• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Church group votes to boycott Redskins over name

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't have to rub salt in anyone's wounds. I'm all for Native American assistance (we owe it to them) but that doesn't mean we have the right to mock them and exploit them as well.

We don't owe them anything but what the rest of us get. A guarantee of Life, Liberty and the PURSUIT of Happiness (this pursuit thing is becoming an increasing lost point). What we need to do is get the fuck out of their way and let them make themselves what ever they want to be. Just like the rest of us. We need people like you to stop telling them what to be or how to think. Especially you, for what I have read, you don't have a clue, but you have no problem spouting off.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there is reason to change the name, either. It won't be ticket sales that will hurt Dan. One person drops off, another 10 are in line. It will be sponsors, networks, and players. Sponsors and Networks is where the big money is. TV rights, merchandise, etc. When sponsors get pressured to cave, they go to the Networks (ESPN for example) and say no more ads on your networks as long as you broadcast Redskins games. More than one do this and I can promise you it will have a direct impact. Also, as soon as one prominent Redskin player says he can't play for the skins any more as long as they support racism (their words, not mine) and watch how the team falls apart. Some will support Dan, some will be vocal for the player. Some may even join the player.

This is how Dan gets pressured to change the name, its not from some boneheaded Reverend directly.

That tactic might work for another league (e.g. NBA) or another product, but I don't think that it will work with the NFL - not at this time. If say ESPN caves in then the NFL can go look for another network & not miss a beat. I also think that most sponsors don't want to miss out on exposure for NFL games which have extremely high numbers.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't have to rub salt in anyone's wounds. I'm all for Native American assistance (we owe it to them) but that doesn't mean we have the right to mock them and exploit them as well.

So - since "we" should all feel so guilty have you donated any $$ or time yet to Native American causes or are you - like the politicians - just rambling on about this? Talk is cheap. If not - click the links I provided and start actually making a difference for these folks.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but this provides plenty of ammo for fans of other teams to relentlessly taunt Redskin players and fans for being the most racist organization in all of pro sports. Enjoy :suds:

Yawwwnnnn. As Redskins fans - we have been mocked for numerous reasons in the past. Who cares. You just basically pointed out that other fans will be very insincere and still do this - not because they feel that the Redskin name is racist but rather because they are complete morons!

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said you should feel guilty (guilt is a personal thing), just that other fans have the right to hold this against the Redskins and all their fans.

Again - have you donated $$ or time to Native Americans? That is the real issue & if you are so concerned you should be helping out. That is much more important than worrying about mocking Redskins fans.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - do you think that I give a shit what a Steelers, Seahawks, Cowboys, Eagles or any other fan thinks about the Redskins or those of us who are Redskins fans? Why should I? No offense to anyone & there are plenty of decent people (including on this board) who root for other teams. However - I am not going to lose sleep worrying about what they think of me or the team.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said you should feel guilty (guilt is a personal thing), just that other fans have the right to hold this against the Redskins and all their fans.

IF guilt is such a personal thing, why is there such a push to make others feel as guilty as some of you apparently are over a team name?? Guilt has become a national pass time for this country. If we dont particularly care for the gay lifestyle, well we should feel guilty for not being understanding enough. reality is, this is just the latest social ISSUE being used to distract the masses from the real problems in this country.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Herring argument, one does not nullify the other, just an attempt to distract from the topic at hand.

Translation - no I have never given a dollar nor any of my time to Native American causes. I just like to run off at the mouth on the subject and try to make others feel bad about it.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good, we don't care what Redskin fans think either, we'll relentlessly taunt you anyways.

Works for me & I especially don't care about the Steelers since they are in the AFC & only play the Skins every 4 years.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and we'll have fun taunting you for it as well.

Have fun with that. Also proves that you never cared about the name. It was just your childish attempt to taunt fans of a team that is not even your rival.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JDM! Where you been? Comeback to the general board, they're missing you over there!

Missing me? I doubt that.

I was banned for a bit, then just haven't had the time.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, I started this whole movement to change the Redskins name :rollseyes:

Never said you started it, but you come on here and espouse a position and yet don't back it up with any data. We have asked you repeatedly on another thread to show us the data you used to support the "fact" that the Native American community is against the name. We showed you poll after poll. We showed you a list of Native American high schools that use the mascot Redskins. You come back with a link to a couple of politicians and one Native American who has been disowned by his own tribe due to dishonorable actions. The reality of the situation is this is all a PC movement by non NAs, trying to force a name chance because it looks good on their resume or it makes them feel good. And you are right in that mix. You think you are on the right side of morality so you support it. The hell with the real problems facing NAs. Lets go after the superficial ones so we can feel good about ourselves. This crap exemplifies what is wrong with our country today. All we are concerned about is appearance, not substance.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, well then we better change the name. We don't want to get taunted by the likes of you.

Especially an idiot that goes by the name "Doobster" - please. I am pretty sure that he won't give any money to the Native Americans since he probably doesn't have a dime to his name.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,768.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they need to switch the name already it is getting a little out of hand

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially an idiot that goes by the name "Doobster" - please. I am pretty sure that he won't give any money to the Native Americans since he probably doesn't have a dime to his name.

Uh, no. He will not give money or any support. He will bitch, but he wants someone else to pay for it. Typical

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they need to switch the name already it is getting a little out of hand

So by that logic, when vocal support of IDIOCY gets 'out of hand', regardless of whether points being debated are valid or using real facts, people should just cave regarding an issue? Why? Cuz your tired of hearing about it? This franchise is being accused of rasicm and it is an unjust accusation. Why should we just 'cave' with no fight?

My biggest problem with this is the motivation behind this movement. To me, it's become less about the name at this point and more about infringing on civil liberties by the PC police.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should boycott the U.S. military and why we use Apache helicopters and also the Chrysler corporation for having a jeep Cherokee

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok , some of you have noticed i have deleted your posts

that is step one , if you continue to troll here i will have you banned period

you said you were here to "taunt " and another said to "mock "

i will not tolerate that BS on this board . i had enough of it at ESPN