• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A letter to Redskins fans Monday night

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a note to Skinsdad...........Hey Dad in our conversation (Shark and I) we used you as an example in one aspect of the same. No intentional, unintentional, covert, or any sort of malice was intended. On behalf of both of us, I ask that you see this use of you and yours in the manner that it was intended. Thanks!!!

none taken :suds:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, it is an embarrassment of hubris to suggest that 90% of fans want the epithet to stay when that epithet does not relate to them! What would you say if the general population favored the "N" word?

On your last point, it is a false dichotomy to say Native Americans have to decide between either working on problems like poverty or being concerned about a dictionary defined racial slur. By juxtaposing that, you seem to be trying to say that you can't do both.

if ," IF" were a 5th we all would be drunk . the "N" word isnt in play here at all

no one names their team after something they hate and marshall hated african americans

no one is saying an american indian has to choose anything . what i am saying is most people of all walks of life dont feel the name is an issue and that it is more important to fix other indian issues

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it important to fix "indian issues," "black issues," "gay issues," or "white issues?"

How about we let people live their lives and screw them up as they see fit? Alcoholism is not limited to "indians" and welfare if not limited to "blacks."

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it important to fix "indian issues," "black issues," "gay issues," or "white issues?"

How about we let people live their lives and screw them up as they see fit? Alcoholism is not limited to "indians" and welfare if not limited to "blacks."

Nah - don't see anything wrong with addressing a particular community like reservations for the Native American communities. If you choose to go in another direction - NP - but this doesn't have to apply to everyone else. Different people choose to apply their time and money to different causes, people, etc. Nothing wrong with that.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent debate on the issue here...Good read

As an outside fan of football in general, I ask myself the question..."Why did it take D Snyder this long to address the naming issue and a call for a Charity to be started?"

Was it because it is getting to hot in the kitchen now?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah - don't see anything wrong with addressing a particular community like reservations for the Native American communities. If you choose to go in another direction - NP - but this doesn't have to apply to everyone else. Different people choose to apply their time and money to different causes, people, etc. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't either with private funds. I shouldn't have any say where your money should go and nobody should have a say to where my money goes.

When you start using "tax-payer" money...then I have a problem because that's my money.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As an outside fan of football in general, I ask myself the question..."Why did it take D Snyder this long to address the naming issue and a call for a Charity to be started?"

Who cares what his motivation is? The whole discussion is ignorant.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to real careful in wording this response, because there are a couple of things that are happening that are polar opposites with regards to Mr. Snyder's' offering. The first is remarkable in its' bold intent to do something inspired by the controversy surrounding the team name. Charity, no matter how it is inspired....is a great thing, it once was tightly interwoven in the fabric of this country but now seems frayed in its' application for various reasons. I applaud Mr. Snyder for his efforts to study, understand and create new initiatives that help those who cannot help themselves. Oddly, his letter addressed to Washington football nation, was stocked with references to "Native Americans" instead of "by staying true to our history and honoring the deep and enduring values our name represents." using the name in question. The letter can be found here.

Daniel Snyder announces foundation to help Native American tribes

PR 101, Snyder doesnt give 2 shits about the native americans or anything they've been through...why is he all of a sudden concerned about them after owning the team for 15 years? he isnt, he perceives that the movement for the 'skins to change their name is gaining traction, so he counters with this "see look what i'm doing, i really care"

charity is good and all, but this is just a straight 100% PR move, nothing more, nothing less

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PR 101, Snyder doesnt give 2 shits about the native americans or anything they've been through...why is he all of a sudden concerned about them after owning the team for 15 years? he isnt, he perceives that the movement for the 'skins to change their name is gaining traction, so he counters with this "see look what i'm doing, i really care"

charity is good and all, but this is just a straight 100% PR move, nothing more, nothing less

What have "American Indians" been through today that isn't self-inflicted?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Admittedly its a PR move. However the whole they must change their name movement is all about money any way. I would think they have alot more that actually impact them than the name of a football team. Does every black man in America have a right to file suite against the rap group NWA for their use of the N word in thier group name?? When 90% plus of the actual Native Americans polled repeatedly have said they could care less about the team name, Im sorry its just not that big an issue or at least it shouldnt be.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admittedly its a PR move. However the whole they must change their name movement is all about money any way. I would think they have alot more that actually impact them than the name of a football team. Does every black man in America have a right to file suite against the rap group NWA for their use of the N word in thier group name?? When 90% plus of the actual Native Americans polled repeatedly have said they could care less about the team name, Im sorry its just not that big an issue or at least it shouldnt be.

i agree, i dont care about the name

but the rap group NWA was a bunch of black guys...the redskins are a bunch of white and black guys using the redskins term...so it's a little different, but i agree, the name is not a big deal

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

but the rap group NWA was a bunch of black guys...the redskins are a bunch of white and black guys using the redskins term...so it's a little different, but i agree, the name is not a big deal

The difference has nothing to do with who is saying it. If the word is offensive, it's offensive out of all mouths. Equality remember.

The difference is the NFL has an anti-trust exemption and a tax-free organization; therefore, the government has a say in the matter.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fair enough but please address Shark's point about the majority of Native Americans not being offended by the name. All that I generally see is some white (or sometimes black) media type making a lot of noise on this issue and the occasional token Native American spokesperson who basically appears to represent himself and 2 or 3 other people.

Please show some proof about this being offensive to the majority (or even a large #) of Native Americans. Once again - if the name changes so be it. However - I think that most of this is total BS by the media in a lame attempt to draw attention to themselves and fill air space.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you have ever worked in a charitable organization or organized any kind of fundraiser you would realize that the majority of money raised for charity is for PR purposes. I organized a few events years ago & was amazed at how companies would only sponsor things if they received a significant amt of advertising or PR. They really didn't care much about the charity. The exception would most likely be someone who was or had friends/relatives who were the beneficiaries of the charity.

Such is life & in the end it doesn't matter if the end result helps people.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for equal treatment within our court system.

1) If you are convicted of murder...you die.
2) If you are convicted of r*pe...you die.
3) If you are convicted of distribution...you die.

equal treatment is fine with me.

I wasn't born until the mid 70s. Do you really think it's fair to those born after "the perceived crimes of the time" to give a "leg up" to those who were born after that same time but never felt the effects?

Pick youself up...put an emphasis on the family...put an emphasis on education...stop looking for excuses.

You do realize that #1 and #2 means that your grandparents can now be bought up on charges of either participating or being complicit in either of those crimes don't you?

In as much as #3 is concerned, you've just indicted and convicted the Reagan administration.

BTW: I sincerely doubt that you will live to see the day that there is equality in our justice system, especially with respect to those that you've listed and many many others.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference has nothing to do with who is saying it. If the word is offensive, it's offensive out of all mouths. Equality remember.

The difference is the NFL has an anti-trust exemption and a tax-free organization; therefore, the government has a say in the matter.

Agreed

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The conversation on this subject has been quite lively as you've said, it is however, beginning to stray away from the core issue.

I wanted to be charitable in my initial posting and decided not to suggest that it has taken Mr. Snyder 15 years to get to this point in his enlightenment. It is a good point, but let me suggest this. Mr. Snyder may or may not be concerned about the heat being placed upon him, he does however have to be concerned about a possible revolt against renaming his franchise, as is clearly the case in this thread.

For many this issue was prior to his letter, relatively quiet. So what does Mr. Snyder do? He makes a public statement, which he knows will clearly generate the passions that come with this topic. That letter has also bought in negative comments about his motivations as well. In psychology we call that facing your fears, a process that allows one or a group to engender all of the human emotion that the fear elicits. The end result is everyone has their say, that fear is faced and no longer as frightening as first thought to be, the name is changed and the outcry muted.

There will be some who will and have promised to realign their loyalties to another team, however, the therapy has done it's job and a greater percentage will make peace with whichever name* replaces the current one.

*There will be inclusive name change polls, maybe even a contest.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that #1 and #2 means that your grandparents can now be bought up on charges of either participating or being complicit in either of those crimes don't you?

In as much as #3 is concerned, you've just indicted and convicted the Reagan administration.

BTW: I sincerely doubt that you will live to see the day that there is equality in our justice system, especially with respect to those that you've listed and many many others.

1 + 2...what are you talking about?

3...um...nope.