into form, our safety duo continuing to develop, and Brock, Williams, and Dorsey staying healthy, our D absolutely had top-5 potential. I still think the D has a good shot of being top-10, even without Aldon. The big question is the offense, and the OL is a major concern, but if Davis returns to form, Torrey Smith can stretch the field, and we stop playing so dumb, it's reasonable to think they could be better than last year. In our division, that could still result in a 6-10 record or worse, but I don't see games against the Rams, Cards, Giants, Bears, Browns, etc. as sure losses by any means, even now.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I should have said Corners, not DBs. Our Corners are terrible. We lost the only productive ones we had. I'll believe Bowman's back when I see him play and how well he plays. That was a horrific injury.

When healthy, Brock was better than Culliver or Cox.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers shouldnt have released Aldon Smith - C.W. Nevius Blog

i'm not agreeing with this writer at all, but wondering about the "paying him minimum salary" while he waits out 2015? i would think they have to work within the contract in place. i don't think they could switch it to minimum wage.
This writer is a bone head. Im sorry but anything he said makes no sense. 1st of all the 49ers are still helping him and Coach or baalke have talked to him almost every day. We cut him but we didn't leave him. We are by his side. We cut him to make a stand but that doesn't mean we wouldn't re sign him. He knows the 49ers have been by his side.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our CBs are going to be very solid and if I was wrong about Wright and he continues to play like he has our starting CBs will be good.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admittedly a playoff run would have been a best-case scenario, but I don't think it was as preposterous as you make it out to be. Last year's team should have won 10 games; two of the losses were extremely fluky, one ending with a fumble into the opponent's endzone on a sneak and the other a 20+ point comeback that effectively ended with a fumble just shy of FG range in OT. That was with a D that was decimated by injuries and an offense that was epically bad in the second half of games.

This year, with a healthy and motivated Aldon, a healthy Bowman, Brooks rounding back into form, our safety duo continuing to develop, and Brock, Williams, and Dorsey staying healthy, our D absolutely had top-5 potential. I still think the D has a good shot of being top-10, even without Aldon. The big question is the offense, and the OL is a major concern, but if Davis returns to form, Torrey Smith can stretch the field, and we stop playing so dumb, it's reasonable to think they could be better than last year. In our division, that could still result in a 6-10 record or worse, but I don't see games against the Rams, Cards, Giants, Bears, Browns, etc. as sure losses by any means, even now.

And last year, Aldon was not effective as a pass rusher.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When healthy, Brock was better than Culliver or Cox.
Perhaps, but he did not perform like Cox did when given the opportunity. But I looked at a list of players that have left the 49ers in the last year and I could build a team that could win six games just with those guys. To think that the 49ers will not be seriously hurt by this exodus of talent and leadership is crazy.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, but he did not perform like Cox did when given the opportunity. But I looked at a list of players that have left the 49ers in the last year and I could build a team that could win six games just with those guys. To think that the 49ers will not be seriously hurt by this exodus of talent and leadership is crazy.

Actually that is not true. When Brock started, he played better than Cox and had a high rating from PFF. We don't know how this will play out

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The fact that the prior coaching staff (Fangio and Donatell) saw Brock as their primary starting corner and waived Cox ( and Seattle waived Cox thereafter) should tell you something about Cox. While I like what Cox did last year, there is not a comparison.

Paying His Dues
In 2011, he won the nickel cornerback job out of camp, but broke his hand in Week 2 against the Cowboys and by the time he was healthy he had lost his job to rookie Chris Culliver. Brock saw very little action defensively the rest of the year until he had to play 29 snaps in the NFC Championship Game, against the New York Giants, after Tarell Brown went out with an injury. Brock only allowed three catches for 27 yards, but one of those catches was a 17-yard touchdown to Mario Manningham which put the Giants ahead in the fourth quarter.
Culliver held on to the nickel role throughout the 2012 season and into training camp in 2013, where he tore his ACL early in camp and was lost for the season, leaving Brock and newly-signed veteran Nnamdi Asomugha to fight it out for the nickel spot.
Asomugha beat out Brock in training camp for the third corner job, but was mediocre at best the first three weeks of the year (-3.9 overall grade) before hurting his knee late in Week 3 against Indianapolis, opening up the nickel job for Brock.

Getting His Chance
Brock seized upon the opportunity right away, playing 46 snaps in Week 4 versus the Rams as the fifth defensive back. He allowed only three catches for 24 yards with two pass breakups, while earning a +2.0 grade.
The following week against the Houston Texans, Brock had his finest game of the year, picking off Matt Schaub’s first pass of the game and returning it for a touchdown, and then adding a second interception of Schaub later in the half. Brock tallied a +2.5 coverage grade for the night, was named NFC Defensive Player of the Week, and solidified his role as the nickel back going forward.
Brock continued to excel in his nickel role through Week 11, including solid games in Week 7 against Tennessee (+2.5) and in Week 10 versus Carolina (+1.4). Through the Week 11 game against New Orleans, Brock had allowed only 330 receiving yards in coverage, and a 71.1 passer rating when targeted. In that New Orleans game, starting corner Tarell Brown went down with an injury, and Brock was thrust into a starting role.

Making the Most of His Opportunity
Brock played every defensive snap in Weeks 12-14, earning a cumulative overall grade of +4.8 for the three games, while allowing only 54 yards in coverage. When Tarell Brown was healthy enough to return in Week 15, Brown came back in a nickel role, while Brock stayed as the starter at right cornerback.
The 49ers had seen enough of Brock to know he was going to be an important piece going forward, and late in November they signed Brock to a four-year, $16 million extension, keeping him under contract until 2017.
Brock finished the 2013 regular season with a +8.1 coverage grade, which ranked ninth among qualifying cornerbacks. His 55.4% catch rate also ranked in the top third of cornerbacks, and he missed only two tackles during the regular season.
He was only flagged once on defense in all of 2013, an illegal use of hands call while matched up against Harry Douglas late in the fourth quarter against Atlanta in Week 16. Brock immediately atoned for the error a few minutes later, jumping a Douglas route and knocking the ball into the air and eventually the hands of NaVorro Bowman, who took it 89 yards to the house, sealing a 49ers victory and a playoff berth.
While it’s safe to say the 49ers weakest position going into the 2014 season is at cornerback, the one starting position that is set in stone is Tramaine Brock on the outside. With his play in 2013, and the 49ers faith in him with a contract extension that includes $7 million in guaranteed money, Brock should be a fixture in the defensive backfield for several years to come.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually that is not true. When Brock started, he played better than Cox and had a high rating from PFF. We don't know how this will play out
Hmm. I'm not sure there was a player, period, on the defense who had a bigger impact than Cox did. he played surprisingly well.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Of course all the losses will hurt. But the Niners have been collecting young players with potential for years. They were one of the deepest teams in the league, and were able to absorb more losses than most teams could. We need those young guys to start stepping up, though. And even if they do, no team could absorb those losses without hurting.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course all the losses will hurt. But the Niners have been collecting young players with potential for years. They were one of the deepest teams in the league, and were able to absorb more losses than most teams could. We need those young guys to start stepping up, though. And even if they do, no team could absorb those losses without hurting.
Ya, its not just the skill of some of those players its the leadership we've lost. Guys like Gore, Willis and Justin Smith were the core leaders of the team and all are gone. They were the identity of the team. Perhaps only Boldin is left as a guy everyone respects and looks to as an example of how to play the game.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm. I'm not sure there was a player, period, on the defense who had a bigger impact than Cox did. he played surprisingly well.

Cox exceeded my expectations. He played well the first part of the season but his play really dropped during the second half. The QBs passer rating against him was over 100 for the second half of the year. If you add Brock and subtract Cox it is a net gain.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, its not just the skill of some of those players its the leadership we've lost. Guys like Gore, Willis and Justin Smith were the core leaders of the team and all are gone. They were the identity of the team. Perhaps only Boldin is left as a guy everyone respects and looks to as an example of how to play the game.

True they were all great leaders but at what point do you keep them. I think Patrick Willis still had a couple more years in him but even then his effectiveness was limited by his toe. Willis said so himself. Gore is 32 years old with a lot of miles on him. Cowboy is beat up pretty bad. He has been contemplating retirement for at least a couple of years. At some point, you have to move on. I guarantee you if Walsh was coach he would have moved on already.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cox exceeded my expectations. He played well the first part of the season but his play really dropped during the second half. The QBs passer rating against him was over 100 for the second half of the year. If you add Brock and subtract Cox it is a net gain.
Fair enough. My assessment was simply from watching him play and the turnovers he created. I didn't look at him statistically.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True they were all great leaders but at what point do you keep them. I think Patrick Willis still had a couple more years in him but even then his effectiveness was limited by his toe. Willis said so himself. Gore is 32 years old with a lot of miles on him. Cowboy is beat up pretty bad. He has been contemplating retirement for at least a couple of years. At some point, you have to move on. I guarantee you if Walsh was coach he would have moved on already.
Agreed, but that is not going to make the loss of those guys any less painful. They will be sorely missed and the fact that they all left at the same time only compounds the problem.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our Defense is faster and younger. This good be a good thing.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but that is not going to make the loss of those guys any less painful. They will be sorely missed and the fact that they all left at the same time only compounds the problem.
Leaving at the same time might be a blessing in the skies. Let the young kids learn together. I think by year end this team is going much better then when they started.

They are going to shock some teams.